Booking.com

Updated December 18, 2014
3.1

Booking.com CEO Darren Huston
Darren Huston

Pros
  • For me, the work environment is what beats all the other companies out there (in 24 reviews)

• Free travel, market visits, company holiday party in Amsterdam, a free lunch once a month (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • senior management could improve in their agility, low salary (in 12 reviews)

• Account managers: absolutely NO work life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Did I Really Do This For Two Years?

I worked at Booking.com full-time

Pros

I went to Amsterdam and traveled the U.S. for a few business trips. Those are my happiest memories of the company...when I wasn't actually doing work.

Booking.com gave everyone an iPad for Christmas and threw a super amazing Christmas party at the Amsterdam headquarters, filled with booze, house music, and actual fun.

Most of the people I worked with are smart, talented, creative, and driven. I've developed lasting friendships with them.

Cons

Booking.com is the type of company that tries to trick you into loving your job. A handful of bumbling idiots fall for it and would practically give their lives for B.com. The rest of us are attuned to their games and are miserable drones whose souls exit their bodies the moment we step through the door each morning. I was a robot for 8 hours a day because I was assigned menial tasks that required zero thinking and attended pointless/endless meetings about equally worthless crap. I once attended a meeting about meetings. No lie.

If one of the Kool-Aid drinking managers doesn't like you or recognizes that you are not as brainwashed as they are, you will not advance. You will continue to do the same meaningless busy work day-in and day-out. If the managers do not personally like you and invite you to Sunday brunch or SoulCycle, you will not advance and you will most likely be driven out of the company by their cold-shoulder, high school pettiness.

If you have any ounce of creativity in your noodle, DO NOT accept a job as a Content Editor. There is minimal writing involved. You proofread text prepared by a robot and make sales calls soliciting photos from hoteliers.

My advice is for upper management- the Darrens and Michaelas of the company: hire local managers with management experience. Don't hire someone fresh out of college and promote them 4 times in 2 years. They are not properly trained to manage people. They've simply worked the system.

Customer Service Executive

Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome place to work to, good quarterly bonuses, great benefits

Cons

to strict on attentent

Sales Coordinator

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company encourages employees to lead projects and all employees are expected to roll up their sleeves to get the job done. it used to have a fun family-type atmosphere.

Cons

Depending on the office, leading projects and upward mobility is based on likability not on performance. Management runs a popularity show. It is very disorganized and too much time is spent on meetings and tracking short term progress. Workers are highly undervalued and payed below market standards.

Management lacks people skills and tact. Managers have little to no managerial experience. They micromanage and expend more time targeting employees weaknesses instead of cultivating strengths.

Advice: Execute a 6-month management trial period for new managers. During the trial they must attend rigorous leadership trainings. At the end of the trial conduct an anonymous employee feedback survey. Based on the survey determine if they are ready to lead.

A casual business culture with good benefits and opportunities for advancement.

Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hires from within, opportunities for travel, friendly and supportive management, even low level employees have a voice, calls are not scripted.

Cons

Repetitive work, imperfect system for measuring performance, inter-department communication is lacking.

Hourly wages could be increased across the board, considering how much the success of the company is based on customer service. Better wages equal better worker retention (saves on training), employee satisfaction (better performance), and more opportunities for employees to travel and use Booking.com ($$$).

If you're a smart/talented human being, you'd be dumb to work for Booking.com.

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Every six months or so, they'll dangle a little trip in front of you. When you inevitably get upset you're making 20% less than they are at the competitor or you realize there is no room for advancement because they've decided to fill your role with a sociopath (because middle management is also made up exclusively of sociopaths), some useless training will come up somewhere exotic. You'll go to the training, meet some really nice, really friendly people. You'll bond with all of them because they're all as miserable and unhappy as you are.

Booking.com is a colossal game of smoke and mirrors. For every perk handed out, two are quietly taken away. If you find yourself enjoying something, that's when it's time to get nervous.

If I have to say something nice, it's that the job is usually pretty stress free. The managers don't really care much about you and they certainly never listen to what you have to say, so if you want it's pretty easy to fly under the radar. If you're a lazy, "happy just to have a job in this economy" type of person, you're going to do awesome at Booking.com.

Oh, and free lunch once a month.

Cons

Booking.com has one heck of a scam going. They make more money than all their competitors combined, yet pay their employees 20-30% less than every other OTA. I think they figure that they can just keep hiring eager young people, wine and dine them until they realize they're being duped and then just go find more young people. You are and will always be expendable to Booking.com, just know that. The cycle can stop with you...seriously, do not take this job.

A huge percentage of the managers are not only kind of crummy, but aggressively awful. The company grew so fast, that many of the managers earned their positions simply because they've worked with the company the longest; which in many cases is just three years.

Booking.com always reminded me of an Oreo with a garbage filled center. On the one side, you have this brilliant visionary CEO. On the other side you have these bright entry level employees who are really earnest, nice people. Sandwiched in the middle is just this layer of really terrible people with atrocious management skills. If the Booking.com middle management had an Instagram account it would consist of mirror selfies, pictures of food and annoying hashtags.

