Books-A-Million

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
2.1

Terry Finley

Pros
  • The employee discount increases on pay day which is quite a temptation (in 77 reviews)

• Book checkout program - any book in the store can be borrowed for two weeks (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • First of all, when I first started at books a million the discount card was only (in 164 reviews)

• Hours are cut if cards and magazines do not meet the requirements (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

I love working here.

I have been working at Books-A-Million

Pros

The books and non-books items are excellent.

Cons

Everything is overpriced and prices of items sometimes bothers customers.

Price-match!

Great work place

I worked at Books-A-Million

Pros

Great people, great management

Cons

Selling card or bourse cut

Not the greatest place to work

Former Employee - Bookseller/Barista in Decatur, AL
    Former Employee - Bookseller/Barista in Decatur, AL

I worked at Books-A-Million part-time

Pros

Book loans for 2 weeks are nice and you get a good discount.

Cons

People had been working there for years without a raise, you get your hours cut when you don't sell many discount cards or magazines, they get you to trick people into buying them, not a very fun staff, it was full of drama.

Offer more opportunity for growth and higher pay for their time working for you and their hard work, employees talk about pay with each other. Try and offer a way of encouragement for selling cards nd when the goal is not met, just show more encouragment.

Fine Place to Work

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Books-A-Million full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Changes are being made to make the company a better place to work. Many employees are passionate about what they do.

Cons

Balance of workloads. Little work/life balance.

Work on balancing workloads better.

A very difficult job.

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time

Pros

- Great employee discounts.
    - You can borrow books for up to 2 weeks
    - Management and fellow associates at the location I work for are amazing. Very kind, smart, and respectful people who are there to help you learn the ropes.

Cons

The pressure to sell the $25 dollar discount cards, as well as the magazines is borderline outrageous. 20% of your total sales HAS to be from the cards/magazines, or you WILL get your hours cut. You can be the most considerate associate, who works hard and always puts the customer first - but it won't matter if you cannot make your weekly percentage (5%). The managers at my store are all fantastic, and I feel so bad for them when they feel the pinch of Corporate coming down on them because of a lack of card/magazine sales. . . but I feel worse for the customers. At times it feels like harassment, especially when it comes to the pushing magazines (seriously, anyone who is smart knows that "free trial" is gonna turn into a huge, whopping bill if they forget to cancel . . .). I've seen customers up and walk out after being hounded to buy the cards. I want to build a relationship with my customers so that they continue to shop here!!! I will gladly offer them the card, but if they don't want it, then I shouldn't have to make them feel bad for choosing not to buy - or have my employment jeopardized in the process.

This place will take your soul and humanity leaving you a dried up husk of yourself.

I have been working at Books-A-Million full-time

Pros

The only reason to stay is if you find a group of people you enjoy working with. That is the only thing that make the constant demands from higher ups worth it.

Cons

They do not pay well. For long as I have been part of the company there has been a pay freeze in affect. Which means all of the reviews of your performance are meaningless. This also means if you buck too much wanting more money they find a reason to get rid of you. There are plenty of people who want jobs so why pay you more when they can trick the next person through the door. The constant promises of those from corporate that get ignored and when you bring them up you are the bad guy for doing so. Their is just a general lack of we do not care about our front line employees. Also the constant pressure to make goals. The company seems to base the idea of their club card off of the notion if they buy one why not more. If you sell one card then the rest of your sells are to club members they see you as a failure because you did not make your percentage. It saddens me to realize just how badly this company continues to treat their employees. We are people corporate not mindless robots that you can work tirelessly. Also if I could rate anything below one star then I would.

Even if you do not care about the front line employees at least learn some sympathy. Also do no promote to management people who are grossly incompetent. Treat those who are the face of your company with dignity and respect. Pay us what we are worth not what you think you can get away with. Just because you want that brand new Porsche, does not mean you need it.

Working Here Has Nothing To Do With Books

I worked at Books-A-Million full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to take out books like a library. You get a paycheck.

Cons

Sell Club Cards and sham magazine subscriptions. That what the job is here. It has nothing to do with books, it has nothing to do with customer service, it has nothing to do with the long traditions shared by every other bookstore in the world but this one. Everything is judged by the cards and the subscriptions.

A bookstore sells books.

expectations are high for no support

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the people i worked with were amazing and the discount was nice.

Cons

Hours based on selling cards and magazine subscriptions
    Little room for growth, company expects the work of 5 people from one person, Schedule does not suit needs of the store
    company pays little for people with lots of experience,

management needs to stand behind employees and offer better benefits.

Stop Now

I worked at Books-A-Million

Pros

You get a chance to befriend some very loyal customers! Management will appease you… only if you're making sales goals.

Cons

The weekly goal for the Millionaire's Club Card was nearly impossible to reach without tricking customers into it and the Magazine for Millionaires was a headache. There was no room for advancement, and everything needs to be updated down from the carpet to the computer systems.

I was a pleasant work environment

Current Employee - Barista in Meridian, MS
    Current Employee - Barista in Meridian, MS

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The customers were always nice and the staff was helpful.

Cons

There wasn't enough hours to go around. The discount wasn't huge and the pay wasn't great.

Do some cross training to give others the opportunity to get hours.

Books-A-Million Photos