Booking.com

Updated November 20, 2014
3.2

Booking.com CEO Darren Huston
Darren Huston

Pros
  • For me, the work environment is what beats all the other companies out there (in 21 reviews)

• Free travel, market visits, company holiday party in Amsterdam, a free lunch once a month (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Account managers: absolutely NO work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Poor Management low salary poor work ethics (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Dysfunctional to No End with all Top Talent Leaving

Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Holiday party and year end gift
    Colleagues are fun to hang out with and go to happy hours
    Casual dress code
    See new places across country/world

Cons

While the highlights sound great-- an outsider may even be left scratching their head and thinking how can anyone not want to work here? Well my friend, sign the dotted line and in six months you too can see how chaotic and unorganized things are. As you update your LinkedIn and come up with a clever excuse as to why you need a new job after only 6 months you can reflect as to how much that dress code and holiday party mean to you and your personal sanity.

In a nutshell: it's like backwards innovation and tooling, mediocre leadership stretched too thin, and poor compensation that make it intolerable to stay here longer than a few years. Combine this with a call center approach to a corporate office and its Booking.com's recipe for an employee retention disaster. There is no one on one account management support any longer as promised to partners. The foundational elements and values are changing after ten years. Explain that to your several hundred thousands of partners. There is a new phone system that chooses the poor sucker who is in available status and mandates they answer calls related to another slackers market who is not available. Yet this person is available and sits at their desk and streams the latest sports event or Nicki Minaj music video. Completely serious. A corporate office of account management for the worlds largest travel site with no voice mail for their clients to reach out to. This results in mediocre service across the board, sticky notes on desks, and just general discontent among employees.

Internal promotions are a joke when it comes to compensation. It's a 10% increase. If you want to strain yourself you might get 11% and a free migraine! Wahoo! Relocation- no problem best of luck if you can afford it after the one year supplemental package has wore off.

In a nut shell. Apply to the competition if you want to work for a travel site. Work hard, get paid hard. Or you can come here and just work hard. Nothing else.

If the CEO is reading this please consider signing up for undercover boss and spend a few days in the hotel teams shoes. I have no advice to any of the USA regional managers or higher as most are imported and depict all flowers and rainbows to the headquarters office. Look at employee retention rates, look at your pay against the competition which is aggressively headhunting your top talent with 25% higher salaries, and hire an outside firm to optimize the flow of workload among roles. It clearly cannot be done internally.

Top Talents Quits

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free travel, market visits, company holiday party in Amsterdam, a free lunch once a month.

Cons

Low salary, No commission, capped bonus (limited to $2k per quarter even if individual OVERACHIEVES individual goal), quarterly payout of bonuses (4 months is a long time to wait for a small bonus check), tied to your desk due to DXI phone system with non-stop inbound calls, more projects and work load, customer service calls, limited PTO where vacation and sick time is combined and comes from the same PTO bucket, competitive office environment with a small team, office cliques, unfair time management.

1. Reconsider how much your account managers "need" to travel for trainings in Amsterdam, and instead increase their salaries and bonuses, conduct trainings locally.
    2. Treat all employees and team members equally, do not show favoritism.
    3. Eliminate team vs team goals and have everyone work together toward one office goal. Why turn 6 people against each other?! Save team vs team goals when you've grown your teams to at least 12 reps for each team respectively.

Booking.cult

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Booking.com

Pros

Not one. Not one. Not one. Not one.

Cons

Terrible pay.
    Fake people.
    People that gossip and they call it a managers meeting.
    Ingrates.
    A glorified factory. Instead of sewing machines it's a computer and phone.
    All the positive reviews are fake.
    Not enough napkins to go around so that people can wipe their mouths from brown nosing.
    People that don't have a change of clothes.

Buying up companies doesn't make you look better to your competitors. It only brings you more problems having to juggle a bunch of companies at the same time.
    Managers titles are earned not bought
    Company has zero structure.
    One day it goes like this and the next day it goes like that.
    And then call it fast pace and change.
    That's because you have youngsters running around playing in the sand building sand castles that end up crashing down with an ice bucket challenge.
    So I say to management stay in your sand house and let's see how far that gets you. While you think you're better than your competitor I'm sure they are having good times reading every negative comment on here.

