Boostability

Updated December 15, 2014
3.8

Boostability CEO Travis Thorpe
Travis Thorpe

Pros
  • The culture and the work environment is very positive and they make it so you want to come to work (in 9 reviews)

• The company is growing quickly and is seeing a lot of financial success (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They use old school SEO tactics that have been frowned upon for some time (in 6 reviews)

• Getting to be a "full-time" employee is very difficult as they do not want to have to give you benefits (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Best job of my career

I have been working at Boostability full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I started working here a few months ago and have never loved a job more. The culture is amazing and so are the people. Ping Pong and Foosball breaks are the norm around here, along with free soda, subsidized snacks, awesome company parties and a super relaxed environment. Everyone I have talked to loves it here, has friends and spouses that work here, and overall act like one big family.

The executive team is pretty amazing. After my first week here they served soda floats personally to the employees, played basketball, games, and Frisbee with everyone to get to know all of us. I was totally blown away. I have never met a CEO that cares that much about the day to day people. They listen to ideas, are open to suggestions, and take input very seriously. They love to hear about how to improve the company and grow the business from the employees and have held town hall meetings before to encourage the input.

The benefit package is pretty amazing as well. PTO and holiday pay is as competitive and the health insurance is pretty amazing, especially for the price.

I plan to make a career at Boost because the growth opportunities are amazing. They were on Deseret's top 50 places to work (#34), they were on the INC 500 Fastest Growing Company list, and won Utah Valley's Fastest Growing Company two years in a row. We are projected to double in size and already serving global markets. The opportunities are endless here.

I can't say enough good things about my experience so far and how much I love the people I work with everyday, but more importantly I love my job and plan to be here for a very long time.

Cons

They didn't have a 401k plan when I started but they just announced they are introducing one in 2015.

Great place to work when compared with others.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I have been working at Boostability full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility in scheduling, development opportunity, great market to be in, decent leadership.

Cons

Just like most employers in this area, the pay is terrible here. I believe they call it "competitive," which is another way of saying that they pay about the same as everyone else. The area has A TON of young educated people, which seems to drive down the wages to a very low level.

Break the mold when it comes to wages. Don't do what everyone else in the area is doing. Stand out from your competitors by paying well above the average wage for similar positions of responsibility. Break that mold and you'll truly have something extraordinary.

Boostability Is an Amazing Company

Current Employee - Supervisor in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Boostability full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Boost is an awesome company, I have worked many places and not 1 other company has provided random treats like, renting out movie theaters for brand new movies that employees can see free, the amount of free lunches is astounding, as well as the incentives and rewards that are given out. Boost also gives everyone the opportunity to grow just as the company grows.

I have had many of my own employes advance in the the short amount of time I have been here, this company is a great company to work for!

Cons

I have no cons about Boostabiltiy

Keep doing what you are doing!

Boostability Response

Dec 5, 2014Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking some time to share your feedback. We are proud to have employees that are able to step up to the challenge that the growth of our business provides.

"Get your feet wet, but don't dive in!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in American Fork, UT
    Former Employee - Account Manager in American Fork, UT

I worked at Boostability full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a young, boot strapped company at the time, Boostability was a great way to launch my career! I had the opportunity to work across several departments and build some great relationships with those I would call mentors. I was able to leverage my time at Boostability to gain awesome career opportunities. There was a great sense of team building but the sales dept. often over sold clients on deliverables that were not feasible for the low monthly SEO campaign spend ($300-$500/mo).

Cons

The fulfillment team is pretty green and not extremely well versed in up to date SEO tactics. They encouraged internal bloggers to use exact match anchor text in blog posts that were highly irrelevant and low quality. Boostability provides very little value past the initial 6 months of a campaign. Also, their account managers were over worked and tasked with managing 50+ accounts at a time. Management was prone to talking behind backs and gossip. Some of the most knowledgeable employees moved on to better opportunities to be replaced by less competent employees.

Slow down on the growth and focus on building more value into your services and processes. Bigger doesn't mean better and remember... quality > quantity :)

Great place to work with awesome opportunities for growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Boostability full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture here is great. Pay and Benefits are competitive and better than other companies I have worked for. I love the opportunity for growth and the flexibility Boostability provides. For me, the biggest pro is being in a position and at a company where you actually look forward to going to work on Monday.

