Books-A-Million

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
2.3

Terry Finley

Pros
  • The employee discount increases on pay day which is quite a temptation (in 79 reviews)

• Book checkout program - any book in the store can be borrowed for two weeks (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • I felt like a robot I had to sell so many discount cards or I was bashed by the managers (in 167 reviews)

• Hours are cut if cards and magazines do not meet the requirements (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Co Manager in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Co Manager in Katy, TX

I have been working at Books-A-Million

Pros

Huge staff so there's lots of people to help and minimal pressure. HR is working hard to better the job expiriance here. Lots of room for growing. There's a ton of benifits. The associates can apply for legal help through books a a million. Close team member, awesome management team.

Cons

We need more payroll sometimes

Books-A-Million Response

Jan 15, 2015VP of HR

Thanks for the positive comments about your experience working in Katy. We hope to be able to provide growth opportuntities for as many of our associates as possible based on performance.

This was a very okay first time job but it was not at all what I had expected it to be like.. It was kind of oppressing

I have been working at Books-A-Million

Pros

Good first time job, and excellent co-workers who genuinely loved books. I really enjoyed the employee discount. And the smell of the coffee during work.

Cons

There was not much opportunity to raise salary or grow in the company. Also selling their membership cards was the worst part of my day... and life.

Please for the love of all that is good and holy... Get rid of the membership card quota!!

An Enriching, Encouraging Life Chapter

Current Employee - Customer Service Lead in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Lead in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I recently graduated college but have been unsure of what to do next. I began working at BAM while I figured my next steps, and my employment there has only helped me in this chapter of my life. My fellow coworkers comprise the best staff I have ever been a part of in a place of work. Many being well read, I benefit from great insight and differing perspectives on philosophy, theology, academia, etc. We encourage each other help each other grow. The managers are all intelligent and caring. Our merchandise is mostly text--benefiting the literacy of our community. Our cafe drinks and baked goods are so delicious I frequently buy my lunch straight from the store. I enjoy going into work every day.

Cons

There aren't really any significant cons that come to mind. I wish the pay wasn't so minimal for such a highly-esteemed establishment--our clientele are mostly well-educated and come expecting similar employees, an expectation that is mostly met, so it would be appreciated if the pay reflected those met expectations. But at the end of the day, it's retail and a retail employee cannot expect to be compensated as if they obtained a degree for their work.

Be positive people. Be confident individuals. Be humans. I've seen those three attributes shine through in our managers and it endears me to them, inspires me to work hard for them and submit to their leadership. So my advice is simply an encouragement to keep doing what they are already doing.

Great company

I have been working at Books-A-Million

Pros

Discount, career opportunities, great retail environment

Cons

Rotating shifts, store open late

Books-A-Million Response

Jan 15, 2015VP of HR

Really appreciate getting feedback from our associates. We are working hard to make BAM! a great retail environment for our customers and associates.

It's a great company to work with.

Current Employee - Children Specialist in Leesburg, FL
    Current Employee - Children Specialist in Leesburg, FL

I have been working at Books-A-Million

Pros

it's a great company all together

Cons

No cons I love it all together.

Working for Books-A-Million has been a fabulous experience for me!!! I love the family-like atmosphere we share...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Biloxi, MS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Biloxi, MS

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly,positive,family-like ambiance, employee discount, jeans on Sundays, being able to borrow books...fabulous! Managers and fellow associates are awesome!!!

Cons

The policy of writing people up because they don't sell enough magazines. Stores with younger customers (college towns) do better than stores with an older population. Comparing the stores when the demographics are totally different is not fair. One other thing: I need to work more hours.