Managers are constantly making decisions that make you scratch your head. At first, you'll just shrug it off: "I guess that's how they want to run their business." Then you'll start to ask yourself, "Is this how things work at other companies? It can't be." Then you'll get upset, "Not only is this a poor business decision, but it also defies human logic!" Employees, at least in our office, walked around in a constant state of depression and outrage.

Eventually you feel so surrounded by immaturity and incompetence you resign to your desk and work really hard with your headphones in just so that time passes faster. Maybe they're onto something there.

Things are especially bad if you're a Content Editor. Did you go to school to write? Do you enjoy writing? I bet you like being creative too. Well, despite the job title, a Content Editor doesn't get to do any of those things. Isn't that fun? I have no idea why they keep hiring English majors for a job that no longer requires writing. The closest you get to "writing" will be checking thousands of robot generated texts for grammar. What great experience! As the job exists today, you'll spend most of your time calling or emailing hotels to have them send in photos. I hope you like sales, because that's what this gig basically is now. If you're an English major and you wanted to put your education to some use, run! Run as fast as you can from Booking.com.

All I can tell you is what I experienced and that is working at Booking.com was a living nightmare. If you still want to work there after all that, well...

Stay just where you are! Please do not poison the rest of the workforce with your narcissism and inexperience. You deserve Booking.com and Booking.com deserves you!

Also, stop hiring English majors as Content Editors.

Good Job

I have been working at Booking.com

Pros

The company provides a great deal of area for growth to their employees. They need a minimum level of experience to better yourself in this company.

Cons

Compared to most companies in the call center industry the wage isn't that great. However they provide a great set of benefits to go with it.

company needs work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good location, young environment. good for someone who is now starting off in there career besides that do not see any real growth opportunities.

Cons

to many gossiping at work. management is a joke. not a place to stay long term. turnaround is high.

Management consists of liars, bullies, and the unqualified

Current Employee - Credit Controller in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Credit Controller in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will meet many good decent people, none in management. Nice trips and holiday party. Hours are fine. Pay is not in the top percentile, but it is more than minimum wage. Management will make plenty of promises. They will never mean them and certainly won't follow through. Will look good on your resume which will come in handy when you realize you're wasting your time there and finally look for a job with decent company.

Cons

Just about everything. Team leads have no desire to actually work. They have no accountability for not doing the basic requirements of the position. They are allowed to take 3xs the amount of earned PTO, come and go as they please, then write up the hard working people for being a few minutes late. The rest of the time is split between meeting with each other, getting as many company paid lunches as possible, and making everyone else's life hell. This includes making up policies depending on mood and outright lies about policies. They will also stand in the middle of the department bashing each other, thier teams, and the company. Bullying is common practice and HR is either too stupid or lazy to help. The zero tolerance policy on retaliation is just a bunch of words on paper. The area managers refuse to help, probably because it would mean working. The newest regional manager has proven to be a liar in everything that was ever said. Workload is overwhelming and don't you dare ask for help. I doubt any of them even understand how to actually do the job. If you want to move up, forget it. They lie and claim that the focus is development, but in actuality it's made to be your responsibility. Oh! You're also not allowed to try to develop yourself. That will end with a write-up for asking questions of a member of management that is not your direct supervisor. Changes and decisions are never shared. They wait for you to accidentally find out then berate you for not knowing.Bonus structure is also a big secret. You have no idea where you stand or if you're even meeting targets. For the love of God, if you're thinking about taking a job there, don't!

Finally do somethingabout the management that you have in place. Does the Booking.com formula mean anything to you?? The employees can't continue to hold these idiots up. We are struggling to make the targets and we can't get any help. The management team is holding us back. I just don't get how you can care so little about the people working so hard to produce the amazing results you see month after month. Step in. Get rid of the HR management and start over. Get rid of the dead weight on the department management team. Why pay them to do nothing? If they can't do the requirements of the job and can't bother to show up, why keep them around? It's liability to have management that doesn't care for the company's best interest and tells everyone your personal information.

Good Stepping Stone

Current Employee - Customer Care in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Various shifts available. Easy Job for the most part. Produce and you will be rewarded. Don't and you won't. Technological tools are available to you. Get to meet friendly folks from all over the world as the company in international. Yearly party in Amsterdam is a nice year end bash.

Cons

Can be stressful during peak times or when company is going through organizational changes. Base pay could be higher. More recognition would be nice as well.

Keep listening to your down line. They are responsible for your bonuses !

False Hope

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to meet some truly nice people.

Cons

False promises of advancing. Managers promote who they go drinking with, rather than those who perform. Extremely catty environment. Pay isn't good compared with market average. Competitors of Booking pay 30-40% more for same job. HQ and senior management is severely out of touch with what goes on in most offices.

Stop acting like you're in high school, and be professional. If you tell someone they are in line for a promotion, act on it.