Booz Allen Hamilton

2,243 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,351 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place for transition from science/tech background to business

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Booz Allen employees are collaborative, smart, and innovative
    - Multi-disciplinary team work is engaging and interesting
    - Everyone is interested in networking
    - Good hours for a consulting firm
    - Company emphasis on innovation

Cons

- The decentralization of the company makes it difficult to mingle with coworkers outside of your immediate project team
    - Recruiting strategy is unorganized

Develop a university-hiring plan. Hire a cohort of young people and let them build a community and support each other

Booz Allen Hamilton is a company that takes care of its employees needs and tries to provide opportunities for everyone.

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

There is a good work-life balance when working with government clients. The management is polite, respectful, and well-organized. Booz Allen compensates fairly. There are many opportunities to achieve outside of your client work in the form of service, committees, and other work.

Cons

Depending on the contract you work on, you may not enjoy the work you are doing from day to day. From my observation and experience, much of the government work feels menial and unambitious.

BAH Atlanta Office

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well known, prestigious consulting company. Work-life balance is pretty good. Name still resonates with people.

Cons

Office culture can be back stabbing and petty. Still relying on name and charging clients accordingly. Atlanta office has limited opportunities for growth compared with Washington, DC offices. Compensation is average for the industry, below competitors such as Deloitte, PwC, etc.

Stop micro-managing and let smart people work smartly.

Top heavy and male dominated

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

You will not have pressure here if you are looking for a lackadaisical government job. It's the most non competitive consulting environment I've ever been in.

Cons

Top heavy--lots of Project Managers, but most don't know much about what they are managing. It is also a very male dominated boys club and work is slow. If you are looking to move up, you have to be a favorite, and competence isn't taken into consideration, hence you will most likely be training your 'manager'. I have not been impressed. Lack of leadership, and lots of insecurity and attitude because of competence levels. I honestly don't know where my 'manager' is most of the time, or what he 'manages', or if it even matters really. This is not a place to stay too long if you are trying to advance your career by utilizing/gaining actual professional competency. It's frustrating now that I can tell I have more experience than the people working above me. I wish I had researched more about the Atlanta BAH before I took this job. At orientation in DC they make you watch a video, where the CEO emphasizes 'we picked you'. Nice attitude...and actually you didn't, I picked you. I had other opportunities because I actually have technical skills. I will be peacing out very soon, I hope my work ethic and skill set had an opportunity to rub off on some of your 'leadership'.

I don't really get the impression they want it, even about things I thought I was hired to do?

Work with smart people who do quality work

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Your co-workers and managers are very smart and dedicated
    Clients and work are interesting and meaningful
    Many opportunities for "connecting" with co-workers outside of client engagements
    Mentoring at all levels is encouraged and practiced

Cons

If you want to advance, expect long hours (typical of any company in management consulting). However, if you are happy at your level, work life balance is respected by managers (no "up or out" mentality).
    Everyone is expected to be billable, even as you advance in management responsibility. At some point this is more distracting than helpful.

Keep up the good work!

On a quick decline

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Diversity. Interesting projects. Benefits are good.

Cons

In the past year I got an excellent review, no pay raise, a lot more responsibility and less flexibility in my work schedule.

Don't cut the perks that set Booz Allen apart from other firms. There is no incentive now to stay.

Not what i was looking forward for

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- BAH is a good company to have in your resume (or at least it was). BAH used to be on of the top 5 strategic management consulting firms so many people associate BAH with the past.
    - The company used to have good benefits, but once it went public the company started cutting benefits left and right. Work life balance is good.

Cons

- Office environment: good old boy network. If you and you boss get a long you will get promoted quickly. Promotions do not take into account experience or performance.
    - Management is poor. As mentioned, people promoted are not the most adequate or capable, thus management does not know what they are doing. Management that come from without the company are mostly hired by their size of the roller deck.
    - BAH primary source of revenue if the federal government. Projects are not challenging, and most of the time involve minimal creativity and problem solving skills.
    - As of 2013, company's revenue has decrease significantly. Layoffs are projected and comany is projected to cut benefits.

The organization is top heavy. The company should trim the fat on top. Also, company should focus on keeping high performance employees and not keep and promote friends.

Great place for men

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Good training opportunities
    Good pay
    Time off when needed

Cons

Limited clients in Atlanta so no areas for growth
    Run entirely by men - women are not promoted as easily/quickly as men
    Limited clients means working outside of your capabilities, so you tend to stagnate.
    Since going public, every penny is counted and it is very hard to get anything approved.
    Very click-ie - hard for new employees to break in to the clicks.

Promote women, focus on creating new opportunities, loosen up and don't be so stuffy

Extreme disappointment in the lack of opportunities and leadership

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Decent benefits
    Good name on resume
    Many opportunities for training

Cons

Low pay
    Lack of living up to promises of workplace flexibility
    Lack of work
    Lack of opportunity
    Extremely poor leadership

Someone from the leadership in the DC area really needs to take a good look at the Atlanta office and pay attention to what people are saying in their exit interviews. Too often when someone from senior leadership comes down to the Atlanta office they are met with groveling, smoke and mirrors. The office politics are unbelievable and protect incompetent employees who are "favorites" of the right people. The office is like "The Lord of the Flies" with no adult supervision.

A great place to work

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Great training, salaries, benefits and collaboration opportunities with coworkers

Cons

Primary focus on federal government work in current times presents limits

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos