Boeing

www.boeing.com

Boeing Reviews in Seattle, WA

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.

Jim McNerney Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules usually allow for a good work/life balance (in 152 reviews)

• Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently (in 186 reviews)

Cons
  • Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be (in 30 reviews)

• Management spends all their time in meetings pleasing upper management to make themselves look good (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights
720 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Boeing IT organization

IT Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Renton, WA

ProsSuperb benefits across the company compared to market.
    CIO sincere about his open door policy
    Work Life balance is encouraged

Cons- size of IT org makes change lethargic and difficult.
    - pushing senior/knowledgeable employees out to replace with entry level for lower pay
    - mid-level management bully employees - probably due to competitive culture and wanting to impress exec mgmt
    - work life balance is difficult to juggle

Advice to Senior Management- stop the bullying! gaining loyalty of employees will take you further along than making yourself look good to YOUR manager.

Cannot Wait to Retire

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsLarge enough company to move around until you find something you really like - pretty decent benefits too. Plus, the company offers excellent back to school benefits.

ConsThe company changed the way they let people know their retention value. It used to be 1,2, or 3 (maybe A, B, and C) and if you were a 3 or a C, you were nervous around layoff time. Now the company is silent about where you rank, and I've seen a ton of older employees head out the door since this policy started. Shame on you...

Advice to Senior ManagementEnforce documented processes, senior management is looking the other way and we are headed down a slippery slope. I've seen other orgs inject their dogma on another org's process and get away with doing that and NOT documenting their process - how does this happen when we all have to take ethics training! WAKE THE F UP Jim, I think you are cowering in your corner and let this happen because you will be old and retired when this spit hits the fan!

Great place to start a career

Business Skills Rotation Program (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsExcellent benefits and flexibility with a ton of exposure -- in the right position. Many people complain that there isn't enough work to do, which is a blatant lie. In an enterprise the size of Boeing, finding processes to improve is part of being a successful employee.

Boeing has a ton of retirement-age employees, which is good for young people, as they are well-positioned to take over some very high-paying positions in the not-so-distant future.

ConsLots of low-hanging fruit, but that is quickly changing. Lazy employees continue to be offered early retirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider hiring less people. Change per hourly pay to a higher salary. Consider hiring 1 person for every 3 people laid off or retiring.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Tight Community

Software Engineer Intern (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsEveryone is nice and open to help

ConsNot great vacation hours. 1.5 hours accumulated a week-> 1 week every 6 months

Boeing, more of the same.

Flight Line (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsGreat benefits, easy culture, easy work

ConsOld infrastructure, policies, procedures that do not benefit anyone or the bottom line. Death by procedure.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvance to the century. The company will not advance. with the old employee mentality

Good place to work

Finance (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsCompany stability, benefits package, diversity of jobs and locations - you can find what you want to do and where if you try hard enough

ConsBureaucratic, political, hierarchical culture. Benefits are good but have declined sharply in the last ~ 5 years. Not on the cutting edge of business/leadership trends.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of old "Theory X" leaders that drive down morale, productivity, and effectiveness. More strategic flow down to middle management and employees. Cut the red tape.

Pretty great company to work for if you don't get laid off!

Electician/Mechanic (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsThe pay and benefits are better then decent, you get maxed out after 6 years. The people are very friendly for the most part, you can use sick leave like it's vacation on day's when you don't want to come in, double time on Sundays, pretty good cafeteria's, good competitive ping pong during breaks and lunches, there's day's where you hardly have to work and you get paid the same if you were working hard, make a lot of friends.

ConsThe only thing that's constant is change all the time, not enough vacation time, mandatory weekends, the place can make you a work aholic with all the overtime give you, thankfulness work at times, parking is horrible getting there is half the battle, you walk a ton, lay offs make for uncertain times, it's all about selling the beans, you feel like just a number at times, the training was very stressful almost sickening with what they put you through but once you make it out it's all gravy well except for your first re-cert experience which is very nerve racking as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore time off I don't live to work I work to live so an extra week of vacation a year would be a great place to start when it comes to the next negotiations in 2024.

advice

Supply Chain (Former Employee) Auburn, WA

Prosgreat company to work for best in aviation

Consslow down growth to mgt levels

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain ur team leads in leadership roles

Intense

Strategy Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat products, more than lip service to ethics. Excellent opportunities to work with new and exciting products. Get the right job, and innovation is highly valued.

ConsWork schedule requirements is hackneyed and varies by manager. Telecommuting is currently out of favor. Stop following the management fad of the week.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is great to tell employees about the need to cut costs, but avoid making it look like cutting the older workforce when management didn't push hiring younger people before now. Yes, your workforce is mostly at or near retirement age, but you can look at the past history of layoffs to understand why that is true.

Boeing: Like the Mafia, once you're in you can't leave

Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsVery, very high salaries. Pay is easily 10-15% more than industry average. Good company culture, lots of friendly people, management is positive.

ConsRepetitive work, low feeling that your contribution matters, extremely bureaucratic corporate structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop outsourcing jobs, it should be clear by this point that "partners", "contractors" and outsourcing companies turn out a terrible product that direct hires have to spend an excessive amount of work to fix. Stop making job roles so narrowly defined, it makes it impossible to "innovate". Yes, I used that word. Overall happy with the company, although I did leave. Grandfather was a 20 year veteran of the firm.

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!