Booking.com

Updated December 16, 2014
3.1

Booking.com CEO Darren Huston
Darren Huston

Pros
  • For me, the work environment is what beats all the other companies out there (in 24 reviews)

• Free travel, market visits, company holiday party in Amsterdam, a free lunch once a month (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • senior management could improve in their agility, low salary (in 12 reviews)

• Account managers: absolutely NO work life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Global Company

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You're rewarding for working hard

Cons

No major cons, poor performance is sometimes not managed.

Booking.Yeah!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Booking.com is an employer with a clear commitment to their values, formula and recipe for success. The company stays true to its character and commitment to both customer and partner excellence. While not perfect, the commitment to experimentation then constant reinvention to get better is apparent in many areas. Growth enables opportunity for professional advancement and investments in both infrastructure like great offices, tools and resources. Colleagues are diverse, bright, collaborative and focused. After nearly a year here, I've found my professional home.

Cons

Pace if fast, partly due to growth and partly due to propensity for action and decisiveness. Keeping pace is challenging and for me energizing but for some may be too much.

Continue investments such as acquisition of complimentary services, brands and features of our site. Maintain commitment to service excellence for customers booking on our site and to the best relationships with partners in the business.

Dec 5, 2014Recruiting Manager, Americas

Thanks for your comment. While overall positive, we're still reading advice and suggestions in an effort to improve.

CSE forever

Current Employee - Customer Service Executive
    Current Employee - Customer Service Executive

I have been working at Booking.com

Pros

Full 40 hours a week with a decent opportunity for overtime in peak season, tons of training, clean office environment.

Cons

Management, lack of opportunity for advancement as favoritism is a big issue in this particular office, ever changing procedures with no update.

Stop promoting people who have no idea what they're getting themselves into; it's extremely helpful when management is qualified.

Wish I loved it but.....no.

Former Employee - Coordinator
    Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at Booking.com (more than an year)

Pros

- The end of the year party in Amsterdam for everyone in the company.
    - The company is growing and there is no end in sight. The CEO is very smart and is setting up some interesting things for the industry.

Cons

- The job you are hired for is not the job you will end up doing and the company fails to train you adequately for the transition.
    - Goals and Targets change radically from quarter to quarter so there is no way to adequately know if you will be getting your bonus that quarter.
    - Upper management is super cliquey and people advance based on who they are friends with, not on the merits of their skills.
    - Booking has frozen most of their hiring and is forcing their employees to move to their new offices across the country. They sell this as an opportunity and offer a "generous" relocation package but this has become the only way to advance in the company. Managers constantly imply that you are selfish if you want to stay within your own office and grow your career there. Additionally realize that people are willing to move if you provide good opportunities for them, not just the same job in some nowhere town.
    - Pay is low for the stress of the job.
    - Booking is moving to micromanaging your day by monitoring every phone call you make every day. I didn't get into this business to be measured on my sales volume. I got in it to serve the hotels and make sure they are making a good profit off of us (and us them).
    - HR doesn't care about the garbage or harassment that their managers do or say to their employees.

- Understand that not everyone wants to take the same path with their careers and if you have people who are willing to expand their impact they will have on their company, reward them with the title and the extra pay, not force them to do the job to "prove themselves" with the extra work on taking on a new role besides their own, and then hire someone else to do the job that they were working to move into.

Dec 5, 2014Recruiting Manager, Americas

Yes, this is a changing environment as we try hard to manage our growth. A lot of thought is put into trying to minimize the impact on employees, but we need to get better. Thanks for taking the ... More

Great place to advance and gain experience.

Current Employee - Quality Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Quality Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training, benefits, bonuses, job security and work environment.

Cons

Hours, expectations, management experience, below average compensation

There needs to be better communication and forethought to decisions being made that impact employees.

Dec 5, 2014Recruiting Manager, Americas

Appreciate your comments, thanks.

Cs representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Booking.com

Pros

Fab fridays. Pot lucks and diversity

Cons

Favoritism to move up.no room for advancement

Equal opportunity

Hotel Coordinator

Former Employee - Coordinator Hotels
    Former Employee - Coordinator Hotels

I worked at Booking.com full-time

Pros

The company is constantly growing plenty of opportunities.

Cons

Because of the size, employees can feel disconnected

Dec 5, 2014Recruiting Manager, Americas

Glad things were generally positive for you; staying connected to each of our employees is a critical effort.

Smoke and mirrors

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good healthcare benefits, flexibility, nice people, interesting business

Cons

Egos abound in this company. If it weren't so uncomfortable it would be amusing. It's all smoke and mirrors folks. If you drink the Kool-aid you'll be okay for a while, until you realize that what you are being told could not be further from the truth. You WON'T get promoted unless you are friends with the right people. You will NEVER earn as much as you would at another OTA. Keep your head down, your mouth shut and find another job ASAP.

It's nice to have free lunch once a month and bar hop on the company but what does that do for your quality of life?

Take a good look at your managers. Recognize that young people without experience will not intrinsically know how to lead others and do something about that. Instead of sending everyone to Amsterdam for BAM, take a look at your salary structure in comparison to your competitors and make an impact on your employee's lives in a positive way.

Dec 5, 2014Recruiting Manager, Americas

Management development is a key area of investment for the company as we work hard to try to manage our growth. Thanks for your comments which help us get stronger.

Entry level

Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed the the recently renovated facilities.

Cons

Did not enjoy the third shift or low pay.

Take into account employee experience

Thanks for writing !

Disappointing by the management of the company who treat employees like cattle's.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunities worldwide! They do in source a lot! Great Training! CEO and leaders are very approachable and always willing to talk to you when they see you.

The check is never late however they pay very little for the job you do.

Great health benefits to keep you in the round shape from seating on the chair all day.

You will get 5 BREAKS!! However in a 8 hour shift those are schedule 15 minutes to vent out 30 minutes lunch to grab something out of fridge(they don't have hot food but you can heat) another 15 minutes to get free hot coffee or chocolate to keep you awake and 10 minutes to use whenever in case you have to pee.

They do promote a lot of employees parties where in one of them they send agents to Amsterdam for a year end bash. They have started a lot of volunteer projects and others to show that they care. Some seniors and team leads are really good on patience and taking the time in helping when possible.

Offer you a lot of training and workshops.

Cons

The pay is very Dutch and across the line for a lot of different positions therefore milking the cow is standard when comes to pay.

Don't be late 1 minute from your lunch/break otherwise you may earn an occurrence for half a point and with 3-4 of those your on a PIP and almost out the door.

Supervisor positions are done by team leaders who sometimes are direct above the employee who's he's interviewing.

There is no time to assist the guest properly on the phone since the company strive for numbers that generate bonus and covers the service level. If you take too long helping the guest your number may drop and you must be doing something wrong so correct it or you may be fired.

Management like to save face and oversees the issues putting the responsibility back on who's providing the feedback. Projects are cool but they are not well develop due to little time spent. They need to have a person solemnly doing those. Some of the seniors are hunted for trying to be the leader that other managers lack.

Training and workshops are not follow up on it and there is not a lot of time to work on them.

They are constantly working on transparency but instead of hiring an experts they rely on the office management.

Review the rights and responsibilities of a team leaders and seniors. Some have too much rights and responsibilities that can be easily abused and can be mistaken for other departments like HR, IT or Finance.

Dec 5, 2014Recruiting Manager, Americas

Our customer service sites are really critical to our success. Yes, there are sometimes rigid policies in place because of the nature of the work. We try to account for the individual as much as ... More