Booking.com

Updated November 20, 2014
3.2

Booking.com CEO Darren Huston
Darren Huston

Pros
  • For me, the work environment is what beats all the other companies out there (in 21 reviews)

• Free travel, market visits, company holiday party in Amsterdam, a free lunch once a month (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Account managers: absolutely NO work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Poor Management low salary poor work ethics (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Hotel Coordinator

Former Employee - Coordinator Hotels
    Former Employee - Coordinator Hotels

I worked at Booking.com full-time

Pros

The company is constantly growing plenty of opportunities.

Cons

Because of the size, employees can feel disconnected

Great place to advance and gain experience.

Current Employee - Quality Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Quality Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training, benefits, bonuses, job security and work environment.

Cons

Hours, expectations, management experience, below average compensation

There needs to be better communication and forethought to decisions being made that impact employees.

Smoke and mirrors

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good healthcare benefits, flexibility, nice people, interesting business

Cons

Egos abound in this company. If it weren't so uncomfortable it would be amusing. It's all smoke and mirrors folks. If you drink the Kool-aid you'll be okay for a while, until you realize that what you are being told could not be further from the truth. You WON'T get promoted unless you are friends with the right people. You will NEVER earn as much as you would at another OTA. Keep your head down, your mouth shut and find another job ASAP.

It's nice to have free lunch once a month and bar hop on the company but what does that do for your quality of life?

Take a good look at your managers. Recognize that young people without experience will not intrinsically know how to lead others and do something about that. Instead of sending everyone to Amsterdam for BAM, take a look at your salary structure in comparison to your competitors and make an impact on your employee's lives in a positive way.

Entry level

Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed the the recently renovated facilities.

Cons

Did not enjoy the third shift or low pay.

Take into account employee experience

Disappointing by the management of the company who treat employees like cattle's.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunities worldwide! They do in source a lot! Great Training! CEO and leaders are very approachable and always willing to talk to you when they see you.

The check is never late however they pay very little for the job you do.

Great health benefits to keep you in the round shape from seating on the chair all day.

You will get 5 BREAKS!! However in a 8 hour shift those are schedule 15 minutes to vent out 30 minutes lunch to grab something out of fridge(they don't have hot food but you can heat) another 15 minutes to get free hot coffee or chocolate to keep you awake and 10 minutes to use whenever in case you have to pee.

They do promote a lot of employees parties where in one of them they send agents to Amsterdam for a year end bash. They have started a lot of volunteer projects and others to show that they care. Some seniors and team leads are really good on patience and taking the time in helping when possible.

Offer you a lot of training and workshops.

Cons

The pay is very Dutch and across the line for a lot of different positions therefore milking the cow is standard when comes to pay.

Don't be late 1 minute from your lunch/break otherwise you may earn an occurrence for half a point and with 3-4 of those your on a PIP and almost out the door.

Supervisor positions are done by team leaders who sometimes are direct above the employee who's he's interviewing.

There is no time to assist the guest properly on the phone since the company strive for numbers that generate bonus and covers the service level. If you take too long helping the guest your number may drop and you must be doing something wrong so correct it or you may be fired.

Management like to save face and oversees the issues putting the responsibility back on who's providing the feedback. Projects are cool but they are not well develop due to little time spent. They need to have a person solemnly doing those. Some of the seniors are hunted for trying to be the leader that other managers lack.

Training and workshops are not follow up on it and there is not a lot of time to work on them.

They are constantly working on transparency but instead of hiring an experts they rely on the office management.

Review the rights and responsibilities of a team leaders and seniors. Some have too much rights and responsibilities that can be easily abused and can be mistaken for other departments like HR, IT or Finance.

Interview Process - Washington State

I have been working at Booking.com

Pros

The administrative staff setting up the interview was very friendly. The first phone interviewer (internal HR Recruiter) was very transparent and honest about what the organization was doing (as far as he could be)

Cons

Despite the reviews that I have read about management, I felt that there was a major disconnect with what the job description said and what the hiring manager was actually looking for. Even though the management's time is valuable I would expect them to be more upfront if they could not accommodate a full interview for an management position. I was informed during the interview would only be 45 min instead of an hour. Also, the in person interview was way to informal (no flow) and the interviewer had no real purpose other than being casual about travel related to the job. It made me feel like they did not value the process.

Provide assistance to Directors to make sure that they have job descriptions that actually line up with what they are looking for. Ex: JD focused on soft skills and employee development and the Director was looking for a metrics driven individual and the entire interview was very casual. Too much on their plate and it seems that they don't know what they are looking for or what is REALLY needed. Hard to take the company serious with the employee reviews and the lack of congruence with the job description and what is really needed.

Booking.com more like Booking.bombed!

I worked at Booking.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well if you consider clueless , lying deceitful gossiping management a pro. you will fit right in!

Cons

Firstly if you are a person that values your work, does a good job, is responsible, is goal and career oriented, don't count on being promoted or have room to grow.

At Booking.com promotions are only given to:
    Family members, lots of nepotism and favoritism going on there
    If you happen to belong to same ethnicity senior management
    If you are the ultimate brown noser who goes out for drinks after work and get plastered with your seniors
    If you are invited to Sunday family parties
    If you enjoy gossiping like an immature teenager and putting people down on a regular basis

Then.... no matter how little experience you have, how absolutely incompetent you are and how little you value your work, Congratulations!! You will be promoted

The pay much lower then the industry standards. In your interview you will be informed about the possibility of earning a bonus . They don't tell you that the structure and outline for the bonus changes like upper management change their underwear! Making it impossible to achieve and if are lucky enough to get a bonus the money you earn will barely be enough to cover a tank of gas!. Hard work is expected but not rewarded

Forget about having any support from HR, they are located in an office far far way (seeing nothing that is going on in the local offices) HR will turn a blind eye toward any unfair mistreatment of employees. Equal Opportunity Employer, Booking .com?? that couldn't be further from the truth. You will not be supported what so ever if your management and their family members don't like you, they will bully you and treat you like you have a contagious disease.

