Boom Marketing Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
CEO

1. Love the company and the fun atmosphere!!

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Boom Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

BOOM Marketing only promotes WITHIN the company. It's a great incentive for someone who is willing to take the time to prove themselves. Event managers take home anywhere between 50 to 70k or more (salary).

Full-time positions!

Positions are entry-level, at an hourly rate with travel compensation, and was not explained any differently to me. The company is expanding (looking to triple in 2015), and it shows based on their new office spaces.

You get out what you put in! If you want to work for a company with great opportunity for growth, this one is it.

Cons

Must be great with people and comfortable on your feet.. Not necessarily cons, just musts!

Advice to Management

Second interviews consist of on-site involvement. This proves the company is very transparent. Great idea.

Manager Training Program

Current Employee - Team Leader in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Boom Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Developing and practicing skills on a daily basis
    -Training
    -Leadership
    -Fun environment
    -Ridiculous opportunities and growth potential.
    -You get to see what you're made of, and capable of becoming. I've personally seen people come in with little to nothing and advance through the program a better person, with a solid business background.

Cons

-Hard work with occasional work/life balance out of whack
    -If you don't go all in, your skill development and paycheck won't be what you expected.

Honestly, most of the negative reviews come from people who didn't go all in, or think that the world somehow owes them something. If you're wanting a clock-in/clock-out kind of job, this isn't for you, and you won't flourish. This is for people who want to find out what they're worth, and want to become something more. The upside of this business is ridiculous (we literally have thousands of stores and dozens of products for these stores, and we simply don't have enough capable people to fill the spots); but you'll only make it through if you push and push hard.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront in the beginning regarding how much hard work it will actually take. There's lots of focus on the potential to turn around and grow into a manager super quickly, but the time frame given is not always the norm; and many people get down on themselves about it at some point or another while in the field if they don't achieve this or that in the time they originally anticipated.

Under-promote, Over Deliver

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Boom Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I wake up earlier than everyone else in the morning because of the team environment, proven excellence, massive growth potential and minimal boring desk tasks.

Cons

You have to work hard for your rewards with this company. They are there but only for those who are willing to bring their best selves everyday for the client. This is the secret to our projected growth in 2013.

Advice to Management

Keep your foot on the gas.

5. Positively challenging

I have been working at Boom Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am given all the business tools and resources to succeed. The meeting atmosphere is intellectually stimulating, but also down to earth and fun. Everyone here works together to accomplish a common goal without the "dog eats dog" environment. A safe work environment is important. It's clear everyone who works here is passionate, not just for marketing, but in helping each other grow. I have learned more in the last year than I did in all my years collecting my degree. There is nothing boring about working here!

Cons

This isn't your 9-5pm job. The entrepreneur mindset that is being developed is naturally establishing a higher standard. The more I put in the more I get out. It's not easy, but it's the most rewarding place I have ever worked.

Work with opportunity for growth and recognition

I have been working at Boom Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of hours and growth. No cap on performance incentives so I my paychecks have improved every week. Great team environment and training offered.

Cons

Plenty of hours and a learning curve.

Advice to Management

give me more, I can handle it! Advice to other posters: not everything is for everyone. Don't post negative stuff on here if you got fired for not being able to follow simple protocol. I've never seen anyone let go for any less since I've been here. Learn from it and move on. Advice to future team members: remember ANYONE can post ANYTHING online.

Fun, Exciting, Always something new.

Current Employee - Event Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Event Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Boom Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is very positive and the employees are all really hard working and are good at what they do! The teaching and training program is a great way to keep learning and growing and get you motivated and moving towards management. Great group of people and awesome work ethic.

Cons

We definitely work a lot more than the average company, but that was explained.

Advice to Management

I wish we all got to spend more time together as a team.

