Booking.com

Updated February 26, 2015
3.1

Booking.com CEO Darren Huston
Darren Huston

Pros
  • For me, the work environment is what beats all the other companies out there (in 24 reviews)

• Free travel, market visits, company holiday party in Amsterdam, a free lunch once a month (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • senior management could improve in their agility, low salary (in 12 reviews)

• Account managers: absolutely NO work life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great teams

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Booking.com

Pros

Great development opportunities that may lead to promotion. Strong regional leadership who walk the talk. Increased effort toward work-life balance.

Cons

Due to constant growth, there is plenty of change. The work always exceeds your available time, so personal time management efforts are needed.

Keep communicating.

Wonderful Experience. Would do it all again.

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Booking.com full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for career advancement, travel and networking. Start-up culture creates a relaxed and fun environment. Most all of your coworkers will end up being your close friends. If you are interested in relocating to virtually anywhere in the globe then this is the place to be. Compensation is adequate and ensures a quality lifestyle. Although a majority of the Hospitality industry is a 24/7 mentality, work/life balance is healthy. Annual event in Amsterdam is a terrific networking opportunity and also a crazy fun time.

Cons

Young company experiencing growing pains in various aspects of the business. This is a first 'office job' for many people in this company. The business acumen of some employees is a product of this.

There are a lot of very talented people in this company and retaining this talent is vital to the company's continued success. Learn to demonstrate more leadership qualities as opposed to management qualities. Departments should find ways to work more closely.

Clearly stated values and great alignment

Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Booking.com

Pros

This is an outstanding organization and the best company/position I have ever had. I, along with so many others here, appreciate the work environment, the relationships with peers, the collaboration and openness, the clear objectives and measurable outcomes. This is truly a wonderful place to be!

Cons

Be ready to work, contribute, be proactive and serve our customers if you want to be successful here. We lay it out on the table, the expectations and the balance between employee satisfaction and serving our customers. If you are not ready to give and receive feedback, this is probably not the right environment for you. We are all part of the team and contribute equally to our amazing success and growth.

Keep listening, keep pushing, stay focused on the values and the formula but always look to the next challenge so that we can take it on with passion and excitement.

Great Culture, Poor Compensation

Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Engaging, fun company culture with occasional opportunities for travel.

Cons

Incredibly difficult to advance, shamefully low salary (especially compared to the rest of the industry), bonus targets are often unobtainable.

Increase salaries to reflect cost of living in order to retain strong, experienced employees.

Account Manager Experience

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Booking.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Trip to Amsterdam yearly

Cons

- Unrealistic goals set remotely in Amsterdam
    - Short lunches
    - Limited room for growth locally since most growth positions are at the headquarters in Amsterdam

- Keep making the most out of your hands being tied.
    - Don't project your stress on your team.

Great company culture and work-life balance

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture and work life balance. Love the people I work with and love the job itself. The company offers incredible development training's and travel to other offices worldwide. Encouragement of best practice sharing and open environment. Opportunity for career advancement if you are willing to move.

Cons

compensation and benefits- pay is lower than most online travel companies. They are growing so quickly, they are opening offices all over the world and not trying to retain top talent and people who have been with the company since it started. They do not offer travel perks unless you consider, you have to pay for your perk and then they reimburse you only 100 euro. If you have a family and are not single or willing to travel, advancement will be difficult. They expect 50% travel and regimented scheduling for account managers globally. They roll out procedures without testing them. I used to love this company so much but it has changed since it started in Amsterdam.

Hire managers that care about their teams and not sure the formula of the company.Be transparent and work on employee retention. Continue to offer training and development for all leadership as well. This has died down in the past 2 years. Look at benefits for all employees, especially the one's that might want to start a family soon and not travel as much.

Beware of management

Former Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You work with awesome people and have complete flexibility with your job. One of the top benefits is the ability to travel to Amsterdam 1-2/year.

Cons

Management literally has no clue how to manage people. Your direct manager is great as they at least understand your role but the area and regional manager have unrealistic expectations. Driven by numbers only, which to a certain extent is important, but hotel partners are starting to notice.

Show emotion and understand the people you work with. It's not so black/white and not ALWAYS about the numbers. The hotel partners use to like the partnership because of Bookings flexibility but now I have heard that Booking and E are flipping positions in the market. REMEMBER, you want the best relationships in the market, act like it.

“Booking.com more like Booking.bombed! ”

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Well if you consider clueless , lying deceitful gossiping management a pro. you will fit right in!

Cons

Firstly if you are a person that values your work, does a good job, is responsible, is goal and career oriented, don't count on being promoted or have room to grow.

