Books-A-Million

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Terry Finley

Pros
  • The employee discount increases on pay day which is quite a temptation(in 68 reviews)

• My list of pros are just like everyone elses: I really enjoy the book checkout program(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • First of all, when I first started at books a million the discount card was only(in 149 reviews)

• Hours are cut if cards and magazines do not meet the requirements(in 53 reviews)

Great Company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsI have a great boss and great co-workers. The work environment is healthy and supportive. The work is challenging and I enjoy coming to work each day.

ConsThe retail industry is challenging, and yet it is fascinating.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to offer the quarterly webcasts by the President of the Company. I leave each webcast, informed, motivated, and proud to work for this great company.

BAM is the BOMB

Analyst (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsGreat work environment: collaborative, growth potential, colleagues, FUN!

ConsWould like more paid holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue communicating with all associates

Easy part-time job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsPeaceful environment and allowed to borrow books. Training videos made transition into the new job easier.

ConsNot enough hours and low wage for part timers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay, but not enough to live on.

Bookseller (Current Employee) Charleston, WV

ProsGreat work environment with good discounts, friendly staff..

ConsNot enough money to live off of, commission is okay but not steady enough to count on.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd points or more benefits to the discount cards to improve sales.

Great company who appreciates employees.

Barista (Current Employee) Scranton, PA

ProsEasy going atmosphere. Nice coworkers. Company has employee appreciation month and 30% off every payday! I don't understand the low rating!

ConsMessy customers. Late shifts (store doesn't close until 10).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to show appreciation for employees. Happy employees = happy customers!

Best Job of my career!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsGreat discount! Understanding of life issues happening. Opportunity for advancement if you apply yourself. Laid back customers. Great atmosphere in the stores. Excellent associate recognition!

ConsStores could use more payroll. Employees could use more training for the next step in their career path. Young kids working there seem to have no drive.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate to all employees the direstion of the company in the next 5 years or more. Don't let them think that the book business is dying.

This company is a survivor - and a good place to work

ProsI work with smart, passionate people who are good at what they do. Working in Retail means there is always something new and different. Compensation seems fair as far as retail is concerned.

ConsThe company is in a declining retail vertical and is in constant threat by large new competitors (amazon). Because there is constant change, that can be a source of stress, especially to some. Also, because it's so media driven, there can be a culture of fighting fires.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to find more things to sell that are not directly in competition with Amazon. Build more of the new concept 2nd and Charles stores!

Hard work and High Expectations.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsCompany takes care of dedicated and loyal associates. You're surrounded by books, have a decent discount, and the ability to checkout books for free. Company has always been willing to help associates get to positions they want - whether moving to corporate or to a certain district in the field.

ConsWork-life balance can be an issue during the holidays, but show me a retail job that isn't. This is a relatively small company so compensation and promotions can be a challenge at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to associates and take their feedback to heart. Help cashiers by eliminating some of the checkout spiel.

Management will run you ragged for barley over min wage

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pensacola, FL

Pros'Check out' books free for 2 weeks each, discount on purchases

ConsHigh pressure to sell discount cards- management constantly berating employees who don't sell enough, will make you clean for 3 hours straight and/or cut your hours for not selling well, but offer no constructive advice. Worse high pressure to employees environment I have ever worked in for least hourly and commission rates. Late hours mandatory multiple nights a week. Only job I ever dreaded going to in my life.

Excellent!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsBooks-A-Million is a great place to work for anyone who is interested in getting paid for hard work in a fun environment. I have seen improvements all across the board in the past few years.

ConsThe benefits are not as good as other larger retailers but they treat their employees well.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the great things that will move us to the top. I feel like BAM is becoming BAMfam. This a good company to work for.

Worked for Books-A-Million? Contribute to the Community!