Bon Appétit Management

Bon Appétit Management Reviews

Updated March 5, 2015
Updated March 5, 2015

Fedele Bauccio

Pros
  • Fantastic Ideals, Great People To Work With, Good Experience, Decent Opportunities If Willing To Relocate (in 3 reviews)

• commited to the community and local farmers (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth in the company (in 3 reviews)

• Food service is sometimes repetitive, but again- that's the job (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

The company has lots of opportunities to growth

Former Employee - Director of Catering in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director of Catering in Washington, DC

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best reason to work for them is that you could get a job anywhere in the USA or plan to move somewhere you always have desired to live in.

Cons

One of the downside is that they don't increase your salary that much often even if you requested they still linger around to not increase it.

Please try to keep the best management giving better incentives for those who go beyond their capacities to keep the company in good track with the clients

My over all experience with Bon Appetit has been positive.

Current Employee - Sous Chef in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sous Chef in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like Bon Appetit's philosophies pertaining to buying from local vendors thereby supporting the local economy, composting unused veg and fruits and recycling of plastic, glass and metals.

Cons

The one down side of Bon Appetit are the layoffs. I'm a Sous Chef and I have been laid off several times in the six years that I've worked for the company.

I gain lots of experience but often put under stressful pressure.

Current Employee - Prep Cook in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Prep Cook in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management

Pros

Good environment to work, great food, free food!

Cons

You often have to fill up other people's positions which leads to working your own station and another, being pressure to finish two positions by your self

More organization, appreciate hard work, set up good examples and fully understand a situation before concluding.

Unfulfilling and uninspiring

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management

Pros

Its next to impossible to get fired from this place

Cons

The company has a solid idea of what they stand for but they do not practice what they preach. Unreasonable hours, no family-work life balance. No encouragement for upward growth, no proper training. False sense of "team". No annual raises.

Take the time to find out what drives each manager and speak to that. We aren't all motivated the same way.

Great company and food service standards, but falls short on staff implementation and training

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay scale is decent, especially for food service. There is growth potential in middle management. Opportunities to understand and work in a sustainable food culture. Benefits are good, vacation time is good for managers. The CEO/CFO are committed to changing the food industry for the good.

Cons

Growth and development opportunities are dependent on which account you work for. The company does a poor job at training managers with no proper training program. Company seems to be growing quickly and there are major gaps in management and communication. There are no set standards or measurement for staff, resulting in unclear expectations.

Develop corporate wide training program. There is a large communication gap between upper management and hourly employees - an internal marketing review and implementation could help bridge these gaps.

High standards and great vision, but needs additional oversight for weak areas

Current Employee - Caterer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Caterer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management

Pros

It's tough for me to expand on this much because I worked as a "peon" in many capacities. I played a role of leadership in the interim when we were hiring additional management, but never really took part of the greater corporate structure. With a bigger company comes better bennies than a smaller company might be able to offer, but it also comes with more red tape, and it's tougher to get to decision makers to get any change carried through. No surprise there.

I've worked in catering for BA at two places and the first one was a mess, while the second was a well-oiled machine. The latter has been fun to work at, with great leadership who treat me and the staff correctly, we get paid on-time and with few hiccups. The former was because proper management wasn't in place and the next level of management up from there did not seem up to speed as much. This second layer of management could give a little more oversight and take action in these weaker areas.

Of course in all of this, my experience is very localized, so with 180 accounts in the US and no experience with the corporate structure, it's hard to give an accurate review.

Cons

See my comments above in "Pros." I think the cons might be inherent with a larger corporate structure, but there are large organizations out there getting it right too, so the lack of general oversight to problematic accounts might be my biggest con for BA.

Now that I think of it, I was a college student working in the lower rungs of BA and there were no leadership programs or opportunities to integrate me into the company. There's a complicated application system to try to apply to a random job within the company, but if you know you have a great employee (I won "Be A Star" and was praised on a number of occasions), shouldn't you want to develop them and raise them up in the company?

With as many people as they have coming in and out of their company for part time work and otherwise you'd think management would want to make use of this.

Hiring someone "cold" without knowing them well is tough work - I've had to do it in my FT work. If you can test people out in PT work, like BA does very often especially in catering, then you get to know who they are and can ask management about their work ethic, demeanor, skills, knowledge, ethics etc.

Mixed Baggage, Rotten Management

Current Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good co-workers help make or break any team. I was fortunate enough to have great teams during my time working for Bon Appetit.

Cons

Favoritism is alive and well on the part of management. If you're on their good side then you're likely to get the days off you need and the tasks you enjoy. If you're on their bad side, then good luck to you. I worked at the same location and dealt with three different managers. Rules only applied to those management did not like.

I was both the favored and un-favored depending on who was a part of the management of the time. This place lacks some transparent rules, maybe a little seniority.

Executive Chef

I worked at Bon Appétit Management

Pros

Promote an ideal and healthful dining program

Cons

Poor Mid/Upper Level Management. No measurement rubrics for staff.

Grill Cook

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management

Pros

Great Management Team! Very supportive of issues and help when its needed. All employees are well rounded people.

Cons

High stress environment, pay is not worth the amount of task they expect from one.

Long overdue payment of weekly gratuities, bonuses and commissions.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bon Appétit Management

Pros

Bon Appetit Mgt. offers a decent benefit package, career opportunities, and locations for employment.

Cons

Majority of managers work minimum of 75 hours a week with minimal recognition. Main con is the recurring issues around paying server gratuities and managers commissions and bonus when achieved. Lack of HR support forced several associates were forced to contact the Labor Board for support.

Pay associates in timely manner when wages are rightfully due.