www.boots.jobs

Updated December 18, 2014
3.3

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts
Simon Roberts

Pros
  • Staff discount was good and always felt appreciated as an employe (in 25 reviews)

• Always had good discount for Boots products and double discount days for staff (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and not enough FTE mean that quite often the store has long queues (in 11 reviews)

• customer service ethic disappears beyond the application and interview (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

ok

Current Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser in Bishops Stortford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser in Bishops Stortford, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots

Pros

good company to work for, pay is ok I Guess when you compare it to other similar organisation

Cons

all about numbers, targets and nothing to do with patients..

treat everyone equally.....and be more with customers and patients rather than sitting in there office all day long.

Dec 16, 2014

Our main aim is to provide the best possible care to our patients and customers, therefore we are grateful for your feedback above, which we will evaluate further. Thank you for taking the time to ... More

Good pay, awful management

I have been working at Boots part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-excellent pay compared to other my age working
    -lovely staff, always helpful

Cons

-Management are useless, I wasn't told anything about how to do the job and am penalised when I can't do things for this reason
    -Unorganised
    -Don't receive discount until a year after starting when the period is apparently 3 months for probation

Inform your staff of everything they need to know, we are not robots.

Dec 22, 2014

Thank you for your review. Boots value your feedback and is committed to employee satisfaction, therefore we will use your feedback to improve in the areas that you mentioned.

Love working for Boots!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really proud that we always put customers first in all that we do, their needs really lead our decision making.
    Great opportunity to progress within the business and support from senior leaders in personal development.
    Great atmosphere at work and open plan office make being at work enjoyable.
    Cheesy I know but everyone is genuinely lovely to work with. Everyone cares about each other.
    Staff discount is great and the rewards offered to colleagues that do a great job such as recognition schemes/bonus etc

Cons

Salary isn't the most competitive but this is likely due to Nottingham location vs London.
    IT systems are terrible and this sometimes prevents us from doing our job in the best way.
    Some teams are still quite hiarchical which makes decision making and project ownership sometimes difficult.

Dec 2, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments.

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good people that work here.
    - Good company to work for.
    - A lot of opportunities.
    - Good discount card scheme.

Cons

- Poor salary progression/rewards process - needs to be improved.
    - Too slow to implement anything.
    - Too many processes. No trust to actually deliver.
    - Too political.

Improve salary progression for young people (and others) coming into your business. Salaries are not in line with other companies in the market. A lot of people leaving due to higher salaries elsewhere.

Dec 2, 2014

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our employees are the key to our success. We aim to pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all feel they are respected ... More

Great part time job while at uni

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible
    Good pay
    Good people
    Able to progress within the company if you want to

Cons

Stores can close quite late (11pm around Christmas) unless under 18 your expected to work some lates

Appreciate the excellent staff you have

excellent workplace and excellent people

Current Employee - Customer Assistant

I have been working at Boots part-time

Pros

all, from work-life balance to office and store culture

Cons

Difficult getting a job and getting more working hours

none

Good team, varied tasks, unorganised management

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discounts and staff bonuses. Good holdays. Managers often sympathetic with out of work issues. Fantastic and supportive team.

Cons

Management (whilst well meaning) tends to be unorganised and I was often left with issues that should have been dealt with by them (I worked days when there were no managers in store).

Create a better structure within local areas i.e. bigger shops more willing to help small shops when severely understaffed.

Boots

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Company to work for good comp /ben

Cons

Long hours sometimes, depending on the week

TICKING TIMEBOMB

Current Employee - Pharmacy Team in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Team in Plymouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Easy to find one and the customers leaving in their droves are slightly reducing the extreme work-related pressure. All Boots staff are well skilled and lovely people that go more than the extra mile to retain customers even though they are not appreciated for it.

Cons

Dirty, dusty stores with plaster and probably asbestos literally falling from walls and ceilings. Boots do not clean or repair their stores and if the public were aware of the appalling state of repair and cleanliness then many stores would be shut down. Staff are expected to work additional hours for free and the relief Pharmacy teams have been disbanded. Patients are leaving in their droves from some stores.

The Pharmacy staff in stores need urgent support to prevent stress levels from cause a ticking-sickness-timebomb from exploding. Pharmacy "lock in," strategies are irritating the patients that do not want them and unnecessarily increasing workload which prevents core services from being delivered.

Text messaging and FRPS cannot be delivered effectively due to staff shortages across the company as a whole and are a leading cause of patient "lock-out," when they fail. Multiple stores are health and safety hazards and have appalling hygiene levels due to the fact that no professional cleaning occurs.

Staff hours have been cut so harshly and so deeply that all stores are running at dangerous levels of staff. Theft from some shops totaling £1000s could be prevented with appropriate staff numbers. Cost cutting measures an unrealistic workloads/targets are strangling the business and making the company a shadow of its former self.

Dec 2, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide an environment where employees feel they’re valued, respected, working in good conditions. Taking care of our people is one of our core values that ... More

Don't bother working for R&D

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time

Pros

Maybe Pay? Discounts if you really love that sort of thing, but even then it is not worth it. The interview is fun, it's like a chat with friends in a coffee shop.

Cons

People that have left school and work for the company are R&D managers for some reason? What is that all about? You are under tremendous pressure to create a thousand and one ideas which in their own words will 'filter down a funnel' to one or two ideas that will sell really well. Yeah, because that's definitely the way to make money! Not! Managers are seriously underqualified and solipsists. Also they require highly educated and skilled people to do menial tasks. Expect people to stab you in the back for personal gain, yet smile for the camera. Enjoy being trodden on by management and receiving no support whatsoever. I was told 'I've heard this all before' and they are not interested in your or your wellbeing. Most people stay for a year or less, with some people making it to two years before moving on, it is that bad. In the interview they will say some people have been here for years, they are the people that came there after leaving school and have nowhere else to go. The products are poor and not very innovative which is not surprising, prices are expensive for what they are.

Restructure R&D, get rid of your stupid funnels and idiots that think they know everything at the top. Come up with better more commercially focused streamlined ideas. Stop making R&D bear the brunt of the companies poor sales record. Introduce new brands and lines and utilise R&D better than just adding additional external brands for thinner profit margins. Stop believing that people will pay through the roof for the 'experience' of walking into a shop, this is the age of the internet. Also the only information your marketing dept. use is from the advantage cards, ie. people that already shop with you (who will tell you everything is great). Try using information from people that don't shop in boots as well!

Dec 5, 2014

We very much appreciate you sharing your views and take these kinds of comments seriously. We’re committed to being the best employer out there, and your feedback helps us reach that commitment.