Booking.com

Booking.com Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Booking.com CEO Darren Huston

Darren Huston

Pros:
  • "Opportunity to travel and to meet new people (external and internal)"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Very nice working environment, fast growing company that never lets you get bored"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "You will be squized like an orange by slakers team leaders (noy all of them but a good number)"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Company culture only extends so far as the Netherlands border"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Some good people, bad management

Acquisition Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Booking.com full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company culture can be a positive aspect if you are young and single. Company paid happy hours and company outings. Health benefits are pretty good and well priced. Good people. Get to travel, can be good when you're not forced to do it at least 50% of the time.

ConsUnderpaid compared to their competition.
Inexperienced management...company is growing quickly and management has no idea how to handle it. Most managers dont actually have management experience.
So called "promotions" are not merit based. Get friendly with management and tell them they are great and you'll get a "promotion" where they'll cut your pay and give you more work.
Constantly changing bonus structure with astronomical goals.
False promises on bonuses...you might get it and then lose it.
Bonuses are very small compared to competiton.
No company cards for travel expenses. Pay out of pocket and then wait got reimbursed.
HR is there for show, nothing ever gets handled the way it should.
No growth potential at this point. If you started 5 or 6 years ago you could move up but not now.
17 year old international company with an unorganized startup feel to it.
CEO said it best, "if you are here to make money the you are at the wrong place."

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees an incentive to work hard rather than constantly look for another job. Drop the European mentality in the US market. Employees would rather get paid more than get a couple of free beers once a month.

Horrible Place to Work At

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Booking.com full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Location (downtown in the loop)
Convenient Hours (9-5)
Paid days off that most companies don't offer (Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day)
Some of the people are very nice
Decent health insurance

ConsThe compensation here is terrible and the pay is very low. They set the bonus goal so high, that hardly anyone in the company achieves it. Management encourages you to ask questions, but when you do, they yell at you and tell you to figure it out on your own. They can't even explain to you how the bonus structure works. They spend ridiculous amount of money on lavish, fancy parties to keep their clients happy. Most of the clients are angry because customer service provides them with such poor service. The workers around you are constantly chatting about their personal life and things you should not bring into work, which makes it very difficult for you to concentrate on your work. Brown nosing and kissing up here will get you much further than actually being good at your job. If this is your type of company, you would be a good fit. Otherwise, there are much better companies out there that will appreciate your hard work and effort. This office also has a very high turnover rate, which should tell you all you need to know.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being micro-managers
Offer employees a corporate credit card, so they are not having to dish out hundreds of their own dollars when traveling, and then waiting weeks to get reimbursed
Be more professional when communicating what you would like done
Explain bonus structure

well what can I say

RAM (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Booking.com full-time for less than a year

ProsNot much. It's a job. How much longer will we need OTA marketing with Google on the rise? Its a job for now and I do not think I can say much more.
The company does not discriminate against persons with disabilities, so that would be a "Pro" right? :)
The company makes great efforts (keyword efforts) to initiate team drinking...I mean... building no I meant drinking :(
Great job for gossipy ex-starwood, recent college grads. :)

ConsNever seen so much catty behavior.
Low Pay.
Everyone is so afraid.
No growth....I mean where can you really go in the company...wait 5 years...and throw your friends under the bus.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan you define Karma... It is the company culture.

Satisfactory entry-level job in editing

Content Editor (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Booking.com full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat work environment and morale, good company standards, lots of travel and relocation opportunities, fun team atmosphere

ConsNot a large variety of work to do, work was slow at the beginning of the quarter, pay could have been higher

Great company to work for and wake up to.

Intern (Former Employee)
Miami, FL

I worked at Booking.com part-time for less than a year

ProsManagement helps associates achieve. yay

ConsHours can be long, but ends up rewarding

Great Company

Customer Care (Former Employee)
Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Booking.com full-time for more than a year

ProsEasy to move up. Started as a bilingual CCE and within a year I was promoted to Sales Coordinator. Great Benefits and discounts on travel.

ConsHigher positions have to move out of state for and pay is okay but could be better.

