Bon Appetit Reviews

Updated July 24, 2014
Updated July 24, 2014
3.3

CEO

Outside the box look to management skills in a company

Current Employee - Catering Assistant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Catering Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bon Appetit part-time for more than a year

Pros

Food industry experience, Learning different types of food and how the maintenance keep the establishment neat

Cons

Different professional environment than an artistic environment

A great job for a student worker

Former Employee - Student Supervisor  in  Northfield, MN
    Former Employee - Student Supervisor in Northfield, MN

I worked at Bon Appetit part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very flexible hours that allowed you to work around almost any schedule. Great people who help develop many crucial job market skills

Cons

Set in a college so the atmosphere was as you'd expect. Poor communication skills when it came to new information.

Well oiled machine

I worked at Bon Appetit part-time

Pros

Bon appetit has a certain way of doing things, and if you have good leadership that can communicate that process, things work beautifully.

Cons

If the leadership is sub par, or isn't communicating properly, it makes the collaborative environment break down. Certain people will start pulling more weight than others, and nobody's happy.

Give high fives. Increase communication across different moving parts.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Director of Catering

Former Employee - Catering Manager  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Catering Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Bon Appetit full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company values and commitment in material and top corporate management. Enormous opportunity to grow as you progress through your career. I enjoyed working with peers from other locations on larger events.

Cons

Some management is not fully committed to company values. I believe there should be random drug tests; including managers.

Listen to employees; really look at how hard they are working

Be prepared to have good days and bad days. Certain chefs can be a bit bipolar at times!

Current Employee - Server, Porter  in  Berrien Springs, MI
    Current Employee - Server, Porter in Berrien Springs, MI

I have been working at Bon Appetit part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Stable hours. You don't have to worry about too much variability in your paycheck, which is good for budgeting.
    - Clean and safe environment.
    - Not too fast paced most of the time.

Cons

- Benefits at my location were horrible. The only "benefit" was 40% off of a single meal after working 12 hours. When you're not getting too many hours, that benefit leaves a lot to be desired! On top of barely earning above the minimum wage, the benefit is basically negligible.
    - Lack of "community" feeling. Upper management has no interest in knowing non full-time employees. I still don't understand how you can't call someone by their name when you have a nametag on!
    - Chefs at my location are either nice, or complete jerks (for no reason whatsoever!). You kind of have to learn who to stay away from.

Be more friendly to the workers! Take five seconds out of your "busy" day spent in the executive office and ask workers how they're doing, if they had a good weekend, etc. Make the working experience a little more enjoyable!

Unfriendly and rude management, unfair and biased dealings

Former Employee - Food Server/Cashier  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Food Server/Cashier in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Bon Appetit part-time for less than a year

Pros

meal coupons, friendly coworkers, easy to learn work.

Cons

Too much physical work, less opportunity to move forward. Inflexible working hours.

be more humane and staff centric

Mediocre job with okay benefits and low pay.

Current Employee - Barista  in  Northfield, MN
    Current Employee - Barista in Northfield, MN

I have been working at Bon Appetit full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of time off (unpaid) as the restaurant is only staffed minimally during summer and time off for students (you get two weeks off for Christmas, spring break, etc). The work is not hard and the place is always staffed well enough to deal with the students - it is very fast paced.

Cons

It is disorganized, and the pay is not good. The pay seems okay, however with all the time off it makes your annual income sadly low. The benefits are only okay and if you don't hold an office position you pay more on them so you can have them through the summer.

Be professional and take employees behaving badly seriously. It is frustrating for people that work hard every day to see others not doing anything or constantly getting in trouble and not getting written up or fired.

Review

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator  in  Cairo (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at Bon Appetit full-time for more than a year

Pros

friendly enviroment, loyal employees, excellent CEO, ambitious, promotes group work, appreciates it's employees and it's human resources, provide training and opportunities to grow, experts in the field of food and beverages, aiming to keep up with the increasing competion through upgrading their branches and giving them a new look in all aspects from A to Z.

Cons

branches need upgrading, jobs in the company require skill and effeciency as they deal with food so a single mistake can ruin it's reputation.

always evaluate your employees regularly, provide training, appreciate the hard workers and work on improving the lesser skilled worker.

a drone

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Bon Appetit

Pros

If you find the right mentor this can be a rewarding experience

Cons

Riddled with nepotism
    Mundane work
    Too much down time

mentoring is a verb, it requires action

They have their ups and downs, but definitely way more downs than ups.

I have been working at Bon Appetit

Pros

The pay is pretty good mainly because I work in a union based location. Some of the management is very helpful and understanding. Most of the co-workers are friendly and easy to get along with.

Cons

They do not know how to run a budget plan, they have spent way too much money so in turn they cut most employees hours almost in half! We are not allowed to have radios playing in the background while we work. Some of the management staff tend to be very hard to talk to about anything, don't take concerns seriously, and at times just down right unfair.

Learn how to run a budget and give your employees their hours back. Most of us have a family to support and its kind of hard to do that when you get way less than 30 hours a week! Listen to your employees and take them more seriously, happy employees=a better working environment for everyone!

Worked for Bon Appetit? Contribute to the Community!