Boots

Updated August 18, 2014

3.3

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts
Simon Roberts

Pros
  • Staff discount was good and always felt appreciated as an employe (in 18 reviews)

• that never see you stuck, good discount compared to other retail stores (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours culture that is just expected (in 7 reviews)

• Training was computer based but trying to find time away from the shop floor to do this was difficult (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I had no training, never knew what needed to be done!

Former Employee - Home Abd Leisure Sales Assistant  in  Fishponds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Home Abd Leisure Sales Assistant in Fishponds, England (UK)

Pros

I guess it was relatively easy
    Made a friend, some were friendly others were not
    Discount, think it was %20

Cons

Managers had no idea who I was when I turned up for my first day of work
    I was supposed to work home and leisure but for the first 4 weeks worked on grocery department helping someone out
    No manager on my department to train me
    Manager of store just told me tasks to do, but I never knew what stock needed to be worked, what stock had already been worked, stock room was a complete sham
    I would put out stock I thought needed going out and then tidy department and would still get told I wasn't doing a good enough job
    Horrible manager when they finally assigned me one
    Didn't even give me the correct uniform
    Worked 8 hours for free because my clock in didn't work and when I inquired with HR she told me that it had been logged and I had been paid which I hadn't

Work on managers within the store, make sure they know what they are doing and that their employees know too!

Full of bullies and cliques

Former Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Plymouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)

Pros

None, like seriously none other than I'm free!!!

Cons

I'm sure not all stores are as bad mine was but bullies and cliques were rife. When I finally found another job and handed my notice in my manager announced in earshot of about 10 customers and staff "congratulations on your new job, how long til you start your new job?" ...Subtle hint much! After that I was given the worst tasks on the shift and just felt with each passing day that i was making a very good decision. Within 2 weeks of leaving I found that every person id once thought of as friends had been back stabbing me between themselves and management. I left because I was treated like dirt management, regularly told off for doing my job and doing "less" that others even though they were doing less than me. Other staff left before me and they were back stabbed and not given a card and she had 10 years service. Yet another girl was there less than I was and given a card me it was a chase of thank god I'm gone they didn't want me. I'm glad that I'm now in a job where my skills are appreciated and I am wanted, if I make a mistake I'm not given a warning I'm given coaching instead. It's a prison if you don't mind being treated like a second class citizen, talked down to and are ok with cliques and back stabbing this could be the place for you. It's a shame that I now avoid shopping in boots because they treated me so badly I don't feel I can give them my custom as I believe companies should treat their staff ethically and boots does not do this. My friend even said she would rather work in a fast food joint than here which is based on my experience. This company has a lot to do if it is to ever regain my trust as a customer.

Take a long hard look at the attrition rates and those leaving in the first two years of their contracts and ask yourself why is this so high? You've got some amazing people who could make boots amazing and you've lost them, if you want to go bust then keep doing what you want if you want to grow change retain your best staff and grow them, stop the bullying and treat everyone equal.

bully boy tactics

Former Employee - Team Manager III  in  Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Manager III in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Pros

the wages are okay, above the average

Cons

no consideration for staff, always short staffed, pressure to do extra hours, no pride in the job anymore, management are unapproachable

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Totally nothing like I expected

Former Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Pros

The staff seemed friendly

Cons

The job advert was sugar-coated Americanised and not true to the job I ended up doing. I had no buddy no one helped me, so much for a customers assistant, I was shoved in a warehouse and never got to see a customer on my hands and knees and wheeling stock about . Not one teabreak during my shift. Standing all the time. If I had known it was warehouse operative, lifting carrying and putting stock out , tearing bxoes open and recyling bins , I would not have applied. It was a very large store, maybe smaller ones have a better staff morale.

No one explained what my role would "actually" be when I was offered the temp job, on hands and knees in the back area, and so much for customer discount, have to work there for 12 weeks plus so got no benefit, on a temp contract, working on minimum wage in a warehouse /sweatshop. I had a very chilled interview and I told them I had previous cashier experience, I assumed I would be in bagging and a friendly face helping in the shop. On my 1st day, I was left on my own with no idea what I was employed as, and my head hurt and my expectations were in the gutter. The shop manager met me on as I stacked things and I said that I thought my role was on the tills, and was told snidily "lol NO, well you'be got to start somewhere" Patronising, I am not a stupid school leaver I am mature person, and have worked in a lot of money handling banking and shop roles, I expected to be on the tills as that is the job I applied for not on hands and knees and up ladders in the warehouse checking lines and trading standards and ticking off stock on sheets.

poor company policies

Current Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

your collagues who work to help you and vice versa strong friendships

Cons

lack of staff, struggling to dispense doing three people,s jobs at once too many interuptions while trying to give out important medication, dangerously unsafe for both staff and customers

long service not treated with respect any more, making sure staff are not working extra time for nothing and coming in on days off and holidays to cover the workload

We are the slaves that are helping KKR and Stefano to pocket a small fortune on the back of all our hard work.