Great company to work for. Great benefits.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Travel reimbursement. Great laid back work environment

Cons

No stock-options. Micromanagement creeps in every once in awhile

Increase salaries to stay competitive with the competition

Bad

Current Employee - Account Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Travel Christmas party meet new friends

Cons

Poor Management low salary poor work ethics

Learn how to

Fun

Current Employee - Coordinator Hotels in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Coordinator Hotels in New York, NY

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like the solidarity found in each booking.com member. There is enthusiasm and constant support.

Cons

It is a non-stop, fast growing company. Adapting to this environment can be challenging. Although, adapting allows you to grow along.

I took the job for free travel, that took me around the country and to Europe!!!

Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Booking.com (more than an year)

Pros

If you love traveling you can put-up with this job for a while. Get hired before mid-july so you meet the cutoff date to go to the christmas party in Amsterdam... and then quite after you get back!

Depending on which office you are in, you work with some great people!

Cons

Every post on here about poor management is 110% accurate! I saw the extremely negative posts prior to accepting the position and thought to myself, they were just young, mad, unmotivated employees that probably got fired. You see, I was not a "fresh out of college" type of employee. I had thought I would be able to work with them and do well. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have got my hopes up, they are/were the worst managers I have every worked with/for. And to be fair, they were put in those positions unprepared and under supported. So I might go as far as saying they were good people, just horrible horrible horrible managers. And I didn't get fired. I left and returned to my old industry and am making double.

The list of Cons go On and On.... I agree with most of the previous posts, so go back, and read. And please note that if there is a post that rates this company over 2 stars, you can disregard as it is probably middle management trying to better the ranking. I do know that its not upper management because I saw how they responded to their employee engagement survey: by doing nothing...........

I don't really have any advice for upper management. They created this mess... they are just going to continue to make millions while they crap on the people actually doing the work.

Tons of Promises - Zero Delivery

Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-free annual trips to Amsterdam
    -networking with people from all over the globe
    -good and valuable trainings
    -good health benefits

Cons

-extremely low pay for the huge work load
    -constant changes, new procedures and ridiculous expectations almost daily
    -horrible, immature management
    -promises unfulfilled/misleading
    -practically no room for growth
    -micro managing from people who can't manage their own lives
    -jealousy and favortism
    -promotions only offered to the incompetent brown nosers

-Quit micromanaging and changing everything on a daily basis.
    -Quit promoting people with zero management skills and experience solely because they are a friend, family, friend of a friend, etc.
    -Quit making empty promises if you will never deliver, leading people to waste their lives stressing out over a job within a huge company but never getting anywhere.
    -Provide more incentives and opportunities!! A measly $0.30 yearly raise does not cut it if the work load increases by a good 30%!!...and neither does the 'free food' which is unnecessary for obvious reasons.
    -Better yet, just QUIT and give other competent people the opportunity to turn things around.

Disappointing and frustrating.

I worked at Booking.com (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with some amazing, creative and smart individuals. Not only in my office but throughout the company world wide. Some travel opportunities.

Cons

Position was not challenging. Middle management were extremely clique-ish. Promotions were given out based on personal relationships rather than merit. If you weren't willing to participate in the gossip chances are your opportunities for advancement were very limited.

When I was hired, the recruiter and other interviewers skewed the truth regarding position responsibilities and travel options. Needless to say I was very disappointed and shocked on the first day of training.

Stop gossiping. Recognize hard work rather than brown nosing.

Don't be sold on false promises of advancement opportunity, annual "raises" or bonuses

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall atmosphere and intent of the co is good, it was nice that they said they would research like positions in our market ... until they swiftly and quietly changed the title of the lowest paying position to avoid paying fairly

Cons

The higher ups promote people who spend time rubbing elbows with the boss and don't notice those actually busy doing the job, though all the statistics and results are monitored closely and easily available to them

Honor your values by promoting from work horses and those with in the company, if they're "not ready" the management should spend time preparing them instead of interviewing their friends.
    Don't insult the people your own supervisors rate as consistently Exceeding Expectations by doling out non-negotiable annual "raises" of 45 cents an hour