Boise State University

Updated August 27, 2014

4.0

Boise State University President Bob Kustra
Bob Kustra

Great experience at an "up and coming" university.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Boise, ID

I have been working at Boise State University full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people and environment have been mostly positive, open, and adaptable. They have many great areas of research and a lot of opportunity to participate in a lot of areas of research.

Cons

The university isn't as well known as many universities which could make finding job opportunities more challenging later. There are still kinks in some of the newer graduate programs.

Keep focusing on the culture and climate of the university.

A very enriching experience, that taught me a lot about myself and how to serve customers.

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Boise, ID

I have been working at Boise State University part-time for more than a year

Pros

I got to help and assist people in what they need, along with having a very flexible work schedule.

Cons

The people I worked with were not the most reliable.

If you see conflict between co-workers step in, it could be a bigger issue than you think.

Supportive, encouraging, and dynamic

I worked at Boise State University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had an amazing experience as a TA working at Boise State. The faculty were supportive, and always happy to provide encouragement. I always felt like I could turn to people when I had a problem related to the courses I was teaching, and I always felt like people wanted me to succeed----and were committed to helping me succeed. Also, I have never worked anywhere in which there were so many resources to access. The administrative staff were always incredibly helpful and a pleasure to work with. The different offices----from the Writing Center to the Graduate College---were always ready to help. Great place to work!

Cons

There food/restaurants available on campus are really bad. Can't get an affordable healthy meal.

Keep up the great work!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supervision

Current Employee - TRS I  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - TRS I in Boise, ID

I have been working at Boise State University as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance is easy

Cons

Things change everyday, you it's hard to know who is in charge, and what the rules are.

Boise State is like most universities. They are elitists.

Current Employee - Faculty  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Faculty in Boise, ID

I have been working at Boise State University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They take care of their own, as long as their own meet their standard as an elitist. They are generally good to their students.

Cons

You can be a great professor, really know your stuff and present it well, but if you don't fit their mold you can be left in the dumpster. They don't treat their students this way, just other faculty. The only standard they really hold their professors to is a high amount of publishing. Their teaching abilities are not examined or improved upon if lacking.

While publishing is important, if you have professors who can't teach it doesn't really matter how much they publish. They aren't able to share their knowledge with the students so who cares? Force the issue with the student evaluations, use them to make them improve their teaching skills and strategies.

Go Broncos!

I have been working at Boise State University full-time

Pros

I've been here for years and it's inspiring to work in an academic environment where people are excited about learning. Plus, it's fun to be a part of the growth at Boise State.

Cons

Athletics always seem to get priorities over academics. Do they really need *another* practice field when campus is starved for classroom space? Plus, the ego of the PHD's can be a little much at times.

At the legislative level, you are in a position to tell the story of the value that state employees bring. Please continue to advocate for pay equity!

Graduate Assistant EMBA Program

I have been working at Boise State University

Pros

flexible hours, pay for school

Cons

monthly stipend not that much

GO BRONCOS!!

I worked at Boise State University

Pros

Fantastic career and learning opportunities to prepare one for their future.

Cons

Lack of adequate parking for students & employees.

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Boise, ID

I have been working at Boise State University part-time for less than a year

Pros

They were extremely flexible with school

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about my experience

Over loaded with work - had to work weekends to keep caught up.

Current Employee - Management Assistant  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Management Assistant in Boise, ID

I have been working at Boise State University full-time for more than a year

Pros

They always encourage an active lifestyle. The gym on campus is a small fee for employees and is a great facility.

Cons

Overwhelmed with the amount of work. My direct supervisor was great and amazing to work with but upper management left a lot to be desired.

Work with your employees to have a better work - life balance. Happy employees will make for a positive work environment that will show through in all aspects.

Worked for Boise State University? Contribute to the Community!