Boots

Updated August 18, 2014

3.3

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts
Simon Roberts

Pros
  • Staff discount was good and always felt appreciated as an employe (in 18 reviews)

• that never see you stuck, good discount compared to other retail stores (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours culture that is just expected (in 7 reviews)

• Training was computer based but trying to find time away from the shop floor to do this was difficult (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Not too bad, but could be much better

Pros

The professional looking uniform and the name of the company makes you a kind of proud working for them. Many of the employees are students who work part time (not overworked and still hopeful :) ) and most of the employees are intelligent and nice so they can make a good team. Working for a small store can be a great experience and also you can learn a lot in many areas. Small stores are also better for development within the company as they get know you better and find you the right way of development.

Cons

Working for bigger stores is awful. People are competing for every position, little treat or anything and you hardly get the chance for developing in you r career, you are more a number than a person. There are a lot of managers and they all competing and want different things from you, if one is happy with you it is sure another one won't be... I also experienced that managers like to threaten you more than to encourage you, they praise you with one thing and then tell you off for 5 just so you won't feel too happy about yourself. The most annoying thing that they force you to give out customer satisfaction surveys with detailed explanation that annoys the customers and when they leave you with a rude comment it makes you feel awful. The colleagues are also not that nice in big stores as there are clicks (many time speaking a different language even on the shop floor, so you don't understand whats going on...), and if you can't find your own click you are going to be very lonely.

Secret shoppers are a better motivation to work well all the time, forced surveys are just annoying for customers and employees and not necessarily show the realistic value of an employee. The constant changes with the company make employee's life worse and worse, more encouragement for workers and less threats would make them feel and perform better.

not for me, but could be your future

Current Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)

Pros

there are many policies that are aimed at helping and supporting, good support around your life if you have difficulties. if you choose this as a life time commitment this is a great company to work for but you need to be ready to be stuck in the same routine every day for the rest of your working life.

Cons

boring daily routine, even when new routines are applied you are so stuck in the same one you are resistant to change, not a job were you will be at your best, colleagues become like a family so expect to have good and very bad day's with them. you are the tool the company uses to make money so expect to be kept just happy enough with little effort and great return for them

general assistants need to be appreciated more and that way they can give more to the company and as well to the store, giving a little and getting a lot is one of the most important information's a manager should have as a rule when being promoted

Great company but doesn't reward staff with competitive pay

Pros

The history of the company is brilliant an has a strong heritage. Has a great concept of how they should work. Training is brilliant.

Cons

The biggest issue is that your salary is not in line with the market, even though you are told they are.

You have some fantastic staff that deserve more recognition an that would start with giving employees a fair pay.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Well structured, challenging but didn't feel valued.

Former Employee - Pharmacy Summer Placement
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Summer Placement

Pros

Good structure of learning, good organisation in terms of head office sending me information etc.

Cons

Felt like I was being disapproved for speaking up at learning days, was paid incorrectly.

Set up some way in which regional professionals can get together in a sociable climate, encourage a more open door policy for workers with new ideas to revolutionise the way boots stores do things.

Excellent

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Notting Hill, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Notting Hill, England (UK)

Pros

Great development opportunities
    Flexible management
    Good holiday entitlement
    Sunday premiums
    Discount

Cons

Long hours
    Lower pay than competitors
    Stress filled!

I Love It

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

Pros

Great place to work, doing something different every day, managers know exactly what they are doing have give excellent guidance! that never see you stuck, good discount compared to other retail stores.

Cons

its ether a feast or a famine in regards to hours and contracts are hard to get, if you do get one it will be a 3/4 hour contract with some extra duty as and when you are needed.

i must say i have one of the best managers about! she keeps us up to date on company strategies, targets, performance and how we as a team can improve on delivering legendary customer service.

Fun place to work but stressful at times

Former Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)

Pros

Worked with some really nice people and definitely made some friends for life. Was always kept busy and there was never a dull moment working on the shop floor. Staff discount was good and always felt appreciated as an employe.

Cons

Store was extremely busy over the christmas period and staffing levels were not increased as much as they possibly should have been. Had a lot of work that needed doing on the shop floor but I was needed on tills rather than putting stock out. This meant that when I was no longer needed on tills I had a lot to do to catch up with putting stock out which was stressful. Pay could also be slightly higher.

Increase staffing levels when stores are busy ie. over christmas etc.. Also make sure store managers are more professional as some in the store I worked in acted in an unprofessional manner with a lot of employees.

15 years of working with boots as a pharmacist

Current Employee - Pharmacist  in  Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Swansea, Wales (UK)

Pros

Since joining Boots I have to say they have always looked after me. From my first position as second pharmacist to my current role I have met so many people that I am proud to call my good friends. When Boots pharmacists get together through work you feel a sense of belonging. We are all in the same boat and we always have a good chin wag as to what is going well as well as not so well.

Whenever I am stuck I alwAys know which person I can turn to, be it pharmacy or non pharmacy related. I get to wear my own clothes which I love as I know they will fit well and get to wear the colours that suit me and looking professional at the same time. What really makes me proud to work for Boots is the fact we all put the customer first. Customer service is second to none and I can't help compare he staff I work with to all other places I go to. I have to say the discount is amazing especially when treated to double discount days. I can treat myself to my YSL and Clinique without breaking the bank. When I got married and asked for 3 months off, that was no problem as well as finding me a job in the new area.

When I went on maternity leave I had a nice surprise of £100 vouchers which was very much needed. Overall I have seen pharmacists come and go but I have never felt compelled to leave. I'm with them for as long as they will have me!

Cons

For me, there haven't been many negatives. One thing that does spring to mind is the lack of openness is what is going on. One example is when I was being moved from one store to another, I was the last to know! At the time I did feel upset but now 4 years on I am happy to be working in my current store. They do push you to reach your targets. However I am quite target driven so that suits me. If you haven't reached your target you always feel you need to say why. Sometimes there is no reason!

I understand why there has to be a certain amount of non sharing of what's going on. However if it involves a certain person then I feel they should be one of the first to be told and not one of the last. It really hurts when you hear what is going on from another colleague who just can't wait to tell you the latest gossip! Communication is key to happy employees.

Great community, not so great management

Former Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Watford, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

I loved the sense of community, the fact that everyone knew and helped each other. There was always someone around to help you out if you didn't know what product was required etc... The pay was not too bad and the uniform was actually quite fun to wear.

Cons

There was almost as many managers as staff and their rules always conflicted with each other. I ended up having to quit because one had allowed my holiday time, and the other had said no. I tried to petition and they said that the higher manager was correct in this sense. Absolutely ridiculous. There was no real organisation, I was on the timetable at ridiculous hours, and usually I wasn't even forewarned as to when I was working. This is not a job for a person who is incapable of deciding what to do themselves.

Organisation, less of them, less conflicting views, COMMUNICATION with each other. When Simon was the manager everything was much more efficient, there were less 'power' hungry staff. Unfortunately the managers seemed almost sub-human, they did not understand my medical circumstances and they had not properly recorded them either. It's a shame, prior to management change and the new team system, Boots was a great place to work. Then 2013 happened.

Great Employer

Current Employee - Customer Assistant  in  York, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in York, England (UK)

Pros

Staff are lovely as are most customers so it is a joy to be at work. Managers friendly and allow flexibility with shifts and time off, firm but fair! Decent staff discount, learn loads on the job, rota is structured and well organised (most of the time).

Cons

No stools so can end up stood in one spot behind a till for 3 - 4 hours, which kills your legs! Self checkouts are a pain to man because they so frequently go wrong.

Worked for Boots? Contribute to the Community!