Boots Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
3.3

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts
Simon Roberts

Pros
  • Staff discount was good and always felt appreciated as an employe (in 18 reviews)

• that never see you stuck, good discount compared to other retail stores (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours culture that is just expected (in 7 reviews)

• Training was computer based but trying to find time away from the shop floor to do this was difficult (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Lovely people

Current Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at boots for 2 years whilst studying. I loved it. Great people and I was sad to leave.

Cons

Nothing bad to say about my experience

Keep it up!

Customer Assistant

Current Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Durham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Durham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with a brilliant staff team in the Arnison Centre retail park store in Durham, Serving new customers all through the day and making customers happy, Enjoy working there, I am aged 17 and male and my pay rate per hour for my age is very good, Lots of overtime is given to staff during busy periods such as summer and christmas, Brilliant atmosphere to work in. Overall i am overly satisfied with my part time job as a customer assistant at boots at the present moment in time.

Cons

Personal growth and developing my future potential is currently unknown due to being only 17 years old. I would take any opportunity given to me to develop into a promotion. It can be challenging dealing with customers who are not happy no matter how much effort you try to put into it, but never the less it is very few customers who are like that. Budgets can be very hard to control and can be cut short.

One point i would like to improve within Boots is the Advantage card system. (Loyalty card). I believe that the physical form of putting the advantage card through the machine at the moment is not good enough due to it being chip faced upwards on the card and with there being two separate types of ad cards, The majority of customers will always assume that the card goes logo faced upwards whereas it is actually the card faced backwards with the magnetic chip facing upwards towards the till. It can be tiring to have to inform every customer the same information.

interesting, and exhilarating

Current Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Fowey, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Fowey, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time for less than a year

Pros

really friendly staff, and a lovely company to work for

Cons

dealing with arrogant and rude customers

keep with how your going, team management is great!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The friendliest, most welcoming place I've ever worked.

Current Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time for less than a year

Pros

Such a fantastic place to work: my colleagues are so helpful and great to work with and the managers are organised and supportive which is so encouraging. Staff discounts are great - 22.5% for Boots own products and 12.5% for everything else. When I first started at Boots, the guidance and training I recieved from my managers meant I could speak to customers with confidence about the store's products.

Cons

Sometimes too much is expected of you - too many tasks are given out in a day, especially when short staffed. Big focus on Feel Good Moments - when working in a very small and extremely busy store, customers are mostly too busy even take a reciept, nevermind listen to the feedback form.

As the new Boots app has been released, I think it would be more advantageous to send the Feel Good Moment forms to the customers account to allow staff at the tills to focus on the customer. Updating Boots systems would allow the company to be much more effecient - new till systems for example.

I enjoy going to work most days , I like the store I'm in, we have a good team .

Current Employee - Health Care Advisor  in  Gosport, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Health Care Advisor in Gosport, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great staff discounts , Good rates of pay, I work with a good team who are fun ,friendly and surportive. I'm able to work Mon - Fri .

Cons

We don't have enough staff in our store , some people have left / moved to other store and we haven't had them replaced . Some days can be very challenging because if this .
    The uniform isn't very weather friendly .

Put money into more staffing in stores , (not just mine) , If you have the staff in place shop liftting would go down and would save the company lots of lost money .

Make amazing friends and co-workers that help you out no matter what!

Current Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Gatwick, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Gatwick, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time for less than a year

Pros

you make good friends. you get a briefing on your store on how its doing in the market and its products, how much is selling, profits and loss made and what they could do and employees could do in order to improve. you get bonuses on how well you did and from getting feel good moments from customer care. pay rise after three months after probation. Boots really do value thier customers and i found this out after i forked from them. a gread deal of team work and managers are always roaming arund to see if everyones doing thier job and to see what there is to do so they could inform thier employee they this is to be done... there is no time limit and managers are really chilled out however at busy moments they want you to be on the till as soon as possible.

Cons

different managers are responsible for different things. some managers take care of shifts and so requesting them for a cirtain shift is hard as they will not give it to you. but many emplyees prefer different shifts however if someone is on an early on sunday but prefers a late and vis versa with a an other employee then co-workers team up together and swap shifts which works out in the end. I think managers should be organised and ask employees in what they prefer and they could worktogether and be a success.

Managers shuld take care on what shifts employees prefer as some may prefer cirtain shifts for a good reason i.e i prefer early shifts so i can go home and do work as i work saturday and sunday and in full time University education, plus comuting so finishing at 9:00pm/ 10:00pm (airport) is not a convenient time waen I have to wake up at 5am.
    Overal in management around the store and customer care as well as promotion is really good and we employees help to make it work!

Excellent

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Notting Hill, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Notting Hill, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great development opportunities
    Flexible management
    Good holiday entitlement
    Sunday premiums
    Discount

Cons

Long hours
    Lower pay than competitors
    Stress filled!

I Love It

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Boots part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work, doing something different every day, managers know exactly what they are doing have give excellent guidance! that never see you stuck, good discount compared to other retail stores.

Cons

its ether a feast or a famine in regards to hours and contracts are hard to get, if you do get one it will be a 3/4 hour contract with some extra duty as and when you are needed.

i must say i have one of the best managers about! she keeps us up to date on company strategies, targets, performance and how we as a team can improve on delivering legendary customer service.

15 years of working with boots as a pharmacist

Current Employee - Pharmacist  in  Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Since joining Boots I have to say they have always looked after me. From my first position as second pharmacist to my current role I have met so many people that I am proud to call my good friends. When Boots pharmacists get together through work you feel a sense of belonging. We are all in the same boat and we always have a good chin wag as to what is going well as well as not so well.

Whenever I am stuck I alwAys know which person I can turn to, be it pharmacy or non pharmacy related. I get to wear my own clothes which I love as I know they will fit well and get to wear the colours that suit me and looking professional at the same time. What really makes me proud to work for Boots is the fact we all put the customer first. Customer service is second to none and I can't help compare he staff I work with to all other places I go to. I have to say the discount is amazing especially when treated to double discount days. I can treat myself to my YSL and Clinique without breaking the bank. When I got married and asked for 3 months off, that was no problem as well as finding me a job in the new area.

When I went on maternity leave I had a nice surprise of £100 vouchers which was very much needed. Overall I have seen pharmacists come and go but I have never felt compelled to leave. I'm with them for as long as they will have me!

Cons

For me, there haven't been many negatives. One thing that does spring to mind is the lack of openness is what is going on. One example is when I was being moved from one store to another, I was the last to know! At the time I did feel upset but now 4 years on I am happy to be working in my current store. They do push you to reach your targets. However I am quite target driven so that suits me. If you haven't reached your target you always feel you need to say why. Sometimes there is no reason!

I understand why there has to be a certain amount of non sharing of what's going on. However if it involves a certain person then I feel they should be one of the first to be told and not one of the last. It really hurts when you hear what is going on from another colleague who just can't wait to tell you the latest gossip! Communication is key to happy employees.

Starting to decline

Current Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Middlesbrough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Middlesbrough, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great discounts, great support and training, always wanting to push staff to further themselves i.e. healthcare training, beauty training.
    Great teams where everyone is felt included.
    Very good surprise rewards like extra bonus', rewards for full attendance, ad hoc points bonuses for good customer service - made you feel appreciated.

Cons

Sometimes large strain on staff, in my time at boots a lot of people left and weren't replaced so current staff had to take on the extra load to save costs. Put large strain on staff and at times resulted in shop being understaffed.

maintain use of rewards/bonuses it really makes things feel more worthwhile.

Worked for Boots? Contribute to the Community!