Bonnier Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bonnier Corporation CEO Dave Freygang

Dave Freygang

Pros
  • A no-pressure work environment, for the most part(in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits and the opportunity to accomplish high-quality work(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no room for advancement(in 5 reviews)

• A lot of layoffs, change and low pay(in 8 reviews)

A good stepping stone into professional web development

Web Developer (Former Employee) Winter Park, FL

ProsWorked on some new open source technologies, agile development, professional workflow/pipeline

ConsOutdated practices, print industry trying to stay current, unable to keep up with other publications in terms of new technology and digital experiences

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to web developers as they are experts in internet experiences and new technologies

Production Manager

Print Production Manager (Former Employee) Winter Park, FL

ProsThere are none that come to mind.

ConsThe managers are incompetent. The staff is underpaid. If you are sexually harassed, then it is your fault.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the useless managers that you have running the department. Pay your employees.

Incompetent leadership

Editor (Former Employee) Winter Park, FL

ProsPeople, brands, facilities, benefits, atmosphere, location

ConsPay, inept management, constant layoffs, insufficient resources to do job properly, terrible morale

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make all of your decisions based on short-term financial gains, don't expect quality work if you don't provide the resources--and pay--to make it happen. Get rid of crazy managers who are obviously not qualified to lead.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Account Executive

Sales (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsOverall a good experience, Great people that were passionate about the industry. Excluding higher ups!

ConsCEO at the time was weak which resulted in bad decisions with publshers, which left the direction of the company suffer

A great team to work with.

Senior IOS Developer (Former Employee) Winter Park, FL

ProsFlexible hours.
    Open to suggestions and willing to listen to your ideas.
    A no-pressure work environment, for the most part.
    Friendly co-workers.

ConsLittle to no room for advancement.
    Development workstation I was given was outdated and too underpowered to perform the daily tasks necessary. Went to the store and purchased a new system with my own money to get the job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeeping the star players around, and promoting them accordingly, would help the company shine brighter.

Having the right tools to do the job would certainly make the job easier.

Bottom-line focused company

ProsBonnier values quality work, which is great - such an expectation pushes employees to perform to their best ability. The schedule is somewhat flexible and friendly to parents. Bonnier is working toward recognizing excellence in the company with achievement awards.

ConsThe pay is not commensurate with the quality of work expected, or for the talent that is developed. Bonnier is always looking for a bargain. This is a somewhat understandable strategy as the company works to be profitable.

Email Marketing Manager

Email Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Winter Park, FL

ProsThe people you work with, for the most part, is THE best thing at Bonnier. The location of the office is good too. You can learn a lot in the first couple of years that will be a stepping stone for the rest of your career. Dress code is casual.

ConsUnder paid, micro managed, policies are inconsistent applied, hypocrisy between the way working mothers are treated and how the Working Mother brand recommends, HR says the corporate culture is one way but in fact is the opposite, they are cutting back which includes continuing education, networking, and conferences, upper management is out of touch, nepotism, continuing layoffs (except they hire more upper management...), employees are constantly told things will change but they don't, the "digital first" theme is a broken record, talent isn't recognized or welcome - you have to stay in managements box, zero upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's a senior management advisory board but they are still out of touch with their entry-level and middle management employees. There should be two advisory boards. If upper management cared then they would want to know what all theirs employees think. I would also do exit interviews to find out why so many talented employees leave.

No appetite for risk

ProsGreat if you like your vertical

ConsAwful centralized service structure, particularly digital operations

Culture Never Caught Up With Brands/People

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat brands, good editorial office and sales office locations, some great people.

ConsTerrible culture that has not found its way since Bonnier acquired Time4 plus TI brands.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO once said "This is not the type of company where you come to move up and grow. There are 50 people waiting behind you for each of your jobs." Listen to your employees and figure out what makes other companies competitive. Invest in your people and your brands and they will both be valuable in the future.

Good but no sense of stability

Digital Services (Current Employee) Winter Park, FL

ProsAwesome environment, people and brands

ConsA lot of layoffs, change and low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the ones that stick around, offer competitive pay

Worked for Bonnier Corporation? Contribute to the Community!