Booking.com

Updated January 16, 2015
3.1

Booking.com CEO Darren Huston
Darren Huston

Pros
  • For me, the work environment is what beats all the other companies out there (in 24 reviews)

• Free travel, market visits, company holiday party in Amsterdam, a free lunch once a month (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • senior management could improve in their agility, low salary (in 12 reviews)

• Account managers: absolutely NO work life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company culture and work-life balance

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture and work life balance. Love the people I work with and love the job itself. The company offers incredible development training's and travel to other offices worldwide. Encouragement of best practice sharing and open environment. Opportunity for career advancement if you are willing to move.

Cons

compensation and benefits- pay is lower than most online travel companies. They are growing so quickly, they are opening offices all over the world and not trying to retain top talent and people who have been with the company since it started. They do not offer travel perks unless you consider, you have to pay for your perk and then they reimburse you only 100 euro. If you have a family and are not single or willing to travel, advancement will be difficult. They expect 50% travel and regimented scheduling for account managers globally. They roll out procedures without testing them. I used to love this company so much but it has changed since it started in Amsterdam.

Hire managers that care about their teams and not sure the formula of the company.Be transparent and work on employee retention. Continue to offer training and development for all leadership as well. This has died down in the past 2 years. Look at benefits for all employees, especially the one's that might want to start a family soon and not travel as much.

A++++ Company.

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Personal growth will take you far.

Cons

Transparency of senior management could be better.

Focus on your close competitors, and keep developing the product.

Account Managers- eggs about to crack!

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As an Account Manager, the job itself isn't exactly mind bending or overly complicated (technically speaking). Working with some great hotel partners, networking and gaining real industry knowledge is great.

Friendly co-workers, sense of team work amongst those of same job title, fun office activities, catered lunch, good benefits (but pay is below industry standard), and annual trip to Amsterdam.

Cons

In the U.S. there is a new structure in place where Account Managers have to be out of the office every other week with every Friday as an in office day to have all day long meetings. So, what does that mean? I'm already in this constant state of being stressed out from having to schedule 20 meetings with clients in a week (M-TH), have team meeting and office meetings on Friday, having to follow up from those client meetings, while then having to start all over and schedule meetings again for the next week out. Then, throw in the added work of doing pricing all day long when you are in the office (and being told that you can't do anything else, even though you still have responsibility to partners to fix their escalated customer service issues, and respond to any other inquiries they may send you). All in the meanwhile, targets and focus seem to change from week to week, or even from day to day! Senior Account Managers offer little to no support and are being told from upper management to micro-manage the heck out of us. EVERYTHING IS TRACKED now, and even though they keep saying "oh, we are not tracking you" THEY ARE and they just won't admit it. There are invisible quotas. I still haven't figured out why. I think upper management now has this general distrust of the AM team, when I know full well all of us (at least in my office) are sharp and very skilled at what we do and we all have good relationships with our partners.

Back to the travel schedule - trying to prepare, schedule and meet 5 partner visits a day, 4 days a week is just draining. By Wednesday I am so tired from talking to people, thinking about what I am going to say to them, showing them the reports, and then actioning and doing follow up that I just want to fall into a blackhole and disappear. It's exhausting and I don't know how long I will last like this. I really really hate this.

Last, the bonus and how things are calculated - I think they must be consulting with the government's education department because it's like common core math for business. Here's an idea: give us individual targets based in reality and then we won't be left to guess where we stand in reaching whatever % of our salary to be paid as bonus.

In summary, the AM team is underpaid, overstressed, and demoralized to the fact that we are being micro-managed to the point of mistrust, when there is no reason to mistrust. It is very sad, because when I first started a couple years ago it was not like this. I like my office, my co-workers, the benefits and my hotel partners.

This egg might crack soon.

Put us on individual targets with simplified bonus structure, allow for flexibility in market visit travel schedule (ie: doesn't mater when you go as long as you get it done), maybe forego the annual trip to Amsterdam and instead pay us our market worth (didn't we make over a Billion dollars this year?) Senior account managers need to stop micro-managing and start being leaders with emphasis on development.

Ok but not very stimulating

I have been working at Booking.com

Pros

People. Annual party for employees.

Cons

Low pay. Unmotivating, repetitive work unless you're in the headquarters. Feels like most people (in local offices at least) are overqualified for the work they're actually doing. A lot of stress and hurry, little compensation for it.

Raise the salaries. Provide opportunities for more creative and/or intellectually stimulating work in local offices (not everyone wants to move to Amsterdam to feel fulfilled in their work).