Ehhhhh

I worked at Boom Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with.
    Learned indirect marketing

Cons

$8/Hour vs Commission
    7:30am meetings were cool but didn't tell you if you are schedule to work until the day of.
    Inconsistent. Manager can take you off the schedule for a week whenever they want even two weeks off.
    If you do not want to own your own business within the company, you are wasting space.
    Employees quit or get fired every week. New people all the time.
    Manager is leaving the business soon and has not warn most people in the company about what will happen.
    80% of the people that work here do not make it.
    Random products you promote and sell.
    They say that they aren't salespeople but they are.

Advice to Management

Be more inspiring as a manager.

Slave away for pennies and empty promises.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Boom Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet a lot of younger people.
    Self reliant and control your own work pace.
    New job venue week to week.
    Learning new sales techniques that work.
    Fellow employees are all awesome.

Cons

- $8 /hr
    - sketchy paychecks (if you do a google search about "the smart circle," this seems to be a theme).
    - the schedule is all over the place, you don't know when you'll work until that day.

The list is endless so i'll save you some time and just search "the smart circle" and the plentiful complaints about the company are generally true. I did this when i first started and questioned the company from day 1. I also thought "man, these people just complained because they didn't want to work hard." However as time when on... a lot of the things the company told us wasn't necessarily true.

Dancer = stripper
    Direct marketing = Sales (they tell you they are looking for managers but in the end, numbers are what dictates how fast or successful you will be).

There are more in depth analysis of Smart Circle's companies out there and are easy to find but if you type in google "the smart circle, the first suggestion follows with "pyramid scheme," then the first 3 website available are www.glassdoor.com, ripoff report and complaints board... and not even their own website... some red flags should come about.

My biggest gripe about this company is people not being straight forward about things. This is something i've learned... it is sales and even though they tell you otherwise... if you can sell? You will do fantastic. However... you have to remember that whoever is above you... they're there because they are good at sales... being good at sales means being good at influencing others to believe and trust what you are saying. The people at the top are very good at manipulating words to get you to believe what they want you to see.

This type of company does not need to exist very long to make money... if they can go 8 months, that is an accomplishment. Then the company tanks, they rename it to some other name and do it all over again filling young naive college graduate's with empty promises and rinse and repeat.

Advice to Management

Just be more direct with the job.

10. DO NOT FALL INTO THIS SCHEME

Current Employee - Sales Person in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Person in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Boom Marketing part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

learned some sales techniques but not much else.

Cons

almost everything, they undermine education and say that there program is equivalent. very low respect of employees, will make you travel long distances and don't pay or gas, say here will be "commission" if we hit a target but never do and horrible schedule have no idea when you will be working

Advice to Management

don't sell a fake scheme be rel and show the real pros and cons

Waste of your life and time.

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Boom Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool people, everyone is young.
    Cool team environment.
    Makes you feel like you're doing something important.

Cons

8$ an hour VS Comission. Not $8 an hour plus commission. This means $8 an hour, don't let them convince you otherwise.
    There is no set schedule. They make it up when you get there at the 7:30 AM meeting everyday. There could be a 4 hour gap between the morning meeting and when you're scheduled to work and you will not know until you get there. This eliminates any possibility that you can work a second job. The only guarantee is that you will not work on Monday or Tuesday.
    They say they're going to teach you state of the art sales and marketing techniques but really what they teach you is to lie to the customer. Oh, and that 90% of people you will talk to will not want to buy what you are selling so the biggest part of the job is not getting discouraged that you are making $8 an hour.
    They bait you with the Assistant Manager title, claiming that you can make $40,000 to $50,000 a month after 6 months, but the only people working there have been there more than that and have not reached that position. In fact, nobody there had. They're all still making $8 an hour.
    They make you memorize pointless "systems" word for word that are meaningless and contradictory.

The list goes on.

I wish I had listened to the bad reviews on here and not the good ones before I devoted my time to this place.

Advice to Management

Change the commission system, and be up front with people about how much they're going to making. Also, make a schedule in advance so that people will know what they're working beforehand like a normal business. Also, stop giving people false hope because you're ruining lives.

RSS Feed </> Embed