Bolthouse Farms

Updated Jun 9, 2014

Bolthouse Farms CEO Jeff Dunn

Jeff Dunn

Great place to work

Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Bakersfield, CA

ProsFun environment, great people, room to grow

ConsCarrots make plant stink sometimes

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways have room for growth

I was setup for inevitable failure.

Material Handler (Former Employee)
    Bakersfield, CA

ProsI guess experience and the team members that do care.

ConsLack of formal training. Low wages. Poor management!

Advice to Senior ManagementCampbell soups should terminate current management and start fresh.

Neither hot nor cold. Not sure if I should spew.

Employee (Current Employee)
    Bakersfield, CA

ProsThere's some great people to work with here. A lot of people with great visions. This seems to be a recurring theme with Bolthouse, but it's absolutely right on.

ConsCompany values and mission for most employees is not clear or even relevant to their positions. Clear and realistic goal setting has been a problem. This year I was asked to hand in a self evaluation based on my goals, I had none. I then made my own for the next year because it's doubtful management will give me any.

There's a sensation of "get'er done (FAST)" which can be facilitated by advances in technology. It's like running downhill, easy at first, but if not careful, the slightest trip could be fatal. Personally, I think slow, plan slower, and have easy and lasting execution. The things they whip out too fast seems to just be redone later.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring the business back to basics, the essentials to facilitate creation of a lasting and consistent product. Rethink the mission statement so that no matter where someone is on the totem pole, it makes sense. The mission statement should also indicate how we know we've succeeded in our mission.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fantastic job for being straight out of college. Learn as much as you can in a year or two and move on.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat job for self-motivated individuals!

ConsUpper management could use an intensive HR course on how to manage employees and what is and is not proper when running a business.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage employee growth

Company used to value employees that made them a success, but no more!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are good, caring people that work here, the products are good, and company is innovative.

ConsUpper management does not show that they value employees. They seem to only care about the bottom line and do not consistently invest in employees. Case in point, the company met the convoluted bonus requirements in 2012 but days before the payout, employees were told that a mistake was made and a huge percentage of the bonus was not paid.

There is limited opportunity for advancement. It seems advancement is only offered to those that know the right people and have the same "values" as upper management. If you are a "Yes Man" or "Yes Woman" you will fit right in.

From a work prospective, they do very little or poor planning and are very re-active, so employees end up having an unbalanced, unpredictable work/home life.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out before you destroy the company by running all the talent away or discover that without people the company will eventually fail and make appropriate changes.

Would not recommend.

Merchandising (Current Employee)

ProsCo-workers are fun and young. Benefits were ok.

ConsLack of communication and community within the organization. One of the values of the company is "Everything matters." In my experience, it really came down to money. If a project was more lucrative than another, then we would be asked to leave a customer hanging as it is not a "priority." Management is too young. I am ok with constructive criticism but there is a lack of any mentorship. Managers tell you what you do wrong but don't really give you any encouraging words or advice. There direction was very "robotic" like and lacked any emotional connectedness managers should have with their employees.
       When hired on, you are basically left on your own. Sounds great, but make a mostake and youll be sure hear it. The company thinks that someone who does a great job regardless of their personality makes a good leader. Not the case.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to walk before you run. Work on building a positive company culture. There is a reason there is a very high turnover rate in merchandising. Something is not working. It takes much more to run a successful business than just telling people what to do. You need to inspire your employees and you currently do not.

Stay Away!!

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Bakersfield, CA

ProsGreat people to work with.

ConsSalary, Salary, Salary. No work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize you're in Bakersfield and actually make them motivated to want to stay there. Quit being greedy. You work too many hours for no $.

Seasonal Job

Prosser, WA

ProsLots of hours, good job to save money,

ConsVery fast paced, few days off, night shift is hard

Great co-workers, only thing that makes Bolthouse tolerable

Bakersfield, CA

ProsCo-workers are great. Good product, although they are "cheapening" it every day.

ConsBad upper management. Very little career advancement. Only care about the $$$$. That would be fine if they shared the wealth with the employees. FYI - upper management retracted a good portion of everyone's bonus only 2 days before it was scheduled to be paid out and called it an "accounting error". Let me make this clear, we made our bonus targets and they did not pay out the bonus that they promised.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell the truth. treat people like they are people, not a means to an end.

I cant wait to leave bolthouse farms.

Production (Current Employee)
    Bakersfield, CA

ProsOkay place to gain experience in some positions.

ConsToo much work for the production workers for little pay very discriminating and lack of respect from management. They just want to make themselves look good. Their fake and selfish!

Advice to Senior ManagementLEARN TO COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER AND YOUR EMPLOYEES AND LEARN TO MANAGE YOUR DEPARTMENT AND GROW SOME BACKBONE!

Worked for Bolthouse Farms? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bolthouse Farms reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bolthouse Farms CEO Jeff Dunn. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Bolthouse Farms employees.