Booz Allen Hamilton

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader

Ralph W. Shrader

(1,180 ratings)

1,905 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Many projects allow flexible working arrangements which help with work-life balance"
    in 246 reviews
  • "Great benefits and excellent utilization of technology to make your job easier"
    in 92 reviews
Cons:
  • "Booz Allen promotes the concept of work-life balance, but this is a facade"
    in 93 reviews
  • "You'll meet many people because so many leave regularly or are given "Lack of Work" letters"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great experience

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat room for personal growth. Upper management really want to see you succeed

ConsHard work life balance. The company expects a lot out of their employees

Amazing, team oriented Executive Assistant team!

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as a contractor for less than a year

ProsCompany really vetted me and "trained" me well to succeed for a very short period!

ConsAmazing opportunity could end without notice based on industry assignments.

Worth your time

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

ProsStrong support of job mobility from project to project; leadership strives to keep you gainfully employed and working on billable projects, but the majority of the search is placed on the employee

ConsIn a transition from primarily defense contracting to a blend of commercial and defense contracting - add in the fact that defense budgets are being cut you end up with a challenging environment with confusion as to where the billable projects are

Disappointing; I'm a commodity

Associate (Current Employee)
Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

ProsWork/life balance can be good. Co-workers are extremely smart. Benefits (not pay) are generous and feel like they are geared toward older employees The new People Model (assessment and career development program) shows promise. IT support is excellent.

Cons1) Not much consistency for determining if new hires should be Lead Associates or Associates; and little consistency across the firm for promotion to one or the other. Many Lead Associates seem to have been promoted due to technical proficiency, but they have poor people and project management skills.
2) There is a feeling that to be promoted you must 'do your time.' Highly skilled new employees often are placed into less impactful roles; those who have experience managing large teams or thriving in entrepreneurial environments are placed in more junior 'doer' roles where their strengths are left untouched.
3) The firm claims to value diversity but this does not seem to be true for diversity of perspectives (e.g., general management consultants who have worked outside of government, in smaller organizations or even internationally).
4) The culture, opportunities for growth and promotion are hard to figure out. There is a strong "you take control of your career" ethos. However, there's also a very fine line between encouraging employees to do all the work and poor management.
5) Internal communication at market and team level isn't great. I don't feel my team has a vision to rally behind and I can't see how our work fits with wider firm strategy.
6) I feel like 75% of my time is spent developing decks and thinking for folks 'up the chain.' -- half of which never see the light of day. Many Associates are stuck in 'content-generator' commodity roles and it's really demotivating.

Advice to Senior Management1) Use the tools and techniques shared with clients on internal practices.
2) Invest in practical people management training and skills for Lead Associates.
3) Improve the recruitment process and reinstate longer induction programs for employees, particularly into their markets or teams. The current firm-wide induction program is not long enough and should have a second part that is 'localized.'
4) Consider reducing the number of former employees re-hired into the firm. This only serves to continue the cycle of 'business-as-usual' and the market is demanding different ways of doing things.
5) Stop the practice of peers writing annual performance assessments. Performance assessments should be written by an employee's manager only and not handed to others as an exercise to give them more managerial experience.
6) Start asking new employees about their recruitment experience. This should be measured.

Old School Failure

Principal (Former Employee)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe salary and benefits are great. The work is very interesting depending on the market you work in. The company has a very good mentorship program. Promotions come fast if you work in sales and land a big client.

ConsThe culture, depending upon what office you work out of, is cut throat. The company has good and bad leaders. The good ones are new to the company and do not try to force the "Booz Allen way" down your throat. The bad leaders have been raised up within the company and have the "kiss the ring" mentality. If you do not bleed Booz Allen you are put on a pip and let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and bring in new management with fresh ideas. Stop trying to sell the "Booz Allen way" but just re-establish a normal work environment where there is trust between the employees.

Rebalancing partner corps can be done more smartly.

New York, NY

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStaying busy, always learning, and in shape for client team "combat"
Learn not only technical skills, but potent organizational survival skills
Enjoying remaining reputational glow; the company is still "different"--in some good ways, e.g., historical positioning, record of service in prior decades

ConsDisconcerting that top mgt is cut in waves; have heard now they're looking for another 15+ SVPs and EVPs to RIF; while no tears for them, it does reflect a multiplier of many more junior staff who will get cut loose. I agree that growth is nil/negative and profitability is nothing to write home about, but that is not how holders make money. (See "special" divs, bonuses.)
Compensation for people below SVP is declining. Raises are absent or negl.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware that while lopping of execs is warranted in many cases, this projects an ominous shadow on the entire workforce. Why not get it over with and gut 'er good and be done with it? Do more to restore morale in meaningful ways, e.g., comp, promotions, better tone at top. Allow open and honest coverage of the firm in the media, as opposed to the usual manipulative puff pieces. And when Carlyle and Baron sell the firm, please be sure to sell it to a benign set of owners, rather than a repo artist or flipper.

Great for youngsters

Associate (Current Employee)
El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

ProsCulture is geared for recent grads, programs are focused on social events. Plenty of training available.

ConsWages tend to be on the low side, short duration of evaluation before employees are terminated. The office politics are horrific.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign.

Great reputation, solid people, big company

Lead Associate (Project Manager) (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

ProsWell recognized, decent work environment. Great clients doing awesome things. Your happiness depends on the projects you get staffed on.

ConsAverage training at best, cyclical business leads to lots of hiring and firing.

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer path seems weak when people are concerned about the company's future. Get people to be consultants again, not temp workers!

Associate

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood place to work with before it became public

ConsNot all Senir management has technical experience or DoD. It is all about the politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that your senior management know their area of operations

The worse company I have worked for in 35 years.

Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee)
Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFrom the outside the company appears to be the "model" for both the client and employee.

ConsI'm in my third year with BAH and believe it is the worse company I have worked for in 35 years.

The company touts itself as highly ethical but it's ethics are only client facing. I have never, in my over 35 years in the workforce, been treated as badly as an employee or manager/leader. I've had 9 "team leads" and 6 "career managers" in just over two years. None of them had or the same level of management or leadership experience I have and none of them have been able to provide or expressed any real guidance or interest in helping me move up or gain additional responsibility for promotion.

After my first year I was not debriefed on my evaluation by my program manager as I was told I would be. He was simply "too busy." The next year the same thing happened.

I have several other reasons for being unhappy with this company relating to promotions/opportunities, having to use personnel time to participate in company sponsored functions, and lack of assistance and poor quality mid-level leadership.

I believe I have given BAH more than an ample opportunity to prove me wrong but I stand by my opinion that it is a horrible company to work for.

I am transferring with active duty spouse this year and I would not consider staying with BAH even if it meant giving up my career.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your employees that they have value by identifying and hiring real managers and leaders with experience necessary to work with both employees and clients to do what's best for both not just the companies bottom line.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Booz Allen Hamilton reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Booz Allen Hamilton CEO Ralph W. Shrader. All 1,905 reviews posted anonymously by Booz Allen Hamilton employees.