Global Company

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You're rewarding for working hard

Cons

No major cons, poor performance is sometimes not managed.

Attendance policy is not fare enough

Former Employee - Customer Service Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Executive in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company, values your knowledge and you an grow with this company. Friendly atmosphere.

Cons

unfortunately they are ready to fire you anytime which is strange. Their attendance policy is not good! Even though you are late from break or lunch for 1 min it gives you point! I came actually on time, logged in ADP on time and started to work BUT forgot to put myself in ready status which caused me a point. I don't think so that is FARE! Now I have 3 points and got my 1st warning which makes me sad! It was 1 min. come on! Now for 3 months I should NOT miss any days in order to clear up 3 points, which means I can't be sick, I can't go appointments which makes me so stressful !!

Compliance policy should be reviewed! For no reason we are getting points and then loosing a job even though if you are on top what you are doing , because of 1 min loosing a job is redicilous!

Fast trigger

Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Booking.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Booking.com has deep pockets and doesn't mind spending if they can get a return

Cons

Their training is inadequate and they do not give you any time to develop into the role. Some offices are too small with no recourse when friction with management is evident. Management has a Dutch/German work ethic, which is 100% grind from the time you enter the office, yet you have to stay late and/or travel much to get ahead (with lack of compensation for additional time travelling). Pick a model and stick to it.

Invest in your new employees, give them time to develop rather than tossing them aside for someone new, and be more flexible when an employee travels.

CSE forever

Current Employee - Customer Service Executive
    Current Employee - Customer Service Executive

I have been working at Booking.com

Pros

Full 40 hours a week with a decent opportunity for overtime in peak season, tons of training, clean office environment.

Cons

Management, lack of opportunity for advancement as favoritism is a big issue in this particular office, ever changing procedures with no update.

Stop promoting people who have no idea what they're getting themselves into; it's extremely helpful when management is qualified.

Wish I loved it but.....no.

Former Employee - Coordinator
    Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at Booking.com (more than an year)

Pros

- The end of the year party in Amsterdam for everyone in the company.
    - The company is growing and there is no end in sight. The CEO is very smart and is setting up some interesting things for the industry.

Cons

- The job you are hired for is not the job you will end up doing and the company fails to train you adequately for the transition.
    - Goals and Targets change radically from quarter to quarter so there is no way to adequately know if you will be getting your bonus that quarter.
    - Upper management is super cliquey and people advance based on who they are friends with, not on the merits of their skills.
    - Booking has frozen most of their hiring and is forcing their employees to move to their new offices across the country. They sell this as an opportunity and offer a "generous" relocation package but this has become the only way to advance in the company. Managers constantly imply that you are selfish if you want to stay within your own office and grow your career there. Additionally realize that people are willing to move if you provide good opportunities for them, not just the same job in some nowhere town.
    - Pay is low for the stress of the job.
    - Booking is moving to micromanaging your day by monitoring every phone call you make every day. I didn't get into this business to be measured on my sales volume. I got in it to serve the hotels and make sure they are making a good profit off of us (and us them).
    - HR doesn't care about the garbage or harassment that their managers do or say to their employees.

- Understand that not everyone wants to take the same path with their careers and if you have people who are willing to expand their impact they will have on their company, reward them with the title and the extra pay, not force them to do the job to "prove themselves" with the extra work on taking on a new role besides their own, and then hire someone else to do the job that they were working to move into.

Booking.com Response

Dec 5, 2014Recruiting Manager, Americas

Yes, this is a changing environment as we try hard to manage our growth. A lot of thought is put into trying to minimize the impact on employees, but we need to get better. Thanks for taking the ... More

Booking.Yeah!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Booking.com is an employer with a clear commitment to their values, formula and recipe for success. The company stays true to its character and commitment to both customer and partner excellence. While not perfect, the commitment to experimentation then constant reinvention to get better is apparent in many areas. Growth enables opportunity for professional advancement and investments in both infrastructure like great offices, tools and resources. Colleagues are diverse, bright, collaborative and focused. After nearly a year here, I've found my professional home.

Cons

Pace if fast, partly due to growth and partly due to propensity for action and decisiveness. Keeping pace is challenging and for me energizing but for some may be too much.

Continue investments such as acquisition of complimentary services, brands and features of our site. Maintain commitment to service excellence for customers booking on our site and to the best relationships with partners in the business.

Booking.com Response

Dec 5, 2014Recruiting Manager, Americas

Thanks for your comment. While overall positive, we're still reading advice and suggestions in an effort to improve.