Boom Marketing

Boom Marketing Reviews

Updated Feb 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Waste of your life and time.

Marketing Representative (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsCool people, everyone is young.
    Cool team environment.
    Makes you feel like you're doing something important.

Cons8$ an hour VS Comission. Not $8 an hour plus commission. This means $8 an hour, don't let them convince you otherwise.
    There is no set schedule. They make it up when you get there at the 7:30 AM meeting everyday. There could be a 4 hour gap between the morning meeting and when you're scheduled to work and you will not know until you get there. This eliminates any possibility that you can work a second job. The only guarantee is that you will not work on Monday or Tuesday.
    They say they're going to teach you state of the art sales and marketing techniques but really what they teach you is to lie to the customer. Oh, and that 90% of people you will talk to will not want to buy what you are selling so the biggest part of the job is not getting discouraged that you are making $8 an hour.
    They bait you with the Assistant Manager title, claiming that you can make $40,000 to $50,000 a month after 6 months, but the only people working there have been there more than that and have not reached that position. In fact, nobody there had. They're all still making $8 an hour.
    They make you memorize pointless "systems" word for word that are meaningless and contradictory.

The list goes on.

I wish I had listened to the bad reviews on here and not the good ones before I devoted my time to this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the commission system, and be up front with people about how much they're going to making. Also, make a schedule in advance so that people will know what they're working beforehand like a normal business. Also, stop giving people false hope because you're ruining lives.

Ehhhhh

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with.
    Learned indirect marketing

Cons$8/Hour vs Commission
    7:30am meetings were cool but didn't tell you if you are schedule to work until the day of.
    Inconsistent. Manager can take you off the schedule for a week whenever they want even two weeks off.
    If you do not want to own your own business within the company, you are wasting space.
    Employees quit or get fired every week. New people all the time.
    Manager is leaving the business soon and has not warn most people in the company about what will happen.
    80% of the people that work here do not make it.
    Random products you promote and sell.
    They say that they aren't salespeople but they are.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more inspiring as a manager.

Work with opportunity for growth and recognition

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsPlenty of hours and growth. No cap on performance incentives so I my paychecks have improved every week. Great team environment and training offered.

ConsPlenty of hours and a learning curve.

Advice to Senior Managementgive me more, I can handle it! Advice to other posters: not everything is for everyone. Don't post negative stuff on here if you got fired for not being able to follow simple protocol. I've never seen anyone let go for any less since I've been here. Learn from it and move on. Advice to future team members: remember ANYONE can post ANYTHING online.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

WORK WORK SLAVE AWAY

Team Manager (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsTravel. But way outside of your gas budget.

ConsEverything under the sun. Worked for them, got promoted, left because its a scam. DO NOT WORK FOR THEM. BAIT AND SWITCH

Advice to Senior ManagementBE HONEST

refuses to disclose information-bait and switch

Marketing "manager: (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

Prosnone-don't waste your time on this scam!

ConsBoom marketing spams craigslist with dozens of ads, then does a bait and switch with jobs. the company lures in people and wastes their time with minimum wage no skill jobs. The job consists of cold sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest because every single ad on craigslist will be flagged for removal

Fun, Exciting, Always something new.

Event Manager (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThis company is very positive and the employees are all really hard working and are good at what they do! The teaching and training program is a great way to keep learning and growing and get you motivated and moving towards management. Great group of people and awesome work ethic.

ConsWe definitely work a lot more than the average company, but that was explained.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish we all got to spend more time together as a team.

Manager Training Program

Team Leader (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

Pros-Developing and practicing skills on a daily basis
    -Training
    -Leadership
    -Fun environment
    -Ridiculous opportunities and growth potential.
    -You get to see what you're made of, and capable of becoming. I've personally seen people come in with little to nothing and advance through the program a better person, with a solid business background.

Cons-Hard work with occasional work/life balance out of whack
    -If you don't go all in, your skill development and paycheck won't be what you expected.

Honestly, most of the negative reviews come from people who didn't go all in, or think that the world somehow owes them something. If you're wanting a clock-in/clock-out kind of job, this isn't for you, and you won't flourish. This is for people who want to find out what they're worth, and want to become something more. The upside of this business is ridiculous (we literally have thousands of stores and dozens of products for these stores, and we simply don't have enough capable people to fill the spots); but you'll only make it through if you push and push hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more upfront in the beginning regarding how much hard work it will actually take. There's lots of focus on the potential to turn around and grow into a manager super quickly, but the time frame given is not always the norm; and many people get down on themselves about it at some point or another while in the field if they don't achieve this or that in the time they originally anticipated.

Under-promote, Over Deliver

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsI wake up earlier than everyone else in the morning because of the team environment, proven excellence, massive growth potential and minimal boring desk tasks.

ConsYou have to work hard for your rewards with this company. They are there but only for those who are willing to bring their best selves everyday for the client. This is the secret to our projected growth in 2013.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your foot on the gas.

Slave away for pennies and empty promises.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsMeet a lot of younger people.
    Self reliant and control your own work pace.
    New job venue week to week.
    Learning new sales techniques that work.
    Fellow employees are all awesome.

Cons- $8 /hr
    - sketchy paychecks (if you do a google search about "the smart circle," this seems to be a theme).
    - the schedule is all over the place, you don't know when you'll work until that day.

The list is endless so i'll save you some time and just search "the smart circle" and the plentiful complaints about the company are generally true. I did this when i first started and questioned the company from day 1. I also thought "man, these people just complained because they didn't want to work hard." However as time when on... a lot of the things the company told us wasn't necessarily true.

Dancer = stripper
    Direct marketing = Sales (they tell you they are looking for managers but in the end, numbers are what dictates how fast or successful you will be).

There are more in depth analysis of Smart Circle's companies out there and are easy to find but if you type in google "the smart circle, the first suggestion follows with "pyramid scheme," then the first 3 website available are www.glassdoor.com, ripoff report and complaints board... and not even their own website... some red flags should come about.

My biggest gripe about this company is people not being straight forward about things. This is something i've learned... it is sales and even though they tell you otherwise... if you can sell? You will do fantastic. However... you have to remember that whoever is above you... they're there because they are good at sales... being good at sales means being good at influencing others to believe and trust what you are saying. The people at the top are very good at manipulating words to get you to believe what they want you to see.

This type of company does not need to exist very long to make money... if they can go 8 months, that is an accomplishment. Then the company tanks, they rename it to some other name and do it all over again filling young naive college graduate's with empty promises and rinse and repeat.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust be more direct with the job.

Worked for Boom Marketing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boom Marketing reviews and ratings. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Boom Marketing employees.