At Booking.com promotions are only given to:
    Family members, lots of nepotism and favoritism going on there
    If you happen to belong to same ethnicity senior management
    If you are the ultimate brown noser who goes out for drinks after work and get plastered with your seniors
    If you are invited to Sunday family parties
    If you enjoy gossiping like an immature teenager and putting people down on a regular basis

Then.... no matter how little experience you have, how absolutely incompetent you are and how little you value your work, Congratulations!! You will be promoted

The pay much lower then the industry standards. In your interview you will be informed about the possibility of earning a bonus . They don't tell you that the structure and outline for the bonus changes like upper management change their underwear! Making it impossible to achieve and if are lucky enough to get a bonus the money you earn will barely be enough to cover a tank of gas!. Hard work is expected but not rewarded

Forget about having any support from HR, they are located in an office far far way (seeing nothing that is going on in the local offices) HR will turn a blind eye toward any unfair mistreatment of employees. Equal Opportunity Employer, Booking .com?? that couldn't be further from the truth. You will not be supported what so ever if your management and their family members don't like you, they will bully you and treat you like you have a contagious disease.

They have no shame in gossiping and talking about you right in your face. Making the work environment extremely uncomfortable and impossible to get anything done

They throw you out to lions giving you this spiel about nourishing and maintaining partner relationships. Not true your partners will be lucky if they see or talk to their account manger a few times a year. With their lovely new DXI phone system, partners have no direct way of calling their market manager and there is no possibility of leaving a voice mail. Partners call and get some random person that answers the phone and in a few inexperienced words, that employee can ruin all the hard work and time their manager has put in to that account

To Booking.com it all about pleasing their stockholders. It's just a numbers game quantity vs quality. Factory work

Get a clue! In just one office 7 of your best and brightest top sales people all leave all within 30 days. I call that a mass exodus. You need do a detoxifying cleanse of current management getting rid of you dead weight cause if you don't you are destine to sink!

And to the BS recruiter that wrote this reply in regards to this review

"Booking.com Response

Dec 5, 2014 – Recruiting Manager, Americas

First, thanks for taking the time to write. There are always things we can learn from feedback in an attempt to improve.

Second, there are things here that are really just inaccurate. However , it's always disappointing when we have a poor employee/employer fit which is clear in this case. We work hard to accurately talk about who we are in the interview so that we can better select those that will excel with us"

TAKE A LOOK AT 90% OF THE REVIEWS, ALMOST ALL REFER TO THE SAME THINGS . NO INACCURACY HERE ONLY TRUTH, ONCE YOU STOP DRINKING THE KOOL ADIE YOU WILL SEE IT!

A++++ Company.

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Personal growth will take you far.

Cons

Transparency of senior management could be better.

Focus on your close competitors, and keep developing the product.

Booking still stinks

I worked at Booking.com (less than a year)

Pros

After a year still nothing good to say.

Cons

I'm glad to see after several months of not visiting the Glassdoor reviews, nothing has changed within this company and again proves to me and many people around the world that this company is nothing more than a shell and inside lives chaos and unruly, bratty child behavior. The behavior is not just from management but also from the sales teams and the administrative side. Mindless admin calls, bright ideas from everyone but one person seems to have all the perfect ideas, if you are not kissing the senior admin's butt, you're not worthy of being on the worthless team. Believe me if you are applying for the admin job, think twice. It's not what they make it out to be. You are over worked and underpaid and no matter how much of it you do it will just never be enough. There is nothing sacred about the human being that work there and their families. It's al about who's willing to play along with their nonsense. Everyone who has left this place has experience a sense of freedom and most importantly a sense of self. When you exude confidence no on there likes that. They want you to feel helpless so they can save you but they can't even save themselves.

This place is worse than high school or even the lowest tier of colleges. If any of these managers have any type of college education there would be some kind of maturity coupled with that education. The place is like a dysfunctional romper room with children crying at every corner about having their juice spilled or the milk is frozen. Lets face it, what was probably a good thing in the beginning, isn't now. It takes a strong and unique commitment to have longevity within a company. That commitment comes from the people that understand the goal of the consumer and well as their customer. Any manager that understands that would not be working at Booking.com - they would find that in a company that is worthy with a good reputation with the people and the company overall. I would safely say they had a great run but now there are other companies ready to take the travel reigns to do right by the consumers and clients. I'm sure even after reading this, they will sit down and re-evaluate their goals and options. Right now it's too late. The opening of offices all around the world has made it a bigger mess. Sooner or later someone will realize that it's not working anymore and hopefully the people working there will find an escape so their families won't be affected by irresponsible behavior. When you work for a company and you are a manager you are not only responsible for the wealth of the company but also the employees that work there. You can't do that if you're immature.