Bon-Ton Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bon-Ton Stores President, CEO, and Director Brendan L. Hoffman

Brendan L. Hoffman

Pros:
  • "20% employee discount nothing else"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Flexible scheduling, Family atmosphere, Great Discount"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours for second shift during holiday season"
    in 10 reviews
  • "The sales associates are constantly gossiping about other employees"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Horrible working conditions and management.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Green Bay, WI

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores part-time for more than a year

ProsThe perks (discount), and other employees are good.

ConsNot enough coverage for required breaks and lunches. Schedule changes at the last minute after work schedules are published. Poor management from the top down. Human resources are totally unavailable and condescending when approached. Starting wages are higher, even with less experience than current employees and unwilling to consider raising. All around a very demanding, difficult place to work when if properly managed could be so much fun.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the turnover and that will sum it up!

Great concept but terrible execution.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat merchandise assortment. Everyone seems very nice and personable. They do have some good community involvement programs. The new stores are spared no expense in design and layout.

ConsIf brand new to company be prepared to pay out of pocket for all travel for training. They will then reimburse you in two to three weeks. They say only 40 hour work weeks for managers but workload requires 50 hours just like every other retailer. Coupon exclusions drive customers crazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDesign a new management training program that is covered under a corporate credit card and actually covers all aspects of bonton operations rather then the sink or swim method currently used.

Meh

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores part-time for more than a year

ProsVery typical retail experience; better than unemployment.

ConsLike I said, it's a very typical retail experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so inconsistent about coupons, leaving the customer fuming about the deceptive fine print and then just giving them the coupon anyway if they make enough of a fuss that we have to call a manager, while the good ones either just suck it up unhappily or stop shopping at your stores.

Great company to work for with lots of opportunity.

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI love the culture and the atmosphere. growth options.

ConsDon't end up in the wrong office or you will regret it. Some managers are not very concerned about their employees and dont care to get along.

Wonderful Private Brand Teams

Freelance Entry Level Assistant Design (Current Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Team Work to work with

ConsNot any that I could think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot any that I could think of.

Great working people and overall good employer.

Cashier (Former Employee)
Concord, NH

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsWas only hired part time for Christmas Holiday, wish it was longer

Don't do it

Cosmetics Counter Manager (Current Employee)
Quakertown, PA

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA good place if you don't mind no raises and being treated like a 3 year old. Management won't ever recognize your abilities and what you can bring to the company but rather who you are friends with and if you fit into their click.

ConsThe store could be a good place , but the management team is corrupt. They do exactly what you are not supposed to do. They use company budget for food/parties /rewards/ for the store to reward achievement or success on sales or holiday parties for all store employees, on internal personal lunches for the management team. The management hides new merchandise in closets for months until it reaches black dot for markdown and then purchase for themselves. They belittle and harass good employees to try to get them to quit, because , your not part of their click. Hundreds of complaints even come in about our store and they are taken care of , because our store manager is a personal "friend" of the regional manager, so he makes all of her mistakes disappear. Too many corrupt stories to even explain, just don't do it!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new store manager immediately. Investigate the person covering her tracks. Fire the immediate management team.start with a fresh bunch of chiefs and you will find the Indians are much happier! And your store might start showing some profit.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

positive work environment.. most of the time.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores

Prosgreat coworkers and management, employee discount, always being the first to see what new clothes are coming in, always kept busy.

Consrude and demanding customers that do not read the print on their coupons, worked with many lazy and unproductive people, explaining to the customers over and over again why their coupons won't work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you would hire quality workers and get rid of the ones who do not do their work, people like myself may still work for your company. But there were many times where I had to clean up people's messes and babysit the younger employees because they would not do anything for their entire shift and I would end up doing double the work.

Demanding customers, demanding management

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsYou receive an employee discount on most items, and the discount increases the longer you're employed (but not by much). Some shifts can be mindless and stress free when it's slow, and your only job is to make the merchandise look presentable. My hours worked well for my schedule because I had school on weekdays and worked short shifts in the evenings.

ConsYou are required to ask everyone to open a charge card, and I mean everyone. If you don't meet your charge card goal, management is not happy. All the coupons have numerous restrictions. I've had coworkers cry from angry customers blaming the sales associates when their coupon did not apply to the item they wanted to purchase. Customers can be ruthless when it comes to saving money and getting their way. They love taking out their frustration on sales associates, so come to work mentally prepared.

Friendly place full of real people.

Ecommerce Analyst (Current Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork-life balance, ability to move between areas, opportunities for advancement, depending the division the culture can be fun, driven atmosphere.

ConsLack of direction from management at times, poor leadership in some divisions, poor work environment in a building that is falling apart.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide specific and attainable goals.

Worked for Bon-Ton Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bon-Ton Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bon-Ton Stores CEO Brendan L. Hoffman. All 210 reviews posted anonymously by Bon-Ton Stores employees.