Boots Reviews

236 reviews filtered by
3.2
Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts
Simon Roberts

Pros
  • Staff discount was good and always felt appreciated as an employe (in 25 reviews)

• Always had good discount for Boots products and double discount days for staff (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and not enough FTE mean that quite often the store has long queues (in 11 reviews)

• customer service ethic disappears beyond the application and interview (in 7 reviews)

1. A company that shouldn't even be entered for the "Great place to work" survey

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Wolverhampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Wolverhampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I will get back to you on that I'm trying to think of one

Cons

Staff are undervalued under paid distrusted and if your face doesn't fit thats it, i also disagree that when we promote internally the promotee is paid a set amount yet if we hire externally in general there is at least 3 grand more for them than the internal employee. flagship stores aren't necessarily classed as flagship anymore they are supposed to be grand and the show of the company the one in wolverhampton is awful dirty shelves etc etc but thats acceptable the my manager

Advice to Management

Try sending some undercover bosses in if you want to understand whilst the company is having to pull there belts in the little people that are paid a pittance would show you big fat cats where you could save loads of wasted money day in day out, my boss can do what she wants how she wants because she is mates with her line manager etc etc there a click in management so cant speak out about how badly the store is run

Apr 14, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide an environment where employees feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core values that we stress ... More

2. Standing in a Target cosmetic isle sucks.

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Wellington, FL
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Wellington, FL

I worked at Boots

Pros

Target discount was the only good thing about the job.

Cons

No benefits and had to carry supplies from my car

Advice to Management

Give it up, good luck the turnover for this position is multiple.

Apr 14, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

3. Don't apply

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Gloucester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Gloucester, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good discount, good amount of holidays for longer standing staff. Staff are friendly. Xmas bonus

Cons

Too much work load for few members of staff. When people leave they don't get replaced. Expect cover on all areas but don't provide the staff. Management just sit in the office even when shop floor is really struggling. Favourtism. Don't care about the staff just the profit. Ignor staff comments.

Advice to Management

Help on the shop floor more. Push for more staff when shop is quite clearly way below what I need to function. Listen to staff and provide the support needed.

Apr 14, 2015

We very much appreciate you sharing your views and we take these kinds of comments seriously. We’re committed to being the best employer out there, and your feedback helps us reach that commitment.

Stress City

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Galway (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Galway (Ireland)

I have been working at Boots full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good training, opportunities to progress. Bonus opportunities in place. Variety in tasks. Opportunities to network and gain experience in other locations. New stores opening across the country.

Cons

There seems to be poor choices made when hiring management from outside the Boots workforce with a high turnover of Store Managers and unfortunately the Loss Prevention crew are usually involved. I love working in this environment but there is a real sense of being of in a vulnerable position with regard to HR and Loss Prevention and whether you are flavour of the month or not. It's a shame as I don't believe that Boots Uk are like that. Bonuses that were in place to all staff for so many years are now virtually impossible to achieve as doing your job and doing it well is no longer adequate. You must now be 'Legendary'. The definition of legendary is down to your line manager.
    Constant PIPs (performance improvement plans) are demoralising and needless to staff already under pressure. Often there is no logic behind them and being on a PIP means no bonus at any stage.
    Stress levels among store management is huge. Often there is not enough admin time available to get through the vast quantity of paperwork demanded especially in the smaller stores where there is a limited management team.
    The company sickness policy is extraordinarily harsh with performance management whilst already having pay docked. There is little thought given to mitigating circumstances.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to HR. They don't know your staff. You do. Treat them well. Your stores will benefit. Assistant managers must have accountability when they 'handle' staff/performance issues and the store manager should be aware of how it is being dealt with. Too often Store Managers pretend ignorance when an assistant manager rules with an unbalanced rod of iron. Store Managers should not use assistant managers as guard dogs.
    In the smaller stores staff get to experience all aspects of running the store. Every kind of trouble shooting and this is what makes them good at their jobs. However in the larger stores, potentially, you could have a CEO who will only ever stack shelves or work a till because their immediate line manager can't be bothered to stretch them, or regards them as fodder for that task or deliberately keeps them doing the repetitive and mundane.

Apr 14, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide an environment where employees feel they’re valued, respected, working in good conditions. Taking care of our people is one of our core values that ... More

6. Rubbish

Current Employee - Christmas Sales Assistant in Altrincham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Christmas Sales Assistant in Altrincham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots

Pros

Nobody cared about they're job so you could do anything you wanted...literally anything.

Cons

lazy staff shirking responsibilities
    low pay
    Bad management

Advice to Management

your managers are sub par

Jan 26, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

7. I work in a busy airport store

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in East Anglia, SK (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in East Anglia, SK (Canada)

I have been working at Boots

Pros

Staff discount is only the only benefit

Cons

Often have reprofiling which does not take into consideration individual circumstances. If staff do not agree to proposed change to hours, they are told they will have to leave. Even if they cannot do the change due to child care needs etc. they have no respect for staff, all they care about is the needs of the business.

Advice to Management

Management need to be on the shop floor more, maybe then they would see how disgruntled their employees are. Not one member of staff I work with is happy with their job.

Jan 8, 2015

Thank you for sharing your review. We appreciate your feedback and we will share it further.

Don't bother working for R&D

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time

Pros

Maybe Pay? Discounts if you really love that sort of thing, but even then it is not worth it. The interview is fun, it's like a chat with friends in a coffee shop.

