BoomTown (South Carolina)

4.1

Grier Allen

Best job I've ever had

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management listens to it's employees and one person can actually trigger change.
    Great culture with upper management that believes in holding to the core values.
    People that truly believe in creating amazing experiences for client base.
    Coworkers are supportive.
    Lots of dogs in the office!

Cons

Has been a little clique-ish. Definite feel that there is a "central core" of the cool kids.
    Sometimes the "hands-off" attitude of management can backfire in that difficult situations are compounded by someone not stepping in at the right time.
    Definite concerns about professional growth of individual employees.

This is by far the best place I've ever worked. Be sure that this scales as we grow larger!

Fantastic, but the ship is leaving

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina)

Pros

The people at BoomTown make it, plain and simple. I have never worked with such smart, generous, and truly caring people. The culture is amazing, it's a great place to continue growing within your profession. The pay is pretty good for SC, though you could make plenty more elsewhere. Still, it has a work-life balance that is quite hard to beat.

Cons

Lack up upward mobility
    Lack of trust in current employees (let's hire some 'senior' guys now)
    hard to keep company culture at expansion rate

Trust your current employees more (promoting from within), keep those core values at the forefront (instead of just the front door), and don't let the culture fall through at the expense of business as usual.

Great company, but some growing pains

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

BoomTown hires quality people and has very intelligent developer. Flexible work hours. Get to work with new technologies. Company actually lives its values. Good community with a great culture. Over all, BoomTown is a fantastic place to work.

Cons

Managers spend all of their attention on a small number of employees, others are left in the cold. Not much career development. No parking. Weakish benefits.

Don't pick favorites and only include that small group in planning. Give all employees development opportunities. Other than that, keep doing what you're doing!

This company's culture can't be beat!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hands down, best place I've ever worked. Managers do not micro-manage. They work with you to create amazing experiences for the clients and the employees. Everyone truly loves the work they do. Active lunch hours. All co-workers are extremely helpful and inviting to new comers. Pet friendly. Lots of chances to participate in community outreach programs together as a business.

Cons

I wouldn't even say parking is a con. We are right next to Hampton Park which has plenty of parking.

Keep on doing what you're doing, cause it's working! Continue to stay invested in the employees lives and continue to seek and share knowledge!!

Fun, but too much forced company promotion

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart developers, new technology, cool office, lots of organized events, challenging work.

Cons

Within my first couple days there, I was basically told that I had to tweet about how great the company was - and post on fb as much as possible. They are very concerned about keeping their 'This place is great' perception. What an amazing coincidence that 3 reviews all appears on Glassdoor on Jan 17th all talking about how wonderful it is. The company does things like that all the time to appear a much better place than it is. So be careful about what you're expecting!

The company uses peer pressure to make you participate in more events than you'll want to. It feels like a fraternity quite a bit as the team seems to be proud of how much they drink all the time.

Get the fraternity leaders back in check and get back to the core of the fun environment that existed over a year ago.

Easily the best place I've ever worked

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Talented, friendly people
    - Chance to work with modern web technologies
    - Flexible schedules and unlimited vacation
    - Individual empowerment and room for lots of opinions
    - Next to Hampton Park and Moe's
    - Beer

Cons

- Parking situation is challenging at times
    - Growing company so sometimes things can be chaotic as far as leadership and structure

Continue to preserve the fantastic work environment and employees will flourish. It's challenging to maintain a small company feel when the company grows, but so far, you are doing a fantastic job.

Awesome

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great group
    -Work with friends
    -Located next to Hampton Park
    -Wellness Program
    -Benefits & 401k
    -Outdoor garden area
    -Young workforce
    -Free beer!
    -Laid back atmosphere with casual dress code
    -Lunch & Learns
    -Booze & Books Club
    -Live by core values
    -Growing, but still has small company feel
    -Company doing well
    -Lots of people getting promoted from within
    -Great product with raving client fans
    -Diverse group of people and backgrounds
    -Work in Charleston
    -Employee and family events
    -Smart people!
    -Cornhole!
    -Team lunches
    -Kitchen with stove, fridge, ice machine, and freezer

Cons

-The parking situation is not ideal
    -There could be a more concerted effort for all-around employee growth and professional development.

-Keep doing what your doing, but remember to keep in touch with your entire employee base. It's one of the reasons we came here and love it here.

-Don't let the company's success cloud your judgement moving forward. We can always keep improving.

-Remember the work that EVERY department puts in.

Great company, culture and people

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great work environment
    if you invest in the people, they will invest in you. family culture.
    management leads by example and they are next to you, not on top of you.
    work hard play hard atmosphere (love that people play sports/exercise together
    the technology changes peoples lives
    core values are lived out by almost everyone at the company

Cons

start ups have growing pains and values, systems communication will always need to be improving. are you part of the solution or the problem?
    the company is growing at a rapid pace and core values may get lost but need to keep it going!

Keep stickin to our core values no matter what

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team atmosphere. Fun culture. Great values. Excellent leadership. Amazing vision. Flexible hours including working from home. No micro-management. Every one has a get-stuff-done attitude. Everyone is given the power to make meaningful decisions to get their job done. Flexible work spaces. Not required to sit at a desk in a cubicle.

Cons

At times it can get a little rowdy and loud from people zinging nerf darts at each other or having a drink at the bar, but there are plenty of quiet spaces where people can go to if needed.

Do a better job of communicating the company vision and direction on a more regular basis.

It's got a good culture, but ...

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Small Company
    Small Team
    Beer on tap!
    Varying technology
    Some smart developers!
    Fast paced work environment
    Air hockey

Cons

Fragmented Technology
    Small fish in a big market
    Too many big personalities
    QA a little weak
    Some loooong hours
    All the 'culture' can be a little distracting when you're trying to work.

I love the culture but I'm not sure I see the place in the market long term for the company.

BoomTown (South Carolina) Photos