Bonaventure Senior Living

Kelley Hamilton

Satisfied Employee

Current Employee - Management  in  Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Management in Salem, OR

I have been working at Bonaventure Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love working with the senior age group. I have always had a passion for taking care of others and I found my calling 5 years ago when I began as a medaide with Bonaventure. I have since not only moved up in the company but moved around and been provided with opportunities to not only train my teammates but be trained. I know that as a whole this industry struggles with finding genuine people and I love knowing that it is up to me that I deliver those kind of people to my residents. After all, that is why they are here and paying for this service. Having done all jobs and worked in so many different aspects of this company I know that I am well suited to tell you there is no other company I could do this for. I love the wonderful staff I work with and the AMAZING people that I get to take part in caring for. I once took care of a woman with Bonaventure a few years ago that had a terminal diagnosis. Not only did I take care of her but she taught me what it was to live with Grace and to shine a smile even at your lowest. I have been able to apply that to not only my career but my life and to this day I will never forget that sweet friend I made. Bonaventure is always asking us to bring our families to events. I love that because I am in a growing family with children and that is a must for me. I could not be happier than I am with my position at Bonaventure

Cons

The only con I can think of is how disappointing it is to go through all the work of bringing people into an industry where you can't just have the know how, you have to have "the heart". So many people look at coming to work for a place like Bonaventure as "Just a job". YOU CAN NOT be more incorrect! This is a calling. If you aren't cut out for it don't do it.

No need, we are doing it right. Every place you go will have hiccups. I appreciate that I never have to worry about whether or not I have a job. I love the consistency.

Great company that is unmatched

I have been working at Bonaventure Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company is dedicated to the staff and residents they really care about doing the right thing every day.
    The company allows people to work up. They would rather promote from within. Not many companies will allow you to start as a caregiver and work up into a top job within a company like Bonaventure does.
    Understanding leadship that really has heart behind what they do

Cons

Hard work- But is hardwork really a con when you have so much to gain from when working in a company that cares and rewards hard work?

Keep doing what you are doing. You are a great company and are alway open to hear what people have to say.

GREAT COMPANY THAT REALLY DOES CARE ABOUT SENIORS!

I have been working at Bonaventure Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have experienced first hand the leadership teams just trying to do "the right thing". This is a very hard and very competitive industry, I believe Bonaventure puts seniors first and strives to provide employees a rewarding and fulfilling career. Do we have high expectations? You bet! I heard it said by the COO, "wouldn't you want your family member to live where there were high expectations?"

Bonaventure is a great company, offering a good benefit package for its employees and I believe that to be a Bonaventure team member, in any department, you have to be willing to work hard and give all you have to our seniors.

Cons

This is a hard industry, period. The trade off is the rewarding career you get in return in giving back to our senior population.

Bonaventure actively seeks out employees with talent and promotes from within. We have numerous employees who have advanced from a caregiver to Care Managers and Executive Directors, and Exec Dir in Training - let's work on developing and training department staff to help them reach their full potential as well.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a Great Day at Bonaventure

Current Employee - Receptionist  in  Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Salem, OR

I have been working at Bonaventure Senior Living part-time for more than a year

Pros

Bonaventure is a great place to work, you really get to know your residents and employees. I have worked for Bonaventure for almost 2 years and have helped out in activities and dining services as a waitress. I love everything Bonaventure has to offer for the residents and the employees. The food is great, I have eaten meals here several times, and the residents love it too. The activities are so much fun they really make you want to join, especially an intense round of Mexican train dominos. In my opinion Bonaventure is always looking out for their residents and trying to make Bonaventure even more enjoyable. Bonaventure communities are like families, you really become close with your residents and the people you work with. Bonaventure is a great place to be and great place to work and I hope to be working here for many years to come.

Cons

I can not think of any at the moment

As a receptionist I work very close with the management staff. They are always willing to listen to what they residents and employees have to say.

Great company

Pros

It is a great place to work! Is it hard work? Yeah, for sure. But its rewarding to say the least. As a current Executive Director for this company, I feel it is important for those looking for employment with Bonaventure to know the truth. This is a great company to work for with caring team members from the care staff all the way up to our senior leadership. Not to mention the benefits are above average as well. All in all, not only does Boanventure care for seniors, but also the people who work for them. I could give you countless names of those who started out in line staff positions who are now in leadership roles which shows this is not only a company who cares but one you can grow with.

Cons

I can't think of any cons that are outside the norm for the senior living industry.

The great thing is that upper management is open to hearing from us, so they already have my advice!

