Boots

Boots Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts

Simon Roberts

Pros:
  • "The staff discount on all other products is fair but not great"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Other staff are friendly; wage is decent; discount card is generous; customers who shop there are generally friendly too"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "The long hours culture that is just expected"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Lack of opportunity to progress"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

poor company policies

Manchester, England (UK)

Prosyour collagues who work to help you and vice versa strong friendships

Conslack of staff, struggling to dispense doing three people,s jobs at once too many interuptions while trying to give out important medication, dangerously unsafe for both staff and customers

Advice to Senior Managementlong service not treated with respect any more, making sure staff are not working extra time for nothing and coming in on days off and holidays to cover the workload

I love my job but find it hard to actually do my job

Customer Assistant (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsAlthough I filled out the cons section first and their are a lot of them I do still love my job. I love the people that I work with, they are the reason I stay, I've met one of my best friends at boots. The pay for being a student is extremely competitive and when they do offer extra hours its great. I know that there are many jobs that would be worse and I do count my blessings that I work where I do.

ConsI love my job but find it hard to actually do my job, due to how many staff have left over the years with more and more staff leaving and none being replaced. We get very few christmas temps and they often start too late and are let go when we need people. We are expected to run around and do the work of several members of staff. All we constantly hear is that there isn't enough money in the budget but especially during the week and in the evenings there are times when there are no staff at all on front tills and no one to serve on healthcare. I know that there are many jobs that would be worse and I do count my blessings that I work where I do. However I don't know if I could handle working their full time, the full time staff seem pushed to breaking point over our staffing issues.

I feel like the lazy staff get away with it and the hard working staff get pushed to work harder. Staff often hide in the stock room or the toilets, never answer the bell and ring in sick constantly just because they want a day off. They get to chat away and work together and yet whenever I try to work with or talk to other colleagues we always get separated. When we've finished our jobs we get given more jobs to add to our list instead of getting the lazy staff to actually do their jobs in the first place.

I also feel that there is less respect for certain sections of the store. When certain people are away on holiday their sections are looked after with top priority and yet others come back to there section trashed. In particular self selection is completely ignored by all staff and left completely trashed if the staff member that runs that section is off. I struggle to understand the level of priority with delivery, her delivery is often left, two weeks worth of delivery can build up for her to come back to. This wouldn't be allowed with any other part of the store but because they know she works so hard they know she can catch up, its completely unacceptable.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel in general there is a real lack of morale. Everyone is tried and exhausted, all we do is moan and complain. Management just keep squeezing and squeezing more and more out of us. We all feel that there are no rewards, no one ever says well done or praises us. There are some members of staff who work so hard, day in day out and truly deserve to be appreciated and yet they never get a thank you. We're not asking for a bonus or a gift literally just a thank you every once in a while would be so appreciated.

Unfair, time wasting and unfulfilling

Healthcare Advisor (Former Employee)
    Bromley, England (UK)

ProsThe idea on studying and training to maximize your full potential whilst there. I was trained in Healthcare. Prior to this, already had experience in health and Beauty

ConsIf only store managers would apply the rules set out for fairness and took the time to evaluate our strengths in order to help us move forwards within the company. Instead of being rewarded for my accomplishments such as completing my healthcare course, particularly during my lunch hours whilst working overtime, I was put on cash and wrap to soothe the egos of fellow workers who were envious.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make sure that wages and overtime is paid on time.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pressure

BBA (Current Employee)
    Caernarfon, Wales (UK)

ProsPart of a family ,training ,holidays

ConsWoking for this company for 30years,getting to see it start to loose what its known for .somewhere customers trust and get advice now staff are just too thin on the ground to have time .

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your staff ,our bonuses where snatched away at 3weeks notice we where set performance reviews we hit what you set but our bonus was cancelled,it makes you feel like you are not valued for going that extra mile

challenging, rewarding, challenging!

Pharmacy Dispenserr (Current Employee)
    Bristol, England (UK)

Prosamazing colleagues, real team spirit and an okay discount system. I am currently training as a pharmacy technician which is very interesting but is done primarily out of work hours which is eating up all of my spare/free time.

Conswhen the going gets tough, there's little to no support for struggling stores despite customer and staff reminders. We need more in store visits from area and regional managers.

Advice to Senior Managementplease heed more to the cries of stores that are working overtime to the max and still struggling. And place managers that can't handle busy stores in quieter ones as the wrong manager can cause staff to leave a team seeking transfers.

Good co-workers, strange job roles and lack of morale

Sales Assistant/Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsGreat discounts, fairly nice uniform and good banter. Good incentives with the W-O-W initiative when I was there if someone filled in a review of you that was positive. The training was really interesting - I liked learning about the history of Boots - especially that the pharmacy is responsible for the current ready availability of ibuprofen in the UK.

