Bonobos Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014
3.9

Andrew Dunn

The best company to work for in retail

I have been working at Bonobos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing people, a great culture. If you don't end up being friends with your coworkers, you must be actively avoiding it. A vacation policy that treats people like adults (do what's right for you and do what's right for the company), various other perks and most of all, an annual camping trip where you get to truly know the people you spend tons of hours with. Most importantly, everyone is passionate and for the most part, passionate about fulfilling the company's mission. Company values are something to be proud of. Amazing company discount.

Cons

This really depends on who you are. If you want a 9-5 job, look elsewhere. For someone looking for a pure startup culture, you're not going to get it here. This is a hybrid startup / fashion company.

As the company gets larger, it'll continue to be a challenge to scale the culture. When a company is 50 people, it's easy to hire everyone that truly wants to put their blood sweat and tears into a company. When it's 200, it's more likely that people will choose Bonobos for a paycheck.

Finally, limited resources. But for anyone whose worked at a startup, they understand this. This isn't google or apple who is printing money in a back room. I believe the company will get there but it's not there yet.

Place a greater emphasis and reward structure around those individuals who interact with our customers. Too much emphasis seems to be placed on the teams that design the clothes (as is the case with traditional retail) or the tech team (as is the case with a startup). Bonobos customers love our customer service so let's elevate those individuals.

Lengthy interview process with multiple changes to the role including f/t to p/t, perm to temp, and salary before offer.

I have been working at Bonobos

Pros

They have some truly passionate hardworking employees. I really enjoyed meeting with the several employees that I interviewed with. I didn't mind that I interviewed with 7 or 8 people because I understood the company better having done so. Another pro is that I think the company is in a growth phase which is exciting.

Cons

I did not accept the position as the interview process lasted three months and the position I interviewed for changed from perm to temporary and other changes that I would have not applied for had it initially been disclosed. I didn't mind the thoroughness of the interview process it was that they were very indecisive in their decisions and I was really looking for a long term position. They changed it to temp to perm and as a temp they offered me salary which I wasn't happy with either. A temporary role of that nature would have needed to be hourly. During the third month of the interview process I was offered a perm position closer to home. I'm not regretful of my decision.

Bonobos is a good company. My only advise would be to make sure you understand what you are looking for and what you are budgeted for in a position before you go out and interview for the position. I understand things change but you have to think about the lives of the people you are interviewing, as well as what is beneficial for the company. That's my two cents.

Not what it once was

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Bonobos full-time for less than a year

Pros

a lot of coworker camaraderie, great discount, flexible hours and vacation time, great product, new innovative selling concept, this is a great place for part-time work, but not a lot of full time opportunities

Cons

disorganized company, poorly run stores, constant criticism from upper management and almost no positive feedback, declining pay, massive overturn

Go back to the original virtue of people before profits. I heard that Bonobos used to be one of the best companies to work for and now it seems like just another flailing retail chain.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People, fun place, lot of work

Current Employee - Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Bonobos full-time

Pros

Best group of people I've ever worked with. Have formed many friendships since starting. Some nice perks like cell phone plan, bar nights, some meals. Open atmosphere whether related to company performance info or speaking with Directors, VPs, C-level, etc.

Cons

A lot of work. Compensation could be better. Performance expectations and promotion criteria not always clear. Being spread across three floors has negatively impacted startup company culture.

Great place to learn but not to stay.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bonobos full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll learn a ton from some pretty creative people. And the awesome benefits will keep you here for some time. The pay is about right, but the hours can be pretty long. If company culture is important to you then this is the place, although it can feel fratty at times.

Cons

Managers do not have much leadership experience and don't really know how to get the best out of their teams. There's quite a bit of turnover for a company that prides itself on extremely high employee satisfaction.

Hire managers with more leadership experience or at least give them proper training. Make it a huge priority to increase the diversity here.

The best work experience I've ever had!

