Bonfils Blood Center

Not yet rated.

Bonfils Blood Center President and CEO Bryan Krueger

Bryan Krueger

Good work experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIn my position there was a lot of room for growth within the company.

ConsSome individuals were challenging, not able to embrace criticism or understand that the point of being critical was only to make the company better.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to frontline staff, they are the experts.

Pays the bills

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGood people to work with, alright pay for recent graduate

ConsIn the past the company was really geared toward the community. Now it seems the company has a more business mindset, and very interested in making a profit and cutting costs. Upper management doesn't care about the little guys, the hours are imbalanced -its either feast or famine, the past couple years we've only had 2% raises, no bonuses. There have been a lot of unexpected firings and layoffs, so everybody is in fear of losing their job. Upper management is sketchy and untrustworthy.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better to your people. Let us see the rewards of affiliating with BSI - ie. Raises.

Great people, stable job!

Mfg Lab Tech II (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat work environment, great coworkers. Stability in Mfg,

ConsNon-profit = below avg.pay for all the training and responsibility put on Mfg.= High turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementYour greatest asset are your experienced employees. Pay scale should be low for new employees and greater as years served. Get bigger pay rate jumps for years of service. This will cut down on high turnover. Undesirables will be out early. only dedicated employees will stick it out. Major savings on training and errors.. Less stress on dept supes to have to train someone for 3 months only to have them leave 1 or 2 years later. Example: 1year! ($13) 3yrs(15). 5yrs(18). 10yrs(20), 15yrs(22), 20+ should be making $25-30/hr

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, not a great company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsSome of the most dedicated, passionate people I've ever worked with.
    Decent pay, particularly for new grads.
    Good benefits, especially health insurance.

ConsSome managers have difficult personalities.
    QA/RA department has been losing all their best employees due to mismanagement. This will hurt them in the long run.
    Loss of employees through attrition has resulted in low morale - everyone is doing 3 people's jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your appreciation of the employees more. The monthly "cake and lemonade" parties are pretty sad.
    Hire additional people for extremely overworked areas.

This is the worst job experience of my career.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsSatisfaction of helping save lives; nice breakroom facilities; nice gifts (vests, t-shirts, camp chair) once a year and some of the employees are great.

ConsThe cultural environment is very dysfunctional. There is constant back stabbing and finger pointing, not a team environment at all. Most mid-managers are interested only in saving their own jobs, not at all interested in or capable of coaching their staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe cons of working for Bonfils starts at the top and trickles down quickly. Upper management should be replaced with people competent in their field who are willing to build and coach good teams. Many employees have been there so long and are in their positions not because they are capable and good managers, but because of longevity. Everyone, particularly in management positions should be let go and required to re-apply for their jobs.

Bonfils is a good place for a paycheck but that is about it.

Donor Tech (Current Employee) Westminster, CO

ProsDevelop new skills and can take them elsewhere. Helping your community blood supply.

ConsNo recognition from management and constant pressure to meet unfair goals. No pay raises in years. Very low morale in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to recognize and actually compliment people rather than threaten them all of the time. Morale is so freaking low it is a shame. Flex schedule is unfair and you don't allow people to have a life. Bonfils Management is often unapproachable and incompetent.

Not a positive experience, proceed with caution.

Laboratory Technologist I (Night Shift) (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGet to work in an industry that is positive and beneficial to the community. Dont have to have any previous industry experience to apply for basic positions. Starting pay and benefits are great to start.

ConsIf you dont mind getting thrown under the bus by both management and other employees its just fine. I have never been in a work place that is so cut-throat at all levels. Advancement requires an act of god. However, there are many departments and not all are run by the same people - some folks are very happy there. Burn out was excessive while I was there due to consistent mid-level management failure.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter mid-level managment is a must, especially in the laboratories.

Bonfils...good idea....bad place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe purpose of the Company is to provide life saving blood to the Colorado healthcare community. I chose to work here because I wanted my work to have a greater impact other than just earning a check. Parts of the laboratory favored fresh college graduates and was an good introductory workplace.

ConsConstant management change, constant internal restructuring, three rounds of layoff's within two years (DTL, Warehouse, QSS staff, HR staff, VP's) There has been an incredible shift to not hire skilled medical technicians or science educated staff, management is shifting towards hiring business mindsets for laboratory work. No talent stays in management...very fast departures, mobile/collection staff, business development reps and production staff have extremely consistent and high turn over rates. Increased push on manufacturing productivity is back-breaking and demoralizing to all. Has no set tiered discpline system, and question the many of the ethical practices in regards to employee rights to complain and not be punished or treated in a hostile fashion. Company had divided into two buildings and then is in process of merging back into one, very embarrassing that layoff's had to take place due to bad financial choices by management. Watching the public flagging of our last Medical Director and company president Dr. Dickey on the news and throughout Denver media was absolutely shameful.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour front line staff up through introductory supervisors are being treated poorly. The hostility from middle managers, the hawk-eye, ruthless, and tense workplace of current is unprofessional and just plain sad. Please bring back the Franklin Covey system, computer training courses, all the employee BBQ's, ZOO days, Christmas dinner, and all the $$$$$ you cut to make everything bare bones. Please seek and pay for better new hires. Please hire the right educational background for the right department. i.e. business for business development, Biology and Chemistry for the laboratory, QAS & QSS that actually have a medical device/product knowledge base and not English degrees.

gestapo techniques to enforce management philosophy and compliance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosmy co workers were great, other than that, can't think of any pros right now...I suppose their uniforms look fairly nice, it's just that their management philosophy is based on intimidation

Consafter 20 years of this type of work, I've found this the absolute worst in the industry, training insufficient because they don't follow up with practical on the job guidance

Advice to Senior Managementswitch over to health CARE philosophy instead of assembly line for donors

It is a job

Somewhere At Bonfils (Current Employee)

ProsThe company lets the employee take time off when necessary, and vacation time and the tuition reimbursement are a few other perks that are great.

ConsIt is hard to get a promotion to departments like Q.A. I.T. and Accounting. It seems like the company hires from the outside with out giving people a chance to explore this type of advancement. I think in my opinion the company can create personnel assets using the tuition reimbursement program to really make a return on their investment in this program. It is puzzling why the H.R. department does not do this.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to mentor employees into other roles in other departments and continue to provide raises, tuition reimbursements. Your people are your number one asset even in lean times. Try to use Research to create new technologies and innovation i.e. 7 day platelets, increase longer expiration of blood components and improvements to operating procedures overall. Also get Title 21 up and running by breaking the old world thinking and create innovation and tapping the talented thinking that mentoring provides. Provided corporation between departments and try to work together for the common goal.

Worked for Bonfils Blood Center? Contribute to the Community!