Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.2
Horacio D. Rozanski

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is pretty awesome (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • It's challenging to find proper work/life balance (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

1. Professional Firm

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Strategic Communications in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Strategic Communications in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Booz Allen Hamilton has a very great benefits package for all of their employees. They understand that personal situations happen and have a wonderful amount of flexibility for most of the work.

Cons

The firm is growing quickly and this is a positive sign, although that brings with it extra work to do. Nothing else that can be considered a 'con'.

Advice to Management

None.

Great place to work once you come to terms with the culture.

Former Employee - Associate in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, a wealth of knowledge and experience in the company, mentors are at every turn, culture is aimed at developing and growing employees.

Cons

When I first showed up to work I noticed immediately I was by far the youngest person around. I thought at first that was normal but then I noticed more and more over my next 4 years that there is some age discrimination. Not in hiring or blatant but it exists. I was passed over as the lead on projects multiple times by people who were just as, or even less, qualified than I was but they were older. They claim to be a "flat" organization but the hierarchy is very clear. Because most of the staff is former military the culture subsequently became a very militaristic type work environment. In most ways it was good but it did not allow for a lot of chances to disagree or challenge the status quo without being seen as a troublemaker.

Advice to Management

Listen to the young people. I promise you that if you give them autonomy and responsibility they will take the firm to places it has never been before. We used to be a top dog but now we are seen as that old dog who has picked his spot with government and waits for its scraps. We have a group called the Strategic Innovation Group, they have not innovated a thing, ever! They take other peoples ideas and try to build on them. You CANNOT innovate sitting in McLean, VA you need to embrace tech and changing times and go out and find the next big thing that is going to put you back on the map!

Takes care of employees even in harshest economic times

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company trusted me to perform on a client-facing contract the way I saw fit. There was a lot of flexibility, so long as I remembered that my role was as a consultant for the firm and not an employee for the contracting entity.

The local office offered many opportunities to network within the firm after contracted work hours.

During the government shutdown, BAH found creative and fair ways of holding onto a large majority of its employees.

I was able to participate in the interview process for manning a new contract.

Cons

In my particular case, I felt that first and second levels of management failed to correct bad feelings between two separate, but closely related, clients, leaving me as the fall guy in the middle. I expect more from the retired military Colonels and General Officers who hold these management positions.

In order to advance after the first year or two, one must be involved in getting new business or expanding current business. Management ignored the four new business and one expanded business ideas I floated.

Advice to Management

I encourage Senior Associates and Principals to get to know the skills, talents and desires of their Consultants and Associates so they can better match them to the current and future needs of the company.

Show interest in self-motivated Associates who show initiative. Walk them through the processes of creating new business for the firm.

5. Most professional company I have worked for.

Current Employee - Network Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Network Analyst in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely professional, people oriented, great reputation, promotions, lots of opportunities.

Cons

Lots of email, multi chain of command, strict dress code, and sometimes to much policy training.

The worse company I have worked for in 35 years.

Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From the outside the company appears to be the "model" for both the client and employee.

Cons

I'm in my third year with BAH and believe it is the worse company I have worked for in 35 years.

The company touts itself as highly ethical but it's ethics are only client facing. I have never, in my over 35 years in the workforce, been treated as badly as an employee or manager/leader. I've had 9 "team leads" and 6 "career managers" in just over two years. None of them had or the same level of management or leadership experience I have and none of them have been able to provide or expressed any real guidance or interest in helping me move up or gain additional responsibility for promotion.

After my first year I was not debriefed on my evaluation by my program manager as I was told I would be. He was simply "too busy." The next year the same thing happened.

I have several other reasons for being unhappy with this company relating to promotions/opportunities, having to use personnel time to participate in company sponsored functions, and lack of assistance and poor quality mid-level leadership.

I believe I have given BAH more than an ample opportunity to prove me wrong but I stand by my opinion that it is a horrible company to work for.

I am transferring with active duty spouse this year and I would not consider staying with BAH even if it meant giving up my career.

Advice to Management

Show your employees that they have value by identifying and hiring real managers and leaders with experience necessary to work with both employees and clients to do what's best for both not just the companies bottom line.

7. Quality collegues and interesting project

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great to be working for a brand name company that pays and recruits quality workers. Their reputation attracts interesting work. Very good work/life balance given that it's contract work. They have plenty of events if you really want to network.

Cons

Like any contracting job, you don't get to see many other collegues on a day-to-day unless you attend the outside events on your own time.

I haven't worked here very long, but so far I don't have any complaints.

Advice to Management

Reading other reviews, I keep getting the nagging feeling that I'm under paid.

Make the Booz Allen internal websites more accessible outside where I'm working.

8. Great Job...miss it!

Former Employee - Receptionist in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, lots to learn and competitive pay.

Cons

The stress of those yearly assessments.

A tough environment that employs a wide variety of employees that forces you to go above and beyond to stand out.

Current Employee - Associate in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Associate in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits system and a wide variety of free classes and training which allow you to take charge of your own career.

Cons

It is a very mature company which forces the younger crowd to work harder to get ahead. Not as fiscally rewarding as other companies for the same work.

Advice to Management

Adequately compensate the staff not based on the Rolodex they bring to the table but by the work they do and the product they provide.

10. Solid Consulting Experience

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits and talented employees

Cons

Recruit too heavily from the military. Not enough diversity

Advice to Management

Be more like consultants and less like a temp agency

Booz Allen Hamilton is a professional consulting firm with a focus on high quality not quantity delivery to clients.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Booz Allen is populated with the best in the industry. They are driven by a very honest set of core values. The focus is always on doing what is right even if that means saying no to business.

Cons

Very demanding work schedule. The firm is known for pushing their benefits package to make up for the sometimes lower salaries.

Advice to Management

Booz Allen is going to have a difficult time with continued double digit (almost) growth every year and still maintain the family atmosphere that makes them a great company to work for. The sometimes constant focus for growth seems like only for growth's sake. Hopefully, Booz Allen doesn't let the quest for profit get in the way of producing the best possible products for clients everywhere.

Showing 14 of 2,544 reviews