They have no shame in gossiping and talking about you right in your face. Making the work environment extremely uncomfortable and impossible to get anything done

They throw you out to lions giving you this spiel about nourishing and maintaining partner relationships. Not true your partners will be lucky if they see or talk to their account manger a few times a year. With their lovely new DXI phone system, partners have no direct way of calling their market manager and there is no possibility of leaving a voice mail. Partners call and get some random person that answers the phone and in a few inexperienced words, that employee can ruin all the hard work and time their manager has put in to that account

To Booking.com it all about pleasing their stockholders. It's just a numbers game quantity vs quality. Factory work

Get a clue! In just one office 7 of your best and brightest top sales people all leave all within 30 days. I call that a mass exodus. You need do a detoxifying cleanse of current management getting rid of you dead weight cause if you don't you are destine to sink!

Booking.com loves there employees

Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I absolutely love the the company and wish there was a call center in Vegas

Cons

no cons at all company was grreeaattt!

Please continue to love on your employees- Couture

Do you like to say "bahhh" and also love Kool-aide?? Then this job is for you!

Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Direct colleagues, annual party in Amsterdam, networking, "regular hours" (until you get bad performance reviews for not following managers lead and working 60+ hours).

Cons

It's all been said here in other reviews...

-Under-qualified and sometimes incompetent direct managers (and in every US office at least there is a high level of blatant favoritism and clique-iness)

-Low pay, and in some markets not enough to pay your bills

-Low bonus structure that is not really motivational at all (and you will only get 1-2 bonuses out of 4 a year if you are lucky as they are constantly moving goal posts)

-Immaturity at all levels

-Upper management thinks you should be happy to have a job and does not think about your bottom line or how things affect your work (typical large corporate company: you are a number)

-That last point brings me to this one, the most annoying of all, the "culture." If you are easily brainwashed and/or are in need of a pseudo family of Kool-aide drinking coworkers to feel complete then by all means work here. However, if you have individual thought or god-forbid, actual creative thinking... stay far far away, this company will do its best to silence you and make you a drone making 60+ outbound calls a day.

-Glorified call center = "we are putting in this new phone system to measure metrics of inbound and outbound calls so we can better understand where our holes are, we are not using it for micromanagement" ... Not even one month later employees are questioned on a consistent basis about their call volume, and when the call volume is up they question why you have not completed your other tasks (shouldn't they have the numbers to see why? I was on the phone all week dealing with issues not related to my market!)

-So if you want to be put out to pasture as a cult loving sheep that doesn't think for one-self then apply for B.com... Don't get me wrong, for the right price a lot of people would happily wear the wool and drink that sugar drink... for the right price... but B.com will leave you in the poor house... I would rather use my brain and have a voice.

-All of that being said, I would still buy stock in this company because the CEO is smart, he makes business minded decisions at all levels and will continue to squeeze every last drop of milk out of this cow. Sometimes unfortunately that ends up being the good employees. You are a number.

Grow up.

Stop going to meetings where you learn about different personalities and how to lead effectively, then coming back to the office and only respecting the "sunshine blowing out of their rear" fake people (especially when they are typically lackluster when it comes to actual work)... but I guess that is typical corporate america: smile, nod, and pretend like you do something.

Last I checked you had to be a high school graduate to work in the hotels department, so go home, look at your fridge behind the finger paintings to see your HS diploma and realize this: you did graduate high school, stop acting like you are still there.

Stop Wasting Time and Leave This Joke of a Company

Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I first started it was a great company. However, that has completely gone out the window. The only Pro's are that you can wear jeans and Priceline looks great on your resume, that's it. You also get to go to Amsterdam for the year end party but after one visit and their attempt to brainwash you, you will leave disgusted.

Cons

Here is an in depth list of cons because everybody should know just how terrible this place is to work.
    - salary is $15-20k less than direct competitors and they know this but simply do not care. They will tell you that fresh fruit and coffee are part of your salary. In the US we actually work for money but it's a Dutch company so it is what it is.
    -culture is "Booking blue" which means be extremely fake. They try to paint a picture like everything is going great and people are happy but I bet close to 60% of US employees are looking elsewhere for employment.
    - Amsterdam- the most arrogant bunch of people in leadership positions. Sorry but I can't take you seriously in your ripped jeans and t-shirt. Stop acting like your curing cancer because your just underpaid slaves like the rest of us. Their motto is "workhorses not show ponies" . It was a chore not to be combative with this egotistical idiots.
    Why would I be a show pony? You don't pay people regardless Lol
    - senior management- I can't respect you because all you do is take orders from Amsterdam. You know you cannot manage either so stop kidding yourself.
    -personal development- they don't offer much but there is no point to develop yourself there. For what, a $5k raise and triple the workload? Take everything you learn and jump ship! They like to hire externally for those kind of positions, or bring someone from Amsterdam who you will just love!

Have a backbone and challenge these things being implemented from Amsterdam. Stop being such pacifists! What's the worst that could happen lose your job? There's plenty of jobs out there where you can actually make money! My advice to everyone is stop being comfortable and look elsewhere and in the meantime revolt against these tools!