Not a good company

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Salem, OR

I worked at Bonaventure Senior Living part-time for less than a year

Pros

Besides the great residents? Nothing.

Cons

Working for this company is the biggest mistake youll ever make. Management doesnt care about anything BUT money. They will try to charge families for any little thing like tying someones shoes laces. Why? Just so they can get a bigger bonus that they DONT deserve! A lot of the times gloves will be an issue. RCCs never order enough so staff is having to change residents with contagious UTIs and other infectious diseases. Youd think with the 5+ thousand dollars they charge for each resident theyd have a bigger budget. Management then wonders why new staff is so hard to hire maybe thats because they dont do anything to make them stay. At a meeting we once had the ED said 'if you dont like this job then quit we have a lot of applications of people who want to work here' but then again who can pass a background check or a drug test? Not very many. Just like staff can quit residents can also move out and what money would they have then none. Staff is not treated fairly specially when managers have favorites oh lets give them all the hours and they can call in whenever but people that actually work hard barely get hours. Obviously bonaventure of Salem hasnt passed previous inspections for a reason. Dont put your loved ones in this facility.

Start treating your staff and residents the way they should be treated.

Worst career move I ever made working for them

Former Employee - Executive Director  in  Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Salem, OR

I worked at Bonaventure Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

They build gorgeous buildings, that is about it. I seriously cannot think of twenty words to describe any pros with this company.

Cons

Turn the and burn them mentality. Extremely high pressure sales to families. Was instructed by upper level marketing to go online and leave (fake) positive reviews on various sites during my first week of employment. Home office has big brother mentality. EDs do not run their buildings, COO, Pam Grey does.
    Heads in Beds is the term used over and over by executive marketers to motivate sales, lacked any sort of personal touch with vulnerable families. High turnover in every management position, HR/corporate office staff refuses to see themselves as a main reason for this turnover. Expectations are not just high, they are unrealistic. Long hours, weekends, vacations denied, called at home all the time. They told me they believed in the family/work balance during the interview process. Was NOT true in my case.
    Care staff is some of the lowest paid in the industry. Families and residents complained daily about the lack of stability "in Salem' where the home office is located. I have been in the industry for over 15 years, I was warned by many NOT to work for this company. I should have listened.

They wont listen so it doesn't really matter.

Don't Rent or Work here!

Former Employee - Driver  in  Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Driver in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Bonaventure Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Residents are fantastic and you'll love giving them the care and support

Cons

Constant change in management, low paying, depending on current manegment-likely no concerns for you or the residents- just about the census, penny pinching...etc...

Management is constantly changing! The ones that really care about your renters and the employees taking care of them, never last long either because they didn't meet the quota standereds or they couldn't put up with the ridiculous corporate standards. And telling every resident if they don't like it then move!!!??? What kind of person from corporate does that?? Do you want the building to close? Not to mention the stress put on staff and expecting them to do every job? I'm sorry, your hired to do a job, yes once in awhile you may help our in another area but it should not be expected all the time. No wonder Spring Creek is in shambles! Then employees who quite are banned from visiting residents they have bonded with! If they left on their own accord who cares! These are people who need and love visitors! And they pay enough to have whoever they want in their home!!!! so much more I could add! Unless you desperately need a job, keep looking!

Bonaventure Senior Living Response

May 1, 2014Web Marketing Coordinator

Bonaventure Senior Living strives to provide an exceptional senior lifestyle to the residents we serve. We respect and value all team members who help us achieve this mission. We are very sorry to ... More

Overall good company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

I have been working at Bonaventure Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Growing company in a growing industry. Reasonably good benefits and pay. Get to help seniors. Get to work with great people. Management has done/is doing a lot to reward employees more and reduce turnover.

Cons

Spend much of the time putting out little fires rather than planning/preventing issues. High turnover in some positions, but not as much at the home office. A lot of the older reviews on here have to do with problems that have since been resolved.

Delegate more, especially as the company grows. Empower others to do what they do best.

Bonaventure Senior Living communities Oregon / Washington

Current Employee - Sale/Marketing
    Current Employee - Sale/Marketing

I have been working at Bonaventure Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Helping Seniors and great team environment. Social atmosphere. Company large enough to have stability and small enough to know corporate management team

Cons

Overcoming past misconceptions of Bonaventure SL

Add more up to date information to your social networking accounts on company mission, goals, charities and events. Also, include photos and events of different communities. Include quotes and some case studies of how you have helped seniors and from seniors

Worked for Bonaventure Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!