Cons

There are some inexperienced managers and that brings challenges, but I think the opportunity that provides far outweighs any challenges it brings.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Fulfillment in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Fulfillment in Orem, UT

I have been working at Boostability part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Boostability is an amazing company to work for. Besides having great company values, they also value their employees. They are a very innovative, and modern company that offer many perks. The culture and the work environment is very positive and they make it so you want to come to work. You are not just a number typing away, they are constantly working with you on a personal leverl and as a member of their team. They are very professional and flexible, it is a great dynamic. . I am truly sad to be leaving!

Cons

The only con is the variety of shifts provided.

Fast growing training facility/startup success consistently running into growing pains.

I have been working at Boostability full-time

Pros

Very friendly culture, closeness among the ranks is important and they seem to hire a lot of friendly people. They surround you with good team leads and direct supervisors who are usually available for training/questions. A lot of the team leads and direct management are quite capable and drama generally isn't a factor. The work life balance is great unless you're on a key project that needs to shine (extra work on these is always voluntary). They plan on getting a better PTO/health plan within a year. If you don't fit somewhere but are a good worker/employee, they'll place you somewhere you can do well and grow.

Cons

The benefits and salary are currently below average. Only 11 days of PTO allotted in the first year (which includes sick days). PTO increases the longer you've worked there (16 for two years and 21 for three, which according to wikipedia 21 is the general average for just one year employed).
    Make sure to get salaried upon hiring, because otherwise it's a huge step and advancement takes a while. A 90 day review was mentioned upon my hire and I wasn't bumped up for almost 1.5 years (in spite of phenomenal reviews from each manager during that time). No stock options for employees to this booming company that will most likely continue to grow.

As a growing company Boostability can no longer afford hiring friends and family to key positions for which they may have not be fully qualified (there is so much talent within the organization).

Decent company, that doesn't know how to adapt

I have been working at Boostability full-time

Pros

Fun work environment, great co-workers. Decent benefits, good training. Relaxed management, most of the time. Time-off for non-salaried employees is great, but salaried employees get screwed. Great growth opportunities in a growing company.

Cons

Upper management is sleazy and dishonest. The lower level guys really care about you, but executives at this company need to re-evaluate their priorities, as far as their employees are concerned. They're constantly trying to find ways to belittle and discount their employees concerns.

Give competitive wages, more congruent with the market. Employees at most other tech companies are compensated far better than Boostability employees. Listen to your employees concerns. You don't have to change at every outcry, but at least validate them and address them. Overall it's a great place to work, I just wish employees felt more care from upper management.

Depends on the day

Current Employee - SEO Specialist in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - SEO Specialist in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Boostability full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good room for growth. Okay Pay.

Cons

No one really listens to anyone, problems always arise but no one seems to know what to do about them. They grew too quickly and are now experiencing immense growing pains.

Listen to your employees. You like to pretend you do, or pretend you're concerned, but there's a reason your seasoned employees won't even stick around.

I used to love my job.

I have been working at Boostability full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love that I was able to quickly move up in the company and to learn a ton of skills from my coworkers.

Cons

The department that I'm currently working in is a joke; there is one person calling all the shots blindly for a huge process part of Boostability, and has not even met the employees part of the process, or even considered others opinions specializing in the process. That particular person has rapidly changed the process multiple times on us without forewarning, and created multiple disasters because of it. We are not listened to from upper-management, and that's not how it used to be, the company used to hear us out and make us feel valued as employees, we really felt pride working here because we were valued, and now we are ignored and treated like we know nothing.

There is a huge problem with management being inappropriate with me and other employees. I'm not easily offended in any way, but they have constantly crossed the line with rude sexual comments about me, as well as their sexual nature. I know of former employees that have complained to HR before and management just got a slap on the hand for what they did and the employees that were offended just ended up quitting because they didn't feel comfortable. I no longer feel pride for working here, I feel that my gender and my statues have been held against me multiple times and made jokes of. I have been looking for new work tirelessly to get out of this toxic environment.

Listen to the people working for you; you hired them because they are smart, trust that. STOP letting people make rude and sexual jokes about themselves and others, and VALUE the people under you or they will take their talents somewhere else.

Boostability Response

Dec 5, 2014CEO

We take any sort of harassment very seriously. Please contact HR with your concerns so we can correct this behavior immediately. I am very interested in learning what we can do to help you love ... More