I have been working at Bonobos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bonobos is a company filled with incredibly bright, hard-working people who don't take themselves too seriously but are passionate about building the best clothing company of all time. They know how to work hard and play hard (Cliché Alert--but it's true!). Everyone is given a substantial amount of responsibility and clearly understands that how well they do their jobs affects the success of the business. The company is committed to letting employees exercise their judgment in making decisions, from Associates on up to VP's. It's a best-ideas-win kind of place where even entry-level employees can contribute immediately through the exchange of ideas. Expectations are extremely high throughout the company's departments, but those who perform well are recognized team-wide for their contributions. It's a highly-collaborative atmosphere in which even junior employees can work on important projects that have a direct effect on the business. My experience here has been incredible particularly when I talk to other friends who work in startup companies of a similar size. The energy is contagious and the people are what make this place so truly special. It's not for everyone--and they're picky about who they choose to hire--but those who make the cut all help to make this the incredible place to work it is.

Cons

There's not a lot of hand-holding--this is not the place for those who want to be coddled. Sometimes when you're thrown into the deep end you can feel overwhelmed, but there's plenty of support for those who aren't afraid to ask and the end result is that employees learn more faster and become self-sufficient earlier in their careers.

The vision is the glue that keeps us afloat.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bonobos full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fun & funny, environment to work in.
    - Creativity is supported
    - Transparency is celebrated.
    - Good amount of recognition for jobs well done.
    - Lots of opportunities for growth.
    - Anything but boring.
    - Our product rocks.

Cons

Cons:
    - Culture can be "cult-ish" and often feels fratty. (This can be fun for some)
    - Office is dirty, loud, over-crowded. Never enough meeting rooms.
    - Crazy amount of turnover.
    - Morale is poor, but everyone believes in the ultimate vision which keeps people there.
    - Upper management makes questionable decisions.
    - Most employees feel stressed and stretched too thin.

Product and our vision is sound. Spend more time improving, supporting and listening to employees and it will = success.

Fun, Smart, Fulfilling Work Environment

I have been working at Bonobos

Pros

Bonobos has a great energy that you feel when you walk through the door. The team is made up of smart, hard-working people who are incredibly passionate about what they do. It's really inspiring to watch each team work so hard to reach the common goal of making and keeping Bonobos awesome.
    The absolute funniest people I've ever met are all Bonobos employees. The place is ripe with comedic geniuses.

Cons

If you're into quiet offices where no one really talks, this isn't the place for you. The teams work collaboratively and the open areas of the office can get a bit loud. It's nothing that headphones can't fix, but if you're not into robust work environments, this probably isn't the office for you. On the other hand, if you like to see and hear the hustle and bustle, you'll love the Bonobos office.

People before Profit

I have been working at Bonobos full-time for less than a year

Pros

Bonobos is a company that truly cares about its people. Operates more like a team then an office and everyone really cares and supports one another. This is the first time I have worked at a company where everyone is really working together to achieve a common goal, while having a blast. They offer great little perks like monthly bar nights, birthday celebrations, book club, cell phone coverage to name a few, oh and how could I forget...no vacation policy! People work really hard here, but they also know how to have a good time.

Cons

If you don't like a fast-paced work environment then this place isn't for you. As in any start-up there is a lot of trial and error but as long as you can roll with the punches you will get on just fine.

Hectic but rewarding

I have been working at Bonobos full-time for less than a year

Pros

+ combines a lot of typical start-up excitement with the management capabilities of a "corporate" company (without feeling stuffy)
    + selling an actual physical product is great. Reduces a lot of stress around revenue stream, like other start-ups.
    + customers are absolutely enthusiastic about the brand
    + small teams mean frequent feedback loops and good interaction with coworkers
    + company is growing and will continue to do so
    + leadership team is very accessible
    + the company recognizes its mistakes and corrects them (great example is moving the tech team from Palo Alto to New York when it was apparent having just one unit of the company in a separate office was creating silos)
    + having a Guideshop in the office is great to both see the products and the excitement of our customers
    + extremely transparent culture - you know when we beat our estimates or miss our goals
    + and of course, the employee discount is pretty awesome

Cons

- physical office space is getting cramped and doesn't have a "wow" factor like some offices do. being split between two floors isn't ideal for a lot of reasons, including a lack of interaction with basically half the company
    - For some reason, the company doesn't seem as "sexy" as other similar companies (Warby, Fab, Birchbox). Not sure how to recapture that buzz. But having it would go a long way to attracting more talent.
    - i've admittedly been spoiled in the past, but office perks are lacking (no meals, free soda...)
    - things change FAST (I don't mind it...others might)

- new office space is probably the biggest wish among employees
    - maintain the open culture as the company continues to scale

Worked for Bonobos? Contribute to the Community!