Boots Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
3.3

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts
Simon Roberts

Pros
  • Staff discount was good and always felt appreciated as an employe (in 22 reviews)

• that never see you stuck, good discount compared to other retail stores (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and not enough FTE mean that quite often the store has long queues (in 10 reviews)

• poor management, little training, poor work life balance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

It was really pride to work for one of those standard companies

Former Employee - Team Manager III in Wrexham, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Manager III in Wrexham, Wales (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It has rich corporate values equipped with great standards of workplace. The environment was so friendly to work with and definitely / highly recommended place to work.

Cons

I am sorry, I could not find any cons during my work with Boots.

Remunerations needs to be considered and should be on par with the standard of the company.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very supportive company, I started as a customer assistant and within two years I have trained up to a healthcare advisor and now a dispenser and will go on to pharmacy technician and further.

Cons

The only things I can think are that because the company is so big it feels like you are just a figure not a person and the pay isn't great, other pharmacies pay much better for the same job. Also, the bonus wasn't good this year.

See everyone as a person rather than someone who will help the company reach targets.

Customer Assistant

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Durham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Durham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with a brilliant staff team in the Arnison Centre retail park store in Durham, Serving new customers all through the day and making customers happy, Enjoy working there, I am aged 17 and male and my pay rate per hour for my age is very good, Lots of overtime is given to staff during busy periods such as summer and christmas, Brilliant atmosphere to work in. Overall i am overly satisfied with my part time job as a customer assistant at boots at the present moment in time.

Cons

Personal growth and developing my future potential is currently unknown due to being only 17 years old. I would take any opportunity given to me to develop into a promotion. It can be challenging dealing with customers who are not happy no matter how much effort you try to put into it, but never the less it is very few customers who are like that. Budgets can be very hard to control and can be cut short.

One point i would like to improve within Boots is the Advantage card system. (Loyalty card). I believe that the physical form of putting the advantage card through the machine at the moment is not good enough due to it being chip faced upwards on the card and with there being two separate types of ad cards, The majority of customers will always assume that the card goes logo faced upwards whereas it is actually the card faced backwards with the magnetic chip facing upwards towards the till. It can be tiring to have to inform every customer the same information.

Customer assistant

I have been working at Boots part-time (more than an year)

Pros

e-learning is good; free staff uniform; staff discount

Cons

uniform can be too hot in a store without air-conditioning especially if you're putting out new stock. Lots of emphasis by management on 'feel good moments' submitted by customers. Problem is the surveys are randomly issued, unlike on the Pharmacy where they are given to virtually every customer, and how likely is a customer who gets one if they've only bought a sandwich to complete it? It adds pressure when you're working on the till to explain to busy customers about the benefits of completing a survey. With the launch of the Boots app perhaps randomly generated surveys could be delivered to customers here rather than at the tills? and our time would be better spent telling customers about the app?! Also recently lots of customers came into store to use their vouchers before they ran out: unfortunately the store ran out of lots of items and customers were left disappointed that they were unable to use their vouchers. Hmmm wonder how many 'feel good moments' this produced.....

Buying Assistant - Head Office

Current Employee - Category Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Category Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to meet people and make friends, good discount, free products and samples, great way to further understand retail and the way boots operates. Office culture is very much dependent on hierarchy and people will listen to your ideas more if were you at a higher level in the organisation.

Cons

Pay is very low for what category assistants do, they run promotional planners, pricing, distribution, product set ups, supplier management and relations but only get £15k per year which is just no enough in this day and age. Training was pretty much useless and quite generic to all CAs regardless of what category you look after.

The hierarchy system in my opinion is very outdated and terrible. doesn't serve great to motivate lowest level staff. There are 7 levels in the organisation - level 7 being the lowest. Naturally people in the organisation will be less inclined to new ideas coming from level 7s. You can be lucky with your line manager wanting to progress you as quick as possible however from my experience most line managers will want to keep you in your position for 2 years minimum.

When this is the case most CAs will want to progress which results in high competition internally and you will get a lot of CAs not wanting to help or pretty much try to slow your progress down and jump on any opportunity to outperform you so you need to fight for what you want pretty much.

I suggest being honest with whoever takes these roles and keeping it straight to the point with how long managers expect CAs to be in their roles for.

Team are generally good, but management is disgracefully.

Former Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Stafford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Stafford, England (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Team are willing to go the extra mile, esp the younger staff who want to prove themselves, but eventually they realise its really not worth the reward.

Cons

Bonus is non-existent, greivence policy is really bad, salary is well below average market rate, lack of staff, poor managemnt style, will never do anything about safety until patient is harmed.

Stop looking at the business as purely profit and start to realise that there are patients at the end of the scorecard not a figure

Great at first but shouldn't of transferred

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Boots as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Nice friendly atmosphere between staff. Most of the customers were friendly and you could have a nice conversation with them. very busy which helped the time pass quickly.

Cons

Much better working for a high street store, Most of the management were very unsympathetic, Would talk about you behind your back and most of the time looked like they didn't know how to manage a store. i only stayed as long as i did as i got on with all the staff. towards the end i hated coming in to work and most times would cry about it.

Despite the values that you claim make Boots who they are they definitely weren't being shown in that store. There is not just me who feels like this but no one else will say anything. I will never return to work for Boots and deeply disappointed with how i've been treated during my time there.

Worked as Temp for 6 months, was glad to leave... Very Cliquey, Overstaffed and Terrible Working Environment

I worked at Boots as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The positives about working here is that it was flexible (more due to frequent overstaffing), always gave the opportunity to put in extra hours to earn extra money. The clientele for the store i worked in were very nice and generally polite, never had any problems with engaging with customers and there were little problems with rude people. Some of the team I worked with were very nice

Cons

Working as a Temp automatically meant you were treated badly at the store I worked at - you were automatically given the worst jobs for the whole day and were criticised by the management heavily. For example, I once stopped to talk to a co-worker for a minute or so due to the shop being dead for most of the day and I had tidied the shelves several times (permanent employees would do this for more than 20 mins even when busy) and got threatened with the sack by my manager. Also, management will make you ask the same customers several times whether they need help... which clearly irritates the customer.
    If you want to work in a busy environment, don't work at Boots (The London/Shopping Centre jobs are probably different). Except for the 5 days before Christmas, it's completely dead and you're expected to 'look busy' for the most part of your shift - a task that gets tedious after the first week. I spent most of my employment there pacing up and down and tidying shelves.

My particular line manager was clearly only given the job because she devoted her life to Boots, not because she was actually competent or qualified to be a manger - all failures by her were blamed on lower down staff. Permanent staff were very cliquey, some were very unfriendly and when I was 'buddied up' with someone to train me she acted very condescending towards me.

Make training more worthwhile, treat temporary employees with more respect, serious issues with either understaffing/understaffing (can never seen to get the right balance) and some stores waste resources doing the 'advantage card' events, in the store I worked at it would have probably be more cost-effective not to open.
    Employ management who are actually academically qualified to run a business.

Customer Assistant

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Boots part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice atmosphere, you get awarded when get high score in surveys. Pretty easy, mostly operating tills. sometimes restocking shelves. Lots of events at store.

Cons

Sometimes customers get annoyed when they need to wait in Q. You may feel bored after all day at tills. They don'y pay for breaks.

interesting, and exhilarating

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Fowey, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Fowey, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time (less than an year)

Pros

really friendly staff, and a lovely company to work for

Cons

dealing with arrogant and rude customers

keep with how your going, team management is great!!