ConsI was originally s sales assistant but was also given a joint role of Customer Care Assistant. This role was extremely tedious as all I was allowed to do was greet customers and ask them if I could help them find anything. My store was in an airport branch which meant we were not the biggest store. I did manage to help people find what they wanted quickly however during quiet periods I was not allowed to help stock shelves which meant I was meant to stand for sometimes hours on end doing nothing by smiling. This was mentally exhausting. Also the previously mentioned W-O-W incentives are great but rely soley on customers taking the time to fill in a review. Now as a customer I mean to fill these things but I never get round to it. Employees should also be frequently praised and rewarded by management to make sure they feel valued. There was problems with morale when I was at my branch for those who had been there longer - they did not feel appreciated for the shifts they did. I worked at the branch during extreme snow winter weather where it was advised by police not to travel. I was pressured to go into work by my manager and that if i did not - despite living an hours drive away - that this would jeopardise my job. I made the dangerous journey to work only to find the airport was shut down and management (who lived 10 mins away) had not bothered to show up themselves. I was then made to feel like I shouldn't have made the journey. Despite the store being shut down, no management being around and no flights going out - we were still expected to work our shift in the departures lounge with nothing to do as no deliveries had managed to get through. I moved on shortly afterwards.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more frequent incentives for sales staff to up their game and make sure they feel valued for the effort that is being put in.

good in the beginning but getting worse now

Prosboots discount is good idea

Consif you have kids then you get time off even its posible, but if you dont have kids then it may be possible

Mixed feelings

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with some lovely people on the shop floor, the team is diverse and there is a great sense of camaraderie.
    Discount rates are fair and double discount days are an added bonus.
    Pay was reasonable at the time I worked there.
    Holiday was always fairly considered; within reason, every effort was made to ensure members of staff received time off for any special events (e.g. wedding or honeymoon)

ConsI found the uniform to be impractical and uncomfortable; on hot days this was more apparent.
    The store I worked in was too hot, we regularly received complaints from customers about this but were continually told the problem was "in hand" despite the fact that there was little to no improvement during the four years I worked there.
    Training was computer based but trying to find time away from the shop floor to do this was difficult. Sometimes we were asked to complete training in our time off; this has a negative affect on work/life balance.
    Bureaucracy is an issue within the company; it seems the managers are not often allowed to use personal discretion. There is lots of red tape, particularly with regards to sickness procedures; I know many people felt reluctant to take time off sick when in genuine need because the 'return to work' procedure made the staff feel as if they were being scrutinised too closely, I would have thought a health and beauty retailer would better understand the importance of time off to convalesce when suffering from contagious illness.
    I found the managers rarely "led by example", with many reprimanding staff for poor behaviour such as talking amongst themselves on the shop floor but continuing to do so themselves. This had a negative affect on morale.
    Organisation of rotas was generally good but on several occasions, I found the store to be under-staffed. On one occasion in particular, I was manning the till bank alone for the last hour of the day and had to call Operations staff from their tasks to clear building queues.
    In general, there is not enough praise for hard work and initiative shown by the staff, this leads to people demonstrating a lack of care for their role (I have noticed this increasingly in the years since leaving the company, having always shopped there as a customer, I feel drawn to rival businesses now where service is better)

Advice to Senior ManagementChanges to the uniform would allow staff to feel more comfortable (I suggest a more breathable fabric as this would be cooler)
    Taking complaints about the environment in store more seriously, whether they are from staff or customers, this is a serious issue.
    Allowing more business hours to ensure that training can be completed in a timely fashion, rather than rushing to meet compulsory training deadlines.
    Less bureaucracy; excessive 'red tape' has a negative impact on morale which affects customer service. A review of the return to work procedure (i.e. is this necessary for every illness or is manager's discretion best implemented here? The process should apply to ongoing illness or sporadic attendance at work, rather than every time a member of staff is unwell as this takes staff away from the customers)
    Rotas to be checked by another manager so mistakes can be picked up on and corrected in advance, avoiding under-staffing and therefore reducing customer complaints.
    More recognition for staff who do their jobs well; this will boost morale and have a positive impact on morale. When I was there, a recognition scheme ran through to busy Christmas period, but perhaps this could be extended to the rest of the year? Hard work should always be recognised.

Going nowhere

Pharmacy Dispenser (Current Employee)
    Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Prosdiscount, double discount days before xmas, working as a team great ppl to work with.

ConsBeing overlooked for training and moving forward, you get no thanks for working hard. no extra pay for hols or overtime. always wanting more from you when you are giving your all.

Challenging, but don't get the rewards

Denbigh, Wales (UK)

ProsGood discount, good team to work with.

ConsStaff cut down to the bare minimum, not really appreciated at what you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more staff.

Worked for Boots? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boots reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boots CEO Simon Roberts. All 127 reviews posted anonymously by Boots employees.