Boise Cascade Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Thomas E. Carlile

1. Boise Cascade/OfficeMax was the best company I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist/Marketing Coordinator in Garden Grove, CA

Pros

Working at Boise Cascade/OfficeMax was a positive experience. They care for their employees. They made coming to work fun. There were opportunities to cross train and grow. I actually did not cringe when Monday came around because I liked working there. All my co-workers were like a second family. I truly miss working there, but will always remember it fondly.

Cons

It could be slow climbing the ladder there, but they still gave you the opportunity to learn other positions so when the time was right you could move up.

Advice to Management

I would just say to continue to do the great work that they have been doing all these years. I had quite a few managers there and loved them all.

2. Wonderful safety driven company with family and faith based values

Former Employee - Crew Chief in Biddeford, ME
    Former Employee - Crew Chief in Biddeford, ME

I worked at Boise Cascade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People friendly and safety committed to providing stellar working atmosphere to grow and advance. Regionally competitive salary base and benefits. tremendous chance for advancement and ability to relocate as there are 34 branches

Cons

tough to get hired. Very thorough process. Outside manual job can be difficult in certain climates Only one corporate office for whole company country wide

3. Good ethical company to work for.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Boise Cascade full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Maintains a decentralized structure but rapidly deploys best practices. Strong and efficient internal controls for accounting and HR.

Cons

Easy to become impatient

Advice to Management

Be careful with the transition from older associates to newer ones.... You may experience a much greater loss of productivity than you anticipated in the next 5 years due to a loss of many associates to retirement.

Absolutely love my job.

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, communication is excellent, treat employees with respect. I couldn't be more content. Home most nights and off weekends. Safety driven and caring.

Cons

If you're not afraid to work you'll love it here. Long days and early mornings.

6. Internal Audit Intern

Current Employee - Internal Auditor Intern in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Internal Auditor Intern in Boise, ID

Pros

Very information experience at Boise Cascade. They help you learn a lot by spending one on one time with you. They give you real work to do instead of copying papers ect.

Cons

I really have nothing bad to say about my experience.

7. Accounting

I have been working at Boise Cascade full-time

Pros

Company provides great benefits for employees.

Cons

BCC is a good company. The job I have now has very little contact with other people so it makes it difficult to get enthusiastic about going to work every day.

8. Great Place to work at

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Monterrey, Nuevo León (Mexico)
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Monterrey, Nuevo León (Mexico)

Pros

It is a highly professional company, sales and operations structure allways in place ready to generate communication and performance.

Cons

It was a tough change regarding the Office Max aquisition, we allways wanted more information in order to be prepared for the change, but things happened very quicly, which also meant to learn how to work in that environment. Not bad however.

Advice to Management

To review all past profiles not currently in your company, and device a "recovery plan" I am sure you will find pleasant surprises.

9. Good Company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Pros

Solid Company, Reliable to work for

Cons

Big, You could get lost in the crowd

Good company with caring management

Current Employee - Administrative Tech
    Current Employee - Administrative Tech

I have been working at Boise Cascade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CEO, President, regional manager, etc. very caring and competent. There are a lot of great supervisors Decent salaries and benefits Employees feel valued

Cons

It's a bit of a good ol' boy system (at least at this region) There are no management tracks and promotions are slow Seems like a large discrepancy in women's salaries compared to men's salaries

Advice to Management

There are a lot of brilliant younger employees who are stuck in entry level or secretary type jobs. If these employees were put on a "management track" of some sort, they would be able to contribute a lot more to the company. Otherwise, you run the risk of losing a lot of talent to other companies, as well as a large skills discrepancy when all the baby boomers retire and the 20-somethings don't have the experience to fill their shoes.

11. good place to work, gained valuable sales & negotiation experience

I worked at Boise Cascade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fast paced, often fun work environment (sales); good health insurance

Cons

low pay, mediocre retirement benefits

RSS Feed </> Embed