Current Employee - Pharmacist
    Current Employee - Pharmacist

Pros

The company has a reasonable holiday allowance.I

Cons

I cannot think of a single company benefit that hasn't been reduced since Stefano took over. Maximum sick leave has been reduced. The area management operates on a management by fear basis, i.e. store managers are, in general, no graduates that have been promoted through the ranks. They live in fear of their area managers and consequently feel unable to question them.

Look at the area/regional management teams and consider whether they truly reflect the values promoted by the company. Many of the area/regional managers haven't even "got the maths" to even understand the company targets. Store managers aren't being consulted on targets for NHS item growth and so their targets are either too high, giving them higher salary budgets or too low giving them insufficient resource to meet the needs of the business.
    Area/Regional managers do not appreciate criticism or questioning of their decisions. They are like "little gods". Probably because they have been promoted beyond their acedemic ability.
    The current emphasis on reducing dispensary stock holding is continuing to adversely affect customer service. With FRPS these "owings" are not being registered in many pharmacies. We need more stock!

disappointing

Current Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

The staff discounts are ok and the majority of the staff are friendly and easy to work with. Training is adequate and the uniforms are ok.

Cons

zero hour contracts. not being able to sit when you are on the tills all day. the company does not care about its staff or job satisfaction, you rarely get any praise for great or outstanding work. Boots went through a ''re profiling'' in recent years to change staffs contracts, if you did not agree with their new terms you were eventually let go. This mainly effected long term staff who had flexible working hours (which they no longer do).

There should be stools for till workers. Better treatment of staff, they need to praise good work, offer more opportunities for progression. better pay. Management need to look at how well the company USE to treat staff as at one point people loved working for boots and were proud to say so, that is no longer the case.

Worst place I have ever worked at HQ.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Nottingham, England (UK)

Pros

They pay a decent salary
    Coworkers great bull all dissatisfied
    Cakes everywhere

Cons

Your life will be sucked out of you
    They expect if you are on more than someone else you will be worked into the ground for it
    They take highly skilled people and make you do menial jobs
    The people in charge think they are perfect and you are less than them
    Really bad at people management, they will expect you to come in, work like a slave and regardless of what your title says you are a skivvy, you will be fired to be replaced by someone who will simply churn out more.
    You will be lied to, your work will not be varied or fun, but mundane and repetitive.
    Attitude there is purile.
    You will be told people stay there for a long time, not true there is a very high turnover in D19 / Technical Centre, if you do not believe me simply check out the linkedin profile timelines of current and former employees.
    Getting off site at head office can take you an hour or more simply to get out of the site due to poor traffic management.
    Really slow in paying what they promise you, takes 3 months to get a relocation bursary.
    Worked since I was 16, worst job I have ever had due to extremely poor management, ridiculous expectations and the attitude that management is perfect and the purile and arrogant attitude of the line managers.
    You may work longer hours, harder and meet all your targets and time plans, time keeping impeccable etc. Never once told that your work is good or valued.
    Everyone else around you is job hunting - what does that say about the place?
    Progression is slow - they expect you to work 5 years before you are considered to be promoted
    Bonuses are non-existent due to the poor management.
    Employees are not valued whatsoever, the high salary does not warrant the poor working conditions.

Management staff need to be taught how to manage and treat people. The hiring process needs to be updated to be more honest and that the right person is employed for the right job, if menial then you need a school leaver to fill the position rather than a highly skilled person.

It is better to have one good commercially viable idea than push out thousands for the sake of it.

Terrible

Pros

Nothing. Its mind numbingly terrible and filthy

Cons

Everything. Hours, work, people, its rubbish

Try managing

company going down the pan

Current Employee - Varies Roles  in  Canterbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Varies Roles in Canterbury, England (UK)

Pros

staff discount, especially xmas double discount.
    great with charities

Cons

cuts cuts cuts
    added pressure and responsibility
    Not enough staff to carry out the day to day running of the business creating an unsafe environment for staff and customers.
    Out of date systems and operations.
    Senior management empty soulless robots with one interest, stepping up another level in the world, to get there they will throw around threats and disciplinaries even if they aren't appropriate, but if it gets results what the hell?
    Senior management only favour staff who can brag, B.S, and brown nose. Hard working, honest, by the book staff don't get a look in.
    No interest in developing staff further, no constructive feedback. just demands demands and consequences

invest in some modern technology to make sales plan quicker, rather than a 3 day job for understaffed larger stores. kiddie care have digital price tags Boots need to invest.
    Invest in some quicker ways of dispensing etc for busier pharmacies
    show material, takes ages to put up and take down for a one day event.
    pump some money into your stores you've slashed away at over the last two years, the result, loosing great staff, creating unhappy staff, customer care is diminishing.

this used to be a great company to work for,somewhere to be proud to work for, its now a cold, miserable depressing place. With now love for the staff or the customers.

Worked for Boots? Contribute to the Community!