Boots Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
3.3

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts
Simon Roberts

Pros
  • Staff discount was good and always felt appreciated as an employe (in 18 reviews)

• that never see you stuck, good discount compared to other retail stores (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours culture that is just expected (in 7 reviews)

• Training was computer based but trying to find time away from the shop floor to do this was difficult (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

A company of which I will always be very fond.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Boots part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Boots is always professional, it undertakes excellent training approaches, and is a company that always seeks ways to strengthen its bond with its customers. On lower levels staff work great as a team.

Cons

There is very slight room for employee professional development, in terms of promotion. Moreover, the company is currently too understaffed and this has lead to an overall exhaustion of resources at ground level.

Listen to the concerns of your employees with an empathetic ear.

I enjoy going to work most days , I like the store I'm in, we have a good team .

Current Employee - Health Care Advisor  in  Gosport, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Health Care Advisor in Gosport, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great staff discounts , Good rates of pay, I work with a good team who are fun ,friendly and surportive. I'm able to work Mon - Fri .

Cons

We don't have enough staff in our store , some people have left / moved to other store and we haven't had them replaced . Some days can be very challenging because if this .
    The uniform isn't very weather friendly .

Put money into more staffing in stores , (not just mine) , If you have the staff in place shop liftting would go down and would save the company lots of lost money .

The friendliest, most welcoming place I've ever worked.

Current Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time for less than a year

Pros

Such a fantastic place to work: my colleagues are so helpful and great to work with and the managers are organised and supportive which is so encouraging. Staff discounts are great - 22.5% for Boots own products and 12.5% for everything else. When I first started at Boots, the guidance and training I recieved from my managers meant I could speak to customers with confidence about the store's products.

Cons

Sometimes too much is expected of you - too many tasks are given out in a day, especially when short staffed. Big focus on Feel Good Moments - when working in a very small and extremely busy store, customers are mostly too busy even take a reciept, nevermind listen to the feedback form.

As the new Boots app has been released, I think it would be more advantageous to send the Feel Good Moment forms to the customers account to allow staff at the tills to focus on the customer. Updating Boots systems would allow the company to be much more effecient - new till systems for example.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a good job if you like to be on your feet, talking to customers and working with other people.

Former Employee - Christmas Sales Assistant  in  Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Christmas Sales Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)

I worked at Boots as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The discount is very good, with a regular discount on normal products and more off Boots own brand products. The people were nice to work for and the manager always treated me fairly. I think the incentives to work there are good aswell because we had regular competitions over selling the most products.

Cons

It's constantly on your feet, so your feet might ache towards the end of the day. Some of the shifts are long aswell. We had to work quite late over the Christmas period, which can be stressful and sometimes understaffed if people call in sick.

I would say maybe try to provide stools for employees at the tills.

Busy and understaffed

Former Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good staff benefits, great training and prospects, Can transfer to another store late on in career

Cons

most stores are stretched and understaffed. Want you to give excellent customer service whilst doing operational tasks but get annoyed if you don't complete ops task

Easy money for a student.

Former Employee - Customer Assistant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Boots part-time for more than a year

Pros

- quite a good pay for this kind of job
    - overtime possibilities
    - discounts: 22.5% boots brands, 12.5% everything else, additionally some occasional double discounts
    - amazing colleagues, made loads of friends there

Cons

- hideous uniforms
    - monotonous and repetitive job
    - not much room for the career progression
    - long hours, short breaks
    - ridiculous rules - you can have an investigation for being 1minute late

Massive disproportions between their experience. Frequently, bad organisation and chaos. Also, very poor communication which caused problems to the colleagues e.g. lost holiday requests (imagine getting a phone call from a manager asking you why on earth you're not at work yet, while you are 2500 miles away!)

Hire more staff as it's getting ridiculous! Plenty of times I was the only one on the shop-floor (serving/assisting customers/pulling forward and pretending a security guard!).

