Books-A-Million

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014
2.2

Terry Finley

Pros
  • The employee discount increases on pay day which is quite a temptation (in 77 reviews)

• Book checkout program - any book in the store can be borrowed for two weeks (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • First of all, when I first started at books a million the discount card was only (in 164 reviews)

• Hours are cut if cards and magazines do not meet the requirements (in 55 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work place

I worked at Books-A-Million

Pros

Great people, great management

Cons

Selling card or bourse cut

Fine Place to Work

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Books-A-Million full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Changes are being made to make the company a better place to work. Many employees are passionate about what they do.

Cons

Balance of workloads. Little work/life balance.

Work on balancing workloads better.

I was a pleasant work environment

Current Employee - Barista in Meridian, MS
    Current Employee - Barista in Meridian, MS

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The customers were always nice and the staff was helpful.

Cons

There wasn't enough hours to go around. The discount wasn't huge and the pay wasn't great.

Do some cross training to give others the opportunity to get hours.

A very difficult job.

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time

Pros

- Great employee discounts.
    - You can borrow books for up to 2 weeks
    - Management and fellow associates at the location I work for are amazing. Very kind, smart, and respectful people who are there to help you learn the ropes.

Cons

The pressure to sell the $25 dollar discount cards, as well as the magazines is borderline outrageous. 20% of your total sales HAS to be from the cards/magazines, or you WILL get your hours cut. You can be the most considerate associate, who works hard and always puts the customer first - but it won't matter if you cannot make your weekly percentage (5%). The managers at my store are all fantastic, and I feel so bad for them when they feel the pinch of Corporate coming down on them because of a lack of card/magazine sales. . . but I feel worse for the customers. At times it feels like harassment, especially when it comes to the pushing magazines (seriously, anyone who is smart knows that "free trial" is gonna turn into a huge, whopping bill if they forget to cancel . . .). I've seen customers up and walk out after being hounded to buy the cards. I want to build a relationship with my customers so that they continue to shop here!!! I will gladly offer them the card, but if they don't want it, then I shouldn't have to make them feel bad for choosing not to buy - or have my employment jeopardized in the process.

Easy Job

Current Employee - Bookseller in Orange Park, FL
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Orange Park, FL

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy work. I have several years retail experience and this is one of the easiest jobs I have had. The book check-out program is awesome and the discount is really good. So far, I have no complaints really. Because the bonuses we receive are based on store performance, those who don't care to meet their individual goal are given very few hours so they are not interfering with those who actually try too much.

Cons

The metrics for magazine subscriptions and club memberships can be tough sometimes. Most of the time I reach my goal or pretty close to it. There are some associates who don't even try so even when I don't reach it, I still look better than them on paper. However, they drag down the entire store average and if the store doesn't reach their goal, no one gets the bonus they worked hard for. Oh, and did I mention the pay is minimum wage? A little disappointing.

Instead of giving those who try very little to meet their goals few hours, GET RID OF THEM. there are plenty of people out there willing to work hard.

It's been a few years, but I worked with a great group of people.

Former Employee - Bookseller
    Former Employee - Bookseller

I worked at Books-A-Million part-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I was there, we had the opportunity to sort of specialize in an area. So I was able to gain experience in retail while increasing my knowledge of a specific subject area. It wasn't difficult to take time off with notice.

Cons

Selling the discount card wasn't exactly a con because it really did benefit the customers, but having to offer it to people who had already declined it a million times before was as frustrating for me as it was for them.

I was told when I was hired that there would be opportunity for raises. But I never got a raise from minimum wage, despite being told that my work was excellent.

expectations are high for no support

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the people i worked with were amazing and the discount was nice.

Cons

Hours based on selling cards and magazine subscriptions
    Little room for growth, company expects the work of 5 people from one person, Schedule does not suit needs of the store
    company pays little for people with lots of experience,

management needs to stand behind employees and offer better benefits.

Stop Now

I worked at Books-A-Million

Pros

You get a chance to befriend some very loyal customers! Management will appease you… only if you're making sales goals.

Cons

The weekly goal for the Millionaire's Club Card was nearly impossible to reach without tricking customers into it and the Magazine for Millionaires was a headache. There was no room for advancement, and everything needs to be updated down from the carpet to the computer systems.

Selling magazine subscriptions and membership cards, not books.

I have been working at Books-A-Million full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with books and customers. Company leadership is political and not employee friendly at all. The emphasis is on selling magazine subscriptions and membership cards, customer service is given lip service but means nothing if your "numbers" are not good. Buyers practically run the company and there is no common sense to the organization.

Cons

Only college students and people with alternate incomes can afford to work here. There is still a wage freeze so no raises unless you are promoted. This company is hard to work for because so much is based on politics.

Concentrate on selling books and merchandise. Listen to the store personnel about what books are most requested in each location. Treat the employees like adults and reward loyalty and good customer service. Cultivate a moral and positive company culture. The buyers should not be merchandising the stores.

I love my store but the company itself is just awful. Can I give them zero stars?

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Books-A-Million full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The access to books and media is so awesome.

Cons

I have worked here for over 3 years and have moved up the ranks due to my hard work and dedication. However, they DO NOT give raises and as management I could make more hourly at mcdonalds but as management I am guaranteed the hours (associates get screwed on hours). The wage is minimum and stays that way no matter what. We do performance reviews but they are a tool to get someone fired only if it comes to that or if upper management dislikes them. The DMs refuse raises even if the GM personally requests it. The stress is so bad to make metrics at times and so much is expected of everyone for crap pay. I would advise to stay away and after my long tenure I am seeking a way out as I am tired of the unfairness to not only management but to the way we are forced to treat associates. We were rated the number 1 worst place to work for a reason and nothing has changed. They don't care. Only work here if it is the only option - my advice/favor to you as a current and fully hard working, result receiving functioning member of management

Pay your people for the work they do and what they are worth and your company would not be ranked the worst place to work. When that rating came out the company did a survey to ask for suggestions - what we got was a change to dress code and the ability to use our discount anytime (hah!). Everyone I know would gladly dress to the 9s for fair wages. And read my con's, but honestly I already know you won't bother.

Books-A-Million Photos