Boots Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
3.3

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts
Simon Roberts

Pros
  • Staff discount was good and always felt appreciated as an employe (in 22 reviews)

• that never see you stuck, good discount compared to other retail stores (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and not enough FTE mean that quite often the store has long queues (in 10 reviews)

• poor management, little training, poor work life balance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

To be avoided...

I worked at Boots (more than 5 years)

Pros

Boots pays good money for retail and the working hours can be quite flexible. You can usually find a transfer if you need to move stores, and, if you can put up with it, it's quite a stable job...however

Cons

If you are University educated, you will find it very hard to get promoted. In the five years I spent at Boots, I applied over and over for promotion, and was always either completely ignored or refused. Hard work is not rewarded, and customers can be stupid, nasty, and rude virtually constantly. Worst of all is the 'Managers' are often too young to manage anything, and end up on a power trip. 'Rules' about various thing change from store to store, and nobody seems to know why or what the rules actually are. Things change, and staff are not informed, yet complained at for not knowing the information.
    Discrimination, bullying and gossip are absolutely rife, and the amount of ignorant people I have had to work alongside beggars belief. The things some other members of staff seemed to get away with were shocking, yet others were disciplined for less.
    Discount is poor, and family responsibilities are not respected ( I was disciplined for taking a morning off to care for my sick spouse).

Stop employing and especially promoting unpleasant people. Discrimination and bullying are a serious problem and was the reason I left.

Buying Assistant - Head Office

Current Employee - Category Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Category Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to meet people and make friends, good discount, free products and samples, great way to further understand retail and the way boots operates. Office culture is very much dependent on hierarchy and people will listen to your ideas more if were you at a higher level in the organisation.

Cons

Pay is very low for what category assistants do, they run promotional planners, pricing, distribution, product set ups, supplier management and relations but only get £15k per year which is just no enough in this day and age. Training was pretty much useless and quite generic to all CAs regardless of what category you look after.

The hierarchy system in my opinion is very outdated and terrible. doesn't serve great to motivate lowest level staff. There are 7 levels in the organisation - level 7 being the lowest. Naturally people in the organisation will be less inclined to new ideas coming from level 7s. You can be lucky with your line manager wanting to progress you as quick as possible however from my experience most line managers will want to keep you in your position for 2 years minimum.

When this is the case most CAs will want to progress which results in high competition internally and you will get a lot of CAs not wanting to help or pretty much try to slow your progress down and jump on any opportunity to outperform you so you need to fight for what you want pretty much.

I suggest being honest with whoever takes these roles and keeping it straight to the point with how long managers expect CAs to be in their roles for.

Team are generally good, but management is disgracefully.

Former Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Stafford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Stafford, England (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Team are willing to go the extra mile, esp the younger staff who want to prove themselves, but eventually they realise its really not worth the reward.

Cons

Bonus is non-existent, greivence policy is really bad, salary is well below average market rate, lack of staff, poor managemnt style, will never do anything about safety until patient is harmed.

Stop looking at the business as purely profit and start to realise that there are patients at the end of the scorecard not a figure

Great at first but shouldn't of transferred

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Boots as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Nice friendly atmosphere between staff. Most of the customers were friendly and you could have a nice conversation with them. very busy which helped the time pass quickly.

Cons

Much better working for a high street store, Most of the management were very unsympathetic, Would talk about you behind your back and most of the time looked like they didn't know how to manage a store. i only stayed as long as i did as i got on with all the staff. towards the end i hated coming in to work and most times would cry about it.

Despite the values that you claim make Boots who they are they definitely weren't being shown in that store. There is not just me who feels like this but no one else will say anything. I will never return to work for Boots and deeply disappointed with how i've been treated during my time there.

I had no training, never knew what needed to be done!

Former Employee - Home Abd Leisure Sales Assistant in Fishponds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Home Abd Leisure Sales Assistant in Fishponds, England (UK)

I worked at Boots part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I guess it was relatively easy
    Made a friend, some were friendly others were not
    Discount, think it was %20

Cons

Managers had no idea who I was when I turned up for my first day of work
    I was supposed to work home and leisure but for the first 4 weeks worked on grocery department helping someone out
    No manager on my department to train me
    Manager of store just told me tasks to do, but I never knew what stock needed to be worked, what stock had already been worked, stock room was a complete sham
    I would put out stock I thought needed going out and then tidy department and would still get told I wasn't doing a good enough job
    Horrible manager when they finally assigned me one
    Didn't even give me the correct uniform
    Worked 8 hours for free because my clock in didn't work and when I inquired with HR she told me that it had been logged and I had been paid which I hadn't

Work on managers within the store, make sure they know what they are doing and that their employees know too!

