Boeing

Updated January 24, 2015
2,297 Reviews
3.5
2,297 Reviews

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.
Jim McNerney Jr.
1,011 Ratings

Pros
  • Boeing offers great flexibility to its employees with their work/life balance (in 186 reviews)

• Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently (in 246 reviews)

Cons
  • Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be (in 44 reviews)

• Management spends all their time in meetings pleasing upper management to make themselves look good (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

846 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to start off your career.

Former Employee - Business Skills Rotation Program in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Skills Rotation Program in Seattle, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at Boeing as a first job out of college is very structured. There are training classes that all new employees must go through and depending on your field, more specific material.

After the training period, work is pretty much the same for more matured programs and is low stress.

Great work life balance, I rarely ever worked more than 40 hours weekly.

Cons

Boring and uninspiring. As a new college graduate I thought I could get in and make a difference, but most employees are resilient to change and new ideas.

Pool new hires into a separate team versus mixing them in with current employees.

Steady as she goes

Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

not a whole lot changes from year to year at boeing. they are starting to reduce spending which seems to be pouring into the way they handle benefits.

Cons

it is a big company and hard to feel like you make a difference. The products are pretty neat but it is easy to feel disconnected

be a little more gracious.

Excellent Company, Gov't Contractor & Aerospace Industry is Cyclical

Former Employee - Office Administrator in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Office Administrator in Renton, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Please take the following description in reasonable context, I am not suggesting that this employer doesn't have problems or their share of issues to improve. But considering the scale (around 120,000-190,000 international employees), considering the products (airplanes, jets, U.S. Defense, military equipment, etc. ), considering the consumers (everyone of us + many foreign countries & governments) and considering the high stakes (life and death), there aren't many other U.S. companies that can compare to them, their history, or the reputation of William Boeing Sr., who, after WWII when the need for airplanes declined, kept his employees and taught them how to build furniture.

I've worked for a few employers and I'll prize the three years I worked for Boeing Headquarters (Renton, Washington) more than any other employer, for the rest of my life.

On a comprehensive level, "from 50,000 feet", Boeing is an Excellent employer, excellent business practices and everyone who has ever worked there will tell you the employees they meet their make their Boeing employment experience something so good , they will never forget the place or the people & friends they met their.

Cons

Aerospace as an industry in the U.S. is cyclical - meaning that SOME of the people they hire will have shorter employment than others. In the mid 1990's Boeing Commercial Aviation employed about 180,000 people worldwide, but the company goes through cycles of higher and lower demands for planes, so they hire and lay-off accordingly. They give 60 Day notices when they lay people off.

In a place where process is king, and pressures are great, please keep some Original Thinkers involved with as many processes as possible. There will always be naysayers; so live that what they say can't be proved by how you live, lead the company or talk to others.

Great compensation through EAHI - Engineering Accelerated Hiring Initiative

Current Employee - Summer Engineering Intern in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Summer Engineering Intern in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Compensation - lump sum for housing and living expenses upfront and in addition to hourly pay rate, location - proximity to Seattle, WA

Cons

Not entirely interested in type of work, if someone was really interested in the aerospace industry, this would be the perfect position; although my degree is in engineering, I was looking for more flexibility of type of work, like that of a start-up; Boeing, at least to some of its employees, is known as a slow moving company since the development and turnover rates of its products are not fast paced as design and development takes months or years, and thousands of people. As expected of such a large company, contributions of single employees aren't easily recognized by upper management.

I worked as an IBIP and it was very outstanding experience

Former Employee - IBIP in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - IBIP in Seattle, WA

I worked at Boeing as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very good mentors and training opportunities.

Cons

No sponsorship for visa for international people

Please change your international hiring policies

Structured

Current Employee - Assembler in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Assembler in Renton, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The food, company transportation, location, pay, benefits

Cons

im happy with the company

none so far

Business Internship Rewarding

Former Employee - Business Analyst Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Boeing

Pros

I was assigned into a great team where I was given a lot of work to do. By the end of the internship, I had taken over the full analyst role, which was nice because I got a great opportunity to have an experience similar to a full-time employee. Additionally, work life balance is great with this company, and the benefits/pay was pretty good for an intern. Lastly, Seattle was a great place to be in the summer.

Cons

I heard the work experience really depends on the group you end up with. I had a great manager, so I got a lot of work, but some friends of mine had bad experiences because they did not get have as much responsibility.

Continue to provide a lot of responsibility to interns who show that they can handle it!

Aerospace painter

Current Employee - Aerospace Painter in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Aerospace Painter in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Great place to work with awesome benefits and the ability to expand your work skills to work in areas that are beyond your current ability

Cons

At times you can feel lost in the croud and not feel like a person but a number with no voice

None

Not the great company it once was.

Current Employee - Flight Test Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Flight Test Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Outstanding benefits, average salary, good place for an aviation enthusiast. A good work ethic goes a long way since the company is full of slow, lazy people who have given up.

Cons

Senior management's vision doesn't extend past tomorrow's stock price. Innovation is dead, layoffs by the thousands, employees (especially in unionized jobs) are openly told they are costly commodities, not contributors. Extreme corporate inertia and red tape makes individual contribution nearly impossible.

Worry less about the stock price, and look to history, to the world-changing innovation that shaped the company through the 50s and 60s. Do what it takes to become that company again.

Technical Analyst with Engineers

Current Employee - Not A Good Company for Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Not A Good Company for Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Great medical benefits, work-life balance does not exist: if you work here, the company owns your life, great educational benefits: if you get a C+ or above: your books & tuition are reimbursed.

Cons

On a layoff, the company does not help the employee to land another job within the company. Boeing wastes the knowledge & the experiences that an employee has gained. With such a large company, Boeing should be able use the talents & knowledge of that employee.

Depends on which management:
    For Boeing management: manage your people correctly. There are a lot of slackers, even first-line managers are very aware of the slackers. These first-line managers have caught the slackers taking a nap on regular time & over-time pay and don't do anything about it just because these employees have more than 30 years in the company.
    For upper Boeing mgmt.: If things are working, leave things alone. Don't be so greedy for your compensation. Everyone needs to work with one goal - i.e. for the existence of what the company produces correctly the first time.
    For the unions: Be fair, if an employee is not doing their best, then it is not best for the company. Be reasonable with the benefits. Don't be greedy.
    For outside company: Former Boeing employees have a lot to offer - i.e. knowledge & experience. It just depends if the employee care so much for the mission & vision of the company.