Booking.com

Updated September 30, 2014
3.2

Booking.com CEO Darren Huston
Darren Huston

Pros
  • Work colleagues are great and meeting people from all over the globe (in 13 reviews)

• Free travel, market visits, company holiday party in Amsterdam, a free lunch once a month (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor Management low salary poor work ethics (in 10 reviews)

• the salary isn't worth for the amount of work you have or the stress you will be put on (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Booking.com loves there employees

Current Employee - Customer Service Executive  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Booking.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

I absolutely love the the company and wish there was a call center in Vegas

Cons

no cons at all company was grreeaattt!

Please continue to love on your employees- Couture

Stop Wasting Time and Leave This Joke of a Company

I worked at Booking.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When I first started it was a great company. However, that has completely gone out the window. The only Pro's are that you can wear jeans and Priceline looks great on your resume, that's it. You also get to go to Amsterdam for the year end party but after one visit and their attempt to brainwash you, you will leave disgusted.

Cons

Here is an in depth list of cons because everybody should know just how terrible this place is to work.
    - salary is $15-20k less than direct competitors and they know this but simply do not care. They will tell you that fresh fruit and coffee are part of your salary. In the US we actually work for money but it's a Dutch company so it is what it is.
    -culture is "Booking blue" which means be extremely fake. They try to paint a picture like everything is going great and people are happy but I bet close to 60% of US employees are looking elsewhere for employment.
    - Amsterdam- the most arrogant bunch of people in leadership positions. Sorry but I can't take you seriously in your ripped jeans and t-shirt. Stop acting like your curing cancer because your just underpaid slaves like the rest of us. Their motto is "workhorses not show ponies" . It was a chore not to be combative with this egotistical idiots.
    Why would I be a show pony? You don't pay people regardless Lol
    - senior management- I can't respect you because all you do is take orders from Amsterdam. You know you cannot manage either so stop kidding yourself.
    -personal development- they don't offer much but there is no point to develop yourself there. For what, a $5k raise and triple the workload? Take everything you learn and jump ship! They like to hire externally for those kind of positions, or bring someone from Amsterdam who you will just love!

Have a backbone and challenge these things being implemented from Amsterdam. Stop being such pacifists! What's the worst that could happen lose your job? There's plenty of jobs out there where you can actually make money! My advice to everyone is stop being comfortable and look elsewhere and in the meantime revolt against these tools!

Great company to work for. Great benefits.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Booking.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule. Travel reimbursement. Great laid back work environment

Cons

No stock-options. Micromanagement creeps in every once in awhile

Increase salaries to stay competitive with the competition

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dysfunctional to No End with all Top Talent Leaving

I worked at Booking.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Holiday party and year end gift
    Colleagues are fun to hang out with and go to happy hours
    Casual dress code
    See new places across country/world

Cons

While the highlights sound great-- an outsider may even be left scratching their head and thinking how can anyone not want to work here? Well my friend, sign the dotted line and in six months you too can see how chaotic and unorganized things are. As you update your LinkedIn and come up with a clever excuse as to why you need a new job after only 6 months you can reflect as to how much that dress code and holiday party mean to you and your personal sanity.

In a nutshell: it's like backwards innovation and tooling, mediocre leadership stretched too thin, and poor compensation that make it intolerable to stay here longer than a few years. Combine this with a call center approach to a corporate office and its Booking.com's recipe for an employee retention disaster. There is no one on one account management support any longer as promised to partners. The foundational elements and values are changing after ten years. Explain that to your several hundred thousands of partners. There is a new phone system that chooses the poor sucker who is in available status and mandates they answer calls related to another slackers market who is not available. Yet this person is available and sits at their desk and streams the latest sports event or Nicki Minaj music video. Completely serious. A corporate office of account management for the worlds largest travel site with no voice mail for their clients to reach out to. This results in mediocre service across the board, sticky notes on desks, and just general discontent among employees.

Internal promotions are a joke when it comes to compensation. It's a 10% increase. If you want to strain yourself you might get 11% and a free migraine! Wahoo! Relocation- no problem best of luck if you can afford it after the one year supplemental package has wore off.

In a nut shell. Apply to the competition if you want to work for a travel site. Work hard, get paid hard. Or you can come here and just work hard. Nothing else.

If the CEO is reading this please consider signing up for undercover boss and spend a few days in the hotel teams shoes. I have no advice to any of the USA regional managers or higher as most are imported and depict all flowers and rainbows to the headquarters office. Look at employee retention rates, look at your pay against the competition which is aggressively headhunting your top talent with 25% higher salaries, and hire an outside firm to optimize the flow of workload among roles. It clearly cannot be done internally.

