Boies Schiller & Flexner

Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Staff Attorney  in  Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Staff Attorney in Albany, NY

I worked at Boies Schiller & Flexner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Salary, hours and commission-based bonus.

Cons

None that I can recall. None that I can recall. None that I can recall. None that I can recall.

You get out of what you put into

Former Employee - Paralegal  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY

I worked at Boies Schiller & Flexner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits
    Some decent lawyers to work with if lucky

Cons

Poor compensation
    Terrible training program
    Long hours
    Closed culture

Involve your paralegals in more substantive work
    Update your technology

Staff Attorney

I have been working at Boies Schiller & Flexner

Pros

experience with discovery if that's your thing; relatively low stress

Cons

There is no room for advancement; low salary, 1% raises

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

All in all, a toxic work environment where money overrules values... plenty of unsavory characters

Former Employee - Paralegal  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY

I worked at Boies Schiller & Flexner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity to work with David Boies is one of a kind... so put in a year and then get out ASAP.

Cons

Poor compensation and benefits, no reward for hard work, lots of long days/nights and plenty of weekend hours. Attorneys are quick to lash out at staff and verbal abuse is common. The situation shows no signs of improving as senior management is uninterested with the state of the work environment and is solely concerned with monetary results. "By whatever means necessary" certainly applies to the mindset of this firm. HR is thoroughly lackadaisical and unwilling to address any inappropriate conduct as it relates to attorneys. Forced to work with the worst technology and unregistered versions of software. I can only assume that this is because it takes more time to complete assignments and therefore provides for more hours billed.

Show some compassion for the people who work for you and reward those who work hard and put in the hours to help out (especially when they have been there for more than 2 years).

A place to hole up till you get a for real job

Former Employee - Staff Attorney  in  Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Staff Attorney in Albany, NY

I worked at Boies Schiller & Flexner

Pros

For an attorney job it is pretty low stress. It also doesn't inspire loyalty to stay so you don't feel bad when you get the job you want.

Cons

The pay of a staff attorney is very low. There is absolutely no room or opportunity for advancement. Get out quick, don't get stuck there.

Management isn't really doing anything wrong. It's a win-win situation. People are able to pay their bills while looking for a job with career advancement, and Boies gets litigation reviewers for a good price.

A collection of unhappy people

Current Employee - Associate  in  Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in Albany, NY

I have been working at Boies Schiller & Flexner

Pros

Being associated with David Boies. That's it. Oh, and the pay is relatively good.

Cons

I have never seen such a group of unhappy people in my life. There is one lead attorney who loves what he does and then everyone else. The company treats the employees very very poorly. Certain "partners" do absolutely nothing but oversee the document review segment. The company would save money by putting HR in charge--or even any of the non-legal staff. Incompetence is rampant. How this place runs is a mystery to me. None of the associates want to stay. I don't expect a work/life balance at a litigation firm but BSF seems to go the extra mile in making their employees feel unappreciated, overworked, constantly under suspicion of something or other...all in all a very negative and oppressive atmosphere.

If you treat people badly, you get substandard work.

Non-Attorney Staff - regardless of performance reviews - not rewarded with adequate cost of living raises.

I have been working at Boies Schiller & Flexner

Pros

Benefit Packages okay considering the economy.

Cons

Non-Attorney Staff with 5+ plus experience paid substantially less than what the average salary is in the area.

The morale of Non-Attorney Staff is an important factor in the retention of good employees.

Firm is still in its infancy

I worked at Boies Schiller & Flexner

Pros

The best thing about BSF is working at "David Boies' firm". Boies is a star litigator and its just impressive. You also get a lot of autonomy at BSF.

Cons

There is absolutely no structure at this firm. The firm just opened a decade ago and you can tell. There is a lot of incompetence; you really cannot rely on the staff to do an adequate job so you end up doing it yourself and you cannot rely on management to correct the incompetence.

BSF needs order and structure. Dont reinvent the wheel. BSF is up against all the big boys and so it needs to act like the big boys and adopt the leading industry standards and structure.

Probably a great place to work if you are an established attorney coming in as a partner but staff members beware.

I worked at Boies Schiller & Flexner

Pros

Good pay and the benefits were industry standard so no complaints there. The site administrative staff is just great. As a young aggressive law firm there were many growth opportunities which were very rewarding to take on and accomplish. So from the perspective of opportunity I really can not say enough positive things.

Cons

Unfortunately there is very poor communication from upper management. As a staff member you are shown very little consideration and respect. Island mentality would be a good way to describe how management runs their business. It works well from the perspective of each site running their day to day operations. This management style however runs into real issues when the staff needs to function as a team across multiple sites.

Why not let those who are working on the support issues fulltime be an integral part of the decision process. As a staff member it was very difficult to accept management decisions based on a road map that was never shared with the staff. Everybody gets that it is your company and you are welcome to run it the way you see fit, but in the long run I think you will end up better off if you take on a win / win mentality with your administrative staff and not feel like the only way to get ahead is to stomp on someone else.

Worked for Boies Schiller & Flexner? Contribute to the Community!