Boots

Updated January 22, 2015
3.3

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts
Simon Roberts

Pros
  • Staff discount was good and always felt appreciated as an employe (in 25 reviews)

• Always had good discount for Boots products and double discount days for staff (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and not enough FTE mean that quite often the store has long queues (in 11 reviews)

• customer service ethic disappears beyond the application and interview (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

great

Current Employee - Dispenser in Girvan, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Dispenser in Girvan, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

friendly company with good pay and bonuses for noticing the staffs roles

Cons

very busy and would be nice to have a bit more time with the customer

Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Cheltenham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Cheltenham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount is good, and it is a sociable job/role to work in. It's always good to know about the up-coming products and be the first to know all about them. Staff are extremely friendly.

Cons

Dislike standing all day - breaks are unpaid. Long hours without seating, managers can come across negative. No communication between managers, some do not know how to do their job properly - a number of occasions I haven't been paid correctly/extra duty not accounted for.

just ok

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good holidays and discount offers having the right manager who you get along with and feel like you can approach makes a big difference to your working day

Cons

one person doing 10 jobs no time for customer service everyone under pressure all of the time rates of pay not good esp for time served employees uniforms are not very nice and its hard work getting new ones . hours do not suit my family life and i find it a big challenge

come into shops and spend time on shop floor maybe talking to staff and customers seeing how a shop works not thinking they are royalty when they come to visit as it is the staff that do all the hard work for boots in bringing the customers into the shop and locking them in with us there is never no rewards or gratitude for what we do ,

It's alright...pay as a dispenser seems better than elsewhere

Former Employee - Dispenser
    Former Employee - Dispenser

I worked at Boots full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good progression over time for those who want it.

Cons

Unorganised management. Managers don't understand the role. Too many targets, things that are just to make money and don't always have a benefit to the customer, more of an annoyance. Simplification seems to just added more things for us to do, simplifying nothing!

Do the job your moaning at for people not reaching targets, understand it. Don't spend the years budget before september.
    Organise yourselves better and your team. Don't leave one person to cover healthcare and pharmacy after 5.30.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Healthcare Advisor in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Healthcare Advisor in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

friendly and helpful managers, were very considerate about my disability (arthritis in wrists), for example allowing me to perform different tasks on days when I was experiencing pain.

Cons

I would like to be able to take more frequent (but shorter) breaks, e.g. 3 x 20min breaks instead of having to take 1 hour.
    I do not like the fact that if you have to void something during a transaction (which is almost always beyond your control, e.g if a customer changes their mind about buying an item) the company sees this as a loss and you get in trouble. It isn't a loss at all if the item hasn't even left the premises!
    As a nil hours employee who still works pretty often I would like to be entitled to a staff discount card!

I started as a Sales Assistant but also trained on the No7 mini badge and am a trained Healthcare Advisor... it would be nice if this sort of thing would be reflected in your hourly rate as it increased my workload/ expectations from managers, with no recognition of this!

A great few years.

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really liked that the management were always there for you as an individual and were always helping you improve and learn by giving you regular feedback. I felt that in the last two years I have really developed for example my social skills and my attitude to criticism and knock backs for example if a customer was not satisfied with a product or not interested what you were trying to sell. I felt that they were always trying to improve levels of communication and improve the team. We would often have staff meetings in order to discuss the year and would is well and what isn't.

Cons

Quite a few of my colleagues have found it difficult to get permanent contracts or more hours but the store would hire more people instead of offering more hours to staff, which some would be rather annoyed about.

Try and give people more hours especially if they are good staff and willing to work.

Lovely people

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at boots for 2 years whilst studying. I loved it. Great people and I was sad to leave.

Cons

Nothing bad to say about my experience

Keep it up!

Very good employer, excellent workplace.

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Eastbourne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Eastbourne, England (UK)

I worked at Boots as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Ability to be creative and express ideas. Opportunity to progress and take part in training.

Cons

Long hours and unwilling to be flexible. Little work-life balance.

Ensure that student employees are not required to work excessively when studying for exams when they have given plenty of advance that this will be the case.

Good company, chance for growth.

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work life balance was good, chance for promotions to hard workers, good benefits and perks, especially in discounts and free products occasionally given out.

Cons

Starting to be a little more micro-managed which is never a good thing, the pay is sub-par and should be better. The software is horribly outdated.

The company changes a lot which leads to confusion and disappointment on the Customer Support Centre floor through lack of communication.

To be avoided...

I worked at Boots (more than 5 years)

Pros

Boots pays good money for retail and the working hours can be quite flexible. You can usually find a transfer if you need to move stores, and, if you can put up with it, it's quite a stable job...however

Cons

If you are University educated, you will find it very hard to get promoted. In the five years I spent at Boots, I applied over and over for promotion, and was always either completely ignored or refused. Hard work is not rewarded, and customers can be stupid, nasty, and rude virtually constantly. Worst of all is the 'Managers' are often too young to manage anything, and end up on a power trip. 'Rules' about various thing change from store to store, and nobody seems to know why or what the rules actually are. Things change, and staff are not informed, yet complained at for not knowing the information.
    Discrimination, bullying and gossip are absolutely rife, and the amount of ignorant people I have had to work alongside beggars belief. The things some other members of staff seemed to get away with were shocking, yet others were disciplined for less.
    Discount is poor, and family responsibilities are not respected ( I was disciplined for taking a morning off to care for my sick spouse).

Stop employing and especially promoting unpleasant people. Discrimination and bullying are a serious problem and was the reason I left.