Booz Allen Hamilton

Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews in Herndon, VA

Updated Jun 10, 2014

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader

Ralph W. Shrader

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support(in 281 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters(in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance(in 102 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels(in 43 reviews)

98 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Booz Allen is a great place to start your carrier!The people in their are really nice and helpful!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsGood training! the atmosphere of the job is good

ConsHard to fit in a first year

Good company, tough market

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsCulture is young to experience, great working atmosphere, great benefits and alot of opportunity to gain new skills, always feel you can voice where you want to go and have the career manager back you on it. Great mentors as long as they stay with the company.

ConsTough to obtain the pay you should earn given the market and looking for experienced candidates with low salaries. With tighter scrutiny on contracts and the competitive field, Booz Allen is back at the drawing board in learning how to win competitive work. After Booz went public the feel of employee's first has gone and it's now bottom line first. More emphasis on the employee's is going to be needed in order to stay where they need to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart having higher level management be realistic about what we go after and arm middle management with the tools to discuss changes going on within the company. We're losing talent.

Treated well and happy with BAH. I was a lucky one on a good team......some aren't as lucky.

Cyber Security Analyst (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsBAH has treated me well, as an intern, as a FT employee, and as a person. I have really enjoyed the people I've worked with. Some of the smartest/brightest people I've ever met has been at Booz.

ConsBenefits have gotten slashed in the past few years and the experience you have at BAH is typically "team focused" meaning...if you have a great team, you'll have a good job....but a bad team means your life could be a living hell. It all depends, if you aren't sure about the team that your about to on-board with....be careful in your decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring top talent....not the average Joe-Smoe's that keep getting on contract because they are "cheap". Also, focus on the commercial markets, they're the clients that are actually fun and exciting to work for.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Associate (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

Prosgood place to work, good work/life balance

Consvery dependent on us government jobs

Disappointing; I'm a commodity

Associate (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsWork/life balance can be good. Co-workers are extremely smart. Benefits (not pay) are generous and feel like they are geared toward older employees The new People Model (assessment and career development program) shows promise. IT support is excellent.

Cons1) Not much consistency for determining if new hires should be Lead Associates or Associates; and little consistency across the firm for promotion to one or the other. Many Lead Associates seem to have been promoted due to technical proficiency, but they have poor people and project management skills.
    2) There is a feeling that to be promoted you must 'do your time.' Highly skilled new employees often are placed into less impactful roles; those who have experience managing large teams or thriving in entrepreneurial environments are placed in more junior 'doer' roles where their strengths are left untouched.
    3) The firm claims to value diversity but this does not seem to be true for diversity of perspectives (e.g., general management consultants who have worked outside of government, in smaller organizations or even internationally).
    4) The culture, opportunities for growth and promotion are hard to figure out. There is a strong "you take control of your career" ethos. However, there's also a very fine line between encouraging employees to do all the work and poor management.
    5) Internal communication at market and team level isn't great. I don't feel my team has a vision to rally behind and I can't see how our work fits with wider firm strategy.
    6) I feel like 75% of my time is spent developing decks and thinking for folks 'up the chain.' -- half of which never see the light of day. Many Associates are stuck in 'content-generator' commodity roles and it's really demotivating.

Advice to Senior Management1) Use the tools and techniques shared with clients on internal practices.
    2) Invest in practical people management training and skills for Lead Associates.
    3) Improve the recruitment process and reinstate longer induction programs for employees, particularly into their markets or teams. The current firm-wide induction program is not long enough and should have a second part that is 'localized.'
    4) Consider reducing the number of former employees re-hired into the firm. This only serves to continue the cycle of 'business-as-usual' and the market is demanding different ways of doing things.
    5) Stop the practice of peers writing annual performance assessments. Performance assessments should be written by an employee's manager only and not handed to others as an exercise to give them more managerial experience.
    6) Start asking new employees about their recruitment experience. This should be measured.

Excellent experience

Associate Database Architect (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsStable, worldwide firm with great people and a true corporate integrity. Great array of clients across most US government agencies and some state & local, and foreign agencies. A growing healthcare practice, and limited foray back into commerical business.

ConsNone. No negative experiences while with the firm. Only left due to the US governmane sequester which de-funded my contract.

A Good Place to Launch Your Career

ProsGreat People, Interesting Work, Lots of Mobility

ConsToo Conservative, Less Competitive in Benefits,

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your rock-stars happy and trim the fat.

It's a good company to work for

Lead Associate (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsLearning experiences, interesting projects, smart and talented co-workers, tuition reimbursement, and other benefits as part of the total package.

ConsWork-life balance is not the best (work outside of client engagements is required in order to move up the ladder), salary adjustments have not been the same due to economy not doing too well

Solid business

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsGreat learning opportunities and established methods

ConsVery bureaucratic and inpersonal. Believe that working inefficient and non-collaboratively earns respect

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior executives should apply internally what they sell externally.

Very good company to work for

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsThis company has great benefits, you have an opportunity to build skills, take classes, college courses and move up, team spirit, good managers who care. If you want to move in to management this is the company to work for.

ConsLots of work, you need to be organized and empowered to take on the task at hand.
    Everyone is very busy so don't look to someone to hold your hand. You need to be a professional, if you are looking for someone to lead you or hold your hand you are not in the right place.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a great job!

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!