Bon-Ton Stores Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
2.9

Bon-Ton Stores President, CEO, and Director Brendan L. Hoffman
Brendan L. Hoffman

Pros
  • The people are nice, the employee discount is one of the best in the industry (in 27 reviews)

• Flexible scheduling, Family atmosphere, Great Discount (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management spends little to no time on the sales floor to see how the company works (in 12 reviews)

• Some of the other sales associates would not follow rules which would make my job harder (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Retail Employment At It's Worst

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

The fashion and the discount. The customers are for the most part wonderful.

Cons

Meager raises... ten to fifteen cents. Reviews are based mostly on Credit Card Promotions and employees are given their reviews on the sales floor or over the phone and employees are not provided with a copy of their reviews. Short staffing so that if one person calls in sick, there is no way to cover sales floor. Customer service suffers and customers take their frustration on on sales staff. Flexible schedules promoted in the employment advertisements are primarily to benefit the store. Schedules are always late and are subject to change without notifying the rest of the sales team. Employees on the other hand must give thirty days notice for time off requests and then they are often called on days off to come into work when the store is short handed or told not to come in at all. Employees are told that they must sign up for a credit card unless they are minors and it is that our credit card is our discount card. We wear many hats cleaning crew, customer service - credit card payment centers - merchandising - handling returns, loss prevention, as well as promoting anything else that the headquarters would like us to promote. That is on top of straightening and cleaning out fitting rooms in addition to ringing sales and giving customer service. The business hours vary from six-thirty am to eleven-fifteen pm - making public transportation difficult or impossible. At the end of the day we are rushed out of the building as though the place is on fire - after we curb our garbage so that the one person cleaning crew can save a few steps in the morning - check the fitting rooms - close the register - turn in the register bag and bring up the scanners. Employees are responsible for getting their own check stubs when and if they find someone to hand it to them. They have posted that after two weeks payroll check stubs will be mailed out but they are too cheap to do so. I have had several weeks of check stubs - six check stubs at a time that I had to pick up.

I wouldn't know where to begin... honestly.

First job or when your life didn't turn out the way you thought it would

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Whitehall, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitehall, PA

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you don't call out and do a ok job you will have a job for 30 years. Pace is slower than most warehouses. Only day shifts. If you can do your job you can will not be bothered

Cons

Low pay compared to other companies. No advancement. 1 day notice of working hours. Busy season has a lot of Temp help, who do not care and you have to clean up their mess. Corporate plays with numbers making it seem like a ok idea to move things around 10 times before leaving warehouse.

Learn the true cost of things. Moving items between warehouses 10 times costs a lot of money which kills your margins. spending thousands of dollars moving a department around that is leaving within a year is not smart finacial planning.

Customers Are First

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores part-time

Pros

Love the atmosphere as do our customers. The employer empowers it's associates to put customers first making for a mutually satisfying experience. I enjoy working and shopping there.

Cons

All retail has this challenge: you are on your feet the whole time. I try to keep moving but during big sales you can be at the register standing in one spot for extended periods of time. This is most challenging but it is job security...after all it is in those times we are generating sales!

Simplify the customer coupon process.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No leadership

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lifetime employment, low expectations, it is very hard to be disciplined or fired from this company

Cons

Poor to non-existent leadership from corporate headquarters all the way down to facility level, confusing and arbitrary policies, cronies get promoted while hard workers leave

Figure out where the company is going and base all decision on that vision. People in leadership positions need to be leaders with visions for the future instead of "yes" men (and women).

A poor choice

Former Employee - Employee  in  West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Employee in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Occasionally flexible schedule, wonderful fellow employees

Cons

Ridiculous hours, unreasonable, bullying store manager, inconsistent training, favoritism, and nepotism, infinitesimal pay increases and overall poor treatment of employees.

Hold poor store managers accountable for the high turn over rate, increase hour wages to encourage employees to stay. Keep to mall hours.

Positive, supportive staff

Former Employee - Visual Coordinator
    Former Employee - Visual Coordinator

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Internal promotions, creative allowances in each positon

Cons

Asked to take on tasks not in the job description that can detract from completing work that is your responsibility.

hire more help

Great for entry level retail merchandising experience

Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people, nice company, nice discount

Cons

If you start as a MA it is hard to get into the executive training program. You get passed up by recent college grads with no experience. The pay is also less them kohls.

Promote hard working MA's. give MA's a equal opportunity to get into the training program no matter how long they have been there.

Herbergers Ottumwa Iowa

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Ottumwa, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ottumwa, IA

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good management and Supervisors.

Cons

Low wages, near entry level first job minimum wage

Great job with what they have to work with

Working to nowhere

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Bloomsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomsburg, PA

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interacting with customers and credit card bonus.

Cons

Management is a joke and training is unhelpful. Plan to make less than what you are worth. Management only thinks of you as a credit pushing mule and will hound you about it every day. Store is going down hill and it probably will be closing soon.

Company does not appreciate good employees and makes it very clear!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Wausau, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wausau, WI

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good discount and great co workers.

Cons

The management is very poor and are only concerned about their numbers and don't care about their employees or their customers.

Simplify coupons and show appreciation for your good employees.

Worked for Bon-Ton Stores? Contribute to the Community!