Bonefish Grill

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
3.7

Stephen Judge

Pros
  • Compared to other restaurants, Bonefish is ahead for good food and customer service (in 10 reviews)

• Great food, good atmosphere that brings in customers and management makes sure you comfortable with training (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • standing and walking long hours (in 9 reviews)

• Continuing to squeeze an already tight management team to produce more just means longer hours, no balance and no extra compensation (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job

Former Employee - Food Prep in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Food Prep in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Bonefish Grill part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Work experience, helpful friendly staff, Good food and easy to learn

Cons

No Cons , I had a great experience

Interesting

Current Employee - Angler
    Current Employee - Angler

I have been working at Bonefish Grill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity is there if you are willing to put in the hours, and not have much of a life outside of work. Once you move up, you get some of your life back though. Family like atmosphere amongst most employees and management team. We have our troubles, but we always manage to get through the storms and come out stronger. Scheduling is not an issue, and my management team is always able to adjust as needed to provide anglers off when they need it. 40 hour work week is not an issue, I get my hours, but work my rear end off to keep them.

Cons

Culture change! This is not the company that was started years ago. The idea of you get fish, we get fresh is long gone, and the concept now mind as well be, how do we cut labor costs, increase profits, and make shareholders happy! Positions are being eliminated, more items are coming in ready to eat, and not scratch made anymore. People need jobs, and the new head of the company only seems to care about money and making more of it, at the expense of employees.

Quit making decisions based on money and driving profits first and foremost. I understand that we are supposed to make money, but people matter too! The changes being made up the ladder are hard to execute at the restaurant level and the people that are making the changes sit at desks all day! With the changing landscape of competitors, Bonefish has a chance to change and make the company into something great, while still taking care of the employees and the shareholders, but puts focus only onto the shareholders. Without the dedicated employees, there would be no restaurants and senior management needs to be reminded of that fact!

Pretty satisfactory as far as restaurant work goes

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Bonefish Grill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Money is pretty consistent. Training program, when followed, is very thorough and well done. Hours are good. 50% discount on meals in your home restaurant and 25% discount on meals in other Bonefish Grills and sister concepts (Outback Steakhouse, Carrabbas, Roy's, Flemings) also a plus. Clientele is usually kind, courteous and generous with tips.

Cons

Healthcare benefits are offered to hourly employees, but you have to work for the company for at least one year prior to October. (For example, if you were hired between November 2012 and October 2013, you would not be eligible for benefits in October 2013. You would have to wait until October 2014 to enroll.) Paid vacation time is offered after one year of employment, but you have to work a minimum of 32 hours per week to be eligible which is difficult to attain as a front of house employee unless you work six days a week or are consistently scheduled doubles on brunch/lunch days.

Make benefits available earlier to hourly employees in their tenure. Keep in mind that just because someone is a hard worker doesn't mean they are cut out for salaried management positions within the company.

Great place to start

I have been working at Bonefish Grill

Pros

Flexible work schedule, great tips even just as a hostess, and many opportunities for free food.

Cons

Management got sloppy which is why I left. It is the restaurant business though, so can't expect too much.

It was fair

Former Employee - Wait Staff in Southern Pines, NC
    Former Employee - Wait Staff in Southern Pines, NC

I worked at Bonefish Grill full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Its good money and fast money. Easy to learn menu

Cons

Management changed alot at one point in 8 years of me being their. That was hard. And very clicky compared to other restaurants i have worked in.

Things arent always as they seem

Decent place for a part time job!

Current Employee - Host in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Host in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Bonefish Grill part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, Clean, Food is really good and you get a nice discount.

Cons

Understaffed, bad training, people get fired easily

Great place to work

Current Employee - Server in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Server in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bonefish Grill full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work with a family atmosphere.Need to be personable and hard working. Pay is good and the hours are the best around.

Cons

not really any, great place

Bonefish is an awesome job for someone in college or looking for extra money. Hours aren't bad, pay is bad either

I have been working at Bonefish Grill (more than an year)

Pros

Decent Tips, Not too much side work.

Cons

Place is still new, kitchen is young and your food may take awhile. managers get super stressed

Hire another Manager so you guys can get some sleep

Love my job here

I have been working at Bonefish Grill full-time

Pros

Fast paced
    Easy money
    Flexible schedule
    Career advancement for the right individuals
    Consistent income and consistent food quality
    Great second or part time job but also enough for you to be full time

Cons

Politics
    Online classes
    corporate expectations made by people who aren't actually the ones doing the work or who haven't been in an actual store in years

Follow the rules set in place for you and make your employees do the same or punish them fairly and appropriately

Great until new management!!

Current Employee - Server in Southern Pines, NC
    Current Employee - Server in Southern Pines, NC

I have been working at Bonefish Grill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great training, potential to make great money if you're a great server. used to LOVE coming to work. Old Managing partner was incredible!! Now I hate going to work.

Cons

Incompetent management that talks trash about each other and other employees. Constantly running out of inventory due to K.M. incompetence! Medical insurance is horrible, there's a $2400 deductible before they cover anything. Anglers constantly bickering, management plays favorites. They have fired several Anglers because " I didn't like them" now a lot of people are scared to say anything for fear of termination.

Terminate current management and get some managers with good experience.

Bonefish Grill Photos