Full of bullies and cliques

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)

I worked at Boots part-time (less than an year)

Pros

None, like seriously none other than I'm free!!!

Cons

I'm sure not all stores are as bad mine was but bullies and cliques were rife. When I finally found another job and handed my notice in my manager announced in earshot of about 10 customers and staff "congratulations on your new job, how long til you start your new job?" ...Subtle hint much! After that I was given the worst tasks on the shift and just felt with each passing day that i was making a very good decision. Within 2 weeks of leaving I found that every person id once thought of as friends had been back stabbing me between themselves and management. I left because I was treated like dirt management, regularly told off for doing my job and doing "less" that others even though they were doing less than me. Other staff left before me and they were back stabbed and not given a card and she had 10 years service. Yet another girl was there less than I was and given a card me it was a chase of thank god I'm gone they didn't want me. I'm glad that I'm now in a job where my skills are appreciated and I am wanted, if I make a mistake I'm not given a warning I'm given coaching instead. It's a prison if you don't mind being treated like a second class citizen, talked down to and are ok with cliques and back stabbing this could be the place for you. It's a shame that I now avoid shopping in boots because they treated me so badly I don't feel I can give them my custom as I believe companies should treat their staff ethically and boots does not do this. My friend even said she would rather work in a fast food joint than here which is based on my experience. This company has a lot to do if it is to ever regain my trust as a customer.

Take a long hard look at the attrition rates and those leaving in the first two years of their contracts and ask yourself why is this so high? You've got some amazing people who could make boots amazing and you've lost them, if you want to go bust then keep doing what you want if you want to grow change retain your best staff and grow them, stop the bullying and treat everyone equal.

awful place to work, never had such a bad experience at a work place

Former Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser in Weston, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the discounts and friends made.

Cons

Picked on for very minor things. Had to go to a family funeral and was told i wasn't going to get paid, so went up to Scotland and back in one day. Kept in a "chat" for 3 hours and amongst things was told that my shoes were wrong but in actual fact they were OK. Was even told my socks were wrong colour but they were mostly black and couldn't be seen.! I was headhunted as an ACT and was treated very badly.

Need to sort out Line managers and have someone to talk to if there is a problem with them. Manager at time was very much in cahoots with couple of line managers.

bully boy tactics

Former Employee - Team Manager III in Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Manager III in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

the wages are okay, above the average

Cons

no consideration for staff, always short staffed, pressure to do extra hours, no pride in the job anymore, management are unapproachable

Totally nothing like I expected

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Boots part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff seemed friendly

Cons

The job advert was sugar-coated Americanised and not true to the job I ended up doing. I had no buddy no one helped me, so much for a customers assistant, I was shoved in a warehouse and never got to see a customer on my hands and knees and wheeling stock about . Not one teabreak during my shift. Standing all the time. If I had known it was warehouse operative, lifting carrying and putting stock out , tearing bxoes open and recyling bins , I would not have applied. It was a very large store, maybe smaller ones have a better staff morale.

No one explained what my role would "actually" be when I was offered the temp job, on hands and knees in the back area, and so much for customer discount, have to work there for 12 weeks plus so got no benefit, on a temp contract, working on minimum wage in a warehouse /sweatshop. I had a very chilled interview and I told them I had previous cashier experience, I assumed I would be in bagging and a friendly face helping in the shop. On my 1st day, I was left on my own with no idea what I was employed as, and my head hurt and my expectations were in the gutter. The shop manager met me on as I stacked things and I said that I thought my role was on the tills, and was told snidily "lol NO, well you'be got to start somewhere" Patronising, I am not a stupid school leaver I am mature person, and have worked in a lot of money handling banking and shop roles, I expected to be on the tills as that is the job I applied for not on hands and knees and up ladders in the warehouse checking lines and trading standards and ticking off stock on sheets.

poor company policies

Current Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

your collagues who work to help you and vice versa strong friendships

Cons

lack of staff, struggling to dispense doing three people,s jobs at once too many interuptions while trying to give out important medication, dangerously unsafe for both staff and customers

long service not treated with respect any more, making sure staff are not working extra time for nothing and coming in on days off and holidays to cover the workload