Booz Allen Hamilton

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader

Ralph W. Shrader

(1,240 ratings)

2,020 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Culture: The firm and my management team really care about my work-life balance"
    in 275 reviews
  • "High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters"
    in 96 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance"
    in 99 reviews
  • "lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels"
    in 42 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A once-proud firm on its way to becoming an also-ran contracting house.

Annapolis Junction, MD

ProsBooz Allen has contacts everywhere. If you're looking for qualifications for a certain project or introduction to a government organization, you'll find a contact easily.
    There are lots of ways to keep in contact with colleagues. For example, one can search employee profiles on the intranet and have conversations on just about any topic on Yammer.
    Corporate parties are well-funded and well-planned.
    The company seems to be amenable to flexible work arrangements.
    The firm carried all its employees during the government shutdown. A welcome gesture when other contractors were being released for lack of funds.

ConsEverything shuts down for a month at the end of the fiscal year. It becomes frustrating when one has an active, funded contract but can't purchase, travel, or charge time because the company has to spend four weeks reconfiguring its accounting system.
    Speaking of accounting systems, nothing propagates automatically between systems. This means there is a relatively high probability of someone somewhere along the line fat-fingering your numbers. It also takes a long time to go from establishing a project to actually being able to work on it.
    I work in the Booz Allen Hamilton Engineering Services ... entity. Long story short, we were a division of another company, which Booz Allen acquired. They decided to keep us a separate entity, because Booz Allen isn't set up to do engineering work. However, this means we neither operate as a separate company nor operate as part of the Firm. So, for example, we have to run through two separate approval chains for everything - not conducive to fast-paced engineering work. It is also ambiguous who has control over what funds, who is managing what project, etc., which leads to infighting instead of cooperation.
    The firm is so proud of carrying its employees through the shutdown. However, with employees expected to work 10+ hours of unpaid overtime every week, that seems like the very least it could do.
    Finally, the firm is much too risk-averse. It encourages innovation, as long as the innovation doesn't threaten established processes or require purchasing anything. They're so afraid of their name appearing on the news that any novel project will be rejected at the highest levels of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither spin off Engineering Services into a completely separate company, or fully absorb it. Get your corporate systems more automated and interoperable. Take more risks or risk becoming an also-ran contractor.

2 years with the firm and so far, so good

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsCulture: The firm and my management team really care about my work-life balance. I rarely have to work past 7pm or on weekends. Also, since we have 360 degree reviews, upper management treats junior consultants pretty well.

Training: The firm offers many opportunities for training both in classrooms and online.

Resources: Given the firm's size (25,000+ people), consultants can email functional communities for help with client questions and firm data

ConsCulture: Limited interactions with people outside of your project team--Employees have to make more of an effort to network within Booz Allen since we often work on client site and barely make it to a BAH office.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for staff to network within the firm.

Excellent Company

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsThey value their employees and clients

ConsMay be difficult to navigate career without a mentor

Advice to Senior ManagementAssist staff in navigating career based on current and future aspirations

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The end of a once great company - or can new blood turn it around?

Associate (Current Employee)

ProsCarried personnel on the books during the great government layoff of 2013, lots of talented people, great clients, lots of opportunities for the company to grow their employees if they would only try

ConsMoved people into jobs and teams they didn't have skills for during the great layoff, then started laying them off in 2014, talented people are not well matched between their skill set and available jobs, resource management isn't much help when you are out of work- they send you the same job list you can view online, teams do not want to pay for moves from state to state, company is risk averse - so little to no jobs overseas or in emerging markets, no training for leadership positions - no path for upward career progression - possible to stay the same level for several years as there is no path for promotion - lip service is given to intermediate and advanced stages for career progression but once completed, you find yourself still without a pay raise and without advancement to the next level, while your supervisor lags behind you in education, one of the few companies where academic credentials are only useful when they are trimming the middle staff, cut benefits under the guise of streamlining options with one choice of dental insurance, and one choice for vision which might be ok if you are in a metropolitan area but difficult in an area not near the East coast, cut employee profit sharing which was prorated in the first place to now a 401k match which only kicks in if you have uninterrupted employment with them all 365 days - not possible when contracts stop/start at the end of every fiscal year with the client, evaluations have been getting pushed back further and further with some staff not seeing one in over 1.5 years - of course that is directly connected with salary actions which kick the car for any raise down the road some more, fictitious cost of living % pay raises never happened, the further you are from Booz HQ the less you will enjoy the job, will never see leadership unless it is a winter festival party since we do not celebrate Christmas inside the firm, sensing sessions are done a couple of times a year via anonymous survey and of the hundreds of questions only the top 5 positive ones are shared via a mass email, most employees are upset but fear repercussions of the loss of job to speak up, best company status? Gym memberships, daycare, team events, these and other things must be only at HQ as they do not exist at other sites

