Boeing Reviews

• Seattle, WA Area

1. Great and secure job, for now

Current Employee - Structural Design Engineer in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Structural Design Engineer in Renton, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent healthcare benefits (the best out of Puget Sound). Company matches $200 for every 20 hours you volunteer for an eligible nonprofit (does not include professional, religious or political associations, and pet shelters). On the professional side, bosses are more than willing to work through any scheduling issues at work with no problems. The work can be challenging and cutting edge, but you need to go out and seek that for yourself.

Cons

Parking is a doozy if you are working at the Everett plant and you can't really catch the bus from most areas either. A general feeling of job insecurity as more warn notices are issued and work moves out of Puget Sound.

Upper Executive management make their employees feel like just a number and expense on a balance sheet. I realize the market is competitive but let your workers feel like you are investing in us and the great employees will follow suit. Allow for a less aggressive engineering schedule in development programs and give your engineers the transparency of cost throughout development vs the current status quo, to provide costs only if you ask and have a "need to know" to reduce recurring costs for the airplane.

good to learn, bad to grow

Current Employee - Computer Programmer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Computer Programmer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunities to explore in different areas. There are many COTS products used in the company.

Cons

If you are a developer, it is not good place for you to grow as you will not use much of the programming.

Many of them only care about 'business', not people and technology development.

3. Great career and many internal opportunities, not perfect but far from terrible!

Current Employee - Structural Engineer/Systems Engineer in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Structural Engineer/Systems Engineer in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Internal opportunities to transfer - many of the people I work with have jumped around inside the company to gain insight in all facets of commercial airplanes.
    Pay - pay is respectable, I believe Boeing hires in high and if you are a proactive engineer (ie- not sitting back and letting your projects go delinquent) the annual bump is nice (~5%).
    People - In my experience I have been able to work with experts (in their respected fields) and have enjoyed the exposure of working with them.
    Growth - In the short time I've been with BCA (3yrs) if there was an area of growth (training, exposure) I wanted to participate in, my managers (I've had 3 different managers) have all been supportive, so I do not think it was just the people I worked for but rather the company makes it apparent it values training and broadening it's employees.
    Very unique experiences - depending on job can participate in flight testing of airplanes (not as exciting as it sounds, but still very cool), opportunities to travel (I recently switched groups for more growth and in both jobs I've been presented opportunities to travel to the far east for 2 weeks or to other parts of the US for onsite evaluations). Some jobs (like Customer airline support) have lots of opportunities to travel every month to multiple regions of the world for short stints (1 - 3 weeks).

Cons

Office Culture: Everything depends greatly on what program you work on and in what role (Design Engineer versus manufacturing engineer versus Customer Support etc etc) but for the roles I've been apart of (DE and Systems Engineer) the work culture seems very "historic" - typical cube farm, spend 80% of day working on computer. Doesn't have that "wondrous" vibe you get when you think of Google (but I've never worked/been to google).
    Promotions are based on "years of experience" (YoE), it is also based on many other factors but the YoE is the most "black and white" that the approval boards look at , if you dont meet the year requirement you wont get further in the evaluation process.
    Union - I have held other jobs in different industries where unions were non existent and I felt that I had great job security and benefits. The professional union (in my opinion) seems unnecessary (the union has provided a lot of perks that otherwise wouldnt exist) but the union tension and the propaganda and everything else that goes along with it, as an engineer, I'd rather just not be apart of it.

Help change the work culture by bringing back the training opportunities that Boeing used to allow, specifically, assistance for any outside of work personal growth. Boeing used to allow funding to take classes in an area that interests employees (cooking classes, languages, etc) but now only allows funding for classes directly related to the employees job. The former allows employees to expand and make a sub-culture with other interested employees (and removes the financial barrier), so while Boeing may not be able to make fun slides and rock climbing walls and lounge rooms like google, but it could offer this great opportunity for employees to expand.

