Bonobos Reviews

Andrew Dunn

1. Accounting Intern

Current Intern - Accounting Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Accounting Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Bonobos as an intern

Pros

Amazing company. Very friendly environment.

Cons

A lot of work Sometimes you work long hours.

Guideshop

Former Employee - Guide
    Former Employee - Guide

I worked at Bonobos full-time (less than a year)

Pros

interesting business model
    cool and innovative way to shop online with the guideshop

Cons

long hours
    changed from salary to hourly
    no commission
    no upward mobility
    high turn over
    lack of communication from upper management
    long hours

Advice to Management

value your employees as they are just as important as your customer
    this company cares more about rapid expansion than their employees

Started off positive, quickly took a negative turn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bonobos full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Clothes are good looking and you can learn a lot.

Cons

Lots of fear mongering from upper management regarding store-sales and policies. All policies were disorganized and not written up most of the time. Employees in stores were often confused about what was and wasn't okay. When corporate visited, sometimes the person visiting simply intimidated the employees. Very little support from upper management to the stores (when they were involved which was about 1x/week. Compensation structural change not handled well.

Advice to Management

Please realize that the shops are a substantial part of your business and employees in those shops should not be afraid to ask for support. Have a better handle on the hiring process in the stores- I was a manager and it was pretty much up to me who I hired and recruited, even though I had no idea what I was doing. Do not come into town and scare employees with a bunch of questions.

5. Amazing Experience!

I have been working at Bonobos

Pros

It's great to work for a company that is growing and growing fast. At Bonobos you can really see the result of your work which creates a unique feeling of accomplishment, as well as the ability to look back and see how far you've come. The team is super close knit making the work environment fun, yet everyone is extremely hard working. It's a great balance. With a small community, your peers are incredibly passionate about what they do- everyone truly wants the best for the Company as a whole and the energy around the Brand itself is contagious. I would definitely recommend working here- you won't find another place like it.

Cons

I can't think of too many cons. It really depends on the work environment you are looking for.

6. Changes and "Corporatization"

I have been working at Bonobos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great PR and publicity. Product and Branding.

Cons

Pay cut backs, top heavy management, no growth and company doesn't like to hire from within. Not yet profitable as a company.

The best company to work for in retail

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bonobos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people, a great culture. If you don't end up being friends with your coworkers, you must be actively avoiding it. A vacation policy that treats people like adults (do what's right for you and do what's right for the company), various other perks and most of all, an annual camping trip where you get to truly know the people you spend tons of hours with. Most importantly, everyone is passionate and for the most part, passionate about fulfilling the company's mission. Company values are something to be proud of. Amazing company discount.

Cons

This really depends on who you are. If you want a 9-5 job, look elsewhere. For someone looking for a pure startup culture, you're not going to get it here. This is a hybrid startup / fashion company.

As the company gets larger, it'll continue to be a challenge to scale the culture. When a company is 50 people, it's easy to hire everyone that truly wants to put their blood sweat and tears into a company. When it's 200, it's more likely that people will choose Bonobos for a paycheck.

Finally, limited resources. But for anyone whose worked at a startup, they understand this. This isn't google or apple who is printing money in a back room. I believe the company will get there but it's not there yet.

Advice to Management

Place a greater emphasis and reward structure around those individuals who interact with our customers. Too much emphasis seems to be placed on the teams that design the clothes (as is the case with traditional retail) or the tech team (as is the case with a startup). Bonobos customers love our customer service so let's elevate those individuals.

8. Not what it once was

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Bonobos full-time (less than a year)

Pros

a lot of coworker camaraderie, great discount, flexible hours and vacation time, great product, new innovative selling concept, this is a great place for part-time work, but not a lot of full time opportunities

Cons

disorganized company, poorly run stores, constant criticism from upper management and almost no positive feedback, declining pay, massive overturn

Advice to Management

Go back to the original virtue of people before profits. I heard that Bonobos used to be one of the best companies to work for and now it seems like just another flailing retail chain.

Great People, fun place, lot of work

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Bonobos full-time

Pros

Best group of people I've ever worked with. Have formed many friendships since starting. Some nice perks like cell phone plan, bar nights, some meals. Open atmosphere whether related to company performance info or speaking with Directors, VPs, C-level, etc.

Cons

A lot of work. Compensation could be better. Performance expectations and promotion criteria not always clear. Being spread across three floors has negatively impacted startup company culture.

Great place to learn but not to stay.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bonobos full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You'll learn a ton from some pretty creative people. And the awesome benefits will keep you here for some time. The pay is about right, but the hours can be pretty long. If company culture is important to you then this is the place, although it can feel fratty at times.

Cons

Managers do not have much leadership experience and don't really know how to get the best out of their teams. There's quite a bit of turnover for a company that prides itself on extremely high employee satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Hire managers with more leadership experience or at least give them proper training. Make it a huge priority to increase the diversity here.

The best work experience I've ever had!

I have been working at Bonobos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bonobos is a company filled with incredibly bright, hard-working people who don't take themselves too seriously but are passionate about building the best clothing company of all time. They know how to work hard and play hard (Cliché Alert--but it's true!). Everyone is given a substantial amount of responsibility and clearly understands that how well they do their jobs affects the success of the business. The company is committed to letting employees exercise their judgment in making decisions, from Associates on up to VP's. It's a best-ideas-win kind of place where even entry-level employees can contribute immediately through the exchange of ideas. Expectations are extremely high throughout the company's departments, but those who perform well are recognized team-wide for their contributions. It's a highly-collaborative atmosphere in which even junior employees can work on important projects that have a direct effect on the business. My experience here has been incredible particularly when I talk to other friends who work in startup companies of a similar size. The energy is contagious and the people are what make this place so truly special. It's not for everyone--and they're picky about who they choose to hire--but those who make the cut all help to make this the incredible place to work it is.

Cons

There's not a lot of hand-holding--this is not the place for those who want to be coddled. Sometimes when you're thrown into the deep end you can feel overwhelmed, but there's plenty of support for those who aren't afraid to ask and the end result is that employees learn more faster and become self-sufficient earlier in their careers.