Advice to Senior ManagementGo through the resumes you made everyone post and realign talent with skill, when you have an open job, query your employees resumes first - so many times jobs could be filled but the incoming team doesn't want to pay for the move, offer advancement for those looking for opportunity, stop depending on yammer which is blocked at most client sites, offer a 360 review of all supervisors so their employees can rate them for once, offer at least 2 options for dental and vision, offer salary increase for those not requiring medical insurance as 1/4 of the employees have tricare, give raises, cut deadweight staff, create a proposal team within HR who would work on winning work freeing up client facing staff, mentor staff for progression - reach down into the Associate staff and start training some of these skilled people with graduate level education and client experience, allow innovation, dream again like you once did

The worst experience I have ever had in my almost 10 years working in gov't contracts. DO NOT WORK IN PRICING

Senior Pricing Analyst (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsThis section is non applicable as I cannot think of any pros of working for BAH.

ConsWhere to begin.....no one, not your supervisor, not your career manager, no one has your back. This is something very important to have when you are just starting at a new company. Client Staff can notify you of a change literally less than 60 minutes before a deadline and it will still fall on you....no matter what. And it will be counted against you and client staff will not even be questioned.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave your employee's back since they are the ones in the trenches all day actually doing the work for you and making you look good. If you do not do this than you will continue to operate like a brand new company every 5 years, hence the 20% turnover rate.

Great place to work

ProsTraining, advancement, increasing responsibilities. Work life balance, Internal support structure seems positive.

ConsClimate has changed a lot in the past 15 years. Constant restructuring .

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the little things.

First class consulting Firm

ProsBooz Allen is hands down one of the best companies to work for. Good compensation, excellent benefits, and a business built on solid core values. Their reputation precedes them as providing the best top of the line consultants in the business that are truly expected to provide solutions that endure.

ConsThere are really no cons to a career with Booz Allen Hamilton. As with all companies today, the contracting environment is increasingly difficult and understandably your job security is based on availability of billable contract work. No company, regardless of size, can sustain staff without revenue however, Booz Allen offers more assistance than most in trying to retain staff.

Good company, tough market

Herndon, VA

ProsCulture is young to experience, great working atmosphere, great benefits and alot of opportunity to gain new skills, always feel you can voice where you want to go and have the career manager back you on it. Great mentors as long as they stay with the company.

ConsTough to obtain the pay you should earn given the market and looking for experienced candidates with low salaries. With tighter scrutiny on contracts and the competitive field, Booz Allen is back at the drawing board in learning how to win competitive work. After Booz went public the feel of employee's first has gone and it's now bottom line first. More emphasis on the employee's is going to be needed in order to stay where they need to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart having higher level management be realistic about what we go after and arm middle management with the tools to discuss changes going on within the company. We're losing talent.

Over the course of 10 years I worked there things changed...

Orange, CA

ProsI worked for really great Vice Presidents within Booz Allen. They cared deeply about their people. Took good care of them. For the most part that culture permeated down to directors and managers. For that portion of my career I got promoted and felt like I had good growth potential until the later part of my time there.

ConsThere were teams who's management did not care very much. As with any company the experience was dependent upon the managers. It's primarily a government contracting/consulting firm. The market was changing when I was there from a model where consulting thought leadership was appreciated by government clients to a staff augmentation model. Two very different markets. I've slowly seen really good people leave and move on to other great endeavors.

Smart people, but traditional and bureaucratic depending on your team alignment.

ProsBooz Allen is a consulting firm that often inherits the culture and values of the clients they work for. So, depending on which clients and teams you are aligned to, you can expect vastly different experiences. The people are smart, and the culture is not as cutthroat as some other consulting firms, benefited by the longer projects and more stable timelines. It's definitely a great place for stability, but don't expect to be challenged, or receive the growth potential and appreciation that you might get with other firms.

ConsThe biggest problem currently is the bad market. It's doing fairly well at not losing values in the face of stiffer competition and less work, but the impact can be seen everywhere, from training reduction, to cuts on perks, to less flexibility and risk taking. There's also the problem of strategic hiring of individuals who don't fit the company culture or level of intelligence, but exist as managers because of their revolving door connections with the government.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify your markets, and bring younger ideas to the leadership table.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!

Booz Allen Hamilton Videos

Booz Allen Hamilton – Why Work for Us?

We're looking for people with brains and heart. We believe in vision and passion. Being part of something bigger than a company or job matters to our employees. When you join Booz Allen, you’ll help some of the most… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Booz Allen Hamilton reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Booz Allen Hamilton CEO Ralph W. Shrader. All 2,020 reviews posted anonymously by Booz Allen Hamilton employees.