5. Understanding "The Playground" at Boeing

Current Employee - Procurement Agent II in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Procurement Agent II in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

You have an entire playground to learn anything here if you're willing to search out people understand the products. Strong stable company that can develop anyone while also having the job for anyone.

Cons

You might get lost in the playground if you don't have a map. The sea of people makes it hard to understand your value as a new employee, with great opportunity comes great responsibility, or slow pace of the culture.

Not the company culture for me :/

Current Employee - Operations Program Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Program Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Compensation and benefits are nice. Especially, LTP: Boeing will pay up to $10,000 each year for education after you have been there for a year.

Cons

The people that work at Boeing are very conservative. I live in Seattle and have a pretty wacky personality. I stick out like a sore thumb among my colleagues. I think for boasting that they are such a "LEAN" company, Boeing has invested in the worst software. The software that I have to work with takes days to complete what should take minutes. This company is living in the dark ages. Also, work/life balance is not ideal. I value being able to have a flexible schedule and work at home a bit, but my manager won't allow it.

Too strict. Loosen up a bit. It makes me want to work harder and better when I am not micro-managed.

7. Great experience! Excellent managers and cooperation

Former Intern - Supply Chain in Renton, WA
    Former Intern - Supply Chain in Renton, WA

I worked at Boeing as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Full employee benefits; retirement plans, vacations, health insurance

Cons

I can't think of one right know

8. Good solid company great working environment

Former Employee - Aiircraft Test Technician A in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Aiircraft Test Technician A in Everett, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

excellent working conditions, pay,benifits, eating, dinning, safety, heath benefits, work quality,retirement benefits.
    everyone working for the same goal.

Cons

parking sometimes thing are a little slow. force employees to exercise or stretch at the beginning of shift.
    forced overtime even if you have other plans on a weekend.

do not force employees to exercise or stretch at the beginning of shift. force them to work weekends if they have other plans.

comfortable but not a good fit for millenials

Current Employee - Procurement Agent II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Procurement Agent II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is fair.
    Work hours can be flexible depending on the department (9/80 schedule for example)
    Interesting product
    Due to company size, there are a lot of internal activities in which you can participate.

Cons

Promotions are based on seat time, less so than actual performance.
    Company culture is old school.
    A lot of convoluted rules, especially in the Defense side. This makes decision making somewhat difficult.

Listen to the millennial requests for growth within the company. A lot of young people feel trapped in their positions because they can't move from one type of job to another. Allow people to move more freely within the company to maintain the workforce.

10. Overall great company to work for.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Extensive employees services, ranging from community groups to advanced training. Perks are great as well.

Cons

Frequent management shifts, some IT departments behind the times. Career advancement is not promoted enough, people get to comfortable and neglect current technologies and trends.

Make sure your managers are inspiring and actually have experience doing the work that they are managing, at least the first level ones. Promote career growth and adaptation of new technologies.

Only a good employer for non software engineers that will have a chance to "touch the plane".

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its very rare to have in Boeing, but the work I had was exciting and challenging. I can say most of y colleagues did not have teams with similar experience.

Cons

You'll constantly see your co-workers laid off and wonder how long it'll be until you get the axe. You'll be told promotional opportunities are non-existent, you'll be drastically underpaid, you won't have as much vacation time as your friends (not counting the Christmas week off of course), you'll find that management has a massive complicated structuring with a lot of old school thinking.

I feel you've already decided making the shareholders happy is more worth it than keeping strong employees around. The idea of the temporary employee that you can hire and layoff and get some other employee to replace the spot easily (since so many people are looking for work) is a horrible idea. It will hurt the companies' ability to compete over time since the alternative is to hire other third party companies to do the work for you. Now you have to hire a whole team to work with and integrate with the third party company, mixing cultures, environment, and work methodologies that will clash. Ultimately the quality of the end product will be a surprise and then trying to get this third party to maintain the surprise over the long term will lead to bad effects such as needing to purchase services from a new third party to actually make a worthwhile product (but again falling to the same problems and ending up with a mystery X product that will probably on par with the quality of the first product). I feel like in house engineering is the way to go.