Last but not least, the store's manager was an evil bully!

exciting, challenging, rewarding

Current Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser  in  Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Knowing that we are putting our customers first and always try our best to meet thier needs, Working with a great team of people. Working for a well known company a trusted brand, pride in the company Rewarded for achievements bonus for meeting targets, and of course staff discount

Cons

Staffing levels at times to tight, we do try and plug the holes with extra duties but this at times just is not enough and to much overtime becomes to much especially when you are fulltime we arent forced to do this , because of our commitment to our business we feel we should,

figures can be made to look anyway you want them to look, beaware there is life other than Boots and no i personally dont think we should have hours that are not required but when we say we are struggling listen, We are providing a service which should be better than the best, we are BOOTS

Make amazing friends and co-workers that help you out no matter what!

Current Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Gatwick, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Gatwick, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time for less than a year

Pros

you make good friends. you get a briefing on your store on how its doing in the market and its products, how much is selling, profits and loss made and what they could do and employees could do in order to improve. you get bonuses on how well you did and from getting feel good moments from customer care. pay rise after three months after probation. Boots really do value thier customers and i found this out after i forked from them. a gread deal of team work and managers are always roaming arund to see if everyones doing thier job and to see what there is to do so they could inform thier employee they this is to be done... there is no time limit and managers are really chilled out however at busy moments they want you to be on the till as soon as possible.

Cons

different managers are responsible for different things. some managers take care of shifts and so requesting them for a cirtain shift is hard as they will not give it to you. but many emplyees prefer different shifts however if someone is on an early on sunday but prefers a late and vis versa with a an other employee then co-workers team up together and swap shifts which works out in the end. I think managers should be organised and ask employees in what they prefer and they could worktogether and be a success.

Managers shuld take care on what shifts employees prefer as some may prefer cirtain shifts for a good reason i.e i prefer early shifts so i can go home and do work as i work saturday and sunday and in full time University education, plus comuting so finishing at 9:00pm/ 10:00pm (airport) is not a convenient time waen I have to wake up at 5am.
    Overal in management around the store and customer care as well as promotion is really good and we employees help to make it work!

A great company to work for!

Former Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Bracknell, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Bracknell, England (UK)

I worked at Boots part-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked part time on weekends so hours where manageable around my studying. Managers were friendly, approachable and would always offer help and guidance, we were always up to date with any training needed, I got on really well with my colleagues and enjoyed working with all of them. There was always something to do when the store wasn't busy, which was good as you never get bored and standing there doing nothing! the staff discount was a great bonus.

Cons

Often the store would be relatively quiet throughout the day and a large rush at lunch hour, with exceptions to christmas! There wasn't alot of overtime offered apart from during busy periods such as christmas and maybe over the summer holidays.

Sales plan was great but maybe needed more staff doing it in some cases!
    clearer guidance with holiday - as that often got confused!

I had no training, never knew what needed to be done!

Former Employee - Home Abd Leisure Sales Assistant  in  Fishponds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Home Abd Leisure Sales Assistant in Fishponds, England (UK)

I worked at Boots part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I guess it was relatively easy
    Made a friend, some were friendly others were not
    Discount, think it was %20

Cons

Managers had no idea who I was when I turned up for my first day of work
    I was supposed to work home and leisure but for the first 4 weeks worked on grocery department helping someone out
    No manager on my department to train me
    Manager of store just told me tasks to do, but I never knew what stock needed to be worked, what stock had already been worked, stock room was a complete sham
    I would put out stock I thought needed going out and then tidy department and would still get told I wasn't doing a good enough job
    Horrible manager when they finally assigned me one
    Didn't even give me the correct uniform
    Worked 8 hours for free because my clock in didn't work and when I inquired with HR she told me that it had been logged and I had been paid which I hadn't

Work on managers within the store, make sure they know what they are doing and that their employees know too!

Worked for Boots? Contribute to the Community!