Top Talents Quits

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Booking.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free travel, market visits, company holiday party in Amsterdam, a free lunch once a month.

Cons

Low salary, No commission, capped bonus (limited to $2k per quarter even if individual OVERACHIEVES individual goal), quarterly payout of bonuses (4 months is a long time to wait for a small bonus check), tied to your desk due to DXI phone system with non-stop inbound calls, more projects and work load, customer service calls, limited PTO where vacation and sick time is combined and comes from the same PTO bucket, competitive office environment with a small team, office cliques, unfair time management.

1. Reconsider how much your account managers "need" to travel for trainings in Amsterdam, and instead increase their salaries and bonuses, conduct trainings locally.
    2. Treat all employees and team members equally, do not show favoritism.
    3. Eliminate team vs team goals and have everyone work together toward one office goal. Why turn 6 people against each other?! Save team vs team goals when you've grown your teams to at least 12 reps for each team respectively.

Booking.cult

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Booking.com

Pros

Not one. Not one. Not one. Not one.

Cons

Terrible pay.
    Fake people.
    People that gossip and they call it a managers meeting.
    Ingrates.
    A glorified factory. Instead of sewing machines it's a computer and phone.
    All the positive reviews are fake.
    Not enough napkins to go around so that people can wipe their mouths from brown nosing.
    People that don't have a change of clothes.

Buying up companies doesn't make you look better to your competitors. It only brings you more problems having to juggle a bunch of companies at the same time.
    Managers titles are earned not bought
    Company has zero structure.
    One day it goes like this and the next day it goes like that.
    And then call it fast pace and change.
    That's because you have youngsters running around playing in the sand building sand castles that end up crashing down with an ice bucket challenge.
    So I say to management stay in your sand house and let's see how far that gets you. While you think you're better than your competitor I'm sure they are having good times reading every negative comment on here.

Bad

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Booking.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Travel Christmas party meet new friends

Cons

Poor Management low salary poor work ethics

Learn how to

Fun

Current Employee - Coordinator Hotels  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Coordinator Hotels in New York, NY

I have been working at Booking.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

I like the solidarity found in each booking.com member. There is enthusiasm and constant support.

Cons

It is a non-stop, fast growing company. Adapting to this environment can be challenging. Although, adapting allows you to grow along.

Tons of Promises - Zero Delivery

Current Employee - Customer Service Executive  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Booking.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

-free annual trips to Amsterdam
    -networking with people from all over the globe
    -good and valuable trainings
    -good health benefits

Cons

-extremely low pay for the huge work load
    -constant changes, new procedures and ridiculous expectations almost daily
    -horrible, immature management
    -promises unfulfilled/misleading
    -practically no room for growth
    -micro managing from people who can't manage their own lives
    -jealousy and favortism
    -promotions only offered to the incompetent brown nosers

-Quit micromanaging and changing everything on a daily basis.
    -Quit promoting people with zero management skills and experience solely because they are a friend, family, friend of a friend, etc.
    -Quit making empty promises if you will never deliver, leading people to waste their lives stressing out over a job within a huge company but never getting anywhere.
    -Provide more incentives and opportunities!! A measly $0.30 yearly raise does not cut it if the work load increases by a good 30%!!...and neither does the 'free food' which is unnecessary for obvious reasons.
    -Better yet, just QUIT and give other competent people the opportunity to turn things around.

I took the job for free travel, that took me around the country and to Europe!!!

Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Booking.com for more than a year

Pros

If you love traveling you can put-up with this job for a while. Get hired before mid-july so you meet the cutoff date to go to the christmas party in Amsterdam... and then quite after you get back!

Depending on which office you are in, you work with some great people!

Cons

Every post on here about poor management is 110% accurate! I saw the extremely negative posts prior to accepting the position and thought to myself, they were just young, mad, unmotivated employees that probably got fired. You see, I was not a "fresh out of college" type of employee. I had thought I would be able to work with them and do well. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have got my hopes up, they are/were the worst managers I have every worked with/for. And to be fair, they were put in those positions unprepared and under supported. So I might go as far as saying they were good people, just horrible horrible horrible managers. And I didn't get fired. I left and returned to my old industry and am making double.

The list of Cons go On and On.... I agree with most of the previous posts, so go back, and read. And please note that if there is a post that rates this company over 2 stars, you can disregard as it is probably middle management trying to better the ranking. I do know that its not upper management because I saw how they responded to their employee engagement survey: by doing nothing...........

I don't really have any advice for upper management. They created this mess... they are just going to continue to make millions while they crap on the people actually doing the work.

Worked for Booking.com? Contribute to the Community!