Books-A-Million Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Terry Finley

Pros
  • The employee discount is pretty good (in 79 reviews)

• The book checkout program is a pro (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • And how do you expect us to sell discount cards when we aren't making sales for the year across the board (in 167 reviews)

• We are forced to shove discount cards and magazines down the throat of every customer that comes through the checkout (in 58 reviews)

1. Not terrible but not great.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Books-A-Million part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with college schedule, fun environment at times, You meet neat people who work in the downtown area and they connect you to different jobs.

Cons

Selling that discount card it's like a huge priority there, you're easily replaceable, Houston location management was pretty bad along with the district manager.

Advice to Management

Well to the district manager don't stress out the employees who work so hard for you. I may not be fond of the way my former manager ran certain things but she truly was unappreciated there she worked really hard and they just gave her more work load. To the management inside BAM, you shouldn't mix business with personal and it's really that simple that store closed down for many factors but that would be one of them. Business and personal were always mixed and you shouldn't do that. Also, value your employees more especially your hard working ones.

2. Joe Muggs

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time

Pros

You get tips, and most of the employees are really nice.

Cons

You get burned a lot by the espresso machine. Pay is alright.

3. Loved my Co-workers

I worked at Books-A-Million (More than a year)

Pros

The management and co-workers at the Sarasota Books-A-Million was the best part of my job. Great team and store management that cares about its employees. I LOVED working at a bookstore!

Cons

Some of the policies and procedures of the company itself were difficult to get used to. The rate of pay and pay raises could have been much better.

Some company metrics aren't in line with customer needs

Former Employee - General Manager in Hughesville, PA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Hughesville, PA

I worked at Books-A-Million full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company benefits. I had the pleasure of working with a manager that was supportive, energetic, and was willing to provide me with the necessary training to be successful.

Cons

As a GM you are responsible for ensuring that your staff sells magazine subscriptions that are typically not wanted by the customer. Because this is not a customer drive metric it's hard to meet it, yet they will come down hard on you if you don't.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the magazine subscription sales metrics.

6. any

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Statesville, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Statesville, NC

I have been working at Books-A-Million full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Don't have any cons at this time

7. Might have just had a bad boss

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Books-A-Million part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you love books you get to see the first stuff in.

Cons

They make you sell the discount cards and require them to amount up to a certain percentage of your sales. Not reaching that can result in write ups.

Advice to Management

Give people sections and let them stick to it.

Meh

I worked at Books-A-Million part-time

Pros

Great Employees and often good customers.

Cons

Slave wage pay, even for tourist areas with high cost of living. Company refuses to innovate. Too focused on pushing products the customer does not want or need.

Advice to Management

High Level Management: Remember what happened to Blockbuster?

9. Bookseller

Current Employee - Bookseller in Hattiesburg, MS
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time

Pros

The discount, being able to borrow books, being able to interact with customers who enjoy reading the same genre.

Cons

Too many to count for a 20 word minimum.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites among each other and the booksellers.

10. Such an unorganized mess

Former Employee - Bookseller/Barista in Waldorf, MD
    Former Employee - Bookseller/Barista in Waldorf, MD

I worked at Books-A-Million part-time (More than a year)

Pros

30% discount and being able to check out books before anyone else does is definitely a plus.

Cons

Pay is mediocre at best Constantly forced to make metrics You have your hours cut when you don't Management is so unorganized And the inventory. The pay is above minimum wage but I knew a manager who was working 45 hours a week and he still wasn't making a livable wage. I mean that's just ridiculous. They do offer this little (and I emphasize little) incentive called SPIFF but that is dependant upon you making your metric goals. Speaking of metric goals, it is completely unreasonable to ask one or two associates to be the ones that carry the store in the percentage of metrics. And yes it is always just a few associates who are "responsible" for maintaining numbers throughout the day. One person is typically up front mainly and the other is shelving and putting books away. And if you get overwhelmed you ask for the other person to come up front. The problem, however, is that there are always more people than that in the store but they are specialists and rarely ever get tills because the managers think they should just be focused on their own tasks. Management themselves are always nowhere to be found. When you ask for a manager up front be prepared to wait about 5 minutes. Because it always seems the managers have something better to do than help make sure the guest is satisfied. And finally the inventory, the damn inventory. I had the displeasure of working in the biggest store in my district so we had a lot of merchandise in the store. So much so that a lot of it wouldn't get sold. Probably 40% of what we had didn't sell, including books, movies, games or whatever. Yet when the new shipment came in guess what was on it. That's right the stuff that was NOT selling. And guess what wasn't on it? Right again, the stuff that WAS selling well. Such a backwards way of doing things. It really is.

Advice to Management

Be more available when your associates ask for you and especially when your customers ask. And for bigger stores especially, organize things a little more to make everything a little more enjoyable for the associates and the customers.

11. Wonderful Experiance

Current Employee - Part-Time Keyholder in Monaca, PA
    Current Employee - Part-Time Keyholder in Monaca, PA

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional, Flexible Work environment, great training structure

Cons

Your paycheck will be hurting from all the wonderful books that you find to purchase if you love to read.

RSS Feed </> Embed