Booker

Updated December 18, 2014
3.8

Booker CEO Josh McCarter
Josh McCarter

Pros
  • Work environment: casual but professional (in 8 reviews)

• Management is open to time off and promote a healthy work life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales Managers in the middle levels are somewhat inexperienced, but are extremely driven and trying their best to build the sales team (in 5 reviews)

• We're a start-up, so we are all hands on deck most of the time (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Love working at Booker!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Booker (more than an year)

Pros

Love the culture here. The people are fun and hard working. We just had our holiday party and it reinforced my affinity for the company. Management seems to really care about the happiness of their employees.

Cons

There really needs to be a matching 401k plan. That is the only real thing that's disappointing. Hope that changes soon.

Fast-growing startup, terrific culture, exciting growth prospects

I have been working at Booker

Pros

Booker has a terrific culture that starts with its senior leadership. Smart people work here and they work hard, but maintain a solid work-life balance. It is an exciting time to be at Booker, given its strong growth prospects in the short and long run. Also, Booker is making a huge impact on small businesses and the product is great - it is rewarding to be a part of that impact and create something that actually helps people. Lastly, Booker is a nice combination of a startup environment/culture with a growing/maturing company that is on its way to becoming a mid-sized company. So you get the best of all worlds - growth, culture, opportunity and stability.

Cons

Sales management seems inexperienced and could use training or need to be revisited. Company and senior leadership needs to revisit their core values. Also, more accountability is needed across all levels when it comes to goals.

Take the time to truly define what Booker's core values are, as this needs to resonate within the company. Also, be more transparent when it comes to company goals - for example, Sales goals, Product goals, Marketing goals...

A startup that never grew up

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Booker full-time (less than an year)

Pros

beer, social gatherings, oranges, free swag, a ping pong table, desks, chairs,

Honestly the only really positive take away from this place was I got to work from home 2 days a week. The Human Resources department were very understanding (as I was resigning due to conflicts with co-workers, and were very interested in my feedback). There is work to be done here, and depending on how you see it, it's an opportunity, or a nightmare.

Cons

I was neither trained, nor on-boarded in any capacity.

immature senior staff/directors, company operates more like a frat house, poor management / lack of leadership, inexperienced executives, recruiter was unprofessional, generally a very unstable place that puts it's resources on the hook when product management/sales make mistakes, or they are reeling from horrible contracted relationships which force the hand to tip the companies efforts in all hands on deck efforts each time they made a release or had to satisfy the demanding clients wishes.

Generally most of the technical staff seemed frustrated until they have beers,

They don't pay competitively

I was able to know within the first week this place was a mess and I made a huge mistake accepting the position. I watched a dozen people continue to resign each week as soon as i joined. I watched a director get fired in the most embarrassing way possible. I began looking for a new position after 2 months.

This was the first time in my career I had to quit during my resignation period. My supervisor was bitter, and began demanding terms (which neither were discussed prior to my resignation nor acceptable). I literally had to take 3 weeks off unpaid and pay a claw back signing bonus. Easily the worst work experience I've ever had professionally

Luckily I landed on my feet, and things are looking much better for me these days.

Do you want to hire quality people? Start from the top down, Build a real C team. Create a mentor program which inspires young developers and supports their careers. Create a positive learning culture. Eliminate the bad apples that while tenured and experienced in their improvised and strange operation, have provided little to no opportunity for the new people to step up. Break some walls, avoid gimmicky silver bullet solutions like "agile", choose a focus, stop trying to maintain the sinking ship, I've never seen a company support 5 versions of their own API.

If you can't change much of what I described, consider selling the company.

Awesome

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Booker

Pros

Great work environment, great product

Cons

Management needs to be more professional.

Higher a manager that is capable of being a manager.

Great Resume Builder and chance to meet talented people!

I worked at Booker full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Learn new things quickly
    - More chances to make your own decisions and have an impact IF you go for it
    - Meet the best people - they know how to hire talent
    - Great resume builder since you get to wear several hats in different roles
    - Young atmosphere and open
    - Fun outings

Booker is a great company for anyone out of college who is looking to get experience. They are willing to show you all they can show you and want you to grow but it is not a company where you stay a long time at, you get your experience and leave. The people are what make everyday worth it because you get to see the hard work and time put in from all departments and watch and idea turn into a reality.

Cons

- Salary
    - Career Growth
    - minimal communication within departments

Great Start-up

Current Employee - Client Success Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Success Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Booker full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Booker is a great place to transition or reach another level in your career in a short span time. The culture is vibrant as the company always has celebrations on it's achievements and goals! The people range from people who have been since and newbies. It can be a little awkward at first working in a open space with over fifty people and a range of personalities but that is the epitome of NYC. Overall, I would recommend Booker for someone needing a first time office experience or a career climber.

Cons

-open work space vs privacy
    -salary

Great Experience at a fast growing company

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Booker full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company has a great culture and is constantly hosting tons of fun events like boat cruises, ping pong tournaments etc. More important to me though is that the company is growing like crazy and you get to chance to work with a cool platform that helps small businesses grow.

CEO and management have an open door policy and truly mean it. I have brought ideas to my VP as well as directly to others in Senior Management and they have all been open to discussing. Very collaborative work atmosphere within the teams and across the company. You have a chance to make a big impact on the company if you want.

Also added bonus for kegs of micro-brew on each of floor which are replaced weekly :)

Cons

Company has minor growing pains like any place but nothing alarming.

Keep doing what you are doing! Booker is headed in the right direction, just focus on maintaining the elements which have made it great so far - transparency, innovative culture and fun atmosphere.

Great place to work for those determined to go somewhere.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Booker full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great starting salary for an entry level position.
    Since it's a growing company there are many ways to create value for yourself.
    Rewards those who try to go beyond what their job description is.

Cons

Since it is growing if you don't create your own path it can be hard to get noticed.

Great place to work. The restructuring of the departments shows clear path and organization. Moving in the right direction.

Fun Place to Work

I have been working at Booker full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Such nice people working here. So many fun activities. We just had our summer outing on an awesome boat and our summer Olympics. We celebrate birthdays and anniversaries. For a company that's been around now for awhile, it still has that nice family feel. We work hard but play hard too!

Cons

Sometimes leadership lacks a bit of direction. There is a lot of everyone's plate and sometimes that gets frustrating. But all in all, the company is moving in the right direction.

Communication has greatly improved over the last year. I would recommend to continue communicating as much as possible. More is more!

Great Company, Great People

Current Employee - Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Booker full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment with opportunities for professional growth. Understanding and helpful management. Honest, hardworking employees.Tons of perks (Summer Fridays, PTO, work events). Approachable and genuine CEO.

I have been with the company for 2 years and Booker has always taken care of me. The company has promoted me 3 times and recognized my hard work and contribution on various projects.

If you are a hard working, multitasking who is looking to shine in a fast growing company, Booker is for you!

Cons

If you are someone who sits on the back-burner and waits for tasks to be handed to you, you may not be a good fit for Booker.

Keep up the great work!