Books-A-Million

Be The First To
Add Photos

Terry Finley

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

In the year I have been with Books A Million it has had ups and downs but never boring.

Bookseller (Current Employee)
Panama City, FL

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time for more than a year

ProsI get to work around books and people which I love. As an employee you get a 20% discount and on every payday it is 30% off.

ConsThe pay could be better. No raises. When I put in for the position I said I couldn't work Sundays unless absolutely no one was available. The asst. manager is good about giving me it off if she makes the schedule but the general manager will work me every time. We are supposed to wear business casual and no shorts,no bra straps showing but some people can get away with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a set of rules that applies to everyone and follow through with it. Pay attention to when employees are not available and schedule accordingly.

All they care about is selling their stupid discount cards

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Panama City, FL

I worked at Books-A-Million full-time for less than a year

ProsSome of my coworkers were literate, interesting people who really loved books. You can borrow books from the store to take home and read.

ConsIncessant emphasis on selling overpriced discount card, at the expense of customer service. Low pay, even the managers were making poverty level wages. Upper management inhuman. Turned what could have been a pleasant position helping people purchase books into a sales competition pitting employees against each other. If you can't sell enough they will cut your hours down to the point where you have no choice but to leave or work part time

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making everything about selling discount cards - once the price of these things was doubled, they became impractical for all but the most high volume customers - anyone who can do basic math knows that the card is not a good deal, so that leaves you to basically prey on the ignorant and gullible to make your quota. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Worked for Books-A-Million? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Books-A-Million reviews and ratings in Panama City, FL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Books-A-Million CEO Terry Finley . All reviews posted anonymously by Books-A-Million employees.