Boots

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts

Simon Roberts

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

exciting, challenging, rewarding

Pharmacy Dispenser (Current Employee)
    Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsKnowing that we are putting our customers first and always try our best to meet thier needs, Working with a great team of people. Working for a well known company a trusted brand, pride in the company Rewarded for achievements bonus for meeting targets, and of course staff discount

ConsStaffing levels at times to tight, we do try and plug the holes with extra duties but this at times just is not enough and to much overtime becomes to much especially when you are fulltime we arent forced to do this , because of our commitment to our business we feel we should,

Advice to Senior Managementfigures can be made to look anyway you want them to look, beaware there is life other than Boots and no i personally dont think we should have hours that are not required but when we say we are struggling listen, We are providing a service which should be better than the best, we are BOOTS

I find it a challenge but also rewarding.

First Line Technical Analyst - Service Operations Retail Desk (Current Employee)
    Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsThe main reason to work a Boots in because of all the people and benefits of jobs security and help and support available.

ConsLearning and developing yourself and knowing how to deliver the best customer experiance ever

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more support for people going through very hard times and making fund available to support employee's that have only been on a boots contract for 2 months but have worked within the company for months under agencies.

Head Office is politically motivated, it's all about ego and being young.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsThe wonderful colleagues and friends I made working there. It's many months since I left and I still keep in touch with a lot of Boots people. There are lots of very talented people in Boots who just don't realise their value in the outside market.

ConsThe appraisal process called performance leadership. It's about how well you get on with your boss and how much they like you not about objective review of outputs. Some of the middle managers are amazing and many are just worried about looking impressive to their boss.
    The long hours culture that is just expected. It was fine before I had a child and it became too difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some really honest feedback from your grass roots workers then you'll really find out what's going on.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst place I have ever worked at HQ.

Anonymous (Current Employee)
    Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsThey pay a decent salary
    Coworkers great bull all dissatisfied
    Cakes everywhere

ConsYour life will be sucked out of you
    They expect if you are on more than someone else you will be worked into the ground for it
    They take highly skilled people and make you do menial jobs
    The people in charge think they are perfect and you are less than them
    Really bad at people management, they will expect you to come in, work like a slave and regardless of what your title says you are a skivvy, you will be fired to be replaced by someone who will simply churn out more.
    You will be lied to, your work will not be varied or fun, but mundane and repetitive.
    Attitude there is purile.
    You will be told people stay there for a long time, not true there is a very high turnover in D19 / Technical Centre, if you do not believe me simply check out the linkedin profile timelines of current and former employees.
    Getting off site at head office can take you an hour or more simply to get out of the site due to poor traffic management.
    Really slow in paying what they promise you, takes 3 months to get a relocation bursary.
    Worked since I was 16, worst job I have ever had due to extremely poor management, ridiculous expectations and the attitude that management is perfect and the purile and arrogant attitude of the line managers.
    You may work longer hours, harder and meet all your targets and time plans, time keeping impeccable etc. Never once told that your work is good or valued.
    Everyone else around you is job hunting - what does that say about the place?
    Progression is slow - they expect you to work 5 years before you are considered to be promoted
    Bonuses are non-existent due to the poor management.
    Employees are not valued whatsoever, the high salary does not warrant the poor working conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement staff need to be taught how to manage and treat people. The hiring process needs to be updated to be more honest and that the right person is employed for the right job, if menial then you need a school leaver to fill the position rather than a highly skilled person.

It is better to have one good commercially viable idea than push out thousands for the sake of it.

Boots, great company to work at.

Junior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsVery oriented on Training, great culture.

ConsVery very structured, sometimes can be a pain

Inconsistent Approach to Colleagues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company values
    Customer focused
    Regular pay days
    Good discounts

ConsCompany values are constantly discussed - these values are not always delivered from the top of the organisation
    Low pay compared to other similar roles with other companies - hard to gain worklife balance, it's the norm to work all hours to constantly deliver
    It takes more than company discount to retain employees

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency is a challenge for your focus - particularly performance rating within teams.
    The new Boots approach has changed the way people feel about working for you.
    People feel undervalued.

Passionate about customers

Senior IT Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsPassionate about customers, too often forgets about people. Company has a great culture and some great people

ConsI'm sure like any organisation they sometimes forget about those on the front line.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop politics, stop personal egos and focus on your people!

Good training and good work environment.

Specialist (Former Employee)
    Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsComprehensive knowledge of the retail sector.

Consminimum exposure to diversify into different skills.

Worked for Boots? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boots reviews and ratings in Nottingham, England — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boots CEO Simon Roberts. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Boots employees.