Booz Allen Hamilton
3.4 of 5 1,905 reviews
www.boozallen.com McLean, VA 5000+ Employees

Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Many projects allow flexible working arrangements which help with work-life balance"
    in 246 reviews
  • "Great benefits and excellent utilization of technology to make your job easier"
    in 92 reviews
Cons:
  • "Booz Allen promotes the concept of work-life balance, but this is a facade"
    in 93 reviews
  • "You'll meet many people because so many leave regularly or are given "Lack of Work" letters"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great, firm good work/life balance

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

ProsInteresting work...good people....good benefits..work life balance, i would definitely recommend to anyone that would want to reasonably interesting work while having good balance...great benefits

Constakes time to move up the chain especially as you get higher, salaries could be better they try to low ball you because of the brand

Advice to Senior Managementpay competitive salaries is decent, but there are definitely firms that pay better. %age increases each year are ok but not great could be better...

So far so good

Consultant (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

ProsBooz Allen offers a competitive total compensation package, but the real deal-sealer is the work-life balance it affords its employees. The right person can flourish with the lateral and upward mobility that is available here.

ConsEmployees are only eligible for promotion or salary adjustment on an annual basis. While it is a thorough and relatively fair process, it is disappointing to wait a whole year to show progress against development items.

Advice to Senior ManagementBAH is growing too quickly to retain the same culture that has made it successful. Focus more on retention and re-competes rather than ambitious growth targets that pad your 401(k)s.

Very solid

Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

ProsIt is easy to move around the company on various projects if you find yourself on one that does not suit your style.

ConsThe culture is very Corporate America and as such can be extremely formal at times. However, if that is what you like then you are fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need more flexibilities with younger consultants as well as the ability for younger consultants to have more of a hands on mentoring.

Not a great place to expand your technical knowledge.

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

ProsGood benefits, salary is relatively competitive with other firms in the DC area when you factor in the benefits & the name for the resume. A variety of opportunities and career paths. Many of the employees are experts in their fields.

ConsSalary (by itself) is not great. Salary appears to be arbitrary and varies widely (10K+) by team/office -- even if in the same metro area. Difficult to move to other projects. Highly technical people need not apply, they just don't have a wide array of technical work that needs to get done. Full battle gear business attire is required every day. There answer to everything is "it depends." They should be able to give straight answers, particularly to new college grads.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the words "it depends" from your recruiting process. Job offers should be firm, or at the very least include a clause stating that your actual placement might be drastically different than the offer. Stop hiring technical people (ie. Computer Science grads) if you can't place them in positions that utilize those skills.

Solid career, pretty happy.

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

ProsGood business model, assessments are fair.

ConsReally hard to advance past Associate.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpread out levels of advancement so that everyone is not a 3!

Booz Allen has grown

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

ProsWork life balance is very good. They are located everywhere which makes looking for jobs internall if you move very nice.

ConsIt has grown enormously and I don't know if the management has fully figured out how to handle it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on cutting off some of the fluff in the company. There are too many employees for the work. Stop taking advantage of the government.

Great place to work, many opportunities

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

ProsThis place is absolutely full of some of the most educated, optimistic, intelligent and flexible people I have ever worked with. For the most part, Associates and below make excellent employees, collaborators and friends. I have felt challenged and full of great things to do.

ConsMany of the large contracts run by Booz Allen are so far distanced from the company that many employees become more of a fixture in their individual contract than in the company at large.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a track for those in the company who wish to continue to improve their skills in their chosen discipline, rather than requiring all managers to sell business and win contracts to get ahead.

good work life balance, not great for development

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Proswork life balance, great name recognition, great location

Constraining is mediocre and not as thorough as at other comparable consulting firms

Advice to Senior Managementpush your young talent harder/into stretch assignments and rotate them more often

No response

Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

ProsThe online training available it adequate. The option for tuition reimbursement is great, if you want to take courses during your tenure.

ConsI have had no support from my team. My admin is very stressed and has pressure from his leader that is funneled down.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace your employees where they prefer to work and they will be happier. Offer more flexibility for home/work life balance.

Not good for Health

Associate (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

ProsMoney, career advancement if you are in the right industry practice, great networking with other people at your level, good strategy experience

ConsThe Principals (Associate becomes Senior Associate becomes Principal becomes Partner) are often the study leads, but can be horrible people managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage managers to create team loyalty by being nice to the staff. I know there is work to be done, but the Associates are smart folks chosen for a reason, and undermining them constantly makes for a bad work environment.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Booz Allen Hamilton reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Booz Allen Hamilton CEO Ralph W. Shrader. All 200 reviews posted anonymously by Booz Allen Hamilton employees.