Booz Allen Hamilton

3.4 2,037 reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader

Ralph W. Shrader

(1,249 ratings)

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support(in 281 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters(in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance(in 102 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels(in 43 reviews)

2,037 Employee Reviews

Best company I have worked for

Associate (Current Employee) North Charleston, SC

ProsGreat colleagues. Leaders who care. Culture that expects excellence.

ConsLocal government client can be challenging.

Associate

Associate (Current Employee) Jacksonville, NC

ProsThe executive leadership truly believes in mentoring and educating the members if each perspective team. I also trust that each client can depend the ethical business decisions made by leadership.

ConsExtremely difficult and competitive when it comes to promotion. Need to have a more understandable roadmap to get promoted. Also the pay could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep challenging lower level managers to do more with their talents and resources.

Good learning experience

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsRuns like a well-oiled machine, well-organized. The benefits are decent, pay decent, although the days of lavish parties and generous compensations are gone. Company touts work-life balance, but depending on your manager, it can be like pulling teeth to be able to work from home if needed.

ConsBooz has a stellar reputation, however, the company has been trying to rest on those laurels and not necessarily adjusting to new realities of a cash-strapped government. Leadership is somewhat out of touch and the direction of the company is constantly changing--feeling a little chaotic

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in tune with where the government is at now, adjust, and let go of what the company used to be.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid company, good work/life balance, ok salaries

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsI enjoy working with everyone I have met in this company and that's what makes the job most enjoyable. Booz Allen is a solid company where you can switch careers but don't necessarily have to switch companies. They provide a lot of benefits such as 6% 401(k) matching, tuition reimbursement, parking fee reimbursement, etc. Booz Allen is very strong in its day-to-day operations activities. They have solid support from all of the commodity shops such as IT, HR, Accounting, etc., which allows employees to focus on their work and not getting paid on time, finding someone to fix their laptop, or getting quickly on-boarded to company policies. It's also a great place for military folks leaving the service and transitioning to a civilian career. Booz Allen primarily supports the Department of Defense and US Government, so military jargon and an understanding of military and government culture is desired. Also, since there are numerous veterans working at Booz Allen, it's a great place to find an immediate support group.

ConsIf you want to make the highest salary in the industry, don't work at Booz Allen. If you are looking for great mentors who will take you under their wing to show you the ropes, don't work at Booz Allen. Booz Allen requires its employees to be 100% proactive in managing their own careers. Booz Allen provides the resources and networking opportunities to be successful, but its on the employee to create their own success. Aside from the lack of mentorship, Booz Allen's culture since it has become publicly traded is to maximize shareholder value. Booz seems to have removed its concern for employees and put all emphasis on boosting the bottom line. This is frustrating as an employee because, as good as that is for the company as a whole, it sucks as an individual. All correspondence coming down from the higher ups details their actions as "good for the company" but anyone with any business sense can smell the accounting and finance tricks that are going on to keep the company financially healthy. Granted, it's a necessary evil, but it still makes me upset as an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back ECAP to compensate for the lower salaries, define a path to become a partner, and make that look more possible than it is now (2014). I've been advised by many higher level Booz Allen employees that making it to partner is nearly impossible and that I should look at smaller firms if I want to climb the ranks.

Senior Accountant

ProsFlexibility, Commute, Salary is all i want to share

Consnothing to share at the moment. No cons

"Sweatshop"

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsBooz Allen does have lots of contracts that you can transfer too

ConsThe corporate structure is built around working hard with little incentive for the said effort. If you have a bad Career Manager, your career with Booz Allen is stunted

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into smaller companies. They may not have as many contracts, but they will appreciate you for the work you do and do the best they can to keep you with them. Also, they have lower overhead and can pay far more that a company like Booz Allen.

On the decline to mediocrity

ProsStill has a good name.

ConsCompany has an identity crisis, is slow to adapt to changing markets, and is often more beauracratic than the Federal government.

Advice to Senior ManagementNight of 1000 knives.

My experience with the firm has been challenging and rewarding.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe firm offers great training and educational opportunities.

ConsThe challenges are the firm expects its employees to bill its clients 40 plus hours a week, yet in order to succeed within the firm employees are expected to work an additional 20 hours a week for the firm which can often be challenging if you have a demanding client schedule. In order to succeed you must be connected to your groups inner circle.

BAH Atlanta Office

Associate (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWell known, prestigious consulting company. Work-life balance is pretty good. Name still resonates with people.

ConsOffice culture can be back stabbing and petty. Still relying on name and charging clients accordingly. Atlanta office has limited opportunities for growth compared with Washington, DC offices. Compensation is average for the industry, below competitors such as Deloitte, PwC, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro-managing and let smart people work smartly.

Associate

Consultant Developer (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsSalary is Ok benefits are so so

ConsWorking conditions are such that I can't leave my chair for more than 15 minutes at a time

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!