Bon Appetit

Updated Dec 9, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Review

Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee)
Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at Bon Appetit full-time for more than a year

Prosfriendly enviroment, loyal employees, excellent CEO, ambitious, promotes group work, appreciates it's employees and it's human resources, provide training and opportunities to grow, experts in the field of food and beverages, aiming to keep up with the increasing competion through upgrading their branches and giving them a new look in all aspects from A to Z.

Consbranches need upgrading, jobs in the company require skill and effeciency as they deal with food so a single mistake can ruin it's reputation.

Advice to Senior Managementalways evaluate your employees regularly, provide training, appreciate the hard workers and work on improving the lesser skilled worker.

Director of Catering

Catering Manager (Former Employee)
Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Bon Appetit full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company values and commitment in material and top corporate management. Enormous opportunity to grow as you progress through your career. I enjoyed working with peers from other locations on larger events.

ConsSome management is not fully committed to company values. I believe there should be random drug tests; including managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees; really look at how hard they are working

Interesting and fruitful.

Lacey, WA

I have been working at Bon Appetit

ProsInteresting challenges and people, with chances for advancement for those dedicated enough and (near) immediate overtime via commutes to other Bon Appetit locations.

ConsScheduling problems, and lack of turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, and keep an eye out for talent.

great job for now but not much of a future.

Student Worker (Current Employee)
Middletown, CT

I have been working at Bon Appetit

ProsBon Appetit is very flexible with work schedules and allows workers to negotiate work schedules between themselves. The management is very understanding of the demands that are placed on students attempting to balance work and academic demands. Lots of (edible) perks that traditionally come with food service, but especially easy to take advantage of because there is very little (pretty rarely actually) direct management oversight of the workplace.

ConsThere is a serious lack of communication between the management and the student workers. Workers end up informing each other about different rules, regulations, and procedures, which is not necessarily a trustworthy or reliable source of such important information.

Advice to Senior Managementtell student workers directly/in writing of any new rules/changes etc.

Be prepared to have good days and bad days. Certain chefs can be a bit bipolar at times!

Server, Porter (Current Employee)
Berrien Springs, MI

I have been working at Bon Appetit part-time for less than a year

Pros- Stable hours. You don't have to worry about too much variability in your paycheck, which is good for budgeting.
- Clean and safe environment.
- Not too fast paced most of the time.

Cons- Benefits at my location were horrible. The only "benefit" was 40% off of a single meal after working 12 hours. When you're not getting too many hours, that benefit leaves a lot to be desired! On top of barely earning above the minimum wage, the benefit is basically negligible.
- Lack of "community" feeling. Upper management has no interest in knowing non full-time employees. I still don't understand how you can't call someone by their name when you have a nametag on!
- Chefs at my location are either nice, or complete jerks (for no reason whatsoever!). You kind of have to learn who to stay away from.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more friendly to the workers! Take five seconds out of your "busy" day spent in the executive office and ask workers how they're doing, if they had a good weekend, etc. Make the working experience a little more enjoyable!

Mediocre job with okay benefits and low pay.

Barista (Current Employee)
Northfield, MN

I have been working at Bon Appetit full-time for less than a year

ProsLots of time off (unpaid) as the restaurant is only staffed minimally during summer and time off for students (you get two weeks off for Christmas, spring break, etc). The work is not hard and the place is always staffed well enough to deal with the students - it is very fast paced.

ConsIt is disorganized, and the pay is not good. The pay seems okay, however with all the time off it makes your annual income sadly low. The benefits are only okay and if you don't hold an office position you pay more on them so you can have them through the summer.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe professional and take employees behaving badly seriously. It is frustrating for people that work hard every day to see others not doing anything or constantly getting in trouble and not getting written up or fired.

Overall it was a delightful experience

Caterer (Former Employee)

I worked at Bon Appetit

ProsSome pros about working at Bon Appetit are good camaraderie amongst co-workers, a chance to deal with customers, definitely a place for a person who enjoys being around people.

ConsA con for Bon Appetit is there isn't much room for growth, and most the skills learned here don't transfer over to another field.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeeping everything the same

a drone

Intern (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Bon Appetit

ProsIf you find the right mentor this can be a rewarding experience

ConsRiddled with nepotism
Mundane work
Too much down time

Advice to Senior Managementmentoring is a verb, it requires action

Unfriendly and rude management, unfair and biased dealings

Food Server/Cashier (Former Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Bon Appetit part-time for less than a year

Prosmeal coupons, friendly coworkers, easy to learn work.

ConsToo much physical work, less opportunity to move forward. Inflexible working hours.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more humane and staff centric

They have their ups and downs, but definitely way more downs than ups.

I have been working at Bon Appetit

ProsThe pay is pretty good mainly because I work in a union based location. Some of the management is very helpful and understanding. Most of the co-workers are friendly and easy to get along with.

ConsThey do not know how to run a budget plan, they have spent way too much money so in turn they cut most employees hours almost in half! We are not allowed to have radios playing in the background while we work. Some of the management staff tend to be very hard to talk to about anything, don't take concerns seriously, and at times just down right unfair.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to run a budget and give your employees their hours back. Most of us have a family to support and its kind of hard to do that when you get way less than 30 hours a week! Listen to your employees and take them more seriously, happy employees=a better working environment for everyone!

Worked for Bon Appetit? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bon Appetit reviews and ratings. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Bon Appetit employees.