Boots

Boots Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts

Simon Roberts

Pros:
  • "Good pay, flexible hours, good discount, great promotion prices"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The staff discount on all other products is fair but not great"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "sometimes you feel like you are a target customer service associate"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Long hours, difficulty getting any meal breaks,exploitative staff treatment and disgracefully low remuneration"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Christmas Customer Assistant

Christmas Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Boots part-time for less than a year

ProsVery busy environment, ability to work on your own after training.

ConsToo much new staff around this season making it difficult to get direction or find someone in charge.

Decent part time job

Healthcare Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boots part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI was happy with the starting pay for a part time job and my pay increased twice whilst I was there to the current rate of £7.50. The people there are nice and it feels like a pretty relaxed work environment. I've been able to get extra shifts when I've wanted them.

ConsCustomers can be a bit of a pain sometimes and managers do tend to slack off and leave us on the shop floor to deal with things. It can be a bit monotonous on the shop floor, especially when there aren't many customers and you are stuck with pulling forward the stock for hours on end. I also initially had issues with my pay as I was underpaid for lots of the extra time I did, but it was all sorted out in the end.

Worst place I have ever worked at HQ.

Anonymous (Current Employee)
Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time for less than a year

ProsThey pay a decent salary
Coworkers great bull all dissatisfied
Cakes everywhere

ConsYour life will be sucked out of you
They expect if you are on more than someone else you will be worked into the ground for it
They take highly skilled people and make you do menial jobs
The people in charge think they are perfect and you are less than them
Really bad at people management, they will expect you to come in, work like a slave and regardless of what your title says you are a skivvy, you will be fired to be replaced by someone who will simply churn out more.
You will be lied to, your work will not be varied or fun, but mundane and repetitive.
Attitude there is purile.
You will be told people stay there for a long time, not true there is a very high turnover in D19 / Technical Centre, if you do not believe me simply check out the linkedin profile timelines of current and former employees.
Getting off site at head office can take you an hour or more simply to get out of the site due to poor traffic management.
Really slow in paying what they promise you, takes 3 months to get a relocation bursary.
Worked since I was 16, worst job I have ever had due to extremely poor management, ridiculous expectations and the attitude that management is perfect and the purile and arrogant attitude of the line managers.
You may work longer hours, harder and meet all your targets and time plans, time keeping impeccable etc. Never once told that your work is good or valued.
Everyone else around you is job hunting - what does that say about the place?
Progression is slow - they expect you to work 5 years before you are considered to be promoted
Bonuses are non-existent due to the poor management.
Employees are not valued whatsoever, the high salary does not warrant the poor working conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement staff need to be taught how to manage and treat people. The hiring process needs to be updated to be more honest and that the right person is employed for the right job, if menial then you need a school leaver to fill the position rather than a highly skilled person.

It is better to have one good commercially viable idea than push out thousands for the sake of it.

Terrible

I have been working at Boots

ProsNothing. Its mind numbingly terrible and filthy

ConsEverything. Hours, work, people, its rubbish

Advice to Senior ManagementTry managing

Not bad!

Customer Assistant (Current Employee)
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time

ProsFast paced in bigger stores. Good discount. Good pay increase after working for a year. Make some great friends with coworkers! Fairly interesting job, opportunity to contribute to different areas of the store.

ConsSometimes overworked and understaffed, to the point of making staff ill. Till systems and stock check is outdated.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrike a balance between protecting profits and looking after staff, because customer service will suffer.

company going down the pan

Varies Roles (Current Employee)
Canterbury, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time for more than 3 years

Prosstaff discount, especially xmas double discount.
great with charities

Conscuts cuts cuts
added pressure and responsibility
Not enough staff to carry out the day to day running of the business creating an unsafe environment for staff and customers.
Out of date systems and operations.
Senior management empty soulless robots with one interest, stepping up another level in the world, to get there they will throw around threats and disciplinaries even if they aren't appropriate, but if it gets results what the hell?
Senior management only favour staff who can brag, B.S, and brown nose. Hard working, honest, by the book staff don't get a look in.
No interest in developing staff further, no constructive feedback. just demands demands and consequences

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in some modern technology to make sales plan quicker, rather than a 3 day job for understaffed larger stores. kiddie care have digital price tags Boots need to invest.
Invest in some quicker ways of dispensing etc for busier pharmacies
show material, takes ages to put up and take down for a one day event.
pump some money into your stores you've slashed away at over the last two years, the result, loosing great staff, creating unhappy staff, customer care is diminishing.

this used to be a great company to work for,somewhere to be proud to work for, its now a cold, miserable depressing place. With now love for the staff or the customers.

Good

I have been working at Boots part-time for less than a year

Prosperfect environment. everyone is very nice and working in a team

ConsNOne. A very Good company. I haven't seen any cons yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore product to sell

Good company depending on line manager

Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at Boots full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Staff Discount and Career Progression

ConsLine Managers with no empathy.
Career Progression can depend on who you know more than individual merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not overload your employees with work if they are screaming that they do not have enough time to get things done.

Sales Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Boots

ProsDays when duties were varied were interesting

ConsCould feel repetitive serving at the till point all day

Worth reading

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pension and benefits, people are good to work with and there is a work life balance

ConsPoor salary and not as people led as they may say, poor systems in place and unless a large store you are faced with an uphill challenge every day. Get told you are due a move to the next level every 6months for a number of years. Not new opportunities available or provided from HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your non pharmacists managers more

Worked for Boots? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boots reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boots CEO Simon Roberts. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by Boots employees.