Bon Appétit Management

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.9

Fedele Bauccio

High hopes only to be disappointed

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mon-Fri typical work hours (great for people with families)
    free food
    Lots of locations
    Always hiring

Cons

Strict time policy (corporate rules)
    Difficult to be promoted (18 months to transfer accounts)
    Not consistent with management/rules
    Seems like they don't choose the right people for certain management roles which causes a lot of grief within the account (not applicable to all accounts).

Invest in workers- be proactive about keeping the hard working employees who want to grow in the company before they feel overlooked and want to leave

A great company with good values.

I worked at Bon Appétit Management

Pros

The management was always nice and the food is of surprising quality. The school where I worked in 2007 was #10 for best college food. They have a great cafeteria and provide near gourmet level food for special occasions. As employers they were flexible and very nice. They have a passion for what they do and worked well with the college atmosphere, listening too their desire and requests.

Cons

Food service, its not for everone

Used To Be Great

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fantastic Ideals, Great People To Work With, Good Experience, Decent Opportunities If Willing To Relocate

Cons

Pay is horrible unless you're a salaried manager. Virtually no upward advancement unless you transfer. Ridiculous expectations for minimum wage pay. We're a little company that is trying to swim with the big corporate fish and are turning into just another food service company. Nothing special anymore. There is no work-life balance, it's all 'work', and when you want to enjoy life outside of work, your requests are typically laughed at.

Quit worrying about the bottom line ALL the time. Look at employee turnover. These employees that leave year after year are leaving for a reason, and its you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great company but some disconnect with senior managers

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

working with great clients and employees

Cons

Senior management fosters favoritism and hires younger managers for less pay

Bait and switch

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Safety....is priority.At least one can feel safe there.That is about it for Pros.

Cons

Fake management staff...they don't care about you only care about if you show up so they don't have to do the "menial labor".Management and leads do not train incoming personnel to the needs of quantity cooking, which they do not teach in school.Forced to take vacation during lay-off time...which means you really have no vacation through the year.Insurance is high,doesn't cover much.Pay is ridiculously low for amount of investment needed to get through the shift.No team atmosphere;managers are constantly fighting against each other.

Let people take vacation when they want...they need it at the time to most likely get away from the circus.

It looked promising, then turned out to be mostly lies and false hope...

Current Employee - Seattle University  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Seattle University in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

passion for sustainable and farm to fork food production was a plus. creative meals made daily. hours and benefits were good.

Cons

everything else from supervisors to managers was poor, poor work ethics, lies, discrimination, intimidation, unfair hiring practices. road blocks at every turn while trying to get promoted.

Alright

I worked at Bon Appétit Management part-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked for the Bon Appetit service in my school, and my coworkers were very nice. They taught me what I did not know, and helped me and things got busy.

Cons

I often had 4 hour shifts, and it was very tiring to stand for such a long time.

Good Company Bad Management No room to grow

Former Employee - Cook  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Cook in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

great benefits, pay was reasonable

Cons

management was not very respectful on employees, they also kept incident hush hush/ in house

Rescpect your employees and put better people into positions of leadership

They don't keep their word

Current Employee - Line Cook  in  Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I get weekends and paid holidays off. I get to be creative with what I cook and I don't have to use recipes when I am making my food.

Cons

I was promised great benefits advancement opportunities and a 40 hour work week. None of that happened and not to mention the current team of managers is a joke and don't have their employees best interests in mind.

Don't say things and promise things if you have no intension of doing what you say. And have your employees back.

Good culture, no transparency.

Current Employee - Barista  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Barista in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Starting pay is better than other food service. The pace of the jobs are nice. The campus I work on is amazing and most of the facilities are newer which makes for a beautiful work place. The coworkers I have are, in general, affable and kind to work with. It deals like a small company but has all the benefits of a large well established corporate business. The hours, for food service are as good as it gets.

Cons

Hard to find full time hours, even when they have been promised to you. Never expect anything to happen with enough time to prepare. Management at a everyday level is not truthful with what is going on in the shops and plays favorites consistently. Hard to get items that are needed to provide for the customer. Expect to have to do way above and beyond in order to advance. Management expects that workers at all levels knows what is going on campus wide with little or no information being given.

I was outright lied to about advancement and promotion with a pay raise. I have been with the company for 2 years and have never had a review. I also had to write my own job titles/ responsibilities at one point and was given no feedback- horribly frustrating. I was supervising a cafe (FOH) managing 4 people and 3 orders. I was offered a promotion that would have had me managing a coffee shop- another 3 people to manage and 3 more orders- and cafe. I was excited to have more responsibility and learn more. I turned it down when they offered me only $1.50 more an hour to more than double my workload. After I turned the promotion down I was given half the work that would have been included in the promotion and no raise. I went from not doing any of the cash handling to having to handle money from 3 separate cafes/coffee shops on campus- with no compensation. When I asked to set down to working in a coffee shop I was treated like I had done something horrible and no one had any conversations with me about why I stepped down.

Long story short I wouldn't recommend it unless you're looking to work really hard and maybe get nowhere.

Create a more effective and efficient training system.
    Be more transparent with what you want and need from your employees.
    If you demand more work from managers/supervisors- pay them more.
    Help your team to know and understand changing focus on campus.
    Work on daily communication between management and supervisors.
    Time worked should always be time paid.

Worked for Bon Appétit Management? Contribute to the Community!