Cons

People that have left school and work for the company are R&D managers for some reason? What is that all about? You are under tremendous pressure to create a thousand and one ideas which in their own words will 'filter down a funnel' to one or two ideas that will sell really well. Yeah, because that's definitely the way to make money! Not! Managers are seriously underqualified and solipsists. Also they require highly educated and skilled people to do menial tasks. Expect people to stab you in the back for personal gain, yet smile for the camera. Enjoy being trodden on by management and receiving no support whatsoever. I was told 'I've heard this all before' and they are not interested in your or your wellbeing. Most people stay for a year or less, with some people making it to two years before moving on, it is that bad. In the interview they will say some people have been here for years, they are the people that came there after leaving school and have nowhere else to go. The products are poor and not very innovative which is not surprising, prices are expensive for what they are.

Advice to Management

Restructure R&D, get rid of your stupid funnels and idiots that think they know everything at the top. Come up with better more commercially focused streamlined ideas. Stop making R&D bear the brunt of the companies poor sales record. Introduce new brands and lines and utilise R&D better than just adding additional external brands for thinner profit margins. Stop believing that people will pay through the roof for the 'experience' of walking into a shop, this is the age of the internet. Also the only information your marketing dept. use is from the advantage cards, ie. people that already shop with you (who will tell you everything is great). Try using information from people that don't shop in boots as well!

Dec 5, 2014

We very much appreciate you sharing your views and take these kinds of comments seriously. We’re committed to being the best employer out there, and your feedback helps us reach that commitment.

TICKING TIMEBOMB

Current Contractor - Pharmacy Team in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Pharmacy Team in Plymouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Easy to find one and the customers leaving in their droves are slightly reducing the extreme work-related pressure. All Boots staff are well skilled and lovely people that go more than the extra mile to retain customers even though they are not appreciated for it.

Cons

Dirty, dusty stores with plaster and probably asbestos literally falling from walls and ceilings. Boots do not clean or repair their stores and if the public were aware of the appalling state of repair and cleanliness then many stores would be shut down. Staff are expected to work additional hours for free and the relief Pharmacy teams have been disbanded. Patients are leaving in their droves from some stores.

Advice to Management

The Pharmacy staff in stores need urgent support to prevent stress levels from cause a ticking-sickness-timebomb from exploding. Pharmacy "lock in," strategies are irritating the patients that do not want them and unnecessarily increasing workload which prevents core services from being delivered.

Text messaging and FRPS cannot be delivered effectively due to staff shortages across the company as a whole and are a leading cause of patient "lock-out," when they fail. Multiple stores are health and safety hazards and have appalling hygiene levels due to the fact that no professional cleaning occurs.

Staff hours have been cut so harshly and so deeply that all stores are running at dangerous levels of staff. Theft from some shops totaling £1000s could be prevented with appropriate staff numbers. Cost cutting measures an unrealistic workloads/targets are strangling the business and making the company a shadow of its former self.

Dec 2, 2014

To be avoided...

I worked at Boots (More than 5 years)

Pros

Boots pays good money for retail and the working hours can be quite flexible. You can usually find a transfer if you need to move stores, and, if you can put up with it, it's quite a stable job...however

Cons

If you are University educated, you will find it very hard to get promoted. In the five years I spent at Boots, I applied over and over for promotion, and was always either completely ignored or refused. Hard work is not rewarded, and customers can be stupid, nasty, and rude virtually constantly. Worst of all is the 'Managers' are often too young to manage anything, and end up on a power trip. 'Rules' about various thing change from store to store, and nobody seems to know why or what the rules actually are. Things change, and staff are not informed, yet complained at for not knowing the information.
    Discrimination, bullying and gossip are absolutely rife, and the amount of ignorant people I have had to work alongside beggars belief. The things some other members of staff seemed to get away with were shocking, yet others were disciplined for less.
    Discount is poor, and family responsibilities are not respected ( I was disciplined for taking a morning off to care for my sick spouse).

Advice to Management

Stop employing and especially promoting unpleasant people. Discrimination and bullying are a serious problem and was the reason I left.

Buying Assistant - Head Office

Current Employee - Category Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Category Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to meet people and make friends, good discount, free products and samples, great way to further understand retail and the way boots operates. Office culture is very much dependent on hierarchy and people will listen to your ideas more if were you at a higher level in the organisation.

Cons

Pay is very low for what category assistants do, they run promotional planners, pricing, distribution, product set ups, supplier management and relations but only get £15k per year which is just no enough in this day and age. Training was pretty much useless and quite generic to all CAs regardless of what category you look after.

The hierarchy system in my opinion is very outdated and terrible. doesn't serve great to motivate lowest level staff. There are 7 levels in the organisation - level 7 being the lowest. Naturally people in the organisation will be less inclined to new ideas coming from level 7s. You can be lucky with your line manager wanting to progress you as quick as possible however from my experience most line managers will want to keep you in your position for 2 years minimum.

When this is the case most CAs will want to progress which results in high competition internally and you will get a lot of CAs not wanting to help or pretty much try to slow your progress down and jump on any opportunity to outperform you so you need to fight for what you want pretty much.

Advice to Management

I suggest being honest with whoever takes these roles and keeping it straight to the point with how long managers expect CAs to be in their roles for.