Booking.com

Booking.com Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Booking.com CEO Darren Huston

Darren Huston

Pros:
  • "The head office provides an excellent work environment"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Opportunity to travel and to meet new people (external and internal)"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Company culture only extends so far as the Netherlands border"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Very low salary compensation and little help for employees that have to commute in public transportation from other cities"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Nice environment and competitive salary, little bureaucracy but also difficult to grow within the company.

Barcelona (Spain)

ProsThe office has very comfortable working environment and offers free lunch. The salary and bonus are competitive and reasonable. The management team shows humane kindness towards employees and tries to motivate them by different kinds of incentives and activities.

ConsIt's very tiring to work during high season due to high volume of phone calls and emails. The working shift is not fixed and not very pleasant. The team leaders have very strict and high target requirement. It's also difficult to get promoted within the company.

Conditions ok, but no progression possible

Barcelona (Spain)

ProsBenefits (lunch provided, discounts for hotels, freaky Fridays, events in Amsterdam

ConsFor the bonuses, very hard objectives

Working hours: 15h50-23:50, no extra pay for working in the week-end (twice a month) and after 20:00 (until 00:00)

30 mins for lunch only

Very bad management, and very few transparency, all important informations are hidden or secret, never seen a department manager around

Agents obliged to lie to hotels that do not bring money to the company, and tell them they have their own hotels department, when the phone line is just redirected to the customer service

Obliging hotels to use their system without any training and invoicing them for any issues incurred such as overbooking

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the team leader's background and references before hiring them, and ideally, hire them internally and not externally

Good atmosphere without a proper growth structure

Team Lead (Current Employee)

ProsGreat global atmosphere. a lot of fun with people from around the world. World leader and growth perspective

ConsNo real growth structure, lots of job opportunities but everything is based on political decisions and not on performance / capacity.
    No management analysis on candidates for other jobs. No clear feedback to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementBulding a great culture but limited to the growth of people by not choosing to create a growth program or training program at all levels. Training is offered but many times only based on what your supervisor thinks and not what you really need. No skill based analysis for new applications only interviews and no strong systematic way of knowing the real reason why you would not grow

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I took the job for free travel, that took me around the country and to Europe!!!

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsIf you love traveling you can put-up with this job for a while. Get hired before mid-july so you meet the cutoff date to go to the christmas party in Amsterdam... and then quite after you get back!

Depending on which office you are in, you work with some great people!

ConsEvery post on here about poor management is 110% accurate! I saw the extremely negative posts prior to accepting the position and thought to myself, they were just young, mad, unmotivated employees that probably got fired. You see, I was not a "fresh out of college" type of employee. I had thought I would be able to work with them and do well. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have got my hopes up, they are/were the worst managers I have every worked with/for. And to be fair, they were put in those positions unprepared and under supported. So I might go as far as saying they were good people, just horrible horrible horrible managers. And I didn't get fired. I left and returned to my old industry and am making double.

The list of Cons go On and On.... I agree with most of the previous posts, so go back, and read. And please note that if there is a post that rates this company over 2 stars, you can disregard as it is probably middle management trying to better the ranking. I do know that its not upper management because I saw how they responded to their employee engagement survey: by doing nothing...........

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't really have any advice for upper management. They created this mess... they are just going to continue to make millions while they crap on the people actually doing the work.

Among one of the better companies to work for

Customer Service Executive (Former Employee)
    Lille (France)

ProsWonderful place to work, multicultural environment and friendly management/people

ConsNone whatsoever, working there has been a really good experience for me and for my career development.

Flag Review
    Booking.com Recruiting Manager, Americas responded to this review Jul 8, 2014 EditDelete
    We appreciate your thoughts, thanks!

Not a Good Fit

ProsFood and travel and some of the people are nice. Other than that not really much else I can think of.

ConsWhere do I begin?
    Management is TERRIBLE!!!!. Too young and inexperienced. You have young people that think management is mircomanaging or you have the old folks taking their divorce out on their coworkers (and still don't see why their spouse left them).
    The hours are ridiculous.
    The people are ridiculous. Not all but most.
    Miserable people that like to invent stories about you.
    With the changes and a big wig leaving, makes me wonder why this person left, perhaps they see the same future I see (pitfall ahead).
    Pay is TERRIBLE!!!!
    I don't think I have ever done so much work for such obnoxious pay.
    The place is a cult.
    The place is a joke.
    I have no intentions of staying.
    I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.
    I don't look for high fives and or any "pats on the back" because no one cares. They only care about themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice? Why? They are too busy listening to themselves. When someone is stuck in the mirror talking and answering themselves back, it's a lost cause.

lost time....

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)

Pros- none there is no positive point

Cons- unfriendly management
    - Seniors just delegate never actively help
    - Senior N.R. always comes late to work and disappears for lunch for 2 hours
    - you are stuck when performing well
    - overachieving results mean nothing, never positive feedback
    - Seniors really managed to get Christmas gift for office employees on end April ready!
    - your opinion doesnt count

Advice to Senior Management- if you want to keep good performers around promote them on time

Good for a bit but not a place for career if you've studied!

Customer Service Executive (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

ProsGreat benefits and incentives, great Christmas party in Amsterdam every year with all expenses paid. Fast growing company. Fresh fruits, coffee,tea and meals everyday. Work colleagues are great and meeting people from all over the globe.

ConsBoring job. Little chance of promotion, brain washing. Repetitive work everyday. There is no room for advancement as everything is micromanaged by management. Meaning merit will not get you promoted but popularity or 'visibility on the floor' to use the company jargon. If your team leader does not like you, you're stuck in your position. Promotions only offered to the incompetent brown nosers

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent team leaders as hiring from outside the company will give you a different view but not the booking.com view. In my experience, they hired 7 team leaders and 5 were fired. Probably it is better hire a team leader from the inside?

Flag Review
    Thanks for the direct feedback; we're working hard to make improvements.

Great people and opportunities

ProsYou will meet great people at Booking.com. People are highly motivated, take ownership and get recognition for their efforts. The culture is unique and you will learn a lot in this company.

ConsSalary not always competitive.

Flag Review
    Thanks for adding your feedback.

Account Manager

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsWorking Environment, Possibility to be myself, Possibility to make career, Possibility to express my potential

ConsWorkload, Time Management, Base salary could be higher

Flag Review
    Thanks for sharing your experience!

Worked for Booking.com? Contribute to the Community!

Booking.com Videos

Booking.com – Why Work for Us?

Booking.com B.V., part of Priceline.com (Nasdaq: PCLN), owns and operates Booking.com™. Booking.com was established in 1996 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands and has grown into the world’s leading online hotel and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Booking.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Booking.com CEO Darren Huston. All 195 reviews posted anonymously by Booking.com employees.