Boeing

www.boeing.com

Boeing Reviews in Seattle, WA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.

Jim McNerney Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules usually allow for a good work/life balance(in 150 reviews)

• Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently(in 184 reviews)

Cons
  • Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be(in 30 reviews)

• Management spends all their time in meetings pleasing upper management to make themselves look good(in 32 reviews)

710 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The company has a lot to offer, but it has its drawbacks

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsBoeing pays pretty good and has great benefits such as vacation time, sick leave, 401K, dental and medial etc.

ConsNot a stable company to work for and promotions are difficult to get if you are a common worker. I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management, paid for by Boeing, yet I was laid-off before I ever had the opportunity to use my new skills with Boeing.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen thinking of advancement of your employees, don't forget the little guy. They have dreams too.

I found it very depressing to work at Boeing.

Integral Fuel Cell Sealer (Former Employee) Everett, WA

ProsSteady wages, great benefits, some interesting opportunities to do work outside of the normal scope of the job if you want to.

ConsMost people are pretty apathetic, lots of not-so-useful online training, often felt pushed to just make things look right even if they weren't totally compliant.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue engaging with employees and involving them, it's the right road even though out's slow going.

Enduring 10 years slow cultural change, need to accelerate, HR is the organization most resistant to change.

Quality Manager (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsSuper benefits package for all demographic groups of employees. Very competitive salary plans. Company pays for multiple degrees and certifications per employee. Large portion of employees can retire over next 5 years allowing a new workforce generation to bring their talents to the business.

ConsWorkforce is old and gray. majority of managers (career Boeing) are stuck in theory X leadership, don't know how to use the talent on their teams and continue to do the same things and expect different results.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe courageous and invest some time asking 'What' to newer employees. Challenge the status quo and build the next generation of leaders.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall positive until it came to outsourcing.

IT Analyst (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsEnjoyed working for this company especially in the airplane business. Loved being part of a company that built awesome airplanes. Training is a major plus and industry leader.

ConsBoeing experience was a positive one until it came to outsourcing. My job and entire organization was outsourced. The company no longer encourages people to invest their time and effort with continuing outsourcing. Example of 787 being built in South Carolina. All of the planes built there have to be completed in Everett. Outsourcing of experienced engineers to Southern California. IT outsourcing and job elimination by moving the group out of state and not offering jobs or to transfer. Not a good outlook....

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit outsourcing your talent, in the long run it's no good for Boeing.

Manufacturing, not R&D.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsGood work/life balance, stable employment for years at a time, excellent benefits.

ConsTechnology lags behind the times, and it is hard to bring new methods into the company. Lots of cuts and tight budgets mean your team may be just you. It can be hard to find the right resources for more complicated tasks because of the maze of red tape and overlapping requirements.

If you work here longer than five years, you risk being channeled into aerospace as your only job option. That is fine if you are an aerospace engineer but can be problematic if you're not.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop union busting. Apply Lean+ to your own processes instead of imposing meaningless requirements on the people who are building your products. Stop trying to build planes by outsourcing -- you have valuable expertise in the company. Put it in one place and use it.

Lazy Bee Hive of Engineers

Test Engineer (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsVery competitive pay, beyond great benefits,easy to move within the company, lots of training is offered, building amazing aircraft.

ConsIt's difficult to find people who work hard and love their job. It is mandatory to join the engineering union (SPEEA) and because of the union it is nearly impossible for anyone to get fired, except during layoff seasons. Well over the majority of employees will retire in 5-10 years and you get the feeling they want to 'coast' their way out. Not a motivating place to work. Not a culture who wants change or excitement. Also I hope you don't mind starting work at 6am, which is the only time you will find parking.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of just pampering your interns to lure them in, treat your employees to a great working environment so you don't struggle to retain them.

Easy to rise up, but nothing good at the top

Many (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsOpportunity in every field or discipline

ConsGood ol boy club is hard to get in or navigate

Pay and benefits good but that is changing...

Strategy Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsStable company and environment currently and projected into the future

ConsI have never witnessed blatant politics and poor management with the other companies I have worked for

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people and act on your words for creating an exciting place to work

I am an intern, and so far, I'm disappointed

Project Manager Intern (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsThe benefits and pay are both good. It looks great on your resume, and you can do schooling/learn a lot from the company. there is a lot of opportunities to move around if you are in a department that isn't well suited for you.

ConsThe generation gap is tremendous, nobody is open to change, everything feels outdated, I don't have enough work to keep me busy most days. I also don't agree with the work ethics of some people in my department. I have actually seen some people take naps at their desks... every day.

RUNNNNN! (from the movie Minority Report)

Structural Design Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe lure of engineering technology is strong. Once you are hired in, you can transfer to a different program every 2-3 years to keep things fresh. Engineering union SPEEA will keep you informed and will help you keep your compensation and benefits intact. You will find brilliant people in your journeys. Be assured they are self-motivated, they don't care about getting paid a decent salary and they are unsung heros, getting work done DESPITE management. I retired last year after over thirty years at Boeing.

ConsManagement is terrible. Local management are nothing more than schedule monkeys. The good bosses get promoted fast, then you are left to train a new boss every 12 months. Executive management are outsourcing and selling off core competencies of the company, such as engineering design. They worship Jack Walsh & the GE "garage sale" model to show a profit. The bull flows heavily from the upper levels of management - trust your SPEEA union to tell you what is REALLY going on. Don't work overtime and take care of yourself. Don't pour your heart & soul
    into any job- you will get crushed.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your talented and experienced engineers. Top down autocracy is what ruined the 787. Why are you outsourcing engineering? Learn to say NO to your bosses.

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!