Bon-Ton Stores

Updated December 20, 2014
2.9

Bon-Ton Stores President, CEO, and Director Brendan L. Hoffman
Brendan L. Hoffman

Pros
  • The people are nice, the employee discount is one of the best in the industry (in 29 reviews)

• Flexible scheduling, Family atmosphere, Great Discount (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management spends little to no time on the sales floor to see how the company works (in 14 reviews)

• Poor work-life balance, many unhappy employees, inadequate training, rude management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

So-So Employee Relations

Current Employee - Corporate Customer Service Representative in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Corporate Customer Service Representative in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management treats you kindly, there is very little disrespect, if any. As I worked for corporate, we had a lot of parties & things like that to boost morale. The discount is better than most other stores, too.

Cons

Management does not listen to the concerns of customers or employees. They seem to need financial counseling because they make money-wasting decisions.

Listen to your customers as well as your employees. They are what keep your business going.

Bon Ton is a great place!

Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working for Bon Ton is the flexibility and customer loyalty.

Cons

Too many coupons that basically give items away...losing money.

Felt unappreciated with no room for opportunities

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

clients and customers, commission can be beneficial, Boston store was good at working around my school schedule.

Cons

no growth opportunities. minimum wage, unappreciated, terrible time off policy. mangers and supervisors never wanted to take responsibility for any of the problems and often pushed them upon the employees to figure out. Never once was told i may qualify for any sort of pay increase or promotion

respect and value your employees. Listen to your employees and offer better training to help increase your employees sales tactics and pitches. Your time off policy is terrible because you require your employees to have their time off requests in 24 days from the time they need off. Thats too long and sometimes things come up, I feel two weeks is enough time to find coverage for the missed shift.

Open to change, but terrible e-commerce focus

Current Employee - Assistant Planner in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Planner in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Often relaxed work environment, long-term strategic vision by CEO, flexible summer hours

Cons

Few in-office perks (no coffee, no snacks, etc.), cramped working quarters, pay is below industry average

Show that you care about your employees by upgrading the physical workspace

Bloated Corporate Structure, Unethical Business/Management Practices by Store Level Management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IL

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you just want a part-time job that you don't care about . . . this is the one very fun thing about this place. One of my favorite phrases was, "Think about work when I'm not at work . . ., I don't even think about work when I AM at work." Evading customers, scowling, ignoring them . . . it was all acceptable. Daydreaming about your boyfriend or figuring out your next move in real life was all possible if you worked a late shift. Customers rarely complained to management about sales associates because being somewhat rude was expected. And if a customer did complain, some manager would stand there and listen to their shift and then move on with their day. They did not want to do any paperwork to followup on some annoying complaint. Also 20% discount.

Cons

Not enough hours as part-time. They could get a ton of part-time employees and schedule them each at 10 hours.

Bonton

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lots of employee discounts each week

Cons

crazy coupons you can never use.

Fair, enjoyed my job

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores

Pros

Generally Felxable, 401k , benefits offered

Cons

Store management over worked, not enough hours or people to accomplish an overt work load.

Corporate management lack of acknowledgements for associates. Treat your managers better it gets passed on to floor associates, creating a low moral work environment.

Pleasant retail work environment.

Former Employee - Selling Supervisor
    Former Employee - Selling Supervisor

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The stores have nice atmosphere, good merchandise, and great coupons, plus a generous employee discount. Store management, in my experience, was generally reasonable. For a retail position, it was quite worthwhile and I learned much.

Cons

It's retail, folks. You're on your feet for your entire shift, except for your breaks. If you don't like working nights, weekends, and especially the holiday season, it can be very stressful for you and your family.

Pay better, hire better, therefore achieve better results and avoid many of the problems you have on the sales floor, including turnover.

worse place to work for

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great coworkers to keep you sane

Cons

store manager, assistant store manager, selling supervisors forbid gossip but in the same breath encourage it through having anyone come to them about the gossip..then making the gossip fact when trying to write up star employees over gossip that bares no truth or any policy not violated. they witch hunt and fire top employees to bring in associates willing to work less than 20 hours a week.

stop witch hunting. if u tell us we are here to serve the customer and we do and then writing us up because we took care of the issue per policy...stop witch hunting! avoid working at bonton stores.

Stretched more than Stretch Armstrong.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Generous 10%-25% discount. Co-Employees are very nice and like family. 45 minute lunch break.

Cons

Supervisors and Sales Associates are stretched so thin that they have to do everything but their job, and then face consequences for that! The pay difference between Store Manager and Supervisor is about 400%. Upper Management never leaves office. Regional Management tours stores and changes the whole layout based on the current personal preference/mood. Impossible to achieve tasks and goals. Constant Sale Sets. Company is focused on Chicago/Illinois area with no respect to other areas. Company only acknowledges corporate people and shuns the retail workers. Coupons and the coupon strategy are absurd. Stores will be staffed enough to have one associate at a door, yet when there is a corporate visit, staffing seems unlimited.

Corporate Leaders, don't announce your visits! Plans your visits during busy sales and sneak in. See how the company is really run! Talk to the associates, not the managers.