Booking.com

Updated November 19, 2014
3.2

Booking.com CEO Darren Huston
Darren Huston

Pros
  • For me, the work environment is what beats all the other companies out there (in 21 reviews)

• Free travel, market visits, company holiday party in Amsterdam, a free lunch once a month (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Account managers: absolutely NO work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Poor Management low salary poor work ethics (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

strong, innovative company to learn from...has it's pains

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

casual and laid back environment. company continues to grow and grow. opportunities for promotion and you can possibly move anywhere you want and there'll be an office in that city. big on training. Always new company initiatives. overall a very innovative company but if you're outside of headquarters you won't be creating innovations just executing. it's stronger than competing companies. Planet Earth's #1 Accommodation site

Cons

targets are often very aggressive and cause for constant pressure depending on how an office is doing. rapid growth can be stressful as company focus can change from quarter to quarter. they will often times make you fight for what you're worth. compensation is the biggest gripe among current employees. If the paid at market rates the overall rating would be a lot higher.

compensate to market to eliminate this internal pain and the difference it will make in office climates and overall production will rise significantly

A company that cares about no one.

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers + opportunity for travel.

Cons

Made to feel like everything you do is wrong, unattainable bonuses and goals, scolded if any goals are not reached and made to feel like you just aren't working hard enough (even if the time frame and expectations are absolutely outlandish), plus terrible management. I've never worked somewhere that made me feel so undervalued. It is clear that this company only cares about making money for stockholders and not at all about the people doing the actual labor.

Booking Dot No...Seriously

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A free monthly lunch? You'll need that on their salary. Managers are pretty useless. So if your goal is too just survive without working too hard, this job will allow that as long as you smile and can hold a cordial conversation.

Cons

If this new minimum wage proposal passes, high school dropouts will be making only a little less than college-educated employees with college loans to play back. Promotions or a future? No, that's only for Europeans and the managers' friends. As far as senior management goes, cardboard cutouts motivate more productivity. Their seniors are more geared at maintaining the sheep than the workload. This is why good workers tend to be overworked because they end up overcompensating for those no longer applied. As long as no one complains, the managers ignore it. If you are smart and ambitious, there is no place for you here. If you are indebt and desperate, I'm sorry and good luck.

Advice for the better? Leave.

Great company to work on your own development

I have been working at Booking.com full-time

Pros

Great people, training and development, growth in the company and company culture

Cons

Top down management, salary is lower than most companies. Travel benefits are a joke. Great company for young people who can pick up and move but bad for established people with families who can't move.

Listen to middle mgmt and let them make decisions based on territory needs. Stop dictating and start retaining your top employees

Did I Really Do This For Two Years?

I worked at Booking.com full-time

Pros

I went to Amsterdam and traveled the U.S. for a few business trips. Those are my happiest memories of the company...when I wasn't actually doing work.

Booking.com gave everyone an iPad for Christmas and threw a super amazing Christmas party at the Amsterdam headquarters, filled with booze, house music, and actual fun.

Most of the people I worked with are smart, talented, creative, and driven. I've developed lasting friendships with them.

Cons

Booking.com is the type of company that tries to trick you into loving your job. A handful of bumbling idiots fall for it and would practically give their lives for B.com. The rest of us are attuned to their games and are miserable drones whose souls exit their bodies the moment we step through the door each morning. I was a robot for 8 hours a day because I was assigned menial tasks that required zero thinking and attended pointless/endless meetings about equally worthless crap. I once attended a meeting about meetings. No lie.

If one of the Kool-Aid drinking managers doesn't like you or recognizes that you are not as brainwashed as they are, you will not advance. You will continue to do the same meaningless busy work day-in and day-out. If the managers do not personally like you and invite you to Sunday brunch or SoulCycle, you will not advance and you will most likely be driven out of the company by their cold-shoulder, high school pettiness.

If you have any ounce of creativity in your noodle, DO NOT accept a job as a Content Editor. There is minimal writing involved. You proofread text prepared by a robot and make sales calls soliciting photos from hoteliers.

My advice is for upper management- the Darrens and Michaelas of the company: hire local managers with management experience. Don't hire someone fresh out of college and promote them 4 times in 2 years. They are not properly trained to manage people. They've simply worked the system.

Customer Service Executive

Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome place to work to, good quarterly bonuses, great benefits

Cons

to strict on attentent

Sales Coordinator

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company encourages employees to lead projects and all employees are expected to roll up their sleeves to get the job done. it used to have a fun family-type atmosphere.