See the above paragraph about my only con, magazine deals. I work in a store that caters to an 'older' population. The senior citizens do not want any more magazine subscriptions. They do not trust magazine companies, they have too many magazines because they have been hit upon by grandchildren/nieces/nephews, etc, who must sell for their schools, and many of them are not very computer/technology literate. They just don't want to be bothered with such extra mess in their lives. Also, in our area, for several years, magazine companies brought van loads of 'twenty-something' aged kids down here. They went door to door through the neighborhoods trying to sell magazines. Many of them got very rude and threatening when you refused to buy any of the magazines. It was a big deal in this area, even written about in the papers. I know this because I was harassed in this manner by two of these people,on separate occasions. It wasn't a pleasant experience, I promise! And to add to that, many people have already been swindled by the same kind of deal that we are offering. They tried to cancel, but kept getting billed, and money pulled out of their account...I have had many tell me their horror stories already, when I am trying to get them to go for the deal...and some get very angry because it caused them to bounce checks and messed up their bank accounts.
    All of this to say, again, that it isn't fair to compare magazine offers from stores whose demographics are totally different. Stores from areas with major colleges and a lot of college age kids will get more magazines because these young kids love to get free stuff and they are all technology savvy...they have never been swindled by the magazine companies and think nothing of whipping out their phones and canceling orders online....the older folks
    can't do this...they just can't...and having to get on the phone and try to cancel is just too much for them to have to deal with and to remember to do...so, is there any way to look at demographics in an area before punishing the managers and associates for lower magazine offer sales?
    I also would like to work more hours, and my magazine sales affect this as well. It's truly against the store's best
    interest when you have all of your associates having to work more than one job. It seems to me that having loyal associates would be more productive because they can put their all into the store, and do their very best. When your employees are having to juggle more than one job, it is very distracting for most people...other than these two things, I love my job!!!!! I truly do!!! I have a so much fun working at BAM!!!

Great work experience!

Current Employee - General Merchandise Specialist in Kokomo, IN
    Current Employee - General Merchandise Specialist in Kokomo, IN

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love being surrounded by books all day!! It is very fulfilling to make sure everything is neat and organized, especially because I love books dearly!! I also was trained in the cafe, so I am now a certified barista! I really love my job and all of my coworkers and managers are wonderful to work for!

Cons

I don't really have many problems at all with Books-A-Million! I am very happy with my employment! The only thing that I supose can be somewhat vexing is having to sell the discount cards and offering the magazines. It's not a big deal, it would just be nice sometimes to not have to worry about my numbers as much.

As a somewhat regular cafe worker, it would be really awesome to have the cold cups look different according to the sizes. The 16 and 20 ounce cups look very similar, as well as their lids, and it would be so much easier if they were perhaps a different color or said the size on the cup.

I love this company!!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is always something to do there so its not boring. The hours are amazing. And the perks of being an employee are awesome.

Cons

The only thing is metrics. I have had to talk to many of my employees about needing to fix their metrics.

Be careful about what GM's you hire.

Working here has been fun, relaxing, and a good eye opener.

Current Employee - Bookseller in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Bookseller in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Books-A-Million

Pros

It's fun. You get to meet people with same interests.

Cons

Looong hours. Not the best pay.

Don't make so many changes in such short time period

Exciting job with great opportunities to work with people.

Current Employee - Part Time Associate in Statesville, NC
    Current Employee - Part Time Associate in Statesville, NC

I have been working at Books-A-Million

Pros

Ability to provide customer satisfaction by providing them with the title or gift they are looking for, nice co-workers, excellent manager, interesting pace (sometimes very busy and other times a little slower), the community promotions we do to give back to our community, and what I've learned about sales.

Cons

#1. Pay, minimum wage is not fair for providing exceptional customer service. It is discouraging.
    #2. The asst gen mgr is not a team playing, putting employees like myself in difficult situations - not knowing whose direction to follow. Additionally, the agm is not customer service oriented.
    #3. Part-time hours are too random, the same days and hours each week would be preferable

Please look at the part-time pay for providing exceptional service, minimum wage could easily be had at a fast food restaurant. Please ensure all management is on the same page to avoid employee errors and misunderstandings.