Boeing Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014
1,985 Reviews

3.5
1,985 Reviews

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.
Jim McNerney Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules usually allow for a good work/life balance (in 152 reviews)

• Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently (in 186 reviews)

Cons
  • Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be (in 30 reviews)

• Management spends all their time in meetings pleasing upper management to make themselves look good (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Boeing at Kennedy Space Center

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Kennedy Space Center, FL
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Kennedy Space Center, FL

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than a year

Pros

A wonderful and fascinating job...
    Considering the history of KSC, from Mercury to Apollo to the Shuttles to the ISS, and the cutting-edge science done there on an ongoing basis, I was proud to be a small part of it all...
    The people I worked with were great. I learned alot during my time there.

Cons

The contract nature of the 'business' of NASA-KSC, which is after all, just another government program.

Boeing, more of the same.

Current Employee - Flight Line  in  Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Flight Line in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, easy culture, easy work

Cons

Old infrastructure, policies, procedures that do not benefit anyone or the bottom line. Death by procedure.

Advance to the century. The company will not advance. with the old employee mentality

Fantastic employer with great benefits

Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Boeing invests heavily in employees' training and well being, and offers wide opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Business can be cyclical at times, resulting in layoffs.

Be more equitable in sharing opportunities with all qualified employees. Value diversity of people and experiences.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to earn a living

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Interesting work, always something to do, smart people to learn from, HUGE company means it is possible to change careers and still stay with them, excellent benefits, unlikely to experience violations of labor law. This company is now employing the 4th generation of my family. The pay is decent, although it seems to be mid-market for a world-class company.

Cons

You can be "just a warm body" in some organizations. Some organizations experience repeated, multiple re-orgs, when budget is tight or work is moving, it can be difficult to change jobs or careers. Inside and outside Boeing, there seems to be "Teflon(c)" culture of non-accountability and short-term profits instead of long-term good for the company+customer+employees+community.

Layoffs or strikes: it's a good idea to have an emergency fund anyway (check out Suzi Orman or Dave Ramsey's advice). Do that and you'll be okay. People are people everywhere, and Boeing is no exception. Occasionally, an executive or an entire management chain is toxic. Just like any other job, YOU are responsible to look out for your own well-being and to recognize when it's time to move on.

Commute: in Puget Sound area sucks. 1.75-2 hours routinely to get 45 miles home via personal auto. Longer if using mass transit or van pools.
    Job relocations: in the Puget Sound area, 75 miles is considered a "local" transfer and you cannot decline to go and still be eligible for state unemployment benefits.
    Because of these two, recommend living between Everett and Renton or always be a renter, like military folks. Living a ways outside one of these will gain better lifestyle, bigger house, you are hosed when your job moves.
    Unless you are Fabrication folks, your job WILL move; consider your spouse's work, children's school and sitters. , For Fab, remember, they can move too. A relative was a Fab manager for many years and worked, Seattle, Auburn, Renton, and Everett; as well as rotating shifts.

Always lean more on long-range health of company, customer, employee and less on short-term deliverables.

Boeing IT organization

Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst  in  Renton, WA
    Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Renton, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Superb benefits across the company compared to market.
    CIO sincere about his open door policy
    Work Life balance is encouraged

Cons

- size of IT org makes change lethargic and difficult.
    - pushing senior/knowledgeable employees out to replace with entry level for lower pay
    - mid-level management bully employees - probably due to competitive culture and wanting to impress exec mgmt
    - work life balance is difficult to juggle

- stop the bullying! gaining loyalty of employees will take you further along than making yourself look good to YOUR manager.

Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Business Skills Rotation Program  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Skills Rotation Program in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits and flexibility with a ton of exposure -- in the right position. Many people complain that there isn't enough work to do, which is a blatant lie. In an enterprise the size of Boeing, finding processes to improve is part of being a successful employee.

Boeing has a ton of retirement-age employees, which is good for young people, as they are well-positioned to take over some very high-paying positions in the not-so-distant future.

Cons

Lots of low-hanging fruit, but that is quickly changing. Lazy employees continue to be offered early retirement.

Consider hiring less people. Change per hourly pay to a higher salary. Consider hiring 1 person for every 3 people laid off or retiring.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Finance  in  Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Finance in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time

Pros

Company stability, benefits package, diversity of jobs and locations - you can find what you want to do and where if you try hard enough

Cons

Bureaucratic, political, hierarchical culture. Benefits are good but have declined sharply in the last ~ 5 years. Not on the cutting edge of business/leadership trends.

Get rid of old "Theory X" leaders that drive down morale, productivity, and effectiveness. More strategic flow down to middle management and employees. Cut the red tape.

Very large company for better and worse

I worked at Boeing

Pros

A wide range of opportunities are available. I was involved in some very interesting projects. The company benefits were excellent. My wife suffered a broken hip and all medical services were provided with no hassle on our part.

Cons

I came into Boeing as part of an acquisition. After a year's honeymoon period I found myself in part of a group in friendly competition with an established part of the company. My group was eliminated.

Good Tight Community

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is nice and open to help

Cons

Not great vacation hours. 1.5 hours accumulated a week-> 1 week every 6 months

good or bad

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

They are pretty good people there. No jobs available now though.

Cons

I agree, no companies are perfect. This one is OK one.

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!