Bon Appetit Bakery Reviews

1.1

Mahasti Mashhoon

Extremely frustrating-No respect for people from ownership to senior management. Do not trust employees.

Former Employee - Director/Sales/Operations  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director/Sales/Operations in New York, NY

I worked at Bon Appetit Bakery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great-product, after this it is tough to say much.

Cons

No recognition of employee accomplishments, lack of support in all areas-of business this is because there is no clear business plan/strategy changes often. People are treated with no respect and are often spread all over the country as management reacts to daily crisis that are a result of lack of vision from senior staff, as they are focused on diverting from ownership the reality of all situations often blaming field staff for problems.

Understand markets/develop plans and/support accordingly as opposed to changing often, support distributors/management. Listen to people in field, visit markets for understanding of markets across country.

Tough to be an Independent Contractor for BA Bakery

Former Employee - Independent Contractor
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor

I worked at Bon Appetit Bakery as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation by cash accounts can be very good

Cons

Many. Have to pay for Route, all equipment and supplies. No guarantee/protection for accounts. Management requires contracted Distributors to abide by certain requirements and allow non-contract Distributors to do whatever they want. Company(BA) would increased cost of product 10-15%+ without increase to sales price to corporate accounts (constant diminishing of margins). Cash accts. can pay well, corporate accts. are lousy. Managers will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to service acct. but do little to improve situation or compensate for extra requirements.

Arrogance isn't an ingredient for success.

Former Employee

Former Employee - No Comment  in  Vernon, CA
    Former Employee - No Comment in Vernon, CA

I worked at Bon Appetit Bakery full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great product easy to sell to new accounts

Cons

I do not feel like typing that much to list all the cons. There is no clear direction with the company. I first that was a good thing that it was indiv. owned and we could change things quickly. I then understood that it was because total lack of leadership and understanding. If you talk a good game you will be fine. Top management reporting to Rick only tell him what he wants to hear not the truth. That is good for them as they get bigger titles each year (they are title whores). They treat everyone like third citizens, unless you go a long with talking points and you can servive a while.

get some balls and tell Rick the real world

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a company I would recommend.... Dale Carnegie could never imagine this in any of his philosophies!

Former Employee - Market Manager  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Market Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Bon Appetit Bakery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Able to collect a paycheck. The remainder of my experience with Bon Appetit was one frustration after another.

Cons

*Senior management is INCOMPETENT! They have a "Do as I say, not as I do" mentality. All
     they care about is protecting their "Status Quo".
    *Owner surrounds himself with "YES" men to satisfy his ego.
    *Company has no long term objectives. They change philosophies quarterly; there is no
     concrete foundation.
    *Corporate "Vision" is more a "Hallucination".
    *All direction from senior management is negative and is presented as a threat to your job.
    *I truly believe the owner considers employees as SERVANTS!

*Irrelevant. They could care less about middle management's thought's and ideas. They manage the country from a desk in California, not taking any advice from the employees in the field.
    *Find it funny that Bon Appetit turns over their field management like yearly, yet, the people running the show at corporate stay intact.

Stymies your Career Path

Current Employee - Market Manager  in  Vernon, CA
    Current Employee - Market Manager in Vernon, CA

I have been working at Bon Appetit Bakery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Having a job where I was able to check a minimal paycheck for exhausting work. That is about it...as they say

Cons

Oh Boy...

* Poor leadership, from owner to upper management staff. Lack of long term vision and constant
      objectives "Du Jour".

* Upper management creates an environment where careers are spoiled and truly wasted.

* Steps on potential and talent like ants.

* Dysfunction is an UNDERSTATEMENT!!!

* Very disrespectful, unethical company.

IRRELEVANT! Nothing gets done there.

Working for a Company that does only the minimum

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Vernon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon, CA

I have been working at Bon Appetit Bakery full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The only pro i can think of is having a place to work & make money .

Cons

This one of the worst company I've ever worked for this company makes false promises when I first started they promised a raise in 6 months after the time was done nothing was given it took them 3 years to finally get a raise, you are treated like cattle and the company only gives what the law allows, Management was recently changed from Salary to Hourly all to save money, this company does not care about its employees all it cares is how much work they can squeeze out of every employee.

Please treat your employees with respect you get more work from a carrot then a stick!!

The company is very secretive, those who "grow up" with the company receive special privileges.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Vernon, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon, CA

I worked at Bon Appetit Bakery

Pros

umm...free bread samples...you are always busy. The more you work the more they expect out of you with no recognition.

Cons

You are treated with little to no respect. Secretive. Closed communication. Unprofessional H.R. department. Upper management treats lower level employees just like labor workers (almost slave like). Employees must fight for a raise and a review, only selected few are given raises based on favorites. They try to brain wash you into thinking they are doing you a favor by keeping you employed. Lots of broken promises from upper management. They offer the bare minimum benefits required by law. If they offer to review you in six months, get it in writing and have them sign it. (if you're lucky they'll honor it.) Whenever anything goes wrong, everybody blames another person. Nobody takes responsibility for their own action creating a stressful and hostile environment.

Invest in your employees. A thank you goes a long way. You'll get more out of your employees if you show them some respect rather than just working them to death and treat everybody equally.

@Google

I worked at Bon Appetit Bakery

Pros

Free food and decent benefits

Cons

terrible management and low pay

Worked for Bon Appetit Bakery? Contribute to the Community!