Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews in Herndon, VA

2,409 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,457 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 283 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance (in 103 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

105 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great! Entry Level Job

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Knowledgeable people, very fast pace work, everyone is proficient and above, volunteer work

Cons

pay raises, promotions, closing offices

Focus more on employee than stock holders

Good learning experience, smart people to work with, recent cost cutting measures rapidly deteriorating company culture

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

get on the right project, an you may learn a thing or two. company is rapidly heading towards more like a body shop, churning through college grads and feeding people through the pipe, but you might still run into a few more smart people on the team whom you can collaborate and work on cool stuff

slightly above average pay

Cons

you don't always get to work on the stuff that was promised when they interview you

if they can't clarify what you will be working on and mention anything with the word "investment", run like hell bc as soon as the funding goes dry you go bye bye

drastic cost cutting measures recently as they move everyone to a hoteling system (you do not get assigned seats and must fight with many other employes to get a seat in the office). They are trying to allow everyone to work from home, which sounds nice at first until you spend more than half of your time tracking time the people you need to talk to. Working over the VPN is completely horrible with frequent dropped and slow connection.

Oh by the way, they are shutting down offices and forcing everyone to drive to DC, have fun with the commute.

stop doing things that seem to deliberately hinder how your employee work. management is supposed to make collaboration easier, not impossible, pay serious attention to the high turn over rate, as the people who quit will spread the word about how horrible BAH has gotten

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Associate  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Had a Great team
    Used to have regular team events (twice a month)
    Work from home( with mandatory attendance on meetings alternate weeks)
    ECAP
    Mentoring opportunities ( not much effective though)
    Excellent internal training program
    Very good health benefits

Cons

Spending cuts
    reduced ECAP contribution
    not easy to grow career wise
    long hours
    not much budget was allocated for attending professional seminars and external training

Continue to cultivate open culture.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, tough market

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture is young to experience, great working atmosphere, great benefits and alot of opportunity to gain new skills, always feel you can voice where you want to go and have the career manager back you on it. Great mentors as long as they stay with the company.

Cons

Tough to obtain the pay you should earn given the market and looking for experienced candidates with low salaries. With tighter scrutiny on contracts and the competitive field, Booz Allen is back at the drawing board in learning how to win competitive work. After Booz went public the feel of employee's first has gone and it's now bottom line first. More emphasis on the employee's is going to be needed in order to stay where they need to be.

Start having higher level management be realistic about what we go after and arm middle management with the tools to discuss changes going on within the company. We're losing talent.

Booz Allen is a great place to start your carrier!The people in their are really nice and helpful!

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training! the atmosphere of the job is good

Cons

Hard to fit in a first year

Treated well and happy with BAH. I was a lucky one on a good team......some aren't as lucky.

Current Employee - Cyber Security Analyst  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Cyber Security Analyst in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

BAH has treated me well, as an intern, as a FT employee, and as a person. I have really enjoyed the people I've worked with. Some of the smartest/brightest people I've ever met has been at Booz.

Cons

Benefits have gotten slashed in the past few years and the experience you have at BAH is typically "team focused" meaning...if you have a great team, you'll have a good job....but a bad team means your life could be a living hell. It all depends, if you aren't sure about the team that your about to on-board with....be careful in your decision.

Keep hiring top talent....not the average Joe-Smoe's that keep getting on contract because they are "cheap". Also, focus on the commercial markets, they're the clients that are actually fun and exciting to work for.

Disappointing; I'm a commodity

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/life balance can be good. Co-workers are extremely smart. Benefits (not pay) are generous and feel like they are geared toward older employees The new People Model (assessment and career development program) shows promise. IT support is excellent.

Cons

1) Not much consistency for determining if new hires should be Lead Associates or Associates; and little consistency across the firm for promotion to one or the other. Many Lead Associates seem to have been promoted due to technical proficiency, but they have poor people and project management skills.
    2) There is a feeling that to be promoted you must 'do your time.' Highly skilled new employees often are placed into less impactful roles; those who have experience managing large teams or thriving in entrepreneurial environments are placed in more junior 'doer' roles where their strengths are left untouched.
    3) The firm claims to value diversity but this does not seem to be true for diversity of perspectives (e.g., general management consultants who have worked outside of government, in smaller organizations or even internationally).
    4) The culture, opportunities for growth and promotion are hard to figure out. There is a strong "you take control of your career" ethos. However, there's also a very fine line between encouraging employees to do all the work and poor management.
    5) Internal communication at market and team level isn't great. I don't feel my team has a vision to rally behind and I can't see how our work fits with wider firm strategy.
    6) I feel like 75% of my time is spent developing decks and thinking for folks 'up the chain.' -- half of which never see the light of day. Many Associates are stuck in 'content-generator' commodity roles and it's really demotivating.

1) Use the tools and techniques shared with clients on internal practices.
    2) Invest in practical people management training and skills for Lead Associates.
    3) Improve the recruitment process and reinstate longer induction programs for employees, particularly into their markets or teams. The current firm-wide induction program is not long enough and should have a second part that is 'localized.'
    4) Consider reducing the number of former employees re-hired into the firm. This only serves to continue the cycle of 'business-as-usual' and the market is demanding different ways of doing things.
    5) Stop the practice of peers writing annual performance assessments. Performance assessments should be written by an employee's manager only and not handed to others as an exercise to give them more managerial experience.
    6) Start asking new employees about their recruitment experience. This should be measured.

Good

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good place to work, good work/life balance

Cons

very dependent on us government jobs

Excellent experience

Former Employee - Associate Database Architect  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Database Architect in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stable, worldwide firm with great people and a true corporate integrity. Great array of clients across most US government agencies and some state & local, and foreign agencies. A growing healthcare practice, and limited foray back into commerical business.

Cons

None. No negative experiences while with the firm. Only left due to the US governmane sequester which de-funded my contract.

A Good Place to Launch Your Career

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great People, Interesting Work, Lots of Mobility

Cons

Too Conservative, Less Competitive in Benefits,

Make your rock-stars happy and trim the fat.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!