Cons

Depending on the office, leading projects and upward mobility is based on likability not on performance. Management runs a popularity show. It is very disorganized and too much time is spent on meetings and tracking short term progress. Workers are highly undervalued and payed below market standards.

Management lacks people skills and tact. Managers have little to no managerial experience. They micromanage and expend more time targeting employees weaknesses instead of cultivating strengths.

Advice: Execute a 6-month management trial period for new managers. During the trial they must attend rigorous leadership trainings. At the end of the trial conduct an anonymous employee feedback survey. Based on the survey determine if they are ready to lead.

A casual business culture with good benefits and opportunities for advancement.

Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hires from within, opportunities for travel, friendly and supportive management, even low level employees have a voice, calls are not scripted.

Cons

Repetitive work, imperfect system for measuring performance, inter-department communication is lacking.

Hourly wages could be increased across the board, considering how much the success of the company is based on customer service. Better wages equal better worker retention (saves on training), employee satisfaction (better performance), and more opportunities for employees to travel and use Booking.com ($$$).

Good Job

I have been working at Booking.com

Pros

The company provides a great deal of area for growth to their employees. They need a minimum level of experience to better yourself in this company.

Cons

Compared to most companies in the call center industry the wage isn't that great. However they provide a great set of benefits to go with it.

If you're a smart/talented human being, you'd be dumb to work for Booking.com.

Former Employee - Content Editor

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Every six months or so, they'll dangle a little trip in front of you. When you inevitably get upset you're making 20% less than they are at the competitor or you realize there is no room for advancement because they've decided to fill your role with a sociopath (because middle management is also made up exclusively of sociopaths), some useless training will come up somewhere exotic. You'll go to the training, meet some really nice, really friendly people. You'll bond with all of them because they're all as miserable and unhappy as you are.

Booking.com is a colossal game of smoke and mirrors. For every perk handed out, two are quietly taken away. If you find yourself enjoying something, that's when it's time to get nervous.

If I have to say something nice, it's that the job is usually pretty stress free. The managers don't really care much about you and they certainly never listen to what you have to say, so if you want it's pretty easy to fly under the radar. If you're a lazy, "happy just to have a job in this economy" type of person, you're going to do awesome at Booking.com.

Oh, and free lunch once a month.

Cons

Booking.com has one heck of a scam going. They make more money than all their competitors combined, yet pay their employees 20-30% less than every other OTA. I think they figure that they can just keep hiring eager young people, wine and dine them until they realize they're being duped and then just go find more young people. You are and will always be expendable to Booking.com, just know that. The cycle can stop with you...seriously, do not take this job.

A huge percentage of the managers are not only kind of crummy, but aggressively awful. The company grew so fast, that many of the managers earned their positions simply because they've worked with the company the longest; which in many cases is just three years.

Booking.com always reminded me of an Oreo with a garbage filled center. On the one side, you have this brilliant visionary CEO. On the other side you have these bright entry level employees who are really earnest, nice people. Sandwiched in the middle is just this layer of really terrible people with atrocious management skills. If the Booking.com middle management had an Instagram account it would consist of mirror selfies, pictures of food and annoying hashtags.

Managers are constantly making decisions that make you scratch your head. At first, you'll just shrug it off: "I guess that's how they want to run their business." Then you'll start to ask yourself, "Is this how things work at other companies? It can't be." Then you'll get upset, "Not only is this a poor business decision, but it also defies human logic!" Employees, at least in our office, walked around in a constant state of depression and outrage.

Eventually you feel so surrounded by immaturity and incompetence you resign to your desk and work really hard with your headphones in just so that time passes faster. Maybe they're onto something there.

Things are especially bad if you're a Content Editor. Did you go to school to write? Do you enjoy writing? I bet you like being creative too. Well, despite the job title, a Content Editor doesn't get to do any of those things. Isn't that fun? I have no idea why they keep hiring English majors for a job that no longer requires writing. The closest you get to "writing" will be checking thousands of robot generated texts for grammar. What great experience! As the job exists today, you'll spend most of your time calling or emailing hotels to have them send in photos. I hope you like sales, because that's what this gig basically is now. If you're an English major and you wanted to put your education to some use, run! Run as fast as you can from Booking.com.

All I can tell you is what I experienced and that is working at Booking.com was a living nightmare. If you still want to work there after all that, well...

Stay just where you are! Please do not poison the rest of the workforce with your narcissism and inexperience. You deserve Booking.com and Booking.com deserves you!

Also, stop hiring English majors as Content Editors.