Lies will get you everywhere

Account Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Booking.com full-time for more than a year

ProsEmployment
partnered with priceline
network within the industry

Cons-employees are promoted not based on merit or experience but for an unknown hidden reason, which leaves much to ones imagination.
-you have to dumb down your resume and work experience if you want to get hired. this is not an experienced team of management, and are easily threatened.
-their minority hiring is as much as eeo tells them too..meaning the numbers are exact. very clever and not so clever.
-trainers have no experience.
-supervisors are extremely dodgy. some are managing teams and have NEVER supervised people before.
-if you leave the company they management will collectively try to destroy your professional reputation.
while at this company I have seen supervisors befriend employees, visit the employees sick parents at their hospital bedside, then collaborate with management to push the employee out of the company. needless to say this individual was promoted, so if you like this sort of culture then this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have none. this type of behavior within a company is usually carried to the extreme until a few lawsuits give them a wake up call.

Awesome Job!!!!!

Acquisitions Account Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Booking.com full-time for less than a year

ProsBenefits are fantastic!!!!!
Work environment is laid back.
Salary is Awesome for the responsibilities.
Best sales job in the world.
IATA Card
Not a sales based company so quotas are big but they are flexible.
Management is flexible and understanding.
Many team based activities.
If you are not in the industry they will still give you an opportunity.
Chicago downtown location.
Good commuter benefits and sales support materials.
The travel makes it not boring. No burn out possibilities because of the amount of travel.
Many employee based activities and they are focused on team building.

ConsSo far none...

I havent been doing this for a long time but I'm super happy.

Ohh.... Running out of hotels to acquire LOL It's a CON I can deal with because of the benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone I feel they are doing a great job.

Company is on a path to failure, don't waste your time working here

Account Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Booking.com full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is absolutely no Pros working for this company. The only pros working for this company is to get experience and go work for another OTA (Online Travel Agent). I did make some good friends and those

ConsWhere to begin....

Absolutely horrible compensitation
Nothing but micro managers in charge
No loyalty
Unrealistic Goals
Horrible customer service
Poor bonus structure (1-2k per quarter)
you will get an email every quarter letting you know the company broke another profit record and you will be rewarded with nothing or 60% of your bonus (which equates to less then 1k after taxes)
I made the company over 10 Million in commission last year, and got my full bonus once
Management will betray your trust in a heart beat
If you have an opinion or like to speak your mind then you will definitely get written up and try to muscle you out of the company

I can go on and on but my only advice to you if you are looking to work here is that you shouldnt. I have worked at previous corporations but let me tell you that this one in perticular has a very toxic environment. Management has no idea what they are doing and are constantly micro managing. This job is meant for very simple minded people who are not looking for growth. Do not trust management as they will betray you the second they get a chance. Obviously you can see this by all the other negative reviews written about the company. If you do end up working here then I would suggest you learn the indusrty as best you can and leave to another company that actually pays well and takes care of their employees just as I did. They continously promote the wrong people and it causes a ripple affect as none of these people have ever managed anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour company is on a path to failure, both clients and employees recognize this and although you think you control the market now, your lack of respect will result in your decline, I assure you! Learn to have respect for people and stop micro managing everyone. you set unrealistic goals and I assure you more and more people will be leaving your company.

Got to meet great co workers but regional and office management bad.

Acquisition Account Manager (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Booking.com full-time for less than a year

ProsM__F 9to5
Great co workers
Parking garage
Looks good on resume
Good job till something better comes along
Get one months pay when let go:)

ConsManagement. If hired hope you get RIGHT senior
Communication is bad
Cold calling to people who don't even know what Booking.com is
Green people in las Vegas and San fran locations
Unrealistic qt goals with week 1k bonus
Most employees that are higher up only hire friends
Unprofessional senior management in las Vegas office
Have to wait one year to become promoted which is nearly impossible because you would have to move out of country or 3k plus miles
Dutch Company
West coast management

Advice to Senior ManagementI have nothing against the company but I want people to know I was let go because they said "I wasn't a good fit for company" but really there was one member of senior management that didn't like me. Best advice is take job but don't trust employees and management around you. Only do your work and go home. But update on me I now work for zappos. Karma is a &$#@$. Once priceline finds out that they don't need Booking.com there done in usa.

Worked for Booking.com? Contribute to the Community!

Booking.com Videos

Booking.com – Why Work for Us?

Booking.com B.V., part of Priceline.com (Nasdaq: PCLN), owns and operates Booking.com™. Booking.com was established in 1996 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands and has grown into the world’s leading online hotel and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Booking.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Booking.com CEO Darren Huston. All 168 reviews posted anonymously by Booking.com employees.