Boots

Updated December 18, 2014
3.3

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts
Simon Roberts

Pros
  • Staff discount was good and always felt appreciated as an employe (in 25 reviews)

• Always had good discount for Boots products and double discount days for staff (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and not enough FTE mean that quite often the store has long queues (in 11 reviews)

• customer service ethic disappears beyond the application and interview (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't bother working for R&D

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time

Pros

Maybe Pay? Discounts if you really love that sort of thing, but even then it is not worth it. The interview is fun, it's like a chat with friends in a coffee shop.

Cons

People that have left school and work for the company are R&D managers for some reason? What is that all about? You are under tremendous pressure to create a thousand and one ideas which in their own words will 'filter down a funnel' to one or two ideas that will sell really well. Yeah, because that's definitely the way to make money! Not! Managers are seriously underqualified and solipsists. Also they require highly educated and skilled people to do menial tasks. Expect people to stab you in the back for personal gain, yet smile for the camera. Enjoy being trodden on by management and receiving no support whatsoever. I was told 'I've heard this all before' and they are not interested in your or your wellbeing. Most people stay for a year or less, with some people making it to two years before moving on, it is that bad. In the interview they will say some people have been here for years, they are the people that came there after leaving school and have nowhere else to go. The products are poor and not very innovative which is not surprising, prices are expensive for what they are.

Restructure R&D, get rid of your stupid funnels and idiots that think they know everything at the top. Come up with better more commercially focused streamlined ideas. Stop making R&D bear the brunt of the companies poor sales record. Introduce new brands and lines and utilise R&D better than just adding additional external brands for thinner profit margins. Stop believing that people will pay through the roof for the 'experience' of walking into a shop, this is the age of the internet. Also the only information your marketing dept. use is from the advantage cards, ie. people that already shop with you (who will tell you everything is great). Try using information from people that don't shop in boots as well!

Dec 5, 2014

We very much appreciate you sharing your views and take these kinds of comments seriously. We’re committed to being the best employer out there, and your feedback helps us reach that commitment.

World's Leading Pharmacy based Health and Beaty Retailer

Current Employee - Supply Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supply Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good training and support for new joins to the company and good opportunites for growth via the internal PDP system

Cons

In the Customer Support Centre each day can be challenging but varied when dealing with demanding loyal customers on a daily basis but overall helping the customers is the main priority for the business to feel good and is rewarding especially during the busy xmas trading period

Cross functional working groups across the customer support centre, warehouse and main support office could enable white collar staff and blue collar staff to fully understand the importance of everyones role within the supply chain working hard together as one team for the stores and customers

Dec 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We appreciate your feedback. Keep up the good work!

It's not the company. It's the job.

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free lunch, Good discount. Nice shops. People are usually nice. Usually there isn't a lot of them so you will always have a nice stable environment.

Cons

Bad management. I really hate the job so I can't really comment on the other aspects of it.

Dec 2, 2014

A pound of flesh!

Current Employee - Trainee Healthcare |Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Trainee Healthcare |Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Boots training is apparently one of the best there is. I have no idea if this is true as I have had no benchmark comparison. Having said that, there is bundles of E- learning available. Ideal if you want to get into the health sector. Employee discount card. Company pension.

Cons

Extremely stressful environment to work in. Much is expected of you. Sometimes far more than is humanly possible or reasonable. A branches success is calculated via the amount of surveys that customers complete. This survey takes 20 mins, and people cant be bothered to spend that amount of time to do it. So, no surveys completed, you are considered a failure as a branch- discussed via a weekly conference meeting! Just what you need when you have been slogging your guts out all week. Completing the transition from trainee Healthcare assistant to fully qualified will earn you an extra 20p per hour! Boots pay £5 towards your xmas dinner. Very few visits from area managers, and when they do turn up they just criticise without any understanding of the stress you have been under. Very little praise!

To deliver 'Legendary Customer Care' you need to be 'Legendary' in the way you treat staff. A £5 payment towards Xmas dinner is an insult. Your understanding of life on the shop/pharmacy floor is dilusional. Your understanding of staffing levels required to deliver 'Legendary Customer Care' is way off. Praise your staff a bit more and stop being so target led. The patient is the most important thing right? We are in the business of looking after people - you need to include your staff in that idea too.

Miserable experience

Former Employee - Dispenser in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Dispenser in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff discount
    Staff shop
    Uniform
    Holidays
    Home time

Cons

Pay & management
    Staffing levels
    Pressurised targets
    Stressful
    Staff absence

Staffing needs reviewing to meet the demands & targets

Interview at boots Christmas temp customer assistant

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Boots

Pros

Was emailed saying I had an hour long interview/assessment with boots. Turned out it was literally a 10 min interview included 5 questions. Was over quite quickly and the interviewer was very friendly.

Cons

I had to wait in the staff canteen for 10 mins before anyone came to collect me for the interview, I also did not do any if the floor assessment as I was emailed.

Disappointed....shocked.

Former Employee - Not Sure in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Not Sure in London, England (UK)

I worked at Boots part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Head Office appears to take things serious enough...but the branch I worked at was a bit of a joke.

Cons

Non clear instructions...no training....no advise...dirty shop...left to own devices...no one wanted to help anyone out...customer service ethic disappears beyond the application and interview.

Take care of new staff, they really are "your" future in so many ways.

Could be better

Current Employee - Customer Assistant
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant

I have been working at Boots full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The is better pay than most similar places and there is a good range of interesting products that makes the job interesting. The staff discount is also very good!

Cons

You need to work long days and you are not allowed to sit down which can be hard. We are also not allowed to talk with colleagues even when the store is not busy. It can be very tiring. The company also has some policies that are a bit questionable.

You're not very understanding of your employees needs even though you pretend to be. I wish you tried to understand what it is actually like to work on the shop floor.

Graduate Boots Pharmacist

Current Employee - Graduate Pharmacist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Pharmacist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Actual experience in working as a healthcare professional where you will be given the opportunity to progress and execute skills obtained throughout your academic journey.

Cons

Shift work, will always begin as a relief Pharmacist meaning you will be placed at different stores, but this could be a huge asset in finding your feet, gaining experience and learning as much as you can in a less pressured environment.

Great people who all pull together (in Store) but the budgets for staff are so out of touch

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Weston-super-Mare, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Weston-super-Mare, England (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lovely environment
    Good training
    Development opportunities
    Fantastic perks
    Good discount
    Was never a chore going into work, as the people who worked there knew that it was a team effort.

Cons

Not enough staff
    Lots of pressure on low paid workers due to this
    Pay is not great
    Long hours and not enough FTE mean that quite often the store has long queues. Also sticking to old contract perks (like term time only contracts) no longer work in a retail environment

Review budgets on staff -- targets can't be hit if you don't have enough people on the shop floor