Booker

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Booker CEO Josh McCarter

Josh McCarter

Great Place to Work!

ProsBooker is an amazing place to work! The atmosphere and culture are very exciting and motivating. We just had a new release that went exceptionally well so the company only keeps on improving. The company has a very bright future ahead of it. The employees work hard to take this company to new heights. The executives acknowledge the hard work that the employees do so it does not go unnoticed. I already have, and will continue to recommend this company to anyone who is looking for a job. There is no better company in my mind.

ConsCommute to get there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Fun, challenging environment to grow and make a lasting impact

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAs part of the marketing team, I have two fabulous mentors with a ton of industry experience who truly care about investing in their team and helping them grow. Everyone I work with is smart, fun, hardworking, and willing to face problems head-on rather than sweeping them under the rug. There's enough structure within the company to provide room for advancement, but not so much structure that it causes inefficiencies and corporate roadblocks that get in the way of getting stuff done.
    The company culture is laid back and fun, and leaders are approachable at all levels of the organization.
    Benefits cover all the standard bases with some additional perks like pre-tax transit benefits as well.

ConsIt's a startup, so it goes without saying that the hours are long and the bar is set high in terms of company goals and performance.
    It's a culture of constant meetings, which can be beneficial but at times leads to burnout and diminishing returns.
    I also hate the requisite ping-pong table. Sorry.

Fun Company for Entry Level Canidates

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun work environment, culture was great!

Conscompany is starting to have some turnover problems with sales folks

Advice to Senior ManagementSpruce up your sales training

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsStaff allows working at Booker to be enjoyable
    Lots of internal growth
    End of the month FREE food for Sales ONLY
    Surf the web while work and get paid

Cons-Lack of communication across company and mostly within departments
    -Lack of employee appreciation
    -Managers have NO experience or training with the Software
    -Booker hires young employees within the Customer Experience department ( usually fresh out of college) and treat them as CHILDREN. It is visibly clear to EVERYONE across the company
    - Focus needs to be on enhancing the software ( appearance and bug related issues)
    - No company wide training
    -Start up culture quickly coming to an end

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your most valuable employees they know more about the software than you do. Every department should be treated equally the same. Enough with the "budget cuts"....invest in your employees. Happy Employees = Happy Customers ( Trader Joe's).

learning experience

Inside Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY

Proscool environment, good people and decent product

Conslong sales cycle, way to easy to lose earned commission.

Advice to Senior Managementneed to get their stuff together to make the sales cycle easy and seamless and actually help make the sales exec. money. the goals are usually unrealistic

A company with too much on their plate and no direction...

ProsBooker started as a great place. My coworkers are still incredible. They are smart, friendly and a ball of fun to be around. These are some of the most enjoyable people I have ever worked with.

ConsIn short, there is zero communication in the office. The company is lacking management with any kind of attachment to the product. Half of them have probably never even used it. They make decisions without taking into consideration the impact on existing customers and equally important their own employees. There is this constant 'just get it done' attitude without support. Somethings gotta give. The company is now full of managers who just want to delegate work without putting in any effort themselves or holding anyone accountable.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about your staff. Show them you care. Stop committing to deals you cannot support. Attrition will come as you lose more and more legacy staff unless you acknowledge it and do something about it.

Massive tech, product, and design debt.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood downtown Manhattan location near lots of restaurants, shops, stores.
    Software allegedly helps small and medium business
    Any hardware you want (generally)
    Not really much else to say

ConsHigh employee turnover
    Massive tech debt
    Badly coded platform
    Management can't make decisions
    Product is very poorly designed
    High customer churn
    Too many managers
    Too many legacy employees holding company back
    Too many partnerships where they rush to hack and code just to get stuff out the door

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. Hire smart, amazing, people who are proven at delivering fantastic work which customers love.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people great company that care about their employees

ConsThere is always a bad seed to bring you down where ever you go.

Great Company

Prosawesome co workers, fun environment, start up excitement, great hours

Conslittle to no promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within!

Booker Response

Jun 10, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback! Glad you are happy with the work environment. The FUN Committee works hard at creating awesome events!

Booker strives to help employees reach their full potential
    ... More

Great Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsBooker is a great place to work. The employees at this company are a young and friendly group of people. The management really tries to make everyone here happy and the company frequently sponsors fun events, such as happy hours, lunch and learns and Beer Fridays. Since it is a start-up, there's a lot of room to grow and take on responsibilities you would not otherwise get at a larger company. The dress code is also super casual and you can wear jeans everyday.

ConsIt's located in the financial district, which is not as easy to get to as midtown.

Worked for Booker? Contribute to the Community!