Boeing
3.5 of 5 1,695 reviews
www.boeing.com Chicago, IL 5000+ Employees

Boeing Reviews in Seattle, WA

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.

Jim McNerney Jr.

625 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If it's not Boeing, I'm not going

Stress Analyst (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for less than a year

ProsBoeing cares a lot about its employees and provides endless opportunities for people to move throughout the company and as an atmosphere that everyone is working towards the same great goal. They also put a lot of their efforts into employee development.

ConsAlthough with my limited experience at the company, it seems that promotions are very difficult to receive, making it difficult to move up in the company.

Business and planning analyst

Business and Planning Analyst II (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work life balance. The pay for the area in terms of hourly wage is decent. The benefits are top notch.

ConsNot a lot of opportunities for individuals to move faster. Everyone seems to be on the same path.

Stable but archaic

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStable
Opportunities to change jobs/function within company

ConsSlow/bureaucratic
Outdated facilities
Poor hiring and promotion policies

Advice to Senior ManagementBoeing needs to join the 21st century to continue to be an attractive employer particularly in areas where it is not the employer of choice (business, project management, IT, etc). This includes pay and promotion based on performance not years of service. It also mean investment in modern, functional facilities. Sometime providing small perks that increase employee morale increases the ROI far above what you can achieve with nickel and dime cost cutting. The products Boeing produces are important and innovative but that's not enough to retain the best & brightest, particularly those that don't work closely to the product.

A fostering environment in Washington!

Structural Intern (Former Employee)
Tukwila, WA

I worked at Boeing as an intern for less than a year

ProsI have had two internships so far with Boeing. One was in Ridley Park and the other was in Tukwila. There is a drastic difference between the two locations. Tukwila was a very open and relaxing environment. The people around me all wanted me to have the best time and learn the most I could in the three months. Great pay and benefits. Lots of chances to network with upper level management. Over 1000 interns to interact with. Wonderful experience and location!

ConsThe work you do is not so technical and can get dull real fast. There is a lot of bureaucracy and paperwork to get done and it does hinder progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementBoeing has great depth of knowledge with their workers, however, that pool of knowledge is not properly being used. So much talent going to waste!

Good for a career if you can stomach it

Procurement Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood place to start at or even have a career whether or not you love the product. Diverse group of people, relaxed environment and they treat their employees very well. Flexible hours depending on your position and great benefits.

ConsPolitics, there are a lot of people who are just ad at their jobs who instead of being fired are just moved around to another position. Hard to move up in management for some despite doing great work unless you go to Charleston or another site. Projects can drag on due to laziness of employees (nicknamed "The Lazy B"). People switching jobs so often, forcing people to be retrained, that it is difficult to get things done. Too much tie spent on presentations that mean nothing and goals that driven by metrics that actually hurt the companies bottom line. Not as progressive as one would think.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people go based on performance, not for other reasons. Be open to new ideas and stop using metrics so much

"It is a great place to work, but I worry about my future job security"

Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than a year

ProsCool projects, vacation+, flexible schedules, affordable health coverage, 401K match, bonuses, and annual raises that generally match the inflation rate. All this is slowly being chipped away.

ConsEveryday i hear from the people that have been there awhile how it used to be a great place to work. Even with record profits they are cutting pensions, benefits, outsourcing jobs and taking away a lot of past incentives. The work is fulfilling when you can complete it, but there is so much red tape you can barely manage to meet yearly goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs you cut pay, benefits and technologist in the name of securing our global competitive advantage, just remember you are reducing our causal ambiguity, which was created by the brilliant people you are forcing out the door. What is left when you are done will be easily replicable by the new companies in China, Russia and France.

Working at Boeing

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBoeing is a wonderful place to work for, it has given me the opportunity to grow.

ConsBoeing caters to Engineers. IT Professionals do work hard in the company but are considered a cost to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is room for improvement in the treatment of IT Professionals.

Great place to develop and build a career

Project Management Specialist (Former Employee)
Everett, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent place to learn and develop a valuable skillset, as well as gain experience inside one of the world's largest companies. You'll work with a diverse group of people and gain a global perspective on business & trade.

ConsPolitics makes the company move slow and can inhibit career progression. There are a ton of "lifers" who have been with the company for so long that they will never be fired and hardly try to work hard in order to move up. Not a great place to be in the middle of your career if you want to move up. The good ol' boy network is alive and well.

IT infrastructure in embarrassing for an engineering and technology company. Horrible database management practices on very outdated software.

Advice to Senior ManagementYouth Movement! Get rid of the under performing lifers who have been there for so long that they are resistant to change and don't fear getting laid off because of their seniority. It forces young talent to leave to find ways to move up in their career.

Good working environment, but heavy bureaucracy.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent benefits and lots of positions to move around to within the company to expand ones skills. Boeing's adherence to good practices both federal and otherwise means that employees learn from the some of the best workers the world has to offer. Boeing is truly a world class company.

ConsEmployee advancement can be slow and tedious and because IT is not a competency, Boeing salaries lag. Upper management levies heavy bureaucratic processes and policies without providing adequate resources to perform them which makes for burdensome and negative work environments.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with the great communication. Please keep a watchful eye on your employees and try to make sure that working at Boeing continues to be one we can be proud of.

very good

Pilot (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boeing as a contractor for more than 8 years

Prosvery open environment, lots of synergy between employees, very supportive management team, encourages innovation, and lets you be self directed

Consmany hard challenges, lots of projects, sometimes there can be employee politics/disputes etc. overall pretty good I would have to say though

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!

Boeing Videos

Boeing – Why Work for Us?

Boeing is the world’s largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. Additionally, Boeing designs and manufactures rotorcraft, electronic and defense… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boeing reviews and ratings in Seattle, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boeing CEO Jim McNerney Jr. All 625 reviews posted anonymously by Boeing employees.