Bon Appetit Reviews

CEO

1. Unfriendly and rude management, unfair and biased dealings

Former Employee - Food Server/Cashier in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Food Server/Cashier in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Bon Appetit part-time (less than a year)

Pros

meal coupons, friendly coworkers, easy to learn work.

Cons

Too much physical work, less opportunity to move forward. Inflexible working hours.

Advice to Management

be more humane and staff centric

2. They have their ups and downs, but definitely way more downs than ups.

I have been working at Bon Appetit

Pros

The pay is pretty good mainly because I work in a union based location. Some of the management is very helpful and understanding. Most of the co-workers are friendly and easy to get along with.

Cons

They do not know how to run a budget plan, they have spent way too much money so in turn they cut most employees hours almost in half! We are not allowed to have radios playing in the background while we work. Some of the management staff tend to be very hard to talk to about anything, don't take concerns seriously, and at times just down right unfair.

Advice to Management

Learn how to run a budget and give your employees their hours back. Most of us have a family to support and its kind of hard to do that when you get way less than 30 hours a week! Listen to your employees and take them more seriously, happy employees=a better working environment for everyone!

3. Can be horrible or great.

Former Employee - Catering Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Catering Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Bon Appetit full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Farm to fork program, sustainable solutions. The pay was okay and benefits were acceptable. Hourly staff was wonderful to work with. The food is very creative and tasted great. Had opportunity to try foods that would not been able to otherwise.

Cons

Horrible management team, disrespectful, and threats of bodily injury were common. The Gm, operations manager and executive chef were like a high school click. Verbal abuse was a daily occurrence. When HR was notified about the hostile environment, I was dismissed because of " customer complaints". When in fact I was let go because I stood up to the three jerks that were in charge and the college wanted to save money. To this day no one has been hired to replace me. Our clients told us what they wanted but the chef refused to make it without making it with some obscure ingredient added to it.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be part of a team and listen to other people. Our clients should be the most important thing, not the egos of the chef and operations manager.

5. a drone

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Bon Appetit

Pros

If you find the right mentor this can be a rewarding experience

Cons

Riddled with nepotism
    Mundane work
    Too much down time

Advice to Management

mentoring is a verb, it requires action

6. Convoluted expectations, Razor thin labor budget & GM that is most comfortable belittling his employees. Life is Good

Current Employee - Cook in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cook in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bon Appetit full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is good & weekends off.

Cons

The equipment is abysmal. How our talented team achieve success is a daily miracle.

Advice to Management

The GM could benefit from people management classes. He is disrespectful, does not listen & runs on assumptions.
    Creating respectful work places begins at the top. Leading by example would clear up perpetuated respect issues.

7. Be prepared to have good days and bad days. Certain chefs can be a bit bipolar at times!

Current Employee - Server, Porter in Berrien Springs, MI
    Current Employee - Server, Porter in Berrien Springs, MI

I have been working at Bon Appetit part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Stable hours. You don't have to worry about too much variability in your paycheck, which is good for budgeting.
    - Clean and safe environment.
    - Not too fast paced most of the time.

Cons

- Benefits at my location were horrible. The only "benefit" was 40% off of a single meal after working 12 hours. When you're not getting too many hours, that benefit leaves a lot to be desired! On top of barely earning above the minimum wage, the benefit is basically negligible.
    - Lack of "community" feeling. Upper management has no interest in knowing non full-time employees. I still don't understand how you can't call someone by their name when you have a nametag on!
    - Chefs at my location are either nice, or complete jerks (for no reason whatsoever!). You kind of have to learn who to stay away from.

Advice to Management

Be more friendly to the workers! Take five seconds out of your "busy" day spent in the executive office and ask workers how they're doing, if they had a good weekend, etc. Make the working experience a little more enjoyable!

Mediocre job with okay benefits and low pay.

Current Employee - Barista in Northfield, MN
    Current Employee - Barista in Northfield, MN

I have been working at Bon Appetit full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of time off (unpaid) as the restaurant is only staffed minimally during summer and time off for students (you get two weeks off for Christmas, spring break, etc). The work is not hard and the place is always staffed well enough to deal with the students - it is very fast paced.

Cons

It is disorganized, and the pay is not good. The pay seems okay, however with all the time off it makes your annual income sadly low. The benefits are only okay and if you don't hold an office position you pay more on them so you can have them through the summer.

Advice to Management

Be professional and take employees behaving badly seriously. It is frustrating for people that work hard every day to see others not doing anything or constantly getting in trouble and not getting written up or fired.

9. Overall it was a delightful experience

Former Employee - Caterer
    Former Employee - Caterer

I worked at Bon Appetit

Pros

Some pros about working at Bon Appetit are good camaraderie amongst co-workers, a chance to deal with customers, definitely a place for a person who enjoys being around people.

Cons

A con for Bon Appetit is there isn't much room for growth, and most the skills learned here don't transfer over to another field.

Advice to Management

Keeping everything the same

10. Has been a great experience so far

Current Employee - Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Bon Appetit

Pros

Respect by mgt has proven to me I can speak and be heard and I feel very valued.

Cons

Pay too low for work load

Advice to Management

Up the starting pay scale

11. Outside the box look to management skills in a company

Current Employee - Catering Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Catering Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bon Appetit part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Food industry experience, Learning different types of food and how the maintenance keep the establishment neat

Cons

Different professional environment than an artistic environment