Boots

Updated February 21, 2015
3.6

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts
Simon Roberts

Pros
  • Staff discount was good and always felt appreciated as an employe (in 25 reviews)

• Always had good discount for Boots products and double discount days for staff (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and not enough FTE mean that quite often the store has long queues (in 11 reviews)

• customer service ethic disappears beyond the application and interview (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

1st great 2nd year not so great

Former Employee - Finance Analyst in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Finance Analyst in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great benefits including decent holiday allowance, bonus, flexible working, working from home ocassionly

Cons

poor IT systems, Forced distribution performance management meaning even if your doing your job your ranked against the rest of your team so potentially you could rated below expectations. Ie 10% placed in exceeding expectations, 10% below, and say 40/40 either approaching or meeting expectations, face has to fit.

stop using out dated performance management tools.

Mar 3, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. We will escalate this insight further.

Feel good culture that shines through to our people & customers.

Current Employee - Learning and Development in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Learning and Development in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ability to move to different departments & locations.
    Work Levels of senerotiy L1-7.
    The feeling of being apart of something huge.
    History & heritage.
    No:1 for customer care
    Good management

Cons

Overall Boots is a great company to work for but I would like to see more training workshops and sessions for our Customer Assistants.

Provide support office employees with a clear PDP to reach the next work level

Jan 12, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with Boots UK. Keep up the great work.

A very optimistic future

Current Employee - Support Office in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Support Office in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots

Pros

A great company with a brilliant past and future. Good package and benefits. I work with a great team who always strive to be at their best. I would recommend you take a look if you want a challenge and interesting opportunities.

Cons

Long hours and high pressure are the main challenges but other than that I don't have too many issues with my job.

Jan 8, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are glad to hear you are enjoying your employment with Boots.

Love working for Boots!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really proud that we always put customers first in all that we do, their needs really lead our decision making.
    Great opportunity to progress within the business and support from senior leaders in personal development.
    Great atmosphere at work and open plan office make being at work enjoyable.
    Cheesy I know but everyone is genuinely lovely to work with. Everyone cares about each other.
    Staff discount is great and the rewards offered to colleagues that do a great job such as recognition schemes/bonus etc

Cons

Salary isn't the most competitive but this is likely due to Nottingham location vs London.
    IT systems are terrible and this sometimes prevents us from doing our job in the best way.
    Some teams are still quite hiarchical which makes decision making and project ownership sometimes difficult.

Dec 2, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments.

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good people that work here.
    - Good company to work for.
    - A lot of opportunities.
    - Good discount card scheme.

Cons

- Poor salary progression/rewards process - needs to be improved.
    - Too slow to implement anything.
    - Too many processes. No trust to actually deliver.
    - Too political.

Improve salary progression for young people (and others) coming into your business. Salaries are not in line with other companies in the market. A lot of people leaving due to higher salaries elsewhere.

Dec 2, 2014

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our employees are the key to our success. We aim to pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all feel they are respected ... More

World's Leading Pharmacy based Health and Beaty Retailer

Current Employee - Supply Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supply Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good training and support for new joins to the company and good opportunites for growth via the internal PDP system

Cons

In the Customer Support Centre each day can be challenging but varied when dealing with demanding loyal customers on a daily basis but overall helping the customers is the main priority for the business to feel good and is rewarding especially during the busy xmas trading period

Cross functional working groups across the customer support centre, warehouse and main support office could enable white collar staff and blue collar staff to fully understand the importance of everyones role within the supply chain working hard together as one team for the stores and customers

Dec 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We appreciate your feedback. Keep up the good work!

Don't bother working for R&D

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time

Pros

Maybe Pay? Discounts if you really love that sort of thing, but even then it is not worth it. The interview is fun, it's like a chat with friends in a coffee shop.

Cons

People that have left school and work for the company are R&D managers for some reason? What is that all about? You are under tremendous pressure to create a thousand and one ideas which in their own words will 'filter down a funnel' to one or two ideas that will sell really well. Yeah, because that's definitely the way to make money! Not! Managers are seriously underqualified and solipsists. Also they require highly educated and skilled people to do menial tasks. Expect people to stab you in the back for personal gain, yet smile for the camera. Enjoy being trodden on by management and receiving no support whatsoever. I was told 'I've heard this all before' and they are not interested in your or your wellbeing. Most people stay for a year or less, with some people making it to two years before moving on, it is that bad. In the interview they will say some people have been here for years, they are the people that came there after leaving school and have nowhere else to go. The products are poor and not very innovative which is not surprising, prices are expensive for what they are.

Restructure R&D, get rid of your stupid funnels and idiots that think they know everything at the top. Come up with better more commercially focused streamlined ideas. Stop making R&D bear the brunt of the companies poor sales record. Introduce new brands and lines and utilise R&D better than just adding additional external brands for thinner profit margins. Stop believing that people will pay through the roof for the 'experience' of walking into a shop, this is the age of the internet. Also the only information your marketing dept. use is from the advantage cards, ie. people that already shop with you (who will tell you everything is great). Try using information from people that don't shop in boots as well!

Dec 5, 2014

We very much appreciate you sharing your views and take these kinds of comments seriously. We’re committed to being the best employer out there, and your feedback helps us reach that commitment.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My experience working in Boots Support Office has been really good. I join two years ago as a Recruitment Administrator in the Recruitment Service Center where I was able to develop my skills in various roles I undertook within only a year working in this area. I then moved into the HR Co-ordinator role, which I found particularly interesting due to the complexity of this role. I realise how many, various and interesting opportunities there are in Boots Head Office and there is plenty of room for development and training.

Cons

I don't have any negative comments so far.

Keep up the good work!

Good company to work for

Current Contractor - Healthcare Advisor in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Healthcare Advisor in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

friendly and helpful managers, were very considerate about my disability (arthritis in wrists), for example allowing me to perform different tasks on days when I was experiencing pain.

Cons

I would like to be able to take more frequent (but shorter) breaks, e.g. 3 x 20min breaks instead of having to take 1 hour.
    I do not like the fact that if you have to void something during a transaction (which is almost always beyond your control, e.g if a customer changes their mind about buying an item) the company sees this as a loss and you get in trouble. It isn't a loss at all if the item hasn't even left the premises!
    As a nil hours employee who still works pretty often I would like to be entitled to a staff discount card!

I started as a Sales Assistant but also trained on the No7 mini badge and am a trained Healthcare Advisor... it would be nice if this sort of thing would be reflected in your hourly rate as it increased my workload/ expectations from managers, with no recognition of this!

Good company, chance for growth.

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work life balance was good, chance for promotions to hard workers, good benefits and perks, especially in discounts and free products occasionally given out.

Cons

Starting to be a little more micro-managed which is never a good thing, the pay is sub-par and should be better. The software is horribly outdated.

The company changes a lot which leads to confusion and disappointment on the Customer Support Centre floor through lack of communication.