Boeing

www.boeing.com

Boeing Reviews in Seattle, WA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.

Jim McNerney Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules usually allow for a good work/life balance(in 150 reviews)

• Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently(in 184 reviews)

Cons
  • Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be(in 30 reviews)

• Management spends all their time in meetings pleasing upper management to make themselves look good(in 32 reviews)

710 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work

Finance (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsCompany stability, benefits package, diversity of jobs and locations - you can find what you want to do and where if you try hard enough

ConsBureaucratic, political, hierarchical culture. Benefits are good but have declined sharply in the last ~ 5 years. Not on the cutting edge of business/leadership trends.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of old "Theory X" leaders that drive down morale, productivity, and effectiveness. More strategic flow down to middle management and employees. Cut the red tape.

Pretty great company to work for if you don't get laid off!

Electician/Mechanic (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsThe pay and benefits are better then decent, you get maxed out after 6 years. The people are very friendly for the most part, you can use sick leave like it's vacation on day's when you don't want to come in, double time on Sundays, pretty good cafeteria's, good competitive ping pong during breaks and lunches, there's day's where you hardly have to work and you get paid the same if you were working hard, make a lot of friends.

ConsThe only thing that's constant is change all the time, not enough vacation time, mandatory weekends, the place can make you a work aholic with all the overtime give you, thankfulness work at times, parking is horrible getting there is half the battle, you walk a ton, lay offs make for uncertain times, it's all about selling the beans, you feel like just a number at times, the training was very stressful almost sickening with what they put you through but once you make it out it's all gravy well except for your first re-cert experience which is very nerve racking as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore time off I don't live to work I work to live so an extra week of vacation a year would be a great place to start when it comes to the next negotiations in 2024.

advice

Supply Chain (Former Employee) Auburn, WA

Prosgreat company to work for best in aviation

Consslow down growth to mgt levels

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain ur team leads in leadership roles

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intense

Strategy Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat products, more than lip service to ethics. Excellent opportunities to work with new and exciting products. Get the right job, and innovation is highly valued.

ConsWork schedule requirements is hackneyed and varies by manager. Telecommuting is currently out of favor. Stop following the management fad of the week.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is great to tell employees about the need to cut costs, but avoid making it look like cutting the older workforce when management didn't push hiring younger people before now. Yes, your workforce is mostly at or near retirement age, but you can look at the past history of layoffs to understand why that is true.

Boeing: Like the Mafia, once you're in you can't leave

Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsVery, very high salaries. Pay is easily 10-15% more than industry average. Good company culture, lots of friendly people, management is positive.

ConsRepetitive work, low feeling that your contribution matters, extremely bureaucratic corporate structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop outsourcing jobs, it should be clear by this point that "partners", "contractors" and outsourcing companies turn out a terrible product that direct hires have to spend an excessive amount of work to fix. Stop making job roles so narrowly defined, it makes it impossible to "innovate". Yes, I used that word. Overall happy with the company, although I did leave. Grandfather was a 20 year veteran of the firm.

Great Company!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsNice people to work with and lots of mentoring. Excellent opportunities for advancement.

ConsPace is very slow compared to some of the tech companies and software tends to be out of date. The pay can certainly be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive hirer raises!

Great benefits decent salaries lost in the shuffle

Materials and Processes Engineer (Current Employee) Kent, WA

ProsCompany in the past had great benefits and employee friendly atmosphere. People who joined 22 years or more earlier have the best benefits. retirement, 40k are 2 great benefits. Medical dental are good compared to others in the region.

ConsEnvironment currently is very unfriendly and often stressful. Jobs are going away and no one can be sure. Older employees are particularly under threat of losing job. There is little growth potential for most engineers and even horizontal mobility has come to a halt. Jobs go away but people are not offered any relocation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower management should fight to keep their relations with employees good. Corporate policies are sometimes a killer to employee morale.

Design engineering

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsRelaxing, low stress, and lots of resources when you need help, lastly benefits are nice

ConsEverything works slow, nothing really changes, actual engineering work is out sourced

Advice to Senior ManagementHard to meet with management due to constant meetings, should in courage engagement, innovation, mentorship

Interns treated very well

Supply Chain Analyst Intern (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsIntern Compensation/Benefits
    Work/Life Balance
    First Line Managers Generally Fair and Easy to Work With
    Opportunity to Build a Career

ConsVery Early Mornings! (I'm expected to be in and working by 6)
    Low Full-Time Pay
    HUGE generation gap
    Older Employees Extremely Resistant to Change
    Hostility to College Educated Younger Employees
    4 Years Behind on Technology in Offices

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of employees are looking to retire and it isn't clear if you guys have a plan for how to deal with it.

Constant change but that keeps one from being complacent.

Technical Designer (Former Employee) Everett, WA

ProsPride in the quality products they produce. Great work environment with fair pay and good benefits.

ConsA manufacturing business with market fluctuations which result in hire/layoff cycles.
    Can be difficult to get rehired after a prolonged layoff.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork closer with employees on a specific training path that